HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Simon Gagne- Update 10/15/14: Signs 1 year deal with the Bruins.

Old
09-12-2013, 10:13 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Like a slap in the face he says...told you all he dislikes physical
contact....

But seriously it kind of was but I'm still glad Holmgren and co.didn't show deference and made a good business decision. Gagne shouldnt feel a sense of entitlement. They brought him back last year already and gave him a chance..he didnt necessarily seize it. He is a good player and I appreciate his service and sense of loyalty to the team but he was never the best option given his style of play at this point in his career...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 10:32 PM
bennysflyers16

That Gagne interview sure sounds like Hexy stepped in and told Holmer to walk away from Gags. Got to trust him on this too as he prob knows Gags best right now. Let the kids fight for that 3 rd line spot, and i love Gags.

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 10:37 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
That Gagne interview sure sounds like Hexy stepped in and told Holmer to walk away from Gags. Got to trust him on this too as he prob knows Gags best right now. Let the kids fight for that 3 rd line spot, and i love Gags.
Seems like it..and it's a necessary change. The recycling and family loyalty thing needs to be tempered a bit more. Hopefully, Hextall continues to approach things from an outside perspective..

Old
09-12-2013, 10:42 PM
Tripod

While being a fan of Gags, I 100% believe that there needs to be an open roster spot for players to shoot for. Why have them already knowing they won't make the team. Let that spot open. Worst case scenario is that Talbot fills in.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 10:47 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
While being a fan of Gags, I 100% believe that there needs to be an open roster spot for players to shoot for. Why have them already knowing they won't make the team. Let that spot open. Worst case scenario is that Talbot fills in.
Totally. It's basic business. It is not good for morale and corporate culture from a development standpoint when you limit opportunities for upward mobility.

Old
09-12-2013, 11:08 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Totally. It's basic business. It is not good for morale and corporate culture from a development standpoint when you limit opportunities for upward mobility.
There are always injuries, so it's not like there wouldn't be chances for younger players to step in. I wanted to see Gagne signed, but if they can find someone better, that's fine. I think they could use a defensively responsible forward with a little offensive skill. I mean, if this was another organization that was okay with building little by little towards the ultimate goal it would be one thing. But the Flyers are clearly going all in, every year. They should put the best possible team together.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 11:31 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Would you prefer an actual job offer or work for a temp agency? How fulfilling is that? You work hard for a goal your whole life and you want to be rewarded with something more tangible and a bit more secure. Motivates you further..nobody likes to be a placeholder for somebody else.

Old
09-13-2013, 12:32 AM
zarley zelepukin

I'm sure the young players would prefer to have the job, but that's not how sports work. Winning is the first order of business, especially for a team like the Flyers. The young guys will get their full-time shot if they play well enough and I think that's plenty of motivation.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 12:48 AM
OgbertTheNerd
what

I think I've said this 10 times already, but if Holmgren doesn't want to re-sign Gagne and instead go with one of the younger guys, that's fine. But it baffles me why he would think Cleary would've been a better option.

Also, why is everyone so convinced that Hextall's right about this? The Kings and the Flyers play two different styles of hockey; just because Gagne didn't work out for LA doesn't mean he can't be effective anywhere else.

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 12:54 AM
BackWithaVengeance

If Gagne signs with the Canadiens, do they become the Flyers own "rest home"?

I mean Briere, Gagne ... Bryz is still available.

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 03:08 AM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevD10 View Post
Also, why is everyone so convinced that Hextall's right about this? The Kings and the Flyers play two different styles of hockey; just because Gagne didn't work out for LA doesn't mean he can't be effective anywhere else.
Gagne didn't work here either. Look at the advanced stats.

Stizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 09:58 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Well Paul Holmgren disagrees with you.

Source: Sarah Baicker @sbaickerCSN
Just saying don't be surprised if you see Gagne in a Flyers uniform this year. Homer says one thing and does another, that's how he operates

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 10:03 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Just saying don't be surprised if you see Gagne in a Flyers uniform this year. Homer says one thing and does another, that's how he operates
In most cases sure but I believe him here, plus according to that other article CSKA posted Gagne's agent confirmed the Flyers aren't interested anymore in his services. The Gagne era is over, some of you guys need to let it go already.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 10:08 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
In most cases sure but I believe him here, plus according to that other article CSKA posted Gagne's agent confirmed the Flyers aren't interested anymore in his services. The Gagne era is over, some of you guys need to let it go already.
Seriously.....plus Gagne got beyotch slapped when the Flyers went after Cleary..his words supposedly. Put a fork in him ..he won't be recycled a 3rd time. Bryz could come back before Gagne does

Old
09-13-2013, 11:06 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
I find myself often agreeing with your posts, DFF. I feel the same way about this situation with Gagne.
At least someone out there appreciates my brilliant insights!

You're new though...in a little while you'll learn that I am usually on the losing side of HFBoards arguments. Haha.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 11:11 AM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
At least someone out there appreciates my brilliant insights!

You're new though...in a little while you'll learn that I am usually on the losing side of HFBoards arguments. Haha.
Haha. While I did just start posting, I've been lurking since 2010. You're usually right on the money with your posts, in my opinion.

Anyway, farewell to Gagne. Hope he finds a team that's not a division rival, like the Devils or Pens.

Also, DFF, you have a very underaprreciated avatar. Brilliant!

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Haha. While I did just start posting, I've been lurking since 2010. You're usually right on the money with your posts, in my opinion.

Anyway, farewell to Gagne. Hope he finds a team that's not a division rival, like the Devils or Pens.
I'm sure the Pens will be calling. They sent Crosby to try and persuade Cleary to come to Pitt, so they are looking for vet wingers.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 11:36 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Haha. You're usually right on the money with your posts, in my opinion.
Emphasis added ....

Gagne should get a job but there are a lot of decent players still looking for work. New CBA is not kind to players that are becoming journeymen types despite Gagne's young age. Ask Leighton who DFF was always so right about apparently

Old
09-13-2013, 12:09 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:

I can't take credit for the avatar. It was part of losing an avatar bet a couple years ago (I think with Bruins fans). I actually liked it so I kept it.

Quote:
Emphasis added ....
:-/

Quote:
Gagne should get a job but there are a lot of decent players still looking for work. New CBA is not kind to players that are becoming journeymen types despite Gagne's young age. Ask Leighton who DFF was always so right about apparently
I <3 Leighton and always will.

Old
09-13-2013, 01:16 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I can't take credit for the avatar. It was part of losing an avatar bet a couple years ago (I think with Bruins fans). I actually liked it so I kept it.

:-/

I <3 Leighton and always will.
So wait..even though you later admitted,after it became painfully obvious of course, that Leighton was not even NHL backup material ..you still endorse him? Yikes..

Old
09-13-2013, 01:30 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
So wait..even though you later admitted,after it became painfully obvious of course, that Leighton was not even NHL backup material ..you still endorse him? Yikes..
Haha, I didn't say endorse him. I was very clearly, painfully wrong about him. I still love him though. If I had it on my computer still, I would post that picture of him with a puppy to make everyone else fall in love with him all over again. Maybe someone can help me out because that picture appears to have disappeared from my computer and the internet.

Old
09-13-2013, 01:42 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Haha, I didn't say endorse him. I was very clearly, painfully wrong about him. I still love him though. If I had it on my computer still, I would post that picture of him with a puppy to make everyone else fall in love with him all over again. Maybe someone can help me out because that picture appears to have disappeared from my computer and the internet.
How can anybody still love the Mitch Williams of the Flyers?? The reason that puppy pic doesn't exist is because even puppies are conditional when it comes to Leighton. They all want to bite him and suffocate him with their floppy ears for what he did in the Finals and afterwards!

Old
09-13-2013, 03:17 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
How can anybody still love the Mitch Williams of the Flyers?? The reason that puppy pic doesn't exist is because even puppies are conditional when it comes to Leighton. They all want to bite him and suffocate him with their floppy ears for what he did in the Finals and afterwards!
Haha, this sounds an awful lot like we are headed down the "Michael Leighton was not the reason the Flyers lost the Cup" argument that I have engaged in so many times before. Let's agree to not go down this road any further, especially in a Simon Gagne thread.

Old
09-13-2013, 03:22 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

He should save puppies, b/c he CAN'T stop a puck.

I'm glad his gone from this team, prolly a nice guy and all, awesome, good for him - horrible goalkeeper.

EDIT:
I am glad now the Gagne ship has sailed. I can't wait for someone to step up and prove they belong, it's not like we don't have the bodies to do that.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 05:06 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
People still like Mitch Williams though.

I doubt Hextall threw Gagne under the bus. They were going to sign Cleary to a 3-year deal for many of the same reasons they were going to sign Gagne to whatever they could afford. I think it's more Holmgren, and I think Holmgren and Gagne don't like each other. Gagne admitted the mistake was made in putting all the eggs in the Flyers basket, after all, Lavy started putting Gagne on the 4th line later in the season. He should go play for the Islanders or Canucks, I think.

Last edited by GKJ: 09-13-2013 at 05:12 PM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote