HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Training Camp Thread (Final Impressions Time - Countdown to Opening Night)

Old
09-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Persona5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
interesting that Jones is on Kleins squad not Webers...
This does not surprise me one bit. When Trotz mentioned about Jones playing on the left side many took it as being paired with Weber. I knew it would be with Klein. If we move Ellis I could see us using Jones on the third pairing but if Ellis isn't moved I think he will end up on the second pairing with Klein. What will be interesting is who will end up on the 3rd pairing? Ekholm/Bartley/Ellis will be fighting for those 2 spots and the one left out will be our depth.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 03:25 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
they're so high on Ekholm, I can't see him not making it.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
FWIW, Centennial's ice system should be fixed in the next 24 hours, but there was no word on the location of tomorrow's practice sessions. Make sure to check team site and Twitter for latest updates.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 04:30 PM
TootooTrain
Southern Hospitality

Quote:
Originally Posted by urho View Post
That's odd. He was mostly playing wing in Kärpät. How has The Bull looked anyway?
Trying to dig up some information on him myself. He's got darkhorse written all over him, there just doesn't seem to be a roster spot available as of this moment. Wish Sissions or Salomaki would have been given a shot over signing Hendricks. Does anyone know if Salomaki is starting in the AHL or heading back to SM-liiga?

TootooTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Trying to dig up some information on him myself. He's got darkhorse written all over him, there just doesn't seem to be a roster spot available as of this moment. Wish Sissions or Salomaki would have been given a shot over signing Hendricks. Does anyone know if Salomaki is starting in the AHL or heading back to SM-liiga?
Salomaki looks good thus far this week. Has impressed in both viewings. Thought it as interesting he was playing center today, that's why I pointed it out on Twitter, but also wonder if its not due to Watson being out with a leg contusion.

Scrimmages begin tomorrow at 12 noon...

Old
09-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Seth Lake

Ice plant is fixed at Centennial Sportsplex and they are running programs tonight. Therefore, training camp resumes in the morning at Centennial instead of Bridgestone Arena.

One team will go through a full practice starting at 9:15 AM and the other two groups will practice, then scrimmage starting at 12 noon.

Old
09-12-2013, 11:03 PM
thecloser

From what I saw today I am a huge advocate of trading Ellis and seeing if jarvinen can make it. He looked awesome.

FWIW Spaling had a very good day and Moser, Sissons, Salomaki and Cehlin stood out to me. And Forsberg is the real deal. He's got mad dangles and keeps the puck on a strong and not to mention a nasty looking wrister. I like ittttt

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 11:13 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloser View Post
From what I saw today I am a huge advocate of trading Ellis and seeing if jarvinen can make it. He looked awesome.

FWIW Spaling had a very good day and Moser, Sissons, Salomaki and Cehlin stood out to me. And Forsberg is the real deal. He's got mad dangles and keeps the puck on a strong and not to mention a nasty looking wrister. I like ittttt
Jarvinen definitely impressed today. Could easily see him moving into the rotation for a call up this season. Great size, uses his stick effectively to eliminate threats and maintains position well.

Old
09-13-2013, 01:11 AM
Seth Lake

Seeing the lineup printed tonight, Salomaki was in fact listed at center. Watson is on another team. Will be interested to see if he stays there as training camp continues and scrimmages and the preseason begin.

Working tomorrow, so I'll be interested in everyone else's opinions tomorrow. I plan on attending both days of camp this weekend.

Old
09-13-2013, 09:33 AM
Wrong Box Legwand

According to Cooper, Preds are already high on Stalberg. Anyone else who went see anything about him?

Wrong Box Legwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 11:02 AM
thecloser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon View Post
According to Cooper, Preds are already high on Stalberg. Anyone else who went see anything about him?
this might come off as being a homer because I'm a Stalberg fan and liked the signing but I thought his shot was pretty impressive. He seems to already fit in and you can kind of see guys looking up to him through camp. He stands out for sure, he's big and he's fast and his shot is great.

I think he's gonna shine here.

Old
09-13-2013, 12:55 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

JoshuaCooper ‏

Wonder if the Cullen/Stalberg/Wilson line is going to stick. They've been a trio in this first group...

https://twitter.com/joshuacooper

Possible top line?

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Preds33
RIP Shea Weber!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
JoshuaCooper ‏

Wonder if the Cullen/Stalberg/Wilson line is going to stick. They've been a trio in this first group...

https://twitter.com/joshuacooper

Possible top line?
Isn't this what most of us were expecting?

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 01:24 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
Isn't this what most of us were expecting?
Maybe with a dash of Horns or Forsberg, but yeah, I guess.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 01:53 PM
Persona5

I still am not sure Cullen mans the top line. I really think Fisher will end up there. Who has Fisher been teamed with during practice anyways?

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 02:18 PM
thecloser

you may not be sure but we're all gonna be pleasantly surprised when Cullen starts playing for us.

one thing to remember is that guys come here and can shine because other than weber and rinne there really isn't a superstar.

also, i think jarvinen needs to be in discussion for the 7th d-man immediately. impressive looking in size, strength and d-skill.

Old
09-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Pattypred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon View Post
I went for the first time today and the thing that stood out to me the most was - SPEED (at least 90% of the entire team).

Stalberg - speed with a wicked wrist shot. Wow. Also looked to be having lots of fun out there.
Legwand - I actually saw Leggy going at it hard at the boards digging for pucks and being physical.
Leipsic - fast, did a spin-a-rama around a D man and isn't afraid to shoot the puck.
Craig Smith - shooting more and accurately
Colin Wilson - looks healthy, no shoulder problems and ready to go full tilt into the season.
Nystrom - playing with attitude of don't f&(*&( with my goalie or teammates
Seth Jones - played really big and defended his goalie
Cullen - played well and I'm excited to see on our ice on 9/22

Overall, I liked the speed, the effort, the drive of everyone on the ice. Doesn't seem like anyone is taking anything for granted.

I'm so excited - I just can't hide it....

I am ready for some NASHVILLE PREDATORS HOCKEY

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 08:36 AM
Seth Lake

Lines for the teams through Sunday:

Team Blue:
Wilson - Cullen - Stalberg
Moser - Salomaki - Cehlin
Henderson - Sissons - Rask
Almeida - Crowder - X

Ellis - Weber
Valentine - Rodney
Vainonen - Piskula

Hutton
York (Hellberg)

Team Silver:
Nystrom - Fisher - Hornqvist
Beck - Spaling - Forsberg
Shalla - Van Guilder - Liambias
Tousignant

Jones - Klein
Jarvinen - Doetzel
Bitetto - Ford
Ruth

Mazanec
Darling

Team White
Bourque - Legwand - Smith
Clune - Gaustad - Hendricks
Leipsic - Girard - Budish
X - (Watson) - Saponari

Josi - Roussel
Bartley - Moffat
Ekholm - Aronson

Rinne
Reichard
Levine

Blue and White scrimmaged yesterday. White is practicing this morning while Blue and Silver will scrimmage this afternoon. White and Silver will scrimmage tomorrow as Blue practices.

Assuming there will be cuts made after Sunday's sessions. Likely junior players will be sent back and a few tryouts will be released to get down to two teams prior to heading to Florida.

Old
09-14-2013, 04:52 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Okay, reading into those line combos, I'm thinking Trotzy is going with this as a possible lineup:

Forward lines:
Wilson-Cullen-Stalberg
Nystrom-Fisher-Hornqvist
Bourque-Legwand-Smith
Beck-Spalin-Forsberg

D-man pairings:
Ellis-Weber
Jones-Klein
Josi-Roussel

Scratches/Fill-ins:
Clune-Gaustad-Hendricks
Bartley

Goalies:
Rinne
Hutton

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Webersmashpuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
Okay, reading into those line combos, I'm thinking Trotzy is going with this as a possible lineup:

Forward lines:
Wilson-Cullen-Stalberg
Nystrom-Fisher-Hornqvist
Bourque-Legwand-Smith
Beck-Spalin-Forsberg

D-man pairings:
Ellis-Weber
Jones-Klein
Josi-Roussel

Scratches/Fill-ins:
Clune-Gaustad-Hendricks
Bartley

Goalies:
Rinne
Hutton
I agree with the personnel for the most part except there is no way Roussel makes the team. I also don't see the Clune Gaustad Hendricks line being a scratch. It will be the Spaling line and Beck may be sent down at first just because of the numbers.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 05:25 PM
TootooTrain
Southern Hospitality

Nystom on anything other than the 4th line is confusing. He's a great energy/pest contributor, just not somebody I'd trust with more than 10 minutes a game.

TootooTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Seth Lake

Injury updates from camp - all my observations and not by any means an official report...

Sebastien Geoffrion skated today with the white team, but did not participate in contact drills as far as I recall. Had been out since last Saturday with a mild concussion.

Austin Watson skated on his own prior to the white team practicing this morning and worked with Mitch Korn and Pekka Rinne. Watson is battling his way back from a leg contusion.

Joonas Jarvinen had to leave today's scrimmage due to a lower body injury after getting his legs caught up in a neutral zone collision along the boards. He skated off after his own power introducing a series of Finnish four letter words to the crowd and was quickly told by the trainers on the bench that he would need to go to the locker room to be examined. He did so under his own power and returned after about fifteen minutes.

Kevin Henderson slid out in front of a Scott Ford slap shot to block it, was successful, but then started literally crawling to bench before play was halted and teammates helped him off the ice to the bench. Mark Van Guilder suffered a similar fate a minute later at the other end after blocking a shot. Could both possibly be fine for tomorrow or join Austin Watson on the IR with leg contusions.

Old
09-14-2013, 06:32 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post

Forward lines:
Wilson-Cullen-Stalberg
Nystrom-Fisher-Hornqvist
Bourque-Legwand-Smith
Beck-Spalin-Forsberg

D-man pairings:
Ellis-Weber
Jones-Klein
Josi-Roussel

Scratches/Fill-ins:
Clune-Gaustad-Hendricks
Bartley

Goalies:
Rinne
Hutton
Roussel is nowhere near an NHL defenseman. The Clune - Gaustad - Hendricks line has been one of the best in camp and could stick together, but I see the possibility of Spaling on the wing pending the opponent. Bartley is in the top 6 on D. I don't see Nystrom starting on that line because the three of them together cannot create plays for one another. Fisher needs someone who will feed him the puck to shoot and Hornqvist needs shots at the net. Nystrom cannot play the role to support Fisher and Hornqvist.

These lines are simply training camp lines and in a few cases possibilities being floated out there to see what sticks - like Wilson - Cullen - Stalberg, Hendricks - Gaustad - Clune, and Jones on the left side on D. But don't put too much stock into them until they come back from Florida next weekend.

Old
09-14-2013, 07:25 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Hey, I never assume anything until they drop the puck for the first game. At one time, we all thought Jan Lasak was the goaltender of the future for the Preds - and then he was gone after training camp.

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 07:48 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
No way in hell Josi is being replaced by Ellis on the top line.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote