HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Heavyweight Enforcer to Edmonton?

Closed Thread

Old
09-11-2013, 05:31 PM
moog35

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
D.J King is another heavyweight that I find underrated and I don't believe he's under contract. He did good in his brief stints..

Joel Rechlicz is another guy that could be had cheap from Washington.

Both are borderline NHLers though.
whatever happened to King? he went to Washington got hurt and disappeared

Old
09-11-2013, 05:32 PM
HockeyNymphomaniac*

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
Parros for a 1st
Great idea, then Montreal can become the whipping boy of the east again... you know it's bad when Ottawa is throwing you around the ice Enjoy being the whipping boy... maybe you're into that though

Old
09-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Johnny Utah

Eager is back and hopefully healthy and they already have Mike Brown and Andrew Ferrence. I think if Eager makes the team they should be fine, if not Mike Brown should get the ice bags out now.

Old
09-11-2013, 05:54 PM
Boil in the Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
NOOOOOO. And here I thought MacT had progressed from the days where GMs thought face punchers should actually take a roster spot. He said so many positive things in his interviews about wanting players that can play the game. I am hoping this is just a PTO or some wild rumour.

Enforcers have almost no role in todays NHL. They cant play hockey, cant score, cant defend. All they do is dump the puck in, give up possession and punch some faces once every couple games.

Have we not realized that enforcers dont really "protect" the skills guys or scare of other goons from going after them. Its such a stupid logic. Goons and pests love two things. A) To hit skilled players B) To fight. Getting an enforcer doesnt prevent A because the other guys love to do B.

The biggest deterrent is scoring on the PP. If your PP can make them pay, the opposing coach will staple the goon to the bench, and your skilled guys wont get run.

Bring in 4th lineplayers that can either score, prevent goals against, or do a mix of both by driving possession.

Despite what Don Cherry screams in your ear every saturday night. Enforcers are dumb, waste time on the ice and waste of a roster spot.

Plus they have Mike Brown, who is pretty bad, but less horrible than most face punchers
And the MacT dream is . . . find a big enforcer-type who has some hockey-skills beyond the fisty-cuffs . . . someone who can actually play hockey.

Know anyone available with those credentials?

Old
09-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Metzen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boil in the Oil View Post
And the MacT dream is . . . find a big enforcer-type who has some hockey-skills beyond the fisty-cuffs . . . someone who can actually play hockey.

Know anyone available with those credentials?
What's Zack Stortini doing?

Old
09-11-2013, 06:38 PM
MetaOil1993

Leafs fans can Frazer McLaren play a regular shift? Or is he a usual 5 minute a night goon?

Old
09-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Yog S'loth

What's Brendan Tedstone doing these days?

If you're going to carry a useless "heavyweight", might as well go the full monty.

Old
09-11-2013, 06:52 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Oilers need a tough guy who can actually play

Old
09-11-2013, 06:57 PM
JuniorNelson

In the old days, it was common practice to put a de facto bodyguard on the star's line. Some teams had a tough guy on every line and pairing. Nobody fought them. They'd start intimidating when they lost the lead or it was too close.

Those days are gone. Modern enforcers can skate. They have a shot. They can make a pass and lug the puck. They are huge.

Edmonton can easily address this issue with a trade. They choose not to. New GM MacTavish might make changes in this department, but I doubt it. Edmonton doesn't really need an enforcer per se. I think they need a couple of open ice hitters and a few guys throughout the line up that aren't just kids or littles. That will happen as they grow into their roles. They are becoming a pretty good looking team and do not need to chase off in a new direction.

Old
09-11-2013, 07:07 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog35 View Post
whatever happened to King? he went to Washington got hurt and disappeared
I'm not sure if he got injured along the way but he only suited up 19 games this past season for the Ontario Reign of the East Coast Hockey League.

Old
09-11-2013, 07:08 PM
PADevil3034
Mooooooooooooooooose

Devils offer Krys Barch for a 6th rounder.

Old
09-11-2013, 07:09 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog S'loth View Post
What's Brendan Tedstone doing these days?

If you're going to carry a useless "heavyweight", might as well go the full monty.
LOL I haven't heard that name in a long while. He could probably be found in a burger joint somewhere..

Old
09-11-2013, 07:16 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
almost every time we sign a pugilist, we end up with a plug

no thanks

unless we can actually upgrade our bottom six in both skill and competitiveness, then I hope we don't sign anyone(or trade for them).

Old
09-11-2013, 07:23 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...15242161815552

There were strong rumors this summer that the Oilers were interested in young Kings LW Kyle Clifford, though I wouldn't necessarily consider him a heavyweight enforcer, he can still chuck 'em with some tough customers.

Not sure if the Kings would like to make one of their division rivals any tougher, or what other options are available for Edmonton to fill that role, but my guess is that Georges Laraque did not get an invitation to attend Oilers' training camp.
To Oilers:
Zac Rinaldo

To Philly:
3rd 2014

Old
09-11-2013, 07:27 PM
Billdo

Cam Janssen for anything. We'll throw in Volchenkov too.

Old
09-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Beendair Donedat

MacTavish used to play Laraque quite a bit, and he was a "shudder" face puncher!!! He also won cups with guys like Semenko, Brown, McClelland, McSorely, Jay Wells, Joe Kocur all noted "face punchers."

It's a part of the game that will always serve a purpose. The "face puncher" plays an important role. Intimidation and retribution go a very long way... Just ask the Sedin sisters.

Old
09-11-2013, 07:45 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Paul Bissonnette's job might not be as safe as it once was...

Quote:
The Coyotes also appear to be changing their plans when it comes to 26-year-old Mark Louis.

As per numerous reports, the Coyotes will be converting Louis, originally a defenseman, to the wing.

Craig Morgan @cmorganfoxaz

Don Maloney hesitated to call D turned wing Mark Louis an enforcer, preferring to call him "a protector."
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...s-this-season/

09-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Sparksrus3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
D.J King is another heavyweight that I find underrated and I don't believe he's under contract. He did good in his brief stints..

Joel Rechlicz is another guy that could be had cheap from Washington.

Both are borderline NHLers though.
March 28th 2009. The wrecker vs cote. For some reason this is one of my favorite fights. Sorry I can't load it here. Maybe some help. Thanks. . Borderline NHL player well I don't know about that. He goes years at a time in the minors without points.

Old
09-11-2013, 08:08 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
MacTavish used to play Laraque quite a bit, and he was a "shudder" face puncher!!! He also won cups with guys like Semenko, Brown, McClelland, McSorely, Jay Wells, Joe Kocur all noted "face punchers."

It's a part of the game that will always serve a purpose. The "face puncher" plays an important role. Intimidation and retribution go a very long way... Just ask the Sedin sisters.
I dont know where to start with this. But Ill try.
A) Laraque could actually play the game of hockey. He was a great fighter, but could play an odd shift
B)He won cups with the greatest hockey player that ever played, and played with numerous other greats. Put any face puncher with Gretzky, Messier, Coffey etc and youll win a cup.
C) That was 25 years ago, the game changes since then. Just because enforcers were important in those years doesnt mean they are important now. The 3rd liners in 1980 were not much better than enforcers. In todays game the gap has widened pretty heavily.
D) Intimidation plays a very very mediocre role. Ask the Sedins about multiple 90 point seasons, art ross's and 100 point + peak years?

Retribution sounds sweet, but in todays more skilled NHL, which is heavily policed by the NHL, its such a small part it doesnt matter. despite what Don Cherry spews about good ol' ontario boys

Old
09-11-2013, 08:21 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Paul Bissonnette's job might not be as safe as it once was...

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...s-this-season/
BizNasty is the ONE pure enforcer type of guy who I'd totally welcome to the Oilers.

Maybe Tootoo.

Other than that, I think MacT is an idiot for not going after someone more useful.

Old
09-11-2013, 08:51 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
I dont know where to start with this. But Ill try.
A) Laraque could actually play the game of hockey. He was a great fighter, but could play an odd shift
B)He won cups with the greatest hockey player that ever played, and played with numerous other greats. Put any face puncher with Gretzky, Messier, Coffey etc and youll win a cup.
C) That was 25 years ago, the game changes since then. Just because enforcers were important in those years doesnt mean they are important now. The 3rd liners in 1980 were not much better than enforcers. In todays game the gap has widened pretty heavily.
D) Intimidation plays a very very mediocre role. Ask the Sedins about multiple 90 point seasons, art ross's and 100 point + peak years?

Retribution sounds sweet, but in todays more skilled NHL, which is heavily policed by the NHL, its such a small part it doesnt matter. despite what Don Cherry spews about good ol' ontario boys
How many cups have the Sedins won?

And when the greatest coach of all time had enforcers, I'll take his side over your pacifist powerplay is our enforcer garbage.

Old
09-11-2013, 08:57 PM
haterbehatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
BizNasty is the ONE pure enforcer type of guy who I'd totally welcome to the Oilers.

Maybe Tootoo.

Other than that, I think MacT is an idiot for not going after someone more useful.
Zero interest in Tootoo has all the dirtyness of Claude Lemieux and half the talent well more like a quarter but Lemieux was actually really talented just a dirty sob.

Old
09-11-2013, 09:04 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
How many cups have the Sedins won?

And when the greatest coach of all time had enforcers, I'll take his side over your pacifist powerplay is our enforcer garbage.
what does that have to do with anything? What face punchers did the Hawks have?
The pens have face punchers, why didnt they win the cup? why didnt Boston and their face punchers? Why didnt Vancouver win this year with Sestito? Why dont the Rangers win the cup with face punchers? Ducks and Parros in the past?

Face punchers win cups right? Not the players that can actually play hockey better than an average beer league player

Where was Mac and Stortini to prevent Dorsett/Hall fight have in 2011? Really big deterrents. Or Horidchuk to prevent Hal; from getting ran in 2012? Too bad they didnt play columbus again, maybe Mac sent Dorsett an angry note. Where was Godard to prevent Crosby from getting a concussion? Did he get sweet revenge on Hedman and Steckel? Was it really cool and heroic? Apparantly not because in the rematch 3 months later, there was......0 fights. How is it that Cooke ended Savards career shouldnt he be fearful of the big bad bruins with Thorton and Lucic?

Sorry I dont spit out everything Cherry says. But go ahead, build your team with 5 enforcers who slug around and try to fight people like cavemen

Last edited by topchowda: 09-11-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old
09-11-2013, 09:14 PM
HockeyF3ind

Parros for Eberle and a 3rd.

Old
09-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Dirk316

Quote:
NOOOOOO. And here I thought MacT had progressed from the days where GMs thought face punchers should actually take a roster spot. He said so many positive things in his interviews about wanting players that can play the game. I am hoping this is just a PTO or some wild rumour.

Enforcers have almost no role in todays NHL. They cant play hockey, cant score, cant defend. All they do is dump the puck in, give up possession and punch some faces once every couple games.

Have we not realized that enforcers dont really "protect" the skills guys or scare of other goons from going after them. Its such a stupid logic. Goons and pests love two things. A) To hit skilled players B) To fight. Getting an enforcer doesnt prevent A because the other guys love to do B.

The biggest deterrent is scoring on the PP. If your PP can make them pay, the opposing coach will staple the goon to the bench, and your skilled guys wont get run.

Bring in 4th lineplayers that can either score, prevent goals against, or do a mix of both by driving possession.

Despite what Don Cherry screams in your ear every saturday night. Enforcers are dumb, waste time on the ice and waste of a roster spot.

Plus they have Mike Brown, who is pretty bad, but less horrible than most face punchers
Wow getting ****** chills from this post like no other
"Face puncher"

Closed Thread