Notices

Don't look now

Old
11-18-2006, 07:11 AM
ThomasJ13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytem2 View Post
Records can be very misleading these days.

At 7-7-2, it "looks like" the Bruins are playing .500 hockey, having picked up 16 points, and given up 16 points to the opposition

However, 3 of the Bruins' wins were either in OT, or via the shootout, so what has really happened is:

The Bruins have picked up 16 points, and given up 19.
If you start doing this kind of thing, then you have to look at it for all the teams, to be fair.

Here is one site that breaks down the standings in some unique ways:

http://hockeyanalysis.com/?page_id=39

As of this writing, that site had totals prior to the win over Toronto (after 15 games), but a couple of things worth noting:

1. When shootouts (win or lose) are considered ties, and overtime losses worth zero points, the Bruins are ranked 18th in the league (9th in the east).

2. Prior to the Leafs game the Bruins had the 3rd highest opponent winning percentage in the league (.528). I'm sure this is a result of having played 4 of 15 games against either Buffalo or Atlanta.

ThomasJ13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 11:19 AM
b_bruins

i feel optimistic about this squad. sure i bash and sometimes almost cry, but thats hockey. I think to become a winner you have to taste what its like to lose.
Go B's!

b_bruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 02:00 PM
kytem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsCupNow View Post
Records CAN be misleading. So can facts. And they're actually a little worse than you say, kytem. B's have lost 9 games either in regulation or OT/Shootout. That's 18 points to the opposition. Add the 3 points the opponent has earned during Bruins' victories...and the B's have given up 21 points altogether, not 19.

Having said all that, if they win every single one of their remaining 66 games in Overtime, the points they've given away probably won't hurt too much

--BCN
My very bad mstake, I knew that, but wrote down the wrong figure in haste.

Giving up points is very important, but only if it is against Eastern Division foes.

Right now, the Bruins have picked up 16 points, while giving up 21 points. That is not .500 hockey.

kytem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Beezy

Send a message via Yahoo to Beezy
I would argue you throw out everything that involves a shootout. I don't have time to do the math, but regulation and OT are indicative of how the team is playing, not how well a shooter deked someone or how the opponent flips a puck so easily over Thomas' blocker.

Beezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 04:15 PM
ThomasJ13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
I would argue you throw out everything that involves a shootout. I don't have time to do the math, but regulation and OT are indicative of how the team is playing, not how well a shooter deked someone or how the opponent flips a puck so easily over Thomas' blocker.
...which is exactly what the guy did on the site I posted before. 1 point for ending OT in a tie, 2 points for ending OT with a win, and zero points for ending OT with a loss. Shootouts irrelevant:

http://hockeyanalysis.com/?page_id=39

Prior to the Washington shootout win (that's the last time this guy updated the site), the Bruins adjusted winning percentage was good for 9th in the east, and 18th overall. Add to that 1 point for the Washington game, and 2 for the Toronto game, and they might be even higher now.

I like this site, because I find it a better evaluation of how a team is doing relative to others in the first few months, without shootouts or games in hand mucking things up...

ThomasJ13 is online now   Reply With Quote