HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Worst contract this summer?

Old
09-10-2013, 10:05 AM
HarrisonFord
LA Kings Bandwagon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Well, now the Leafs are paying Tucker and Clarkson this season.
Why choose when you can just pay both

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:08 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Cleary, Dan

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Cleary, Dan
A contender, for sure.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Sparksrus3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonFord View Post
Why choose when you can just pay both
The mets are still paying bobby Bonilla until 2036. 1 mill plus per year. Instead of 5.9 mill in the year 2000 that would have finished their deal. That to me is the worst contract or call it negotiated payout I have heard of. Not hockey related but just a fyi

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparksrus3 View Post
The mets are still paying bobby Bonilla until 2036. 1 mill plus per year. Instead of 5.9 mill in the year 2000 that would have finished their deal. That to me is the worst contract or call it negotiated payout I have heard of. Not hockey related but just a fyi
Yashin's apparently still on the NYI's payroll for a couple more seasons, so I'd be tempted to put him as the 2nd worst contract (or negotiated payout) of all time, after Bonilla... way after Bonilla.

Ogie Goldthorpe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 08:56 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
I'm a bit surprised there has been no honourable mention for MacArthur in this thread (and I'm a Sens fan). Don't get me wrong, its FAR from the worst contract, far, far from it. I just think he may not score much more than 10 goals (though I really hope to be proven wrong), and his contract would then be a slight overpayment, though still not terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spOiler View Post
The players who have names beginning in C all got bad contracts apparently.
Clarke MacArthur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bxQb View Post
Crawford, easily. Clarkson isn't far off, however.
So Crawford is 'easily' the worst, yet Clarkson is close? Isn't that a contradiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparksrus3 View Post
Wow, really??!?

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Jamie Benn!

vCash: 50
Clarkson and Clowe are the obvious picks, but the Crawford signing as well as the Mike Smith signings were very questionable.

Sure, Crawford won a cup. But I feel this is the Chris Osgood effect, the Hawks were so stacked on the front end, Crawford didn't really get tested. Not to mention he has the one of the worst glove hands in the league. Smith is such a long term deal paying so much for one playoff run where he played outstanding. He wasn't spectacular last season by any means.

Twitter | HFBoards Contact | Youtube | Instagram| Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Clarkson and Clowe are the obvious picks, but the Crawford signing as well as the Mike Smith signings were very questionable.

Sure, Crawford won a cup. But I feel this is the Chris Osgood effect, the Hawks were so stacked on the front end, Crawford didn't really get tested. Not to mention he has the one of the worst glove hands in the league. Smith is such a long term deal paying so much for one playoff run where he played outstanding. He wasn't spectacular last season by any means.
Re: Smith. He wasn't just stellar in the playofs, he had a Vezina calibre season just before them.

I'm a Rangers fan and Lundqvist is my favourite player, but I think in all honesty that Smith deserved it that year. They were neck-and-neck (with Quick right behind), but if I had to choose who had the better season I would have to go with Smith by the smallest possible margin.

His regression this past season makes 2011-12 look like an outlier year and concurrently his contract carries a big risk, but it is unfair to say that he only got paid for one playoff run.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 12:45 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
Really? Up here rumor is he wanted to go to Toronto?
Wait, you're telling me Canadian pundits living in Canada were convinced that a Canadian player wanted to play in Canada's biggest city?

Wow, that's some objective thinking on their part.

The reason he's playing in Toronto is because of that ghastly contract they gave him. He would have been certifiably insane to turn down that offer.

AfroThunder396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 06:56 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA#11 View Post
Devil fans try to take solace in the fact that Clowe's deal isn't quite as pathetic as Clarkson but both are equally brutal and I think Clowe may have people killing his deal before even Clarkson.

Clowe literally can't skate and being that their other forwards are also probably the slowest in the NHL I really don't see who Clowe can play with that would make him as effective as he used to be.
Doesn't really surprise anyone that you pick a Devils player. Also doesn't really surprise anyone that you don't know what "literally" means.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote