HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Simon Gagne- Update 10/15/14: Signs 1 year deal with the Bruins.

Old
09-09-2013, 05:41 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

vCash: 500
"New assistant general manager Ron Hextall said Friday the Flyers were looking at "three or four" veterans to invite to camp. Hextall said he did not know whether Simon Gagne, 33, would be one of those invites. Other free agents on the market include defenseman Ron Hainsey and left wing Brenden Morrow."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/..._Laughton.html

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 09:20 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Again the fact that Hextall is meh on Gagne should say something. He's not showing deference and shouldn't. He saw Gagne in LA and knows that Sutter benched his butt so he is probably giving Holmgren some good insight on why there might be better options which is not limited to rookies but also other unsigned veterans.
Per Meltzer below.....was my speculation as well...

So now that Hexy and Holmgren put a fork in DFF's and other's baffling Gagne lobbying effort...this debate can finally end. Of course, the Cleary debate is just beginning....should be interesting.

Having said this, my argument all along that Gagne wasn't the fit some thought he would be has played out. Even if Cleary is overpaid due to his market value and he will be slower to the corners..at least he'll battle in them and not be a periphery player like Gagne who was afraid of contact and injury. He has more jam than Gagne..more a fit with the Lavi's and Sutters of the world...

Appreciate Gagne's service to the Flyers but his ship has sailed...

Quote:
There is also a host of trickle-down effects of the Cleary signing. First of all, you can just about forget the possibility of the Flyers re-signing Simon Gagne. It could be argued that Cleary is a better stylistic balance to the aforementioned line combination and somewhat less of an injury risk than Gagne. However, despite being in decline as an offensive player, Gagne is still the more gifted offensive talent of the two. Both are responsible two-way players.

At least in terms of public vibes, it seemed like the organization had more interest in re-signing Gagne right at the end of last season and then the interest cooled off over the summer. I cannot help but wonder about the input Ron Hextall may have had in internal discussions with Paul Holmgren. Hextall got to see Gagne's entire stint in Los Angeles firsthand. In comparing his observations with Holmgren's, it is possible that the two agreed that Cleary was a better fit to the team's specific needs if they could get him. This is strictly my own speculation, of course.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...Leier/45/53837

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 09:37 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Hey did you ever think there might be a player that surprises in camp? Who knows who could surprise..there is always one. Why commit to some player who only plays a north south game like freaking Powe....dime a dozen. Even if people think he'll be more productive I still believe he will be in a suit off the ice more than suited up on the ice.

BTW..there might also be a better FA out there...
Well Cleary is better "stylistically" as Meltzer noted..more Lavi jam as I noted as well.. but definitely pricey in money and term.

Old
09-10-2013, 11:25 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Having said this, my argument all along that Gagne wasn't the fit some thought he would be has played out. Even if Cleary is overpaid due to his market value and he will be slower to the corners..at least he'll battle in them and not be a periphery player like Gagne who was afraid of contact and injury. He has more jam than Gagne..more a fit with the Lavi's and Sutters of the world...
Bill mentioned it, but the addition of Cleary means that Talbot is as good as gone.

I can see Max in a package with Meszaros (I hope not Coburn) and maybe even Read.

I really don't like the Cleary signing at all.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 11:33 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Bill mentioned it, but the addition of Cleary means that Talbot is as good as gone.

I can see Max in a package with Meszaros (I hope not Coburn) and maybe even Read.

I really don't like the Cleary signing at all.
Well it is not great but let's see how it all plays out. Maybe that package you mention nets us something considerable and Cleary becomes more of a nuisance afterthought..

Old
09-10-2013, 12:14 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

With Cleary getting signed that will definitely leave Gagne out of the Flyers lineup. Not sure I like Cleary over Gags.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 03:24 PM
JustJim

Since Cleary resigned with Detroit, I figured Gagne would be offered a deal and stay here. However, it was announced today that Gagne will not be given an offer. It is believed that Simon Gagne will be going to the Montreal Canadiens.
I cannot stand Paul Holmgren!
When will he finally be fired!?

JustJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJim View Post
Since Cleary resigned with Detroit, I figured Gagne would be offered a deal and stay here. However, it was announced today that Gagne will not be given an offer. It is believed that Simon Gagne will be going to the Montreal Canadiens.
I was waiting for a post like this.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
It won't be over Gagne.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Prongo
Beer

We all really need to get over Gagne. The last three years he has played an average of 45 games per year, and the Flyers are extremely tight against the cap. We know the minute we sign him, we have to find available cap space to replace him for half the year as well. Gagne isn't suited for a third line role on this Flyers team, they need someone who can be a little more physical and win battles in the corner for Read and Couts. Gagne doesn't give you that. Love the guy for who he is and was, but we shouldn't sign him because of what he was, Cleary was a better option than him, especially on the contract Detroit signed him to.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 03:29 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm actually happy Gagne won't be back (hides behind tree as rocks come flying by some). I just wasn't that impressed with his performance last year....

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Gagne's time has passed. 30 games with Giroux as your centre, you should probably be netting more than 5 goals and 11 points.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 03:45 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Haha. Hey I like Gagne as much as the next guy, but his not being offered a contract is not something to lose sleep over. If it were me, I would have given him AT LEAST a PTO. I think he is a better option than what we have. That being said, I think the team will be fine without him. I just worry that all the unproven guys will fizzle out and we'll be left looking to make a trade at the deadline (one that will inevitably be panned by the masses).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 03:48 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Harold Bingo
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Haha. Hey I like Gagne as much as the next guy, but his not being offered a contract is not something to lose sleep over. If it were me, I would have given him AT LEAST a PTO. I think he is a better option than what we have. That being said, I think the team will be fine without him. I just worry that all the unproven guys will fizzle out and we'll be left looking to make a trade at the deadline (one that will inevitably be panned by the masses).
I find myself often agreeing with your posts, DFF. I feel the same way about this situation with Gagne.

Harold Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
I'm actually happy Gagne won't be back (hides behind tree as rocks come flying by some). I just wasn't that impressed with his performance last year....
I threw a rock, did it hit you?

Dirty but Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 06:22 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew8 View Post
I threw a rock, did it hit you?
sho nuff

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 06:26 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

I bet Gagne is signed already just not officially till the LTIR kicks in. Why get Gags and than let him walk?
Plus Gagne wants to stay and finish his career in Philly

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 06:29 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
I bet Gagne is signed already just not officially till the LTIR kicks in. Why get Gags and than let him walk?
He won't be back...

Old
09-12-2013, 07:22 PM
captainpaxil

the cleary signing pretty much showed the organization has no confidence in the ability of these young players to make an impact. while we may now be without the grinding talents of cleary I think its pretty obvious gagnes services would be welcomed

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 07:40 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
the cleary signing pretty much showed the organization has no confidence in the ability of these young players to make an impact. while we may now be without the grinding talents of cleary I think its pretty obvious gagnes services would be welcomed
Well Paul Holmgren disagrees with you.

Quote:
Holmgren says Flyers will "stick with what they've got" as opposed to calling gagne.
Quote:
Holmgren also says Flyers "closed the door" on Gagne a couple days ago.
Source: Sarah Baicker @sbaickerCSN

Old
09-12-2013, 08:02 PM
Wiqkid*

What a bummer. I love Gags

Wiqkid* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 08:24 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Hate to disappoint you:

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey...-au-visage.php

The interview is in French, but thanks to Google translate, the gist is that Simon was under the impression that he would be back and had asked his agent not to negotiate with other teams. He said that Cleary signing was "like a slap in the face". He is very upset with Homer and co.

Last edited by CSKA1974: 09-12-2013 at 08:30 PM.
CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 08:29 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Hate to disappoint you:

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey...-au-visage.php

And if true, I am very upset with Homer.
Care to give a little synopsis for us non-French speaking posters?

Old
09-12-2013, 08:31 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Care to give a little synopsis for us non-French speaking posters?
Just edited my post.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote