HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

2013-2014 Roster Discussion II

Closed Thread

Old
09-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

vCash: 500
How quickly people forget how good TT was in the playoffs, he was making things happen against good teams as a 20 year old.

Depth? LOL. The Kings bottom lines were horrific last year. Going to be tons of pressure on the top 6 again this season because the Kings are going to be getting nothing from the bottom 6 with the way the lineup looks now.

Lewis, Stoll, Clifford, King, Carcillo, Nolan, Fraser, a very uninspiring group of bottom six players, god forbid mixing in someone with any kind of finishing ability into that group.

Old
09-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Johnny Utah

It's not a joke if TT doesn't make it, it's a numbers game.

Part of the reason TT got the call last year was because Penner had another crappy regular season and King struggled.

Now, the Kings added Frattin and Carcillo. Frattin replaces Penner and Carcillo looks to have a spot on the 4th line, which now puts Clifford battling King for a 3rd line LW. Lewis is a fixture on the 3rd line RW and Nolan is a perfect fit for a 4th line RW.

Old
09-13-2013, 01:32 PM
McSorley 33

I agree that TT not making the team doesn't make sense...he's to good not too.

Old
09-13-2013, 01:45 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
It's not a joke if TT doesn't make it, it's a numbers game.

Part of the reason TT got the call last year was because Penner had another crappy regular season and King struggled.

Now, the Kings added Frattin and Carcillo. Frattin replaces Penner and Carcillo looks to have a spot on the 4th line, which now puts Clifford battling King for a 3rd line LW. Lewis is a fixture on the 3rd line RW and Nolan is a perfect fit for a 4th line RW.
You're just making things up. Penner's regular season is a non-factor because he's known for turning it up in the playoffs. And to suggest that TT was called up to replace Penner and King who are both LW is just utter nonsense.

Old
09-13-2013, 01:46 PM
Johnny Utah

I think Mitchell' injury will cost TT his spot because the King will opt to keep 8D, which leaves only 1 spare forward.

Teams can only carry 3 extra players.

Brown-Kopitar-Williams
Frattin-Richards-Carter
King-Stoll-Lewis
Clifford-Fraser-Nolan

Extra: Carcillo

Regerhr-Doughty
Mitchell-Voynov
Greene-Muzzin

Extra: Martinez, Ellerby

Old
09-13-2013, 01:47 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1963 View Post
You're just making things up. Penner's regular season is a non-factor because he's known for turning it up in the playoffs. And to suggest that TT was called up to replace Penner and King who are both LW is just utter nonsense.
TT was called up to replace the lack of scoring. Carter tore it up last year but none of the bottom 6 forwards were putting any points on the board. Add Penner to that list and that makes 7 struggling forwards.

Kings are deep at RW with Williams, Carter, Lewis and Nolan...plus Brown and Frattin can both play RW.

At LW, Brown, King, Frattin, Clifford and Carcillo.

Old
09-13-2013, 01:52 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
TT was called up to replace the lack of scoring. Carter tore it up last year but none of the bottom 6 forwards were putting any points on the board. Add Penner to that list and that makes 7 struggling forwards.

Kings are deep at RW wit Williams, Carter, Lewis and Nolan...plus Brown and Frattin can both play RW.

At LW, Brown, King, Frattin, Clifford and Carcillo.
From my recollection, TT was being rewarded for his play and that's why he was called up. Could TT add scoring? Sure. But you're making it sound as if it's a matter of fact that TT was called up to replace King and Penner which he wasn't.

Last edited by The Black1963: 09-13-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old
09-13-2013, 01:55 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
TT was called up to replace the lack of scoring. Carter tore it up last year but none of the bottom 6 forwards were putting any points on the board..
And how is that going to be any different this year? The bottom six is still made up of the same group of tungsten hands from last year, Stoll, Lewis, King, Clifford etc.

Do you know how many ES goals the Kings got from the bottom six in three playoff rounds last year?

Old
09-13-2013, 01:55 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Carcillo is the new Brad Richardson, he'll be a healthy scratch for most nights and is versatile enough to be plugged in anywhere in the lineup for spot duty.

I think the competition on the fourth line will determine where exactly Toffoli fits into the lineup. Not suggesting he will end up on the fourth line, but if the Kings feel that Lewis could slide into a fourth line role as a center or winger, then it opens up the possibility for Toffoli to add a scoring punch to the third line with Stoll and whoever else wins the LW spot on that line.

Old
09-13-2013, 01:58 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Carcillo is the new Brad Richardson, he'll be a healthy scratch for most nights and is versatile enough to be plugged in anywhere in the lineup for spot duty.

I think the competition on the fourth line will determine where exactly Toffoli fits into the lineup. Not suggesting he will end up on the fourth line, but if the Kings feel that Lewis could slide into a fourth line role as a center or winger, then it opens up the possibility for Toffoli to add a scoring punch to the third line with Stoll and whoever else wins the LW spot on that line.
Personally, I think Carcillo will get more games than King. King probably could/should get traded.

Old
09-13-2013, 02:03 PM
Johnny Utah

I do have a feeling King is the odd man out. Clifford and Carcillo add more than King does to the 3rd and 4th lines.

Some other Kings blogger/writer posted a 3rd line of Clifford-Stoll-Toffoli and then a 4th line of Carcillo-Fraser-Lewis.

That would make King and Nolan healthy scratches..But again, Kings would have to get rid of 2 D to let that happen.

Old
09-13-2013, 02:03 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Personally, I think Carcillo will get more games than King. King probably could/should get traded.
If King is moved, then I believe Clifford will pin down the #3 LW position and Carcillo will be a 4th line option. Moving a body up front helps paint a clearer picture as to how the Kings lineup will play out.

Old
09-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Johnny Utah

Exactly. I see that happening. Then Fraser can sit as well with Lewis shifting to center betwen Nolan and Carcillo or Lewis taking the RW spot.

Carcillo-Fraser-Lewis
OR
Carcillo-Lewis-Nolan

That would allow Clifford to play 3rd line LW. And if Frattin struggles, he and Clifford can shuffle.

Frattin-Richards-Carter
Clifford-Stoll-Toffoli
OR
Clifford-Richards-Carter
Frattin-Stoll-Toffoli

Old
09-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

I still like King more than Clifford. I think he is smarter, better defensively and more proven in the playoffs.

King vs. Carcillo is no contest, same with Clifford vs. Carcillo.

I would be ok with a third line of King-Stoll-Toffoli and a 4th line of Clifford-Lewis-Nolan

Old
09-13-2013, 02:10 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
If King is moved, then I believe Clifford will pin down the #3 LW position and Carcillo will be a 4th line option. Moving a body up front helps paint a clearer picture as to how the Kings lineup will play out.
Well, according to Sutter, if Frattin struggles as our 2LW, then Clifford would get a look there, which tells me he thinks highly of Clifford and therefore, he would be our 3LW with Carcillo and King battling for 4LW. And imo, Carcillo's a better fit for our 4LW with King being a HS, but who knows...

Old
09-13-2013, 02:10 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The 2012 playoffs version of King was great, probably the best performance we've seen from a 3rd line LW on the Kings in a very long time (maybe since John Tonelli?). But the 2013 regular season performance by King was so uninspiring. He looked flat out there and was not able to do much when the puck came to him.

He got better during the 2013 playoffs and was involved in a few goals, but I think in addition to us, the Kings also expect more from him. He needs to be more assertive physically and have more of a net presence. We saw that from him during the Cup run, but then it went missing for a majority of 2013. If he doesn't get back to the top of his game, he's a goner.

Old
09-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Well, according to Sutter, if Frattin struggles as our 2LW, then Clifford would get a look there
Of course he will.

Kyle Clifford is this decades version of Craig Johnson. Always seems to find his way on to scoring lines despite doing very little scoring.

Old
09-13-2013, 02:17 PM
Johnny Utah

"I'd rather tame a Tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi

Carcillo and Clifford are tigers, King is a kitty cat. With his size and pedigree he should be way more physical. He is actually a good fighter too but he never instigates. Crombeen an Reaves had to force him to fight. If he had the mean streak of his brother but kept his skill set and defensive play he would be better and more valuable than any of the Kings bottom 6 forwards.

Old
09-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Toffoli should be playing period.

Old
09-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
new thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...9#post71077899

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Closed Thread