HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Training Camp/General Oiler news thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-11-2013, 03:44 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeModano9 View Post
The donuts I understand but the coffee Dallas!! That's like taking away heroine.
I think Rishaug said they also brought in coffee and yogurt afterwards. Because it's important dammit!

Old
09-11-2013, 03:47 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
Oh I believe it. I remember an interview with our young guns talking about how they would have pizza, steak, fries and burgers after every game and some would gorge on pasta pre game. It was an eye opener when I first heard it, and I'm sure there has to be a plan in place for this. This has to be a organizational implementation, not just the pro team. OKC better be talking hard about eating/training habits.
it's just BOGGLES MY MIND that athletes who are making millions of dollars a year and who are 100% dependent on their bodies being in top physical shape for their massive paychecks, don't all pay the $30,000-40,000/year it would cost to have a private chef make most of their "at home" meals

the team provides meals at the rink and on the road, so that is easy enough to eat healthy, it is at home that must be a bigger challenge... players don't know how to cook and they are busy with other commitments, so I understand why they don't cook at home on their own a lot... getting pre-made meals for at home that only need to be heated up would cost no more than $40,000/year, and that is likely on the high side now that i think about it... you could probably get most of them handled for around $20,000 or so actually

its crazy that all the players don't do this.... it's even crazier that the oilers don't have an "on-staff" chef that takes care of all this for the players... maybe the oilers DO have such a person, but i've never heard about it

Old
09-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
it's just BOGGLES MY MIND that athletes who are making millions of dollars a year and who 100% depend on their bodies being in top physical shape for their massive paychecks, don't all pay the $30,000-40,000/year it would cost to have a private chef make most of their "at home" meals

the team provides meals at the rink and on the road, so that is easy enough to eat healthy, it is at home that must be a bigger challenge... players don't know how to cook and they are busy with other commitments, so I understand why they don't cook at home on their own a lot... getting pre-made meals for at home that only need to be heated up would cost no more than $40,000/year, and that is likely on the high side now that i think about it... you could probably get most of them handled for around $20,000 or so actually

its crazy that all the players don't do this.... it's even crazier that the oilers don't have an "on-staff" chef that takes care of all this for the players... maybe the oilers DO have such a person, but i've never heard about it
Calling Gordon Ramsay, I repeat, calling Gordon Ramsay!

Old
09-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

Quote:
it's just BOGGLES MY MIND that athletes who are making millions of dollars a year and who 100% depend on their bodies being in top physical shape for their massive paychecks, don't all pay the $30,000-40,000/year it would cost to have a private chef make most of their "at home" meals

Fack, I know right? It seriously boggles my mind. I stay in shape right now for my rec/comp teams that I pay to play, it shouldn't be hard to eat healthy. I think it's because these guys are so used to do this their whole life, and they've got this far on it, they don't feel the need to change up the routine? or they're just lazy momma boys.
I know one thing, I would DEFINITELY have a dedicated chef if I was a pro athlete, that's not even a question. $40,000 is probably quite a bit. I mean all the guy has to do is come in once/twice a week and premake all the meals.

Oilers need to make this happen for all the players right now.

Old
09-11-2013, 03:57 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
it's just BOGGLES MY MIND that athletes who are making millions of dollars a year and who are 100% dependent on their bodies being in top physical shape for their massive paychecks, don't all pay the $30,000-40,000/year it would cost to have a private chef make most of their "at home" meals

I'm pretty sure the Oilers have a chef that cooks for the players, but it's only at Rexall and if the players don't hand around in the players lounge or whatever it's called then it doesn't matter. I remember them talking about nutritionist as well, but again it's really up to the players. Pretty hard to convince Hall that he should drop KD when he does what he did on the ice last year.

Old
09-11-2013, 03:58 PM
joestevens29

http://oilersnation.com/2013/9/11/training-camp-day-one

Gregor's write up

Old
09-11-2013, 04:16 PM
awesomo
HARD!

The team rarely pays for personal chefs. Players themselves usually do it. David Beckham has his own personal chef he used to hire

Old
09-11-2013, 04:30 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
The team rarely pays for personal chefs. Players themselves usually do it. David Beckham has his own personal chef he used to hire
I assume they probably can't pay for them anyways. Would be breaking viewed as some sort of bonus.

Old
09-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
Fack, I know right? It seriously boggles my mind. I stay in shape right now for my rec/comp teams that I pay to play, it shouldn't be hard to eat healthy. I think it's because these guys are so used to do this their whole life, and they've got this far on it, they don't feel the need to change up the routine? or they're just lazy momma boys.
I know one thing, I would DEFINITELY have a dedicated chef if I was a pro athlete, that's not even a question. $40,000 is probably quite a bit. I mean all the guy has to do is come in once/twice a week and premake all the meals.

Oilers need to make this happen for all the players right now.
You've heard of the concept of Personal Responsibility right?

The Oilers players themselves should get their own chef. Especially since each person might have their own personal requests for food types, cuisines, allergies living in different locations in the city or outside the city.

Old
09-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post

The Oilers players themselves should get their own chef. Especially since each person might have their own personal requests for food types, cuisines, allergies living in different locations in the city or outside the city.
Right. What's with the condescending tone?

We're all talking about how conditioning has been "thrust" upon all the players as an integral focus this year, nutrition should be as well.

I would assume "Personal Responsibility" goes hand in hand with it. However we have all heard horror stories of their eating habits.

There is no point working out like a freak if you eat like crap. Hence why we're even discussing this right now. ie. The big guy at the gym that just "ran" for an hour, then seeing him at Mcdonalds scarfing down a Big Mac.

Read the rest of our comments before asking if I've heard of "personal responisbility"?

Old
09-11-2013, 04:48 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post

I'm sure if it was an option the team would probably work with the player. Allergies should be a non-issue anyway as the team already makes food for the players in Rexall and I'm sure on those forms they filled out today that one of the questions is "what allergies do you have".

Old
09-11-2013, 04:53 PM
Sheeshta

Regular fat people get fat because they have a daily calorie surplus from eating "poorly". A 20 year-old kid playing full time in the NHL (or training full time for such) could eat five big macs a day. They're not competing for Mr. Olympia & trying to get 6% body fat needing to eat four pounds of chicken breast or white fish a day. They're athletes. They need a lot of calories, period.

Old
09-11-2013, 05:04 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeshta View Post
Regular fat people get fat because they have a daily calorie surplus from eating "poorly". A 20 year-old kid playing full time in the NHL (or training full time for such) could eat five big macs a day. They're not competing for Mr. Olympia & trying to get 6% body fat needing to eat four pounds of chicken breast or white fish a day. They're athletes. They need a lot of calories, period.
I can't even begin to describe how wrong you are. There is a very, very, very big difference between good calories and bad calories. Hell, there is a massive difference between different types of *protein* calories. To get even crazier, there is a huge difference in how those different types of protein calories react to your body depending on when you eat them, and how many of them you eat at once. Carb calories are even more complicated than protein calories.

The above post is unbelievably ignorant of sports nutrition.

Last edited by jadeddog: 09-11-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old
09-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Sheeshta

I absolutely am ignorant of sports nutrition, but likening actual real NHL athletes eating kraft dinner to "a guy who runs for an hour and then eats a big mac" is retarded.

Old
09-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Interesting quote that goes directly against McKenzie's tweet about looking for an enforcer.

"Don't expect the Oilers to go out and get a heavyweight goon. Eakins doesn't like guys who can't play. If they could find a tough, physical guy who could play, then he'd consider it, but I don't expect the Oilers to find the next Steve MacIntryre"

Old
09-11-2013, 05:09 PM
doulos

The guys should spend more time on things that matter like actually playing hockey better, and not whether they have hit their daily Quinoa quota or not. Next we'll be hearing about how the boys need to use accupuncture more...sheesh

Old
09-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Toydarian

Quote:
I can't even begin to describe how wrong you are. There is a very, very, very big difference between good calories and bad calories. Hell, there is a massive difference between different types of *protein* calories. To get even crazier, there is a huge difference in how those different types of protein calories react to your body depending on when you eat them, and how many of them you eat at once. Carb calories are even more complicated than protein calories.

The above post is unbelievably ignorant of sports nutrition.
For elite athletes (which obviously NHL players are) the type of food/calories is important, but for the average person, the amount of calories/day really dictates if someone gains or loses weight and muscle.

Old
09-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeshta View Post
My man, there's a huge difference in caloric intake, good proteins vs bad etc. If you want optimal performance you eat "clean" food.

Not chicken fingers and cheeseburgers.

Anyways, comparing athletes to normal people eating unhealthy is exactly the same thing. In many ways it's more important as they need optimization from their body.

If you can't see that, forget about it.

Old
09-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

hahah Is he trolling Eakins?

Andrew Ference ‏@Ferknuckle 13m I think the only thing the @EdmontonOilers don’t know about me after testing today is what a killer lasagna I can cook up.

Old
09-11-2013, 05:28 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican View Post
hahah Is he trolling Eakins?

Andrew Ference ‏@Ferknuckle 13m I think the only thing the @EdmontonOilers don’t know about me after testing today is what a killer lasagna I can cook up.
The difference being he probably knows how to make a healthier lasagna and even if it wasn't healthy who is going to question him?

Old
09-11-2013, 05:29 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
For elite athletes (which obviously NHL players are) the type of food/calories is important, but for the average person, the amount of calories/day really dictates if someone gains or loses weight and muscle.
Oh, just to be clear. The calories in vs. calories out equation holds true for athletes as well (obviously). It holds true for everybody.

My point is that for athletes, the types, amounts, ratios and timing of the calories is very important. VERY important.

Old
09-11-2013, 05:42 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

I'm glad Eakins is coach. I like his no-nonsense "we're not a young team just trying to get by" comment... because it's true.

This is an older club now that needs to begin showing that they have the salt to be a force in the NHL.

I hope the fanbase here at HFOil begins to start thinking the same way, because I'm sick as all **** hearing about fans clamouring for high picks year after year.

Maybe, just maybe, Eakins can change the culture of the fans as well.

Old
09-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Heavy Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
I'm glad Eakins is coach. I like his no-nonsense "we're not a young team just trying to get by" comment... because it's true.

This is an older club now that needs to begin showing that they have the salt to be a force in the NHL.

I hope the fanbase here at HFOil begins to start thinking the same way, because I'm sick as all **** hearing about fans clamouring for high picks year after year.

hell yah

Old
09-11-2013, 05:57 PM
fysloc

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post

He will never change the food culture of fans, it's going to be beer and donairs and poutine with sticky fingers all the way!

Old
09-11-2013, 06:07 PM
PumpkinBomb

I thought it doesn't matter what you eat if you're a fitness freak. I would say Michael Phelp's 2006-2008 is the most physically fit a person has ever been. For him it wasn't about nutrition but about getting calories. (For him 10k a day I believe).

I know the average nhl player loses 20 pounds from season start to end. I know the sedins don't lose any. ( they're able to get enough calories to keep their weight up)

Closed Thread