HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Rank the best Hart trophy winning seasons of the 1990s

Old
09-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Those are the ones I remember the most.

Bourque and Forsberg got robbed, but that's another matter.
Bourque is 1990 as we all know (although Messier had an otherworldly season that year too). But is it 1998 where you thought Forsberg got robbed? He finished 8th and only got 4th and 5th place votes. Was that it? Because he wasn't even close. But which season was Forsberg robbed in your opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post
It contained arguably the best streak of his career, but boy did he under-perform in those first 20 games when he was sub-.900 and getting booed.

Mario Lemieux, 1993
Mark Messier, 1990
Jaromir Jagr, 1999
Brett Hull, 1991
Dominik Hasek, 1997
Sergei Fedorov, 1994
Mark Messier, 1992
Dominik Hasek, 1998
Mario Lemieux, 1996
Eric Lindros, 1995
That is awfully low for Mario in 1996. I know a couple people have said things about missing 12 games and such, but as far as I am concerned when you get 161 points you can miss 12 games and still have it be an all-time great year. Mario still scored a lot in the second half of the season, but in the first half he was doing things to the NHL that we hadn't seen since Gretzky's prime. Just utterly dominant. It was one of those seasons where you just can't ignore the offense.

As for Messier in 1992, I don't disagree with him winning it at all, but rather looking at his entire season one of them has to be near the bottom. Messier in 1992 wins the Hart, takes the Rangers to first place overall the first year on the team. It makes sense that he won it. However he only has 107 points that year - good for 6th overall while the others on this list either dominated the scoring title or finished a close second. 1992 wasn't as impressive as 1990 in my opinion. 5 other players - Lemieux, Stevens, Gretzky, Hull and Robitaille outpointed him. It isn't as if he didn't deserve the Hart, he just didn't have a dominant season like the others. And 1992 was the perfect year for this too. Lemieux missed 16 games (enough to push him to 5th in Hart voting), Gretzky for the first time in a decade had a mortal season of 121 points and didn't get any Hart votes. Roy had a great year and was closest to the Hart, while Hull "slumped" to 70 goals. So the classic options had off years.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I really don't know why you like Hasek in 1998 so much better than Hasek in 1997, to be honest. I also find it incredibly difficult to slot goalie seasons in with forward seasons, but here's my best try:
He just took it up another notch that year. 13 shutouts, 6 in the month of December. Took a lottery team to the postseason and this is probably the greatest single season a goalie has ever had, or among the top 3. I put it 2nd because I felt I could blend it in with the forwards, and because there is almost no season worthy of Lemieux in 1993.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote