HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread Part 3: Eskies 3-9, I ain't even mad now

Closed Thread

Old
09-10-2013, 04:34 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallis View Post
So what if Rottier actually was a detriment to the team and having him on that O-line makes us considerably weaker? Now because our GM spouted off we're forced to have him in the lineup? Geezus...

I can't even...this team...
Forced to have him in the lineup? Probably more to do with the fact that they want to see him respond to being benched. Kinda like how when the Oilers benched Smyth and Whitney. Not sure how one can say he makes us considerably weaker either, kinda an exaggeration.

Old
09-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Valhallis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Forced to have him in the lineup? Probably more to do with the fact that they want to see him respond to being benched. Kinda like how when the Oilers benched Smyth and Whitney. Not sure how one can say he makes us considerably weaker either, kinda an exaggeration.
Sorry I meant more hypothetically, wasn't trying to single him out. I'm still not impressesd with him being called out by our GM in the first place. I'm glad he's being given an opportunity again. It's just crap the way that this has gone about.

Old
09-10-2013, 06:20 PM
GreatKeith

Old
09-11-2013, 10:18 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post

I agree. I don't know what to think about this organization anymore either.

Old
09-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

The basic trouble here is that Hervey and Reed are reactive individuals that have a lot of burning fire and desire.

The latter attributes lend themselves reasonably well on the football field. But why anybody would think such hotheads make good managers is beyond me. These are exactly the type individuals I would choose NOT to work for most every time.

People that can't control themselves in boardrooms can't, and shouldn't be running things in a company they don't own.

The Hervey statement, then retraction ends up being silly, because it indicates that Hervey acted out of hand, and was taken to task, and had to retract. Guess what happens to credibility when that happens.

Lets be clear here too. This is the one instance we all see. I think with confidence we can think that this nature of thing is going on behind doors quite a lot.

Old
09-11-2013, 01:47 PM
joestevens29

Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED 2m
DE Odell Willis, LB J.C. Sherritt, and S Donovan Alexander are all at practice taking first team reps with the defense. #Eskimos #CFL #yeg

Old
09-11-2013, 03:31 PM
joestevens29

Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED 11m
Reed says Hugh Charles should play Saturday. His touches won't decrease and he will be more involved in the passing game.

Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED 10m
Doesn't look like SB Cary Koch will play Saturday. Just a rest day for SB Fred Stamps. Should practice tomorrow. #Eskimos #CFL #yeg

Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED 9m
There is a FG competition going on in practice between Hugh O'Neill and Grant Shaw. Might be a change for Saturday. #Eskimos #CFL

Old
09-11-2013, 05:29 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED 11m
Reed says Hugh Charles should play Saturday. His touches won't decrease and he will be more involved in the passing game.

Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED 10m
Doesn't look like SB Cary Koch will play Saturday. Just a rest day for SB Fred Stamps. Should practice tomorrow. #Eskimos #CFL #yeg

There is a FG competition going on in practice between Hugh O'Neill and Grant Shaw. Might be a change for Saturday. #Eskimos #CFL
Just when things couldn't get stranger. Practice is not game day situation. This will not differentiate meaningfully.

Heres the deal. The Esks had Shaw doing the kicking. They decided to complicate by hiring O neill. Seemingly because they were dissatisfied with Shaws FG kicking. Now they're in a completely other ballpark because a FG kicker missed a couple kicks.

Back and forth it goes, where it stops, no one knows.

Does this team use a roulette wheel as a decision tree?

Old
09-11-2013, 05:32 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED 2m
DE Odell Willis, LB J.C. Sherritt, and S Donovan Alexander are all at practice taking first team reps with the defense. #Eskimos #CFL #yeg
well thats good at least... our defence has been atrocious lately, and having 3 starters back in certainly won't hurt

Old
09-11-2013, 05:35 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
well thats good at least... our defence has been atrocious lately, and having 3 starters back in certainly won't hurt
I think the defense has been better as of late, still not the as advertised that we heard about going into the year.

Old
09-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Six in O6

Quote:

This is weird to me because I feel that O'Neill's strong suits are punting and kickoffs, yet Shaw does those. I admit, he has been a great punter since we brought in some competition but O'Neill missing two field goals last week really hurt.

Old
09-11-2013, 06:55 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
This is weird to me because I feel that O'Neill's strong suits are punting and kickoffs, yet Shaw does those. I admit, he has been a great punter since we brought in some competition but O'Neill missing two field goals last week really hurt.
The problem I have with Shaw's punting, is the majority are just boots down the field. Haven't see too many times where he is trying to pin them inside the 10. Then again that really isn't his fault.

Just something I've noticed as he gets a good average, but is it really that hard when you have 100 yards of space and it doesn't matter where the ball really goes as long as it goes far?

Old
09-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The basic trouble here is that Hervey and Reed are reactive individuals that have a lot of burning fire and desire.

The latter attributes lend themselves reasonably well on the football field. But why anybody would think such hotheads make good managers is beyond me. These are exactly the type individuals I would choose NOT to work for most every time.

People that can't control themselves in boardrooms can't, and shouldn't be running things in a company they don't own.

The Hervey statement, then retraction ends up being silly, because it indicates that Hervey acted out of hand, and was taken to task, and had to retract. Guess what happens to credibility when that happens.

Lets be clear here too. This is the one instance we all see. I think with confidence we can think that this nature of thing is going on behind doors quite a lot.
See Kevin Lowe.

Old
09-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1300
Quote:
The problem I have with Shaw's punting, is the majority are just boots down the field. Haven't see too many times where he is trying to pin them inside the 10. Then again that really isn't his fault.

Just something I've noticed as he gets a good average, but is it really that hard when you have 100 yards of space and it doesn't matter where the ball really goes as long as it goes far?
there was a couple of times last game where it looked like Shaw tried to kick deep to the sidelines and just failed. So the issue could be his inability to do anything but kick straight forward.

Old
09-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Here's what needs to happen to crystalize the gongshow that is this season.

The Esks need to lose Reilly for the season to an injury (not a concussion) sustained from a hit that is a Direct Result of Simeon Rottier failing at being an OL, then get pumped hard by the Bombers. After that loss, the team sees Joseph named Starter, and he the team does not even get a sniff the rest of the years.

That would be Rock Bottom right there.

Old
09-12-2013, 10:17 AM
joestevens29

The good news is the draft is loaded with OL's early on this year.

Old
09-12-2013, 04:01 PM
joestevens29

Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED 21m
Winnipeg Blue Bombers announce that they will move back to the Western Division in 2014. Makes sense to me. #CFL

Old
09-13-2013, 02:08 AM
Six in O6

Quote:
Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED 21m
Winnipeg Blue Bombers announce that they will move back to the Western Division in 2014. Makes sense to me. #CFL
Opens the door for Quebec City or Atlantic Canada to get their **** together and balance out the conference with ten teams.

Old
09-13-2013, 02:19 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
Opens the door for Quebec City or Atlantic Canada to get their **** together and balance out the conference with ten teams.
Halifax please.

Old
09-13-2013, 09:41 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Halifax please.
yup.... halifax is the perfect choice... great fans, very fun city, has the appropriate population base and are already big supporters of college football.... just need that stadium now

Old
09-13-2013, 10:30 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
yup.... halifax is the perfect choice... great fans, very fun city, has the appropriate population base and are already big supporters of college football.... just need that stadium now
Moncton has always been on the radar as well. Thing with Moncton is because of its geography it actually has more of a potential regional draw than Halifax.

Halifax is the more exciting choice, and I prefer the city. But most people prefer Saskatoon over Regina as well.

The CFL has been high on Moncton for years and that should be the next move. I should mention that Halifax also has the competing distraction of several collegiate clubs in diferent sports and some sporting competition that would not be pronounced in the Moncton region.

Think about the bolded. Thats also a risk. Does longterm affiliation and support automatically shift? Like I say the College ball could be competition instead. Especially in that it represents more affordable product in a region that doesn't have the raging economy and disposable income of Alberta.

Last edited by Replacement: 09-13-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old
09-13-2013, 12:32 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Moncton has always been on the radar as well. Thing with Moncton is because of its geography it actually has more of a potential regional draw than Halifax.

Halifax is the more exciting choice, and I prefer the city. But most people prefer Saskatoon over Regina as well.

The CFL has been high on Moncton for years and that should be the next move. I should mention that Halifax also has the competing distraction of several collegiate clubs in diferent sports and some sporting competition that would not be pronounced in the Moncton region.

Think about the bolded. Thats also a risk. Does longterm affiliation and support automatically shift? Like I say the College ball could be competition instead. Especially in that it represents more affordable product in a region that doesn't have the raging economy and disposable income of Alberta.
i get what you are saying about the college teams being potential competition, but i think it really comes down to numbers

halifax has about 400,000 in its regional municipality ... moncton has 138k... even if you include fredericton (105k) and saint john (127k), the number still falls 30k short of what exists in halifax alone... sure you could argue that a bunch of halifax people will make the 2.5 hour drive to moncton to see the games, but i certainly wouldn't want to depend on that... i would much rather have the 400k in halifax, and hope the people from moncton are the ones making the drive

Old
09-13-2013, 01:11 PM
Six in O6

I think it will come down to whether the business community in Halifax or Moncton steps up. Neither really have the facilities for a CFL team at this point and it isn't going to come cheaply. There is a huge disparity between University stadiums and pro stadiums in Canada. I would also prefer Halifax since it is more of a destination, but they need the facility and they need to prove they can put the fans in the seats and sell out 20-25k ten times a year.

Old
09-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

[QUOTE]
Quote:
i get what you are saying about the college teams being potential competition, but i think it really comes down to numbers

halifax has about 400,000 in its regional municipality ... moncton has 138k... even if you include fredericton (105k) and saint john (127k),
You also need to include PEI. both Summerside, and Charlottetown are a short drive thanks to the confederation bridge. Plus that everybody in PEI is usually looking for something to do.

All of Paul McCartney, AC/DC, Stones, etc etc have played huge concerts in Moncton knowing well that there is a huge draw in that region and people with some disposable cash for entertainment. Surprisingly some of the biggest outdoor concerts in NA over the last dozen years have taken place in Moncton. So they can easily handle huge attendance for outdoor shows, or 20K ish for Football.

What makes Moncton area a better big ticket entertainment area than Halifax is the same as what makes Edmonton much better than Calgary. In Halifax and Calgary you have several distractions both entertainment and regional and a lot of people that have lots to do exploring beautiful Nova Scotia, the coast etc. Whereby in Calgary you have of course Kananaskis and Banff.

Sometimes the sleepier locations make much better sporting or entertainment ticket draws. This being the "Cleveland Rocks" type thinking. In the concert industry for instance its rarely lost on them which hard scrabble places make the most reliable stops on any tour. Edmonton being one of those. Moncton area is that kind of audience.

Quote:
the number still falls 30k short of what exists in halifax alone... sure you could argue that a bunch of halifax people will make the 2.5 hour drive to moncton to see the games, but i certainly wouldn't want to depend on that... i would much rather have the 400k in halifax, and hope the people from moncton are the ones making the drive
Could happen as well. Don't get me wrong, either location can work, and I used to default to the Halifax location automatically just like you did until people set me straight and pointed out the big entertainment draw the Moncton area is. Its a strange thing, but worth pointing out.

This backs up what I'm saying as well.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/st...l-moncton.html

tbh, attendance wise Moncton is probably less of an issue than Toronto or Ottawa will be. The multiple CFL games that have occurred in Moncton stadium have already been well recieved with all topping 20K. With pretty sound ticket pricing as well. Thats a decent gate and twice as much as Hamilton is getting. The stadium is decked out now at over 20K and expandable to 25 for CFL. Frankly the Stadium is much more used than Commonwealth and with several events that have, or are taking place. Moncton, like Edmonton, is also one of the hosts for the FiFA 2015 womens WC.

Last edited by Replacement: 09-13-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old
09-13-2013, 04:37 PM
joestevens29

Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED 1h
Bad news for WR Cary Koch. He has been placed on the 9-game injured list with a knee injury. #Eskimos #CFL #yeg

Closed Thread