HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Salo's Revival... somewhat...

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2004, 07:24 AM
dawgbone

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Salo's Revival... somewhat...

There is no doubt that Salo has played significantly better now than he did earlier...

But there is also a big difference between now and earlier... no free chances for the opposition.

The Oilers haven't left a guy standing all alone for easy tap ins, especially on the pk. In the game against Philly, Salo needed to come up with some big saves, but in every situation, there was an Oiler player with at least a stick on the guy with the scoring chance. Early on, the opposition was getting the puck in front of the net, and there was no one near them.

That makes every bit of difference, and both the Oilers goaltenders are benefitting from it.

Old
01-14-2004, 07:44 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
There is no doubt that Salo has played significantly better now than he did earlier...

But there is also a big difference between now and earlier... no free chances for the opposition.

The Oilers haven't left a guy standing all alone for easy tap ins, especially on the pk. In the game against Philly, Salo needed to come up with some big saves, but in every situation, there was an Oiler player with at least a stick on the guy with the scoring chance. Early on, the opposition was getting the puck in front of the net, and there was no one near them.

That makes every bit of difference, and both the Oilers goaltenders are benefitting from it.
One thing I have noticed about Salo's game is that he seems to be more aggressive, challenging the shooters. IMO, the PK has gotten better because of the goaltending and not the other way around although the point guys seem to be more aggressive as well. But the goalie is usually your best PKer and Salo is proof right now.

Old
01-14-2004, 07:46 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
One thing I have noticed about Salo's game is that he seems to be more aggressive, challenging the shooters. IMO, the PK has gotten better because of the goaltending and not the other way around although the point guys seem to be more aggressive as well. But the goalie is usually your best PKer and Salo is proof right now.
When was the last time a member of the opposition was left untouched and put a rebound, or a cross-crease pass into the net?

That was happening 1-2 times a game earlier on in the season...

Old
01-14-2004, 07:52 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
When was the last time a member of the opposition was left untouched and put a rebound, or a cross-crease pass into the net?

That was happening 1-2 times a game earlier on in the season...
I agree but to say it was the defense fault is incorrect. Salo struggled and he'd be the first one to tell you. He's playing much better and the team is also in front of him.

Old
01-14-2004, 07:56 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
I agree but to say it was the defense fault is incorrect. Salo struggled and he'd be the first one to tell you. He's playing much better and the team is also in front of him.
What is it with faulting one group/player over another? Both the defence and Salo have stepped up there play, which is the point I was trying to make.

Salo has come up with bigger saves, and the defence (the forwards as well), have made life a little harder for the opposition on those saves.

Old
01-14-2004, 08:01 AM
Digger12

Quote:

IMO that's a very fair observation.

In the last while, I'd say on the whole the Oilers' D has played much better, especially the trio of Smith/Brewer/Semenov. Smith has been the Oilers' best defensive dman up until his injury, Brewer FINALLY resembles the guy we saw a couple of seasons ago, and Semenov is playing inspired lately, it's hard not to think that Ulanov's arrival is a coincidence in this matter.

Cross and Staios have been the same, and Ferguson has dropped a notch. Bergeron is hot and cold...he does some things very well, but other things very poorly. With Lynch/Woywitka/Greene not far off, the comfort zone for the 3rd pairing guys is getting smaller and smaller.

When Smith comes back, it's looking more and more like MAB will be Toronto bound again, and Fergie will be demoted to #7.

Brewer/Cross
Smith/Staios
Semeneov/Ulanov

Ferguson

Not much offensive prowess in there, but a physical and nasty one if they keep playing as they are. Ulanov has been huge.

Old
01-14-2004, 08:28 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
What is it with faulting one group/player over another? Both the defence and Salo have stepped up there play, which is the point I was trying to make.

Salo has come up with bigger saves, and the defence (the forwards as well), have made life a little harder for the opposition on those saves.
Settle down, will ya. It's never been about faulting a player or a group. When a player doesn't play well, there's nothing wrong with saying he's not. Are your suggesting that the players don't be accountable for their performance?

When Salo plays well, I say he does. When he doesn't I say he doesn't. And your the one who was faulting the defence's play at the beginning of the season to begin with.

There nothing wrong with stating an opinion as to the performance of a player. Everyone know, including Salo himself that he was struggling at the beginning, fighting the puck, etc. Well, everyone except you I guess. The important things is that he seems to be back on track which is good for the Oilers.

Old
01-14-2004, 08:56 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Settle down, will ya. It's never been about faulting a player or a group. When a player doesn't play well, there's nothing wrong with saying he's not. Are your suggesting that the players don't be accountable for their performance?

When Salo plays well, I say he does. When he doesn't I say he doesn't. And your the one who was faulting the defence's play at the beginning of the season to begin with.

There nothing wrong with stating an opinion as to the performance of a player. Everyone know, including Salo himself that he was struggling at the beginning, fighting the puck, etc. Well, everyone except you I guess. The important things is that he seems to be back on track which is good for the Oilers.
I am settled... apparantly you aren't if you think this thread is getting testy... I don't.

I <b>clearly</b> stated that Salo is playing much better than he had earlier. At the same time, I gave a lot of credit to the defense and forwards for also picking up their play defensively, which is also playing a part in the Oilers better play defensively and lowing of (which was at one point the leagues worst) GAA.

I didn't fault or blame anyone, because quite frankly, I was always under the impression that hockey was a team game. Generally, when a team is losing it is because of multiple factors... not just one.

Early on, the Oilers had some suspect goaltending, and some shotty defensive zone coverage.

Then the Oilers were victimized by poor offense and shotty specialty teams play.

These are all factors in which the blame falls on more than one player, and it will take more than one player in order to turn these things around.

Old
01-14-2004, 09:16 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
I am settled... apparantly you aren't if you think this thread is getting testy... I don't.

I <b>clearly</b> stated that Salo is playing much better than he had earlier. At the same time, I gave a lot of credit to the defense and forwards for also picking up their play defensively, which is also playing a part in the Oilers better play defensively and lowing of (which was at one point the leagues worst) GAA.

I didn't fault or blame anyone, because quite frankly, I was always under the impression that hockey was a team game. Generally, when a team is losing it is because of multiple factors... not just one.

Early on, the Oilers had some suspect goaltending, and some shotty defensive zone coverage.

Then the Oilers were victimized by poor offense and shotty specialty teams play.

These are all factors in which the blame falls on more than one player, and it will take more than one player in order to turn these things around.
It takes alot for for me to get testy so do worry about.

I don't get why you think I'm disagreeing with you or are your just looking to pick an argument? I agreed with your first post that Salo is getting better, gave a few observations on what I think he's doing better and you launched into the "When was the last time a member of the opposition was left untouched and put a rebound, or a cross-crease pass into the net?

I thought this thread was about Salo playing better, not the defense. Hockey is a team game but it's possible that different facets of the game are not going as good as others. But even you said that Salo is getting more help, insinuating the defence wasn't playing good to begin with.

Tell me again how it got from me agreeing with your initial post to me arguing with you. I don't get. Must be a slow day of HF Boards.

Old
01-14-2004, 09:25 AM
Oi'll say!

The thing I've always noticed about Tommy is that when he does his best work he is usually very aggressive.

When the d is playing well and there aren't players roaming loose in front of him he is free to challenge a bit more and can be very hard to beat. When things are a bit sketchy in the Oilers own end and he has to stay well within the blue paint you can just see the puck going in b4 it happens sometimes.

Whether Salo's play gave the d more confidence and calmer feet or vice versa is chicken or egg stuff, but over the past two seasons we've had quite a bit of turnover on defense, there have been far too many times when our 6th and 7th d-men have both been of the "0 nhl games played" variety.

On the heels of our best defensive season ever we traded away Poti, Butenschon & Brown and started the next season with two rookies at the back end. In the past two years the d-men who have cut their teeth in the nhl here include Semi, Bergeron, Luoma, Henry, Lynch, Haakana & Allen, maybe more. I'm not saying that the goalie will always reek when there's a rookie d-man in the lineup, but when there's going to be at least one rookie in the lineup every night you have to know that your goalie will go through some tough times.

Salo must think he's dreaming when he sees 4 guys in front of him at or near the 30 yr old mark along with another veteran and a sophomore.

Old
01-14-2004, 09:34 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
It takes alot for for me to get testy so do worry about.

I don't get why you think I'm disagreeing with you or are your just looking to pick an argument? I agreed with your first post that Salo is getting better, gave a few observations on what I think he's doing better and you launched into the "When was the last time a member of the opposition was left untouched and put a rebound, or a cross-crease pass into the net?
You said the primary reason the pk was doing better was because of goaltending, and I disagreed, it is a combination of both better defensive play, and better goaltending. The reason why I asked that question was because that was a regular occurance at the beginning of the year, and it doesn't happen anymore.

Quote:
I thought this thread was about Salo playing better, not the defense. Hockey is a team game but it's possible that different facets of the game are not going as good as others. But even you said that Salo is getting more help, insinuating the defence wasn't playing good to begin with.
This thread was about both... which is why I implied both were the reasons and stated <i>Salo's Revival... somewhat...</i> in the thread title. The defence wasn't playing very good to start off... I don't really think there is any argument on that point is there?

Quote:
Tell me again how it got from me agreeing with your initial post to me arguing with you. I don't get. Must be a slow day of HF Boards.
I had initially stated that both the goaltending and defensive play had gotten better, and you said I was blaming the defence instead of the goaltending... which I wasn't doing and was trying to point out.

Old
01-14-2004, 09:57 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
You said the primary reason the pk was doing better was because of goaltending, and I disagreed, it is a combination of both better defensive play, and better goaltending. The reason why I asked that question was because that was a regular occurance at the beginning of the year, and it doesn't happen anymore.
Fair enough although I still disagree. The goaltender is and always will be your best penalty killer. I played on so many undisciplined teams and our PK was terrible. We did have the best goalie of the league which was why we didn't allow a lot of PP goals. The goaltending position has a way of making the defense look good.

I do agree 100% that the defense is playing alot better and on the PK, the forwards are pressuring alot more the points, but the turnaround in the PK, as I said, is primarily due to Salo's improved play. I mean, the goaltending position is one position that makes all the difference in the world. The Oilers went from allowing one garanteed PP goal a game to shutting the opposing down completly(or almost) in a short time. I think Salo has alot more to do with than the defence.

Closed Thread