HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dan Cleary (Sept. 12: Signed With Detroit, 1-year, $1.75M)

Old
09-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 500
Holmgren could only guarantee a PTO. If Cleary rips his achillies tomorrow, Holmgren isn't going to give him any deal. As of last night, Cleary had a PTO and a 1 year/1.75M contract option. He took the guaranteed money + staying in DET.

I fully believe that if Holmgren wasn't hamstrung by the cap, Cleary would be at Flyers camp with a 3 year deal.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 03:21 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Holmgren could only guarantee a PTO. If Cleary rips his achillies tomorrow, Holmgren isn't going to give him any deal. As of last night, Cleary had a PTO and a 1 year/1.75M contract option. He took the guaranteed money + staying in DET.

I fully believe that if Holmgren wasn't hamstrung by the cap, Cleary would be at Flyers camp with a 3 year deal.

Had there been Cap Space for 2013 I honest believe also that Homer could have bested the one year $1.75M Detroit contract offer... However... the three year 8.25M rumored contract offer is merely that; a rumor... and we have conjecture and Homer's statement that that was not the case. Many of the ones who conjectured on the length and terms also stated that it was a done deal that could not be announced until Pronger was on LTIR and the Cap Space was obtained through the Adjustment. My point is that we have the word of the person who is responsible and said after the horse had left the barn and the deal was complete, and the conjecture of people who claimed it was a done deal... Who should we believe? The bashers will certainly point to past misleading statements made by Homer to protect potential deals and the integrity of the GM confidentiality process code... I say that at this point Homer fibbing would serve little to no purpose and he could easily avoid answering the question as many a GM has done in the past and will continue to do in the future.

What makes sense and what doesn't make sense after the fact here IMO goes a long way in trying to piece together what may or may not have happened with Cleary... I believe that both the Flyers and the Wings think highly of Cleary and wanted him and Detroit got him while we fans got fed a lot of baloney.

I also believe that the Red Wings fans will now readdress their statements of Cleary being washed up and welcome him with open arms as they brag how their GM stole him out from under the Flyers grasp and got him at a downright bargain.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Curufinwe

Most of them won't do that because they have consistently said that Cleary was washed up for a year or more. They have good young players who will now not make the team because of Cleary coming back.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 05:40 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Most of them won't do that because they have consistently said that Cleary was washed up for a year or more. They have good young players who will now not make the team because of Cleary coming back.
I was going by human nature... but I guess if he was a fan whipping boy at any level, they will still keep on him and attack their re-signing him.

Funny how coaches, GMs and Organizations who have first hand knowledge and a fine grasp on NHL hockey have less hockey sense than the average hockey fan who frequents fan forums.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 05:43 PM
PhilaFlyers

Cleary is apparently keeping Gustav Nyquist off the roster in Detroit. They aren't happy over there.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 05:54 PM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Mike Zeisberger ‏@Zeisberger 3h
Cleary: "Paul Holmgren was a real gentleman + a class act through this whole process.". #Wings #Flyers

YEA BUT HE LIED TO JEFF CARTER!!

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 06:02 PM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

Best Non-Signing of the offseason!!

OzFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 07:13 PM
tymed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymed View Post
Thank you Detroit for taking him back off our hands.

One of the hardest working players in the league no doubt, but simply doesn't have the skills to match.

Stay used to this guy losing puck battles and falling down every shift he's in (you call it the Dan Cleary Drinking Game).

had to do it...

tymed is offline   Reply With Quote