HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Training Camp/General Oiler news thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-12-2013, 03:01 PM
  #251
alphahelix
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
Don't you jerks think that Smyth has earned a real shot at training camp with all the blood sweat and tears he has poured into this team and city? Last year with the lockout and everything I don't think it was a level playing field for this old fogey. The season before, he had a real strong stretch. I don't think you can get a whole season out of smytty these days, but he might ease our top 6 woes for a few games while we await RNH. Let him be.

alphahelix is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 03:07 PM
  #252
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,069
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
Don't you jerks think that Smyth has earned a real shot at training camp with all the blood sweat and tears he has poured into this team and city? Last year with the lockout and everything I don't think it was a level playing field for this old fogey. The season before, he had a real strong stretch. I don't think you can get a whole season out of smytty these days, but he might ease our top 6 woes for a few games while we await RNH. Let him be.
With RNH out, I'm sure Smyth will get some opportunities at camp. If Smyth can prove that he can play at a high level to Eakins(the fitness nut), then he'll get decent icetime.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 03:23 PM
  #253
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
Smyth is like a woman with a DD cup size going jogging.

He needs as much support as he can get.
Hall and Hemsky should provide that offensive support.

Turrican* is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 03:26 PM
  #254
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,069
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican View Post
Smyth is like a woman with a DD cup size going jogging.

He needs as much support as he can get.
Hall and Hemsky should provide that offensive support.
with how he was skating last year, it seemed like FF

AlowlyOilersfan is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 03:27 PM
  #255
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,278
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
Don't you jerks think that Smyth has earned a real shot at training camp with all the blood sweat and tears he has poured into this team and city? Last year with the lockout and everything I don't think it was a level playing field for this old fogey. The season before, he had a real strong stretch. I don't think you can get a whole season out of smytty these days, but he might ease our top 6 woes for a few games while we await RNH. Let him be.
When the kids were carrying him, yes.

He's old and DONE.

As for the on ice stuff, how intense was the bag skate?

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 03:30 PM
  #256
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,884
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
When the kids were carrying him, yes.

He's old and DONE.

As for the on ice stuff, how intense was the bag skate?
Had 30 seconds to sprint to one side and back to the blueline. If you finished in 15 seconds you had 15 seconds of rest. If you took 29 seconds, then you had 1 second of rest.

Not sure how many times they did these.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 03:31 PM
  #257
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,069
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Had 30 seconds to sprint to one side and back to the blueline. If you finished in 15 seconds you had 15 seconds of rest. If you took 29 seconds, then you had 1 second of rest.

Not sure how many times they did these.
3 mins = 180 seconds

180/30 = 6

6 times?

AlowlyOilersfan is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 03:48 PM
  #258
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,884
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
3 mins = 180 seconds

180/30 = 6

6 times?
I feel that this is something that you shouldn't have a ? at the end of

I never heard how long it was. Just that after 2 or 3 some guys felt the burn. Ference talked as if that is what he does for fun on hot sunny day

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 03:54 PM
  #259
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,069
vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I feel that this is something that you shouldn't have a ? at the end of

I never heard how long it was. Just that after 2 or 3 some guys felt the burn. Ference talked as if that is what he does for fun on hot sunny day
breaking my my ball(s?) here...

apparently he annihilated the VO2 Max test too.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 03:54 PM
  #260
PumpkinBomb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahelix View Post
Don't you jerks think that Smyth has earned a real shot at training camp with all the blood sweat and tears he has poured into this team and city? Last year with the lockout and everything I don't think it was a level playing field for this old fogey. The season before, he had a real strong stretch. I don't think you can get a whole season out of smytty these days, but he might ease our top 6 woes for a few games while we await RNH. Let him be.
You're right than Smyth probably deserves a break. But fans are so sick of the past nepotism, giving breaks to so many players who didn't deserve it. Anymore breaks just sickens the fan base.

Also, it wasn't the lack of talent that bothered the fans (or maybe just me?) last season, with the vets, or the season before that even, it was the lack of effort.

Smyth didn't try last year.

PumpkinBomb is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 04:03 PM
  #261
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,278
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post
You're right than Smyth probably deserves a break. But fans are so sick of the past nepotism, giving breaks to so many players who didn't deserve it. Anymore breaks just sickens the fan base.

Also, it wasn't the lack of talent that bothered the fans (or maybe just me?) last season, with the vets, or the season before that even, it was the lack of effort.

Smyth didn't try last year.
Then he should quit, because that pathetic if that's what he did.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 04:03 PM
  #262
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,884
vCash: 50
Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor 3m
Line combos day one of camp: Smyth/Hall/Hemsky, R. Hamilton/Gagner/Eberle, Perron/Gordon/Yakupov. Eakins did say he wants vets with Hall.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 04:04 PM
  #263
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,278
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor 3m
Line combos day one of camp: Smyth/Hall/Hemsky, R. Hamilton/Gagner/Eberle, Perron/Gordon/Yakupov. Eakins did say he wants vets with Hall.
for **** sakes, ugh.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 04:05 PM
  #264
Bushwick Bill
Registered User
 
Bushwick Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,127
vCash: 500
facepalm yourself

Bushwick Bill is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 04:10 PM
  #265
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,053
vCash: 500
Oscar Klefbom Undergoing Concussion Protocol

Dan Tencer
Dallas Eakins confirms that Oilers are following concussion protocol with Oscar Klefbom after he got elbowed in head on Tuesday night. Hopefully the concussion for Klefbom is as "mild" as possible. Tough start after missing most of last year with shoulder injury. It was Levko Koper of the Golden Bears who elbowed Klefbom. Reminds me of Tulipov on Eager a couple years ago. Was a big setback for Ben...

Soli is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 04:11 PM
  #266
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor 3m
Line combos day one of camp: Smyth/Hall/Hemsky, R. Hamilton/Gagner/Eberle, Perron/Gordon/Yakupov. Eakins did say he wants vets with Hall.

Who is R. Hamilton?

dustrock is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 04:13 PM
  #267
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Who is R. Hamilton?
Ryan Hamilton.

Played for the Leafs/Marlies last season.

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 04:14 PM
  #268
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,684
vCash: 500
Hall/Hemsky?

Can Eberle play LW?

smackdaddy is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 04:14 PM
  #269
Red Deer Rebel
Registered User
 
Red Deer Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 2,315
vCash: 500
Hamilton and Smyth combined for 2 goals in the NHL last year, and Eakins has them on the top 2 lines.

Perron is playing with Gordon. Incredible.

Red Deer Rebel is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 04:14 PM
  #270
Bushwick Bill
Registered User
 
Bushwick Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Who is R. Hamilton?
this guy


Bushwick Bill is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 04:15 PM
  #271
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,684
vCash: 500
I feel I shouldn't have to point out that line combos at DAY ONE of training camp will not resemble anything we'll see opening day.

smackdaddy is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 04:16 PM
  #272
c4fn8d
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor 3m
Line combos day one of camp: Smyth/Hall/Hemsky, R. Hamilton/Gagner/Eberle, Perron/Gordon/Yakupov. Eakins did say he wants vets with Hall.
So Eakins doesn't want anyone to divide the team with Young vs Old, but he wants to divide the team by Vet's and Non-vets? And since Eberle is not on the line with Hall I would assume it is Eberle who is not the Vet. My head is literally going to explode.

c4fn8d is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 04:17 PM
  #273
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 24,884
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
Hamilton and Smyth combined for 2 goals in the NHL last year, and Eakins has them on the top 2 lines.

Perron is playing with Gordon. Incredible.
What's incredible is how people don't realize that the Oilers are split into three groups right now. There is no line 1-2-3-4

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 04:17 PM
  #274
Toydarian
Registered User
 
Toydarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,501
vCash: 500
In regards to the line combinations, Eakins wouldn't be doing due diligence as a head coach if he didn't explore all of his line options throughout training camp.

Toydarian is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 04:19 PM
  #275
SK13
Mo'Linguish
 
SK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,948
vCash: 500
FFS. This is the same type of old-guard thinking that got half the veteran coaches in the league ushered out.

The term 'veteran' couldn't possibly mean less where Smyth is concerned. Nobody makes more dumb decisions on the team than Ryan Smyth. Eberle is way smarter, way less mistake prone. He can actually skate, too, which you think might be important considering how much of Hall's game is speed based.

I mean, there's no way in hell that's a line to start the season anyway, because it won't succeed against AHL line-ups.

SK13 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.