HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread IV: Top-6 Center Stop Gaps? Super Heavyweights?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-12-2013, 01:27 PM
  #401
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,140
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
As long as goaltending doesn't let them down they could well win it all.
Even if their goaltending does, they've got Allen who could step in

The Nuge is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 01:28 PM
  #402
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,609
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
As long as goaltending doesn't let them down they could well win it all.
I'm sure they'll be competing with Chicago for top spot.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 01:47 PM
  #403
SchultzSquared
Registered User
 
SchultzSquared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,861
vCash: 500
I am one who is hoping the Hall experiment sticks... we go from bad C depth to all conference...

Perron-Hall-Eberle
?-RNH-Yakupov
Smyth-Gagner-Hemsky
Joensuu-Gordon-Jones

Obviously LW is concerning... but that is easier to fix than this crap of having to trying Smyths and Joensuus on the top line when one of two Cs goes down

Long term with D flush with kids now... left side will need to be the focuss... can we fetch a LW from somewhere for scraps? Camps will decide lots... couple teams need to shave a bit of cap and we can jig things around... Kulemin Laich Abdelkader could all be on the block and fill that hole... like Kuli myself but he will cost a bit even with Leafs cap crunch (Marincin, 2015 2nd, Musil)

SchultzSquared is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 01:54 PM
  #404
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Let's hope that Holland thinks so because we could use Tootoo more than Potter right now.
You can tell how valuable guys like Tootoo are by how they are deployed in the playoffs.

Moose Coleman is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 02:28 PM
  #405
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,589
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
You can tell how valuable guys like Tootoo are by how they are deployed in the playoffs.
We need to get there first. And Boston seems to have no problem using Shawn Thornton during their past few years of success.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 02:29 PM
  #406
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,589
vCash: 400
Hainsey 1 year 2mil to Canes.

They are probably better off with him than Pitkanen.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 02:29 PM
  #407
nhlisajoke
Registered User
 
nhlisajoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 538
vCash: 500
Carolina Hurricanes‏@NHLCanes4m
NEWS: #Canes agree to terms with defenseman Ron Hainsey on one-year contract. Details: http://*******/14JJiKD

TOLD YOU GUYS

nhlisajoke is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 02:45 PM
  #408
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,589
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlisajoke View Post
Carolina Hurricanes‏@NHLCanes4m
NEWS: #Canes agree to terms with defenseman Ron Hainsey on one-year contract. Details: http://*******/14JJiKD

TOLD YOU GUYS
In the past month there have been numerous people talk about this.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 02:57 PM
  #409
RisingSun
Punky's Whips
 
RisingSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,696
vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
I am one who is hoping the Hall experiment sticks... we go from bad C depth to all conference...

Perron-Hall-Eberle
?-RNH-Yakupov
Smyth-Gagner-Hemsky
Joensuu-Gordon-Jones

Obviously LW is concerning... but that is easier to fix than this crap of having to trying Smyths and Joensuus on the top line when one of two Cs goes down

Long term with D flush with kids now... left side will need to be the focuss... can we fetch a LW from somewhere for scraps? Camps will decide lots... couple teams need to shave a bit of cap and we can jig things around... Kulemin Laich Abdelkader could all be on the block and fill that hole... like Kuli myself but he will cost a bit even with Leafs cap crunch (Marincin, 2015 2nd, Musil)
That would be really nice.

I'm a full supporter of Nurse and I still stick to my opinion that it was a good idea to draft him.....but I have to admit with those lines, Nichushkin would look really nice on that left side.

RisingSun is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 03:18 PM
  #410
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
We need to get there first.
Sure and a guy like Tootoo helps...how?

Quote:
And Boston seems to have no problem using Shawn Thornton during their past few years of success.
Are you suggesting they'd be any less successful if they had someone else playing those 7 minutes a night? Because I'm pretty sure they'd be ok.

Moose Coleman is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 03:22 PM
  #411
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,589
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Sure and a guy like Tootoo helps...how?



Are you suggesting they'd be any less successful if they had someone else playing those 7 minutes a night? Because I'm pretty sure they'd be ok.
So if Thorton doesn't add or subtract, why does it matter who we have on our 4th line?

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 03:47 PM
  #412
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,140
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Are you suggesting they'd be any less successful if they had someone else playing those 7 minutes a night? Because I'm pretty sure they'd be ok.
Disagree. Put say SMac there, and suddenly that line loses a major part of its ability to take a regular shift. The reason that line is so good is you can put them out there under the expectation that the other team won't be able to score. Most teams are just hoping that the other team doesn't light up their 4th line too badly

The Nuge is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 04:50 PM
  #413
ManofSteel55
Registered User
 
ManofSteel55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
We need to get there first. And Boston seems to have no problem using Shawn Thornton during their past few years of success.
Shawn Thornton and Jordin Tootoo are very different players. Thornton can play a regular 4th line shift and be a deterrent, wheras Tootoo is a bit of a liability and headhunts for big hits.

ManofSteel55 is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 06:55 PM
  #414
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
Paying Off A Bet
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
You can tell how valuable guys like Tootoo are by how they are deployed in the playoffs.
Yeah because Corey Potter would be a top 4 defenseman on a Cup contender right?

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 06:56 PM
  #415
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
Paying Off A Bet
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Even if their goaltending does, they've got Allen who could step in
Goaltending as a whole, a team that stacked will go far unless their goaltending craps the bed is my point.

Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 10:23 PM
  #416
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Pretty sure that group puts you a fair bit over the cap. Smyth is a 35+ contract. Unless someone picks him up you are stuck with his cap hit.
Then waive Nick Schultz as well and we no longer have to deal with having 8 dmen on the roster.

Trafalgar Law is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 10:25 PM
  #417
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,140
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Goaltending as a whole, a team that stacked will go far unless their goaltending craps the bed is my point.
It's just not very likely when you've got 3 good goalies

The Nuge is offline  
Old
09-12-2013, 10:33 PM
  #418
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
Paying Off A Bet
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
It's just not very likely when you've got 3 good goalies
Have any of them carried a team to the Cup or the Cup Finals? Again my point is that as long as they get good goaltending they can beat anybody, but with average goaltending they probably can't. The whole team is stacked, but goaltending is still the ? IMO.

Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
09-13-2013, 02:11 AM
  #419
skorf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Have any of them carried a team to the Cup or the Cup Finals? Again my point is that as long as they get good goaltending they can beat anybody, but with average goaltending they probably can't. The whole team is stacked, but goaltending is still the ? IMO.
Halak had the one real good year with Montreal in the playoffs and has had some good games for St. Louis as well... Elliot wasn't the reason that the Blues lost to the Kings this year.

The blues just need someone to step up and be that go to scorer... 10 goals in 6 games won't cut it, they need that one guy who can be a regular contributor and give them a goal when they need it... all the best teams have someone that they can rely on. Though maybe it's a bit unfair of an assessment since they did have to go against Quick, the blues needed a goal in several of those games and couldn't get one.

They got the best 3rd line in the league maybe 4th as well, a solid 2nd line, but a below average top line

skorf is offline  
Old
09-13-2013, 03:20 AM
  #420
Toydarian
Registered User
 
Toydarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorf View Post
Halak had the one real good year with Montreal in the playoffs and has had some good games for St. Louis as well... Elliot wasn't the reason that the Blues lost to the Kings this year.

The blues just need someone to step up and be that go to scorer... 10 goals in 6 games won't cut it, they need that one guy who can be a regular contributor and give them a goal when they need it... all the best teams have someone that they can rely on. Though maybe it's a bit unfair of an assessment since they did have to go against Quick, the blues needed a goal in several of those games and couldn't get one.

They got the best 3rd line in the league maybe 4th as well, a solid 2nd line, but a below average top line
Unfortunately, the only thing the Blues lack is the hardest thing in hockey to acquire: a no.1 offensive centre. I love Backes and think he is a great player, however if he were the top LW (playing alongside said no.1 centre) or no.2 centre the Blues would be the strongest team in the league from top to bottom.

Toydarian is offline  
Old
09-13-2013, 03:35 AM
  #421
Puritania
Skooma Addict
 
Puritania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,910
vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
STL is going to have a terrifyingly good top9.
I think Pajaarvi is going to flourish under Hitchcock. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy, so I hope he does well there.

Puritania is offline  
Old
09-13-2013, 08:39 AM
  #422
Moose Coleman
Registered User
 
Moose Coleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Disagree. Put say SMac there, and suddenly that line loses a major part of its ability to take a regular shift. The reason that line is so good is you can put them out there under the expectation that the other team won't be able to score. Most teams are just hoping that the other team doesn't light up their 4th line too badly
Fair enough, I meant someone of approximately equal ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Yeah because Corey Potter would be a top 4 defenseman on a Cup contender right?
Is that what I said? Potter is a serviceable bottom pairing defender with value on the PP. Tootoo has no game at all.

Moose Coleman is offline  
Old
09-13-2013, 08:43 AM
  #423
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,589
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Then waive Nick Schultz as well and we no longer have to deal with having 8 dmen on the roster.
Waiving guys making 3.5mil doesn't magically equal cap space.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
09-13-2013, 08:50 AM
  #424
harpoon
FOB
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OILSLICK94 View Post
Bouwmeester Pietrangelo
Leopold Shattenkirk
Jackman Polak
EX: Cole
If Pietrangelo doesn't start the season, can Whitney crack that lineup?

harpoon is offline  
Old
09-13-2013, 09:10 AM
  #425
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,589
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
If Pietrangelo doesn't start the season, can Whitney crack that lineup?
Probably. Unlike Edmonton, STL doesn't need him to play a top 4 position. He probably doesn't look that bad making less than 1mil playing a #6 role with some pp time.

joestevens29 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.