HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part VI)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-11-2013, 09:10 PM
  #226
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,774
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Agreed. Penn needs to be nicer and MSG needs to be nicer. However, MSG is well on the way to being improved in the same spot its in now, and though the building has changed a few times, this current edition of MSG has a ton of history. I think the best solution would involve finding a nicer, above-ground building for Penn in the immediate area. I'm not very well educated on the issue, but I remember hearing that there's a huge post office building nearby? Perhaps that could be turned into an extension for Penn somehow?
Actually, MSG has a ton of history in moving every few decades. But they probably won't be moving from this location any time soon. I do expect Dolan corp to have to pony up to keep the doors open though

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 09:32 PM
  #227
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
How many millions of people pass through there each week? There are already tons of people hanging out there. But it's outdated, claustrophobic and generally uninspiring and depressing. Many people are also coming into manhattan...not exactly a warm welcome to the world's greatest city.
Again, who cares? It allows people from LI and Jersey to get to work in the city. Nobody from the suburbs is going to stop traveling through Penn Station because it is outdated, claustrophobic, generally uninspiring, and depressing. They may try to get jobs in the suburbs, but the commute time will have a lot more impact on that that the decor of penn station.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 09:33 PM
  #228
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Agreed. Penn needs to be nicer
no, it really doesn't.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 10:01 PM
  #229
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,765
vCash: 500
It's not a question of Penn Station looking "nicer" it's a question of it becoming more functional in order to serve the needs of the people who use it and the city that depends on it.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 10:11 PM
  #230
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
Actually, MSG has a ton of history in moving every few decades. But they probably won't be moving from this location any time soon. I do expect Dolan corp to have to pony up to keep the doors open though
I'm aware of the history of moving. My point is that this particular building also now has a lot of sports history that is relevant to our current culture. It's a reason to keep the building where it is as long as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
no, it really doesn't.
You don't think so. That's fine. I disagree.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
It's not a question of Penn Station looking "nicer" it's a question of it becoming more functional in order to serve the needs of the people who use it and the city that depends on it.
Personally, I didn't mean just look nicer, though I did mean that in part, I meant be a more pleasant experience all around, including being more functional as you've said. As for looks, this is New York City, some of the most impressive and beautiful buildings in the world are here. The other train station in town is a work of art, and Penn used to be also. Ideally, Penn should look nice. It should welcome people to New York in a way that everyone can be proud of and excited about. It doesn't "need" to do that, but Grand Central doesn't "need" to be a work of art, either. Many beautiful buildings, or hell, things in general, don't need to be nice, but them being that way ends up having huge effects on people's lives and thoughts and interactions.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 10:12 PM
  #231
trueblue9441
Registered User
 
trueblue9441's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bronx, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,416
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
It's not a question of Penn Station looking "nicer" it's a question of it becoming more functional in order to serve the needs of the people who use it and the city that depends on it.
well to function better, more platforms and tunnels need to be built. so far we've never heard any indication of that happening.

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 10:38 PM
  #232
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Again, who cares? It allows people from LI and Jersey to get to work in the city. Nobody from the suburbs is going to stop traveling through Penn Station because it is outdated, claustrophobic, generally uninspiring, and depressing. They may try to get jobs in the suburbs, but the commute time will have a lot more impact on that that the decor of penn station.
We get it. You don't care. Many people feel differently. I rarely use Penn Station so it's really irrelevant to me.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 01:16 AM
  #233
The Korean*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,635
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
no, it really doesn't.
Uh yes it does. People commute to work is more vital to economy. Current one is barely functional and wont be in the future.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 09:24 AM
  #234
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils
 
Tanner Glass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 17,032
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Uh yes it does. People commute to work is more vital to economy. Current one is barely functional and wont be in the future.
building some lavish above ground building won't make trains run better

__________________
Tanner Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 09:46 AM
  #235
trueblue9441
Registered User
 
trueblue9441's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bronx, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,416
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Uh yes it does. People commute to work is more vital to economy. Current one is barely functional and wont be in the future.
right it wont be functional in the future unless theres more tunnels and platforms. NONE of the ideas put forth even address that issue. all quinn is worried about is a new head house and expanded concourses.

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 10:17 AM
  #236
bobby peru
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 10
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nils2317 View Post
building some lavish above ground building won't make trains run better
Right - which is why they want to reconstruct the rail facilities as well. The above ground aspect is so it could look like any other train station in the world that carries as many passengers as Penn Station does.

bobby peru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 10:26 AM
  #237
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,550
vCash: 500
They could redo the below ground stuff without moving MSG...

Also, they don't have the money to do this anyways

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 12:31 PM
  #238
The Korean*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New York
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,635
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
Originally Posted by nils2317 View Post
building some lavish above ground building won't make trains run better
It will immensely improve commute experience for NJT and Amtrak passengers and oh, LIRR.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 01:48 PM
  #239
li7039
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Uh yes it does. People commute to work is more vital to economy. Current one is barely functional and wont be in the future.
It won't improve until they expand track space. You could have the nicest station in the word but if the infrastructure doesn't change your just going to have the couple thousand commuters waiting by TV monitors surrounded by marble. Trains still won't be able to be posted more than 10 or so minutes before departure, and you'll still have each railroads customers crammed into one part of the station. The LIRR trains will still leave from 13-21, and NJT/Amtrak will still share the rest of them. If your planning on seeing commuting numbers increase as well I hope the LIRR has some sort of plan to deal with larger crowds. Those 12 car trains aren't going to cut it if crowds grow by 5% or more.

li7039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 01:58 PM
  #240
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,774
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
It will immensely improve commute experience for NJT and Amtrak passengers and oh, LIRR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by li7039 View Post
It won't improve until they expand track space. You could have the nicest station in the word but if the infrastructure doesn't change your just going to have the couple thousand commuters waiting by TV monitors surrounded by marble. Trains still won't be able to be posted more than 10 or so minutes before departure, and you'll still have each railroads customers crammed into one part of the station. The LIRR trains will still leave from 13-21, and NJT/Amtrak will still share the rest of them. If your planning on seeing commuting numbers increase as well I hope the LIRR has some sort of plan to deal with larger crowds. Those 12 car trains aren't going to cut it if crowds grow by 5% or more.
And not for nothing, but it would be mainly NYC taxpayers paying so that outsiders can have nicer digs (Long Islanders & ppl from New Jersey mainly who ride those trains)

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 02:44 PM
  #241
ratdog07067
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Woodbridge, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Meanwhile, several floors above Penn -


ratdog07067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 03:27 PM
  #242
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,774
vCash: 50
ooooooo, a wrap around board - very interesting

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 03:37 PM
  #243
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,891
vCash: 500


Thats going to look great with the ceiling

That thing is enormous... look at the truck behind it for scale

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 04:38 PM
  #244
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing
 
Megustaelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 5,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
ooooooo, a wrap around board - very interesting
I have to think that something will go in between the lower wraparound part and that top gantry that doesn't have anything on it yet. As long as it is big, clear, and doesn't get hit with any pucks (or basketballs), I am fine with any modern board.

Megustaelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 06:41 PM
  #245
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post

Personally, I didn't mean just look nicer, though I did mean that in part, I meant be a more pleasant experience all around, including being more functional as you've said. As for looks, this is New York City, some of the most impressive and beautiful buildings in the world are here. The other train station in town is a work of art, and Penn used to be also. Ideally, Penn should look nice. It should welcome people to New York in a way that everyone can be proud of and excited about. It doesn't "need" to do that, but Grand Central doesn't "need" to be a work of art, either. Many beautiful buildings, or hell, things in general, don't need to be nice, but them being that way ends up having huge effects on people's lives and thoughts and interactions.
I absolutely understand where you're coming from--I travel through Grand Central regularly and never get tired of going through that beautiful building, especially since they took the paint off the windows. And creating nicer space at Penn is the main reason why they ultimately want to use the Post Office building as the main terminal. But, over all the main reason to move MSG is to be able to handle not only all the people who travel through there today (which is nearly 3X the numbers planned for back in the mid 1960s), but also so the numbers can increase over the next 50 years. As a major world-class City we have to plan for the future.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 08:52 PM
  #246
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,066
vCash: 500
That thing is a monster.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 09:00 PM
  #247
dstoffa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
Actually, MSG has a ton of history in moving every few decades. But they probably won't be moving from this location any time soon. I do expect Dolan corp to have to pony up to keep the doors open though
And actually, in 2021, MSG IV will have been standing longer than the original Penn Station....

dstoffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 10:09 PM
  #248
patriot174
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 15
vCash: 500
An updated shot from 8pm with the massive new scoreboard elevated a bit:
Attached Images
File Type: png New_GardenVision_Scoreboard_091213.png‎ (356.3 KB, 74 views)

patriot174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 10:20 PM
  #249
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils
 
Tanner Glass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NYC
Country: Austria
Posts: 17,032
vCash: 50
That thing looks gorgeous

Tanner Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 01:20 PM
  #250
ratdog07067
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Woodbridge, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Most of the scaffolding is down -


The panorama view is back up but it's a few days old - you can see the seats though in this view

ratdog07067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.