HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Heavyweight Enforcer to Edmonton?

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2013, 12:01 AM
Dirk316

vCash: 500
Anyone who uses the term face puncher needs to re-examine what sport they are a fan of

Old
09-12-2013, 12:04 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
Anyone who uses the term face puncher needs to re-examine what sport they are a fan of
That's exactly their one and only role. What else do they do. You can call them at enforcer but they don't enforce anything

Conversations in 2028 about hockey in the 90s and 00s
" so you mean to tell me teams used hirer players based on the sole reason that they fought other goons and this somehow deterred cheap shots from players they won't fight"
" but son, the fans used to love those fights"

Last edited by topchowda: 09-12-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old
09-12-2013, 12:12 AM
Dirk316

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
That's exactly their one and only role. What else do they do. You can call them at enforcer but they don't enforce anything
Do you even watch the Eastern conference? Tell that to ottawa after they acquired Kassion, Buffalo after they acquired Scott etc

Old
09-12-2013, 12:30 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk316 View Post
Do you even watch the Eastern conference? Tell that to ottawa after they acquired Kassion, Buffalo after they acquired Scott etc
You mean that Kassian that scored 1 point, that fought only other face punchers (mcLaren, Orr, Crombeen, Parros) And who did nothing to deter Cooke from taking out Karlsson. And didnt fight him after

Or the John Scott that got 0 points. Zero. Who also only fought other face punchers exclusively. Did not fight any pests or agigators. The guys you should be considered with are guys like Marchand and Gallagher that can keep up with and hit skilled guys. Wheres the fights against the players that actually do damage

Im sure their teams could find some other players that could contribute much more than 1 point and a couple fights

Its seems like the Eastern Conference has its own fight club. And the members almost exlcusively only fight other members. And the only reason they have any value is to provide a side show for fans.

Like does anyone actually think Mclaren or Scott is a head hunter and need to protect their skilled guys from them. They are fighters who cant play and cant keep up with play, all they do is punch eachother 5-6 times a season. And the other times they are on the ice they are complete liabilities (Scott much more). All they do is dump the puck in, loose possession and chase it around for the next 30 seconds

Ill build my fourth line with shutdown players that can defend top lines. Or with skilled guys with ok size that can embarass face punchers.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:39 AM
topchowda

Im not against having fighting in the NHL. I enjoy goon fights as a side show or a break from the game. Just dont want those anchors on my team

Old
09-12-2013, 12:49 AM
CaptainCally

Orr/McClaren?

Old
09-12-2013, 12:53 AM
IranCondraAffair

topchowda you are wrong.

Kassian was acquired in March, Karlsson was injured in Feb. Kassian wasn't even playing on Ottawa when Karlsson was injured. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Kassian was deliberately acquired to prevent teams from taking liberties with Ottawa's players and allow guys like Smith to concentrate on playing instead of having to fight.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:56 AM
CanucksSayEh

Sestito for whatever.

Old
09-12-2013, 12:57 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post
topchowda you are wrong.

Kassian was acquired in March, Karlsson was injured in Feb. Kassian wasn't even playing on Ottawa when Karlsson was injured. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Kassian was deliberately acquired to prevent teams from taking liberties with Ottawa's players and allow guys like Smith to concentrate on playing instead of having to fight.
OK, well why didnt he fight Cooke after? That is the whole premise of enforcers. Retribution, revenge.

How many numerous examples are their of Cooke, or players like Cooke running around throwing cheap shots, without fighting goons. And for 4 years there have been numerous enforcers, all of whom have failed to prevent cheap shots.

The only way hell stop is if his antics cause damage to his team and his coach forces him to change.

What was the reason for Cookes change of heart to become a more clean player? Was it because he was scared of the enforcers that he doesnt fight (he fights mostly top 6 guys). Or was it because his antics were a constant distraction and killed his team?

Last edited by topchowda: 09-12-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Old
09-12-2013, 01:14 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
topchowda you are wrong.

Because enforcers stop guys like Raffi Torres.......

Old
09-12-2013, 01:15 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
How many cups have the Sedins won?

And when the greatest coach of all time had enforcers, I'll take his side over your pacifist powerplay is our enforcer garbage.
Who the more enforcers battle: Chicago vs Boston?

Old
09-12-2013, 01:19 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Heavyweight enforcers have gone the way of the dinosaur. In order for pieces of ***** like Torres, Cooke, Kaleta, etc. to stop from running around and taking liberties, just remove the instigator rule and you'll see them taken care of.

Old
09-12-2013, 01:25 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Heavyweight enforcers have gone the way of the dinosaur. In order for pieces of ***** like Torres, Cooke, Kaleta, etc. to stop from running around and taking liberties, just remove the instigator rule and you'll see them taken care of.
I can agree with this, the instigator would allow for more hand to hand justice, which would make them think twice. However it still wouldnt revive face punchers as alot of 3rd/4th line grinders (with ability) could take care of these guys if the rule was gone. The only time a guy like Orr would be needed would be to tune Lucic if he acted like Torres or Kaleta.

Old
09-12-2013, 01:27 AM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post

YES!

Old
09-12-2013, 01:36 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
It would be nice if we were targeting Brian Boyle.

Old
09-12-2013, 01:36 AM
jasonleaffan

vCash: 1414
Toronto has fighters all over our lineup, and we seem to do all right. No cheap shots, and certainly no anchors. Colton orr was a + 4 on the season last year. McLaren even and Fraser a whopping +18 playing third pairing minutes. And yeah all three of those guys would "punch faces" lol. I'll take the security and protection they provide any day of the week. Over having no one on the team that can answer the bell, when you have a guy like lucic running all over the place and taking librities with teams that have no "face punchers" lol

Old
09-12-2013, 01:39 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
It would be nice if we were targeting Brian Boyle.
Brian Boyle is a big teddy bear.

Old
09-12-2013, 01:42 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post

YES!
Orr took a 4 minute penalty in a 0-0 game at the start of the game. All to what? prevent Kaleta from diving and goating them into penalties? Well the refs know Kaleta, so they are not going to call a penalty. And if Kaletas goal, like Kyperos was saying, was to goat them into penalties, he did exactly his job.

Kaleta also took a stupid run at Franson and became totally lost on the play. Like did he not see Orr was in the line up, and he still was making runs at players. Kinda dispelling the notion that players will behave when they see tough guys in the line up

Im sure Kaleta went right back to work after that

Old
09-12-2013, 01:55 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post

YES!
That is so ****ing awesome. I've always wished for a big bad goon willing to smash a little pest the **** up. We've got Biznasty, but he won't fight anyone smaller than him.

Damn I wish we had a 24 year old Colton Orr instead.

09-12-2013, 01:59 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Brian Boyle is a big teddy bear.
Then they'll be too busy hugging him to hit other players.

Old
09-12-2013, 02:00 AM
H2ODP

vCash: 830
Quote:
Orr took a 4 minute penalty in a 0-0 game at the start of the game. All to what? prevent Kaleta from diving and goating them into penalties? Well the refs know Kaleta, so they are not going to call a penalty. And if Kaletas goal, like Kyperos was saying, was to goat them into penalties, he did exactly his job.

Kaleta also took a stupid run at Franson and became totally lost on the play. Like did he not see Orr was in the line up, and he still was making runs at players. Kinda dispelling the notion that players will behave when they see tough guys in the line up

Im sure Kaleta went right back to work after that
You're wrong. Orr is awesome. And I'm a Sens fan

Old
09-12-2013, 02:04 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonleaffan View Post
Toronto has fighters all over our lineup, and we seem to do all right. No cheap shots, and certainly no anchors. Colton orr was a + 4 on the season last year. McLaren even and Fraser a whopping +18 playing third pairing minutes. And yeah all three of those guys would "punch faces" lol. I'll take the security and protection they provide any day of the week. Over having no one on the team that can answer the bell, when you have a guy like lucic running all over the place and taking librities with teams that have no "face punchers" lol
Perhaps it works for the leafs. The oilers are built a different way. They have a deadly pp with many weapons that they can use. Youd think torres would tjink twice about taking a penalty and costing his team a goal. He can easily duck a fight. Alot tougher to be the sole cause of a goal.
The oilers also have bad depth. So why not give a roster spot to a depth guy that can actually help the team out with secondary scoring or defense.

Also, many of the oilers skilled guys don't play pk, so if a goon takes a 4 minute penalty, that's 4 minutes that the skilled players aren't able to play. In a game where they only play 18 minutes that could be significant. And that's all in an effort so that an enforcer MIGHT deter a pest. Who's job is to create penalties and mix it up

Old
09-12-2013, 02:08 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODP View Post
You're wrong. Orr is awesome. And I'm a Sens fan
I agree he's awesome, I love seeing pests get tuned like that. I was a fighter in junior ( jungle B)myself so I appreciate orr. But it doesn't change the fact those players can cost their team more than they benefit them and doesn't fit the mold of the oilers like maybe he'd fit the mold of another team

Old
09-12-2013, 02:13 AM
luki here

Quote:
topchowda you are wrong.

it never really stops anyone taking any cheap shots. Most bizarre belief in the nhl from my POV.

Old
09-12-2013, 02:25 AM
jasonleaffan

vCash: 1414
Quote:
I agree he's awesome, I love seeing pests get tuned like that. I was a fighter in junior ( jungle B)myself so I appreciate orr. But it doesn't change the fact those players can cost their team more than they benefit them and doesn't fit the mold of the oilers like maybe he'd fit the mold of another team
Except as I showed you, those players in regards to toronto do not cost our team> You guys traded us for brownie last year to try and help you out in the fighting department and his play fell off from how he was in toronto. Can you figure out why? Here is a hint___he is not a heavy weight. And a 4 minute pk is very rare, and edmontons star laden pp was a whopping 1.4% better then toronto's last season. Never mind the fact you have Burke just down the road from you who already stated they want calgary to be a lot tougher team to play against. If toronto is any idication of a burke team you may just want to get yourself an enforcer or two.

Getting sleepy ill reply again tomorrow

Closed Thread