HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No. 18 on Nov. 18

Old
11-17-2006, 08:57 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I guess we've talked about this before and I'm not going to make excuses for stupid, dangerous behaviour. I don't know, I've done a lot of stupid things myself, though many years ago, and I'm glad my whole life hasn't been defined by any of them. I know there's hypocrisy involved, and like you say, Lafleur and some others around the team today can be tarred with the same brush, though it was a different world then.

I can't argue the point of view, and whenever his name comes up his dui comes to mind, but I'm not ready to deny him the honors that he's earned.
My only additional comment to that is that in Savard's case, when it seems readily apparent that he's had his chances to repent, to put the stupid dangerous behaviour behind him and not have his life be defined by it... well, he just goes out and does it again, and really I don't know if there has been any further demonstration of conscience at play. This is of course ridiculously subjective and unsupportable, but I can't help feeling that Savard really has believed himself to be above the law, above the level of the average citizen in our society, which makes it doubly damning in my eye. There are kids (or even young adults like Lafleur) who just get crazy on the high life, and they aren't even thinking of the consequences, real life hasn't caught up with them in any way at all yet, and maybe that gives them an inch more leeway in my harsh judgementalism.

But Savard... well... it's not like he'll be denied his HOF honours or have any of his awards or Cup rings taken away from him. But I think there's a different level of franchise-identification involved with a jersey retirement, something that ties the player and everything he stood for to the image of the team eternally... (it's why in my mind a player like Koivu *could* have his jersey retired even if his on-ice achievements pale in comparison to many other candidates)... and I just wouldn't accept that permanent association with Savard if I owned the Habs. It's not really denying him an honour... it's just indicating that he failed to earn the honour with his behaviour.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 02:51 PM
BiggMac99

My next numbers...

1. Butch Bouchard (3)
2. Larry Robinson (19)
3. Patrick Roy (33)
4. Bob Gainey (23)

BiggMac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
OT - Savard ceremony

Hey guys,

Can someone who's digitally inclined record the ceremony on Saturday night? I won't be home til like 8:00 and I'm sure many many people here would be very appreciative!

If possible, it'd be amazing if it could be posted on Putfile so it's quality can be preserved...

any volunteers???

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 10:25 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
If Koivu can lead this team to a cup, after everything he's done...After everything he's been through (and it's not just the cancer), after everything he's given for this team...He deserves to be up there with the greats.
reading your post make me think that your too young to have ever seen the players that have their jersey retired . So , i can understand your blind love for Saku , because he's the better of what you have seen .

But he's very far to be a Richard , a Béliveau , a Lafleur or a Dryden . What you have to understand is that those players were not only given their best ,night after nigh as Koivu , but WERE THE BEST . Something Saku never was , and never will be .

You are talking about everything he's done...all the things he's been through , after everything he's given for this team...well , what are you talking about exactly ? Heart and soul of the team ? effort ? If the Habs would retire his jersey for that , they would have to retired 15-20 jersey before his one .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 07:03 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Tonight Montreal honours #18

This one seems to come at much better timing than the last number we retired. While I didn't like a couple decisions made by Mr. Savard as the team's GM, I have the utmost respect for him as a player. Despite never seeing him play, I've read a great deal about him.

Oh, and the Bell Centre boutique has a limited edition Savard t-shirt/jersey thing on sale for those going to the game tonight.

It should be a fun ceremony to be a part of.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 08:16 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
reading your post make me think that your too young to have ever seen the players that have their jersey retired . So , i can understand your blind love for Saku , because he's the better of what you have seen .

But he's very far to be a Richard , a Béliveau , a Lafleur or a Dryden . What you have to understand is that those players were not only given their best ,night after nigh as Koivu , but WERE THE BEST . Something Saku never was , and never will be .

You are talking about everything he's done...all the things he's been through , after everything he's given for this team...well , what are you talking about exactly ? Heart and soul of the team ? effort ? If the Habs would retire his jersey for that , they would have to retired 15-20 jersey before his one .
I won't debaye you on #11's merits. I admire the guy on a human level, and on a hockey level, despite obstacles, he's always found a way to get the best out of himself. We can define and argue but it doesn't change much.

One thing in your post made me want to comment though. I have a rough idea of your age, I believe you saw Henri Richard play, wouldn't you say there are many similarities between #11 and #16 ? Both were undersized players that were driven by intense pride. Both had tempers on the ice and wouldn't back down from any situation. The difference is the surrounding cast. Personally, I don't see #11 being raised to the rafters, though it has no effect on my opinion of him, #16 accomplished much more. Not even close, when you look at Henri's rings, but there are a lot of similarities. I'd love to ask him if he's ever thought that watching Koivu play.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 10:23 AM
GoodKiwi

Does this mean that I don't have to tune in onto the game until 7:30?

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 11:20 AM
baldrick

No wonder many posters are happy with an average team

I will be watching the ceremony with pride and respect for a great player.

baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Big night, i wish i could be there. Savard was so huge , no one could go at him

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 12:37 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post

Dude, you're ignoring everything I'm saying. I already said he wasn't as good as the old players of the past. But, winning a cup is different now. The game is different, you won't see the same team winning a cup over and over.

Saku is a special case. I said that IF HE CAN WIN A CUP, he deserves to be up there. After the cancer, after the career threatening injuries and after leading this team through it's darkest times, IF HE CAN LEAD THE TEAM TO A CUP, he deserves to be up there. He's a special case. There's nobody you can compare him to.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 07:36 PM
Stefan

Anyone?

Old
11-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Habs13

I have it on vhs... can put it onto a DVDR...

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 08:43 PM
Mike8

If you got home at 8pm, you just missed the end of it.

I like award ceremonies and all, but that was awfully long.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 09:25 PM
True_Canadiens

I'll put the video tribute on Youtube.

True_Canadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Canadiens View Post
I'll put the video tribute on Youtube.
Awesome, it'd be even more awesome if you could put it on a site like Putfile or a file server site so that the quality doesn't get destroyed. But either way, thanks! Let us know when you post it!

Old
11-18-2006, 09:45 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
If you got home at 8pm, you just missed the end of it.

I like award ceremonies and all, but that was awfully long.
Yeah no kidding. It was painfully long.

11-18-2006, 09:51 PM
True_Canadiens

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WajI5Eg8iMg
Its just the video tribute and the sounds sucks (RDS). Can someone tell me the name of the very first song?

Old
11-18-2006, 09:53 PM
True_Canadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
Yeah no kidding. It was painfully long.
Agree. The Geoffrion ceremony was... 100 times bettre imo

Old
11-18-2006, 11:22 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Did they show the national anthem on TV? That was pretty special to have the video recording of Roger Doucet tonight; I believe the only other time they did that was during the last game at the forum. I would love to get my hands on a copy!

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 01:30 AM
PaulPosition

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Canadiens View Post
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WajI5Eg8iMg
Its just the video tribute and the sounds sucks (RDS). Can someone tell me the name of the very first song?
Bitter Sweet Symphony. Don't remember the band's name though.

PaulPosition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 02:39 AM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulPosition View Post
Bitter Sweet Symphony. Don't remember the band's name though.
the Verve

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 05:51 AM
lilooet*

I loved the two plants on the ice beside the podium. I guess they thought it would make a 21,000 seat stadium seem more cozy.

Personally, I didn't think the ceremony was too long. I love stuff like that and wish there was more of it. Those of you complaining should think of how fortunate we are as Habs fans and consider what a hardcore Tampa, Anaheim or even LA fan would give to be lucky enough to have even one or two of such ceremonies each decade. Just my opinion.

lilooet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 09:28 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I won't debaye you on #11's merits. I admire the guy on a human level, and on a hockey level, despite obstacles, he's always found a way to get the best out of himself. We can define and argue but it doesn't change much.

One thing in your post made me want to comment though. I have a rough idea of your age, I believe you saw Henri Richard play, wouldn't you say there are many similarities between #11 and #16 ? Both were undersized players that were driven by intense pride. Both had tempers on the ice and wouldn't back down from any situation. The difference is the surrounding cast. Personally, I don't see #11 being raised to the rafters, though it has no effect on my opinion of him, #16 accomplished much more. Not even close, when you look at Henri's rings, but there are a lot of similarities. I'd love to ask him if he's ever thought that watching Koivu play.
I agree with you about Henry Richard . He was a true warrior , but not a player that was dominating the game as the other ones . For sure , Henry's rings have a lot to do with the fact that he has his jersey retired .

I also like the link you make ; it's true that there are similarities with his game and the one of Saku .

Richard was with the right team at the right moment , and that's why his career was so bright . But honestly , when they retired his jersey , i was thinking that Henry was reward a bit in the name of all the Habs cores that won those 8 cups .As a symbole of those wining teams . And for his 20 years career with the Habs .

Saku was with the bad team at a wrong moment for the big part of his career . He's more link to the " dark period of the Habs " .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 09:33 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilooet View Post
I loved the two plants on the ice beside the podium. I guess they thought it would make a 21,000 seat stadium seem more cozy.

Personally, I didn't think the ceremony was too long. I love stuff like that and wish there was more of it. Those of you complaining should think of how fortunate we are as Habs fans and consider what a hardcore Tampa, Anaheim or even LA fan would give to be lucky enough to have even one or two of such ceremonies each decade. Just my opinion.
Ceremonies like that make me remember one thing, that it is a privilege to be a part of this team. The Habs are not the Atlanta Trashers, Tampa Bay Lightning, Phoenix Coyotes of the NHL. I don't care if we are a team finishing 5th and 6th every year, to be in that dressing room and call that building your home, look up and see the banners up there... Guy Lafleur, The Rocket, Ken Dryden, Jean Beliveau, etc.. and see this guys hang around the team, you know what Shanahan, you can go ahead and go to the Rangers and end your career there. If you are an NHL player and the media scares you or the french culture worries you and you don't realize how lucky you would be to put on that uniform, then you know what, we don't want you here, go somewhere else.

Also, as I was watching the ceremony last night and watching Serge's career, specially his two breaks on the same leg, I realized that Serge was the one that drafted Saku and how proud Serge must be of Saku and all he has overcome. Regardless of if he wins a Stanley Cup here or not, we've been lucky to have a guy like Saku as our captain all these years and I bet it makes Serge very proud.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 09:49 AM
True_Canadiens

Thx guys