HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Training Camp Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
09-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
I don't see a clear cut first line or 3rd line with this team. I see them on an even footing, being considered 2A, 2B & 2C with the line that clicks the best on any given night being given better ice time.
Id have to agree, this is what probably should happen, but will therrien act accordingly, i dont know.

Old
09-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
He can skate the puck out of the defensive zone with a coffee in hand and not spill a drop.
Do they hand out awards for that?

Old
09-11-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
If Plekanec can be a 70 pts player with Kovalev and AK, I'm sure he will do well with Pacioretty as well if given the chance to play for a long period of time.

Plekanec became less productive because we rarely give him good wingers lately.
IMO...this a myth that's constantly repeated, that he doesn't play with good wingers. The only time this applied was during the terrible season when the Habs finished last and they basically iced an AHL team for 2nd half of the year.

Problem is this team relies on him to do EVERYTHING. That's why his production suffers, especially in the 2nd half.

Old
09-11-2013, 03:16 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Prust is 5'11.

Old
09-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Do they hand out awards for that?
I think its called the norris or something, cup shaped for larger amounts of said coffee

Old
09-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I just looked on the Habs site and noticed that all preseason games would be on RDS, I thought I had read on here they were not televising preseason games this year? Anyways just thought I'd post that in case some didn't know.

I always find these interesting agmes to watch, to see the rookies against some stronger opposition.

Old
09-11-2013, 03:22 PM
schumway2

Why would they not televise preseason games if they know people would watch it? Doesn't make much sense. The Canadiens are to Quebec what the NFL is to the U.S.

Old
09-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
But thats the thing, overlords is not stressing that they HAVE to be absolutely split up, he's just clarifying that DD + Max shouldnt be INSEPERABLE no matter what, if anything its dumb to think you CANT mess with it, leaving them together could be a big factor in where our season goes
I'm not suggesting they can't experiment with other lines from time to time, but just putting Pacioretty with Plekanec because it's considered the "#1 line" or Plekanec is the top center, is not a good enough reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Don't want to trade him either. I hate prospects being traded for so-called attitude problems when they are suddenly angels with their new teams. You work with guys like that. Beaulieu deserves that some people give them their time to work on things. But i'd go slowly with him. I'd make him be humble about this whole thing. Nothing should be given but earned.

I was a big fan of picking Beaulieu in his draft year and still I am a fan of what the player can bring. Not a fan of what he's doing now but not going to throw him under the bus...sticking to me liking him. But he needs to get going. He should have dominated the last 2 camps. He didn't. At best, he was okay. Not good enough for a guy who we think has a shot in the bigs from the start. Let's hope for a strong main camp. As of now, he's looking much more a Ron Hainsey than a All-Star but things can change quickly.

Personnally, I think it's a bigger season for Price than for any of those guys. So having Beaulieu out there, I don't think it reassures me as far as the quality of protection that Price will be getting....
He's attended an NHL training camp at 18 and didn't look out of place in exhibition games. He also looked pretty solid last year when called up, not sure how you can expect an 18 year old kid to dominate an NHL training camp, especially a d-man.

Beaulieu is like 10th on the depth chart, not sure where you see him as Price's "protection". Price needs to focus on stoping floaters, not worry about who is in front of him.

Old
09-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
If Plekanec can be a 70 pts player with Kovalev and AK, I'm sure he will do well with Pacioretty as well if given the chance to play for a long period of time.

Plekanec became less productive because we rarely give him good wingers lately.
You can't compare this team with that team. That year Plekanec was used almost exclusively in offensive situations and easier defensive matchups except some PK work. Koivu and Smolinski were taking tougher matchups.

You can increase Plekanec's production by giving him good wingers, but you also lessen the balance on offense and have to give DD tough matchups, which will hurt the team. Is it about pumping Plek's numbers or winning hockey games?

Old
09-11-2013, 03:33 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
IMO...this a myth that's constantly repeated, that he doesn't play with good wingers. The only time this applied was during the terrible season when the Habs finished last and they basically iced an AHL team for 2nd half of the year.

Problem is this team relies on him to do EVERYTHING. That's why his production suffers, especially in the 2nd half.
I agree, it's someone over repeated. However, it isn't untrue, and isn't exclusive to just one season.
Every year, other than possibly last year, he's been given wingers that are inconsistent, bad or in a slump.
Remember a couple years ago when Martin couldn't really find a 2nd working combination so he kept giving wingers that were excelling next to Plekanec to Gomez, and giving Plekanec guys so he could jump start them?

MaxPac should be his winger.

Old
09-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I just looked on the Habs site and noticed that all preseason games would be on RDS, I thought I had read on here they were not televising preseason games this year? Anyways just thought I'd post that in case some didn't know.

I always find these interesting agmes to watch, to see the rookies against some stronger opposition.
Nice. I actually went on the site on Monday and there was nothing. Glad they're on tv, can watch some of the rookies in action

Old
09-11-2013, 03:35 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Quote:

just show me some Galchenyuk with Collberg experimentations and ill be happy

Old
09-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Beaulieu is like 10th on the depth chart, not sure where you see him as Price's "protection". Price needs to focus on stoping floaters, not worry about who is in front of him.
The link is pretty obvious.
The better your Dmen are at clearing the front of the net and getting rebounds, then the better your goalie will be.

Price needs to improve his individual play, I agree, but this is a team sport after all. If you put a crap defense in front of Price, don't expect miracles.

Old
09-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
The better your Dmen are at clearing the front of the net and getting rebounds, then the better your goalie will be.

Price needs to improve his individual play, I agree, but this is a team sport after all. If you put a crap defense in front of Price, don't expect miracles.
The d-men had nothing to with some of the crap goals he gave up late in the season or the Ottawa series. Floaters from 50 feet with nobody in front have nothing to do with clearing the front of the net.

I'm not expecting miracles but at 6.5 mil I expect better than your average Micheal Leighton or Andrew Raycroft like we saw the last 6-7 weeks last year.

Old
09-11-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I agree, it's someone over repeated. However, it isn't untrue, and isn't exclusive to just one season.
Every year, other than possibly last year, he's been given wingers that are inconsistent, bad or in a slump.
Remember a couple years ago when Martin couldn't really find a 2nd working combination so he kept giving wingers that were excelling next to Plekanec to Gomez, and giving Plekanec guys so he could jump start them?

MaxPac should be his winger.
Not if the Habs are going to continue to use Plekanec in the role they're using him...meaning he's the designated center for defensive-zone draws.

I think Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta is probably the best combo for Plekanec...allows him to play with 2 guys who can finish and who are defenisvely responsible.

Pacioretty eventually will be playing with Galchenyuk, but for right now, at least IMO, as long as Desharnais is on the team, he'll continue to play with him.

Old
09-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
The d-men had nothing to with some of the crap goals he gave up late in the season or the Ottawa series. Floaters from 50 feet with nobody in front have nothing to do with clearing the front of the net.

I'm not expecting miracles but at 6.5 mil I expect better than your average Micheal Leighton or Andrew Raycroft like we saw the last 6-7 weeks last year.
annnnnd there goes the training camp talk.

I agree by the way, just can't stand this turning into another Price conversation.

Old
09-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Hugo Sham

Luc Gelinas ‏@LucGelinasRDS 1m

Alex Galchenyuk est le joueur qui a pris le plus de masse musculaire cet été (+7 livres, total 203) suivi de Lars Eller (+ 6 livres ŕ 215)

Old
09-11-2013, 04:07 PM
My Velouria

+7 pounds of muscle for Galchenyuk.
+6 pounds of muscle for Eller.
Douglas Murray is 240 pounds. (holy ****)

LucGelinasRDS:
Alex Galchenyuk est le joueur qui a pris le plus de masse musculaire cet été (+7 livres, total 203) suivi de Lars Eller (+ 6 livres ŕ 215)

LucGelinasRDS:
A 240 livres, Douglas Murray est le joueur le plus lourd de l'organisation du Canadien

Old
09-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

wrong thread . **** it.

Last edited by Agnostic: 09-11-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old
09-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Whitesnake
The Deeper the tank

vCash: 725
Quote:
I'm not suggesting they can't experiment with other lines from time to time, but just putting Pacioretty with Plekanec because it's considered the "#1 line" or Plekanec is the top center, is not a good enough reason.

He's attended an NHL training camp at 18 and didn't look out of place in exhibition games. He also looked pretty solid last year when called up, not sure how you can expect an 18 year old kid to dominate an NHL training camp, especially a d-man.

Pretty sure it was clear that I was talking about dominating a development and rookie camps as those already took place....As far as the protection, people are talking about him possibly being a callup which I guess it has to mean to play hockey. If he plays, it means he's a d-man in front of Price. Not sure why you keep playing with the phrases I make but I suggest you stop doing that. Obviously, Price has his own problems as I already keep mentioning on threads about him as if there are not enough threads like that already. But to be sure he does that and keep the confidence going, he needs a better defense in front of him and as of now, that defense is average at best. You add a Beaulieu IN the lineup and I'm pretty sure it's still just average.

Old
09-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Neutrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
just show me some Galchenyuk with Collberg experimentations and ill be happy

Old
09-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Whitesnake
The Deeper the tank

vCash: 725
Quote:
Yeah, 'cause those crap goals floaters against Ottawa and late in the season, how many of them did he REALLY allowed? Are you serious?

Old
09-11-2013, 04:17 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
+7 pounds of muscle for Galchenyuk.
+6 pounds of muscle for Eller.
Douglas Murray is 240 pounds. (holy ****)

LucGelinasRDS:

LucGelinasRDS:
A 240 livres, Douglas Murray est le joueur le plus lourd de l'organisation du Canadien
He is heavy and slow alright. watching the Pens in the playoffs you can see why the Sharks let him go. He brings a need here for us, but let's just say I wouldn't recommend him playing in back to back games

Old
09-11-2013, 04:22 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:

Quote:
You can't compare this team with that team. That year Plekanec was used almost exclusively in offensive situations and easier defensive matchups except some PK work. Koivu and Smolinski were taking tougher matchups.

You can increase Plekanec's production by giving him good wingers, but you also lessen the balance on offense and have to give DD tough matchups, which will hurt the team. Is it about pumping Plek's numbers or winning hockey games?
Quote:

You are on a roll today! I am in total and complete agreement with you.

Old
09-11-2013, 04:35 PM
MrNasty

I am thrilled that the Habs finally have too many NHL quality players to fit into a healthy line-up. For far too long this team has lacked depth and depth wins you championships. It will not hurt in the least if players like Thomas, Bealieu and Tinordi have to gain more experience in the AHL. The habs also have options if players struggle or become complacent.

Closed Thread