HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Who should play with Couturier and Read?

View Poll Results: Who should play with Couturier and Read?
Gagne 13 11.40%
Laughton 28 24.56%
McGinn 30 26.32%
Noebels 0 0%
Raffl 28 24.56%
Straka 2 1.75%
Talbot 6 5.26%
Other 7 6.14%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-12-2013, 09:44 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Simmonds is still turn over prone..he needs to cut those down especially since Briere is not around to not make him look as bad.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 10:36 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Really rooting for Raffl to make the big club. Not overly impressed with McGinn.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 12:28 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Lol at you guys thinking McGinn will be a solid NHL contributor for a full season, not a chance. I want Raffl to make it but I don't think he's really suited for a bottom 6 line, he seems like a top 6 or bust guy. Laughton is the best option IMO.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 02:08 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenbergg View Post
Lol at you guys thinking McGinn will be a solid NHL contributor for a full season, not a chance. I want Raffl to make it but I don't think he's really suited for a bottom 6 line, he seems like a top 6 or bust guy. Laughton is the best option IMO.
I'll go ahead and speculate that in order of the best overall player right now...

1. Laughton
2. McGinn
3. Raffl
4. Noebels
5. Straka
6. Cousins

I'm not including regulars like Gagne and Talbot of course.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 03:47 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
I'll go ahead and speculate that in order of the best overall player right now...

1. Laughton
2. McGinn
3. Raffl
4. Noebels
5. Straka
6. Cousins

That ship has sailed. I think Laughton is number 2. If Raffl can impress and do what is needed I think he slides in. I can't wait to see who is in there.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 04:04 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
I think it will be McGinn. Not sure if his offense is going to be good enough though.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 04:29 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I think Tye is going to be a dark horse this season. He has steadily improved in each of his professional years. This is a contract year for him. He will be looking to beat out a skilled but defensively inept Straka, A rookie in Laughton who can be sent back to juniors and Raffl, a guy with no NHL experience.

I think he has a good shot at sticking around for a while.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 05:16 AM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

Hmmmm... maybe we did need Cleary??

OzFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 05:28 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Mcginn's Corsi was best on the team for forwards last year.... I think it's him that will get the nod.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 06:40 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:

1. Laughton
2. McGinn
3. Raffl
4. Noebels
5. Straka
6. Cousins

I would argue that Cousins is a better overall player then Straka right now. And why no love for Akeson?

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 07:23 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Mcginn's Corsi was best on the team for forwards last year.... I think it's him that will get the nod.
I worry that the flyers don't seem to take into account advanced statistics.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 08:31 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Simmer is fine defensively and if playing with Couturier they'd still end up being our best defensive line
Saying that Simmonds is fine doesn't actually make it the case. His Corsi Rel QoC was 20th on the team last season. Worse than every forward not named Briere, Rinaldo, and McGinn.

Those saying McGinn need to realize that Tye played extraordinarily sheltered minutes in terms of QoC, zone starts %, etc. His Corsi is impressive until you factor in the QoC, etc, then it looks poor actually.

If the Flyers want the most balaned two-way line they can have, this spot most likely need to go to Laughton or Gagne, unless McGinn or Noebels have a huge camp, which woudl be great.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 08:45 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Saying that Simmonds is fine doesn't actually make it the case. His Corsi Rel QoC was 20th on the team last season. Worse than every forward not named Briere, Rinaldo, and McGinn.

Those saying McGinn need to realize that Tye played extraordinarily sheltered minutes in terms of QoC, zone starts %, etc. His Corsi is impressive until you factor in the QoC, etc, then it looks poor actually.

If the Flyers want the most balaned two-way line they can have, this spot most likely need to go to Laughton or Gagne, unless McGinn or Noebels have a huge camp, which woudl be great.
Well let's hope McGinn will have a good camp and can improve upon his corsi. He seems best suited on that line because he likes to get his nose dirty. I like Laughton too and I know he wants to prove he deserves the spot and would seem as the most likely candidate to win it but it just seems he's headed back. Either way I like the competition. Sounds like Raffl is similar to what Gagne would have offered although he sounds pretty good from what Lavi has described.

Old
09-13-2013, 08:54 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Well let's hope McGinn will have a good camp and can improve upon his corsi. He seems best suited on that line because he likes to get his nose dirty. I like Laughton too and I know he wants to prove he deserves the spot and would seem as the most likely candidate to win it but it just seems he's headed back. Either way I like the competition. Sounds like Raffl is similar to what Gagne would have offered although he sounds pretty good from what Lavi has described.
Despite what people say I do think currently the spot is between Raffl and McGinn. Now it depends on who you want there. Big guy who gets in front of the net and nose dirty or two-way pker who scores but plays good defense.

If Raffl could assimilate he, I think, would be the best fit for that line.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 08:56 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
I keep forgetting Jay ****ing Rosehill is on this team.
He's the 13th forward who may get some time on the fourth line in an injury or slump situation. Who would you prefer there? 13th forwards aren't going to be good players...that's why they are 13th forwards.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 08:56 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Despite what people say I do think currently the spot is between Raffl and McGinn. Now it depends on who you want there. Big guy who gets in front of the net and nose dirty or two-way pker who scores but plays good defense.

If Raffl could assimilate he, I think, would be the best fit for that line.
Yeah it kind of sounds like it...I'm interested in seeing Raffl and how he does. Sounds like Andreas NoGoal but with some actual offensive upside because of his supposed hard shot..unlike NoGoal.

Old
09-13-2013, 09:03 AM
Fragmuffin

During his rookie season Couts played the most with Talbott, it was also the season in which they both "overperformed", i honestly think that Max is good enough to be that 3rd line winger for Couts and Read and that keeping him in the 4th would be a waste of his talent.

Talbott-Couts-Read
Mcginn-Hall-Rinaldo would be my choice

Mcginn adds size and toughness while being much more usefull than Rosehill who also adds the two, Hall is a must as far as the 4th line center position goes in my book.

Fragmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 09:04 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Interesting take by Bill in today's blog post about Laughton....

Quote:
Apart from his skills and hockey smarts, Laughton carries himself like a player who "gets it" in terms of his preparation and learning curve. He isn't loud or boisterous -- not a a colorful quote -- but the self-confidence he possesses is very obvious. He looks you in the eye when he talks and he does not seem to get overwhelmed by anything.

Laughton has pretty much exclusively played center during his midget and junior hockey careers. Right now, there is a spot to be won at the Flyers' third-line left wing spot. It will be interesting to see if the team takes a look at him as a winger in preseason games. I also don't think Adam Hall's ffourth-line spot on the NHL team is a mortal lock, though the odds are currently in the veteran's favor. Even so, it is not totally out of the realm of possibility that Laughton could simply outplay Hall in camp and come away with an NHL job.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...pment/45/53923

Old
09-13-2013, 09:09 AM
Broad Street Elite

As usual, I agree with Bill. Adam Hall just isn't a player that screams "guaranteed a job" to me. I like his abilities in the circle and he certainly played well for us last year.... just as Leighton did when he came over on waivers. Let that last part sink in for a second.

As I've stated before, this is all about letting half a dozen guys compete for a spot. I think each guy brings something a little different to the table and will get an opportunity in camp to prove what he brings to the team.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 09:17 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
As usual, I agree with Bill. Adam Hall just isn't a player that screams "guaranteed a job" to me. I like his abilities in the circle and he certainly played well for us last year.... just as Leighton did when he came over on waivers. Let that last part sink in for a second.
I was saying it a few weeks ago & got blasted for it on here. I like the guy but there's a reason he was waived multiple times last year & only signed for $600K this offseason. He's just another body & in no way a threat to Laughton making the team or not, hell he's probably an insurance policy in case Laughton doesn't impress the Flyers brass enough if anything.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 09:18 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I don't see what would be so horrible about giving a line of Talbot, Laughton, Rinaldo 8 or so minutes a night. When an injury happens (like game or 2 most likely) you move Laughton up and throw Hall out there on the 4th line. I'm spitballing, but I don't see where that would hurt.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Fragmuffin

The problem i have with Laughton playing in the 4th over Hall, is just that... Laughton playing in the 4th, i'd like for the kid to get a better spot rather than grinding it out for 6-7 minutes with guys like rinaldo,rosehill,hall(if put on the wing),mcgin etc. The bottom line has specific duties (especialy the center position), and i think that Laughton should not be handed these. And jet i am also not a fan of seeing players being forced to play unnatural positions (Laughton on wing) and it seems as we have one too many of those examples.
I also doubt that the kid is a petter PKer, FOman than Hall, and there was talk of bulking up the bottom line right?

Fragmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 10:03 AM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Quote:
I'm curious though...

McGinn - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Lecavalier - Simmonds
Hartnell - Couturier - Read
Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot

Everyone who Hartnell plays with gets a boost, but Giroux and Voracek certainly don't need that boost anymore. McGinn can theoretically replace Hartnell as a meaner, less offensive version while still being effective on the top line. Hartnell gets to play with Couturier and Read.

Boom. Potentially three semi-balanced scoring lines.

Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot becomes your shut-down / defensive zone draw line.
Agree 100%. Mainly simmer on second line and harts with cooter and read. Lots of talent grit and finish on top three lines.

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 07:09 PM
flyersfan28

laughton-couturier-mcginn
trade read and talbot?

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 07:28 PM
flyersfan28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
He's the 13th forward who may get some time on the fourth line in an injury or slump situation. Who would you prefer there? 13th forwards aren't going to be good players...that's why they are 13th forwards.
i think rosehill play 55 games this years
why they trade for him 1 day after the voracek fight

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote