HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
09-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I think we could easily afford him. Seriously Homer, make it happen, especially if it's for less than what we tried to do with Weber.

Coburn, Read and maybe a 1st (2014 or 2015) for him? Or that low balling it?

Timonen-Pietro
Streit-Schenn
Gus-Grossmann
Mez-Gervais

For the future:

Morin-Pietro
Hagg-Schenn
Gus-Ghost

Something like that?
Not enough, but Pietrangelo didn't have a killer year. They'd be selling low and that's probably why they are having money issues. Pietrangelo wants elite money, St. Louis probably doesn't think he had an elite year.

Old
09-11-2013, 01:35 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Not enough, but Pietrangelo didn't have a killer year. They'd be selling low and that's probably why they are having money issues. Pietrangelo wants elite money, St. Louis probably doesn't think he had an elite year.
It's his 3rd full year in the NHL. Give him the time and space, you'll get an awesome player out of him. He had over a .5 per game for a defenseman last season, but he's not purely offensive like Subban or Karlsson, but he's damn good all around. Also, last year was a strange year for a lot of teams and players.

Old
09-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Jray42
Win it for Kimmo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I have been saying watch the contract negotiations with the Blues and Pietrangelo for months now. If he goes into the season without a contract, that could be the turning point for them to think trade. December 1st is the day he needs to play or he won't be eligible to play and I believe will become a UFA if no contract is ever signed at years end. Now that won't happen, but let's hope it goes on longer and longer, because that increases the chances of him being trades.

Also on a side note, I just love that Blue fans think if they would trade Pietrangelo they would get Giroux, it's asinine to be honest. I understand what they are saying he would be the only option for us to give them for them to trade him, but Giroux is much more established and overall better player. Funny how some say they wouldn't make that trade, because I think every GM would probably.
I disagree. While I personally wouldn't trade Giroux for Pietrangelo, it's not unreasonable to think a GM would rather have Alex. Giroux is not a "much better overall player". I consider Giroux to be a top 5 center, and Alex a top 5 defenseman with the potential to become the best defenseman in the game.

Personally, I'd rather have Pietrangelo ahead of any other young defenseman, including Doughty, Karlsson, Subban, etc. But that's just me.

Old
09-11-2013, 01:42 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Coburn, Read and a first is a very meh return for an elite player like Pietrangelo.

They won't trade him anyhow.

Old
09-11-2013, 01:44 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray42 View Post
I disagree. While I personally wouldn't trade Giroux for Pietrangelo, it's not unreasonable to think a GM would rather have Alex. Giroux is not a "much better overall player". I consider Giroux to be a top 5 center, and Alex a top 5 defenseman with the potential to become the best defenseman in the game.

Personally, I'd rather have Pietrangelo ahead of any other young defenseman, including Doughty, Karlsson, Subban, etc. But that's just me.
Pietrangelo is not a top 5 defender in the league yet. He still has his up and downs, but that comes with age. Giroux has proven in the last three years he is a top 5 offensive center in the league. Weber, Suter, Chara, Doughty, Keith, even some might argue Seabrook, OEL and Subban(who is over rated by Montreal fans, still top 10 in the league right now.)(I am probably missing a few, I always do)

Top five is pushing it, but like you said, he can/will be there in 2-3 years time. He still is top 15 for me though.

Also, I am one of his biggest fans haha, I have been hoping this happened since around March. Anything that Armsrtong says right now has to be taken with a grain of salt, GM's always lie through their teeth. Of course he will say he wants Pietragelo there and they will never let another team offer sheet him, is he really going to say else wise?

Old
09-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Jray42
Win it for Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Pietrangelo is not a top 5 defender in the league yet. He still has his up and downs, but that comes with age. Giroux has proven in the last three years he is a top 5 offensive center in the league. Weber, Suter, Chara, Doughty, Keith, even some might argue Seabrook, OEL and Subban(who is over rated by Montreal fans, still top 10 in the league right now.)(I am probably missing a few, I always do)

Top five is pushing it, but like you said, he can/will be there in 2-3 years time. He still is top 15 for me though.

Also, I am one of his biggest fans haha, I have been hoping this happened since around March. Anything that Armsrtong says right now has to be taken with a grain of salt, GM's always lie through their teeth. Of course he will say he wants Pietragelo there and they will never let another team offer sheet him, is he really going to say else wise?
I think he's easily better than Subban and OEL. I prefer him over Suter, and Chara is definitely going to decline, and likely (or hopefully, ha!) pretty soon. I'd also take him over Doughty, but I'm probably alone with that view. Same with Seabrook.

But hey, that's just me.

Old
09-11-2013, 02:14 PM
flyersfan018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I think we could easily afford him. Seriously Homer, make it happen, especially if it's for less than what we tried to do with Weber.

Coburn, Read and maybe a 1st (2014 or 2015) for him? Or that low balling it?

Timonen-Pietro
Streit-Schenn
Gus-Grossmann
Mez-Gervais

For the future:

Morin-Pietro
Hagg-Schenn
Gus-Ghost

Something like that?
Not nearly enough for him. The asking price will probably be closer to Coburn, Schenn/Couts, 1st and a 2nd

Old
09-11-2013, 02:18 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan018 View Post
Not nearly enough for him. The asking price will probably be closer to Coburn, Schenn/Couts, 1st and a 2nd
I give Coburn+Schenn+1st+2nd for Pietrangelo every day of the week.

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Simmonds-Lecavalier-Read
Laughton-Couturier-Cleary/Gagne
Rinaldo-Hall-Talbot

Pietrangelo-Schenn
Timonen-Grossmann
Streit-Gustafsson

Mason
Emery

I'll take that lineup.

Old
09-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Hiesenberg

Pitkanen's career possibly over. He's definitely out for the 13/14 season.

Old
09-11-2013, 02:32 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Poor guy.

Heel injury will f him up for life if not mixed.

This could lend to all the rumours of a d on the way out from us.

Old
09-11-2013, 04:04 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Sucks that he possibly had to be the guinea pig for the hybrid icing to come in play.

Old
09-12-2013, 07:40 AM
BernieParent

TSN said that the Hurricanes were in talks with UFA Ron Hainsey. Hopefully, Holmgren is spending lots of chat time with Jim Rutherford.

Old
09-12-2013, 08:56 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Poor guy.

Heel injury will f him up for life if not mixed.

This could lend to all the rumours of a d on the way out from us.
How long is a heel injury supposed to take to heal anyway? I never knew they could be so bad from an athletes perspective (i.e. career ending)?

Old
09-12-2013, 12:02 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

OT

Anyone know what hotels in Florida the Flyers stay in while playing there...

Old
09-12-2013, 01:36 PM
PALE PWNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
How long is a heel injury supposed to take to heal anyway? I never knew they could be so bad from an athletes perspective (i.e. career ending)?
It's the big bone in the back of the foot and apparently when it breaks it cracks like an eggshell. Pat Peake had the same thing happen in 96 and apparently still can't walk the length of a mall, said he's in constant pain every day still today. He also said his was a bit different then Pitkanen's his not only broke in 5 places it also twisted upside down. Pitkanen's broke in 8 places but for the most part was stable. The doctor that surgically repaired it said it was something they see in construction injuries when someone falls a couple stories or a car accident with people pressing the brake, rather then an athletic injury. Super weird.

Old
09-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Akanon

Liiga (Finnish Elite League) season started today and Sami Kapanen's son, Kasperi, made a nice goal. I would love if the Flyers would pick him in this year's draft.
Here's the goal:
Kasperi scores a beauty

Kasperi was playing on the same line with Artturi Lehkonen (Montreal's 2nd round draft pick) and Luke Pither, who was traded to Carolina on January in exchange for Mark Alt and Boucher.

Old
09-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Hiesenberg

Hainsey signs with Carolina 1/2M. So much for a destination for Mesz there.

Old
09-12-2013, 03:08 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Hainsey signs with Carolina 1/2M. So much for a destination for Mesz there.
I'd hope they at least had talks.

Old
09-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Curufinwe

I was all for trading Meszaros but if there's no market for him now, then the Flyers can easily carry 7 defensemen on the roster.

Old
09-12-2013, 05:46 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I'd hope they at least had talks.
Rutherford basically has had a deal in principle worked out with Hainsey since very early in July just in case Pitkanen couldn't return in time for the early part of the season.

Old
09-13-2013, 07:33 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I was all for trading Meszaros but if there's no market for him now, then the Flyers can easily carry 7 defensemen on the roster.
They can?

If they don't move Mesz, they will be left with:

Timonen
Streit
Gross
Coburn
Gus
Mesz
Gervais
Schenn

Who is sitting in the pressbox with Gervais? Gus? I think that's pretty unfair, Mesz? Paying 4M to eat popcorn with his feet up?

Old
09-13-2013, 08:22 AM
Curufinwe

There'll be a defensive injury soon enough.

Old
09-13-2013, 08:31 AM
Hiesenberg

Even if its a day to day thing, they can't afford it. Homer would not be smart to go into the season needing LTIR to get under. You can pretty much forget any in-season deal, it makes it incredibly tough to complete a trade when already buried into LTIR money.

Old
09-13-2013, 08:49 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
It's the big bone in the back of the foot and apparently when it breaks it cracks like an eggshell. Pat Peake had the same thing happen in 96 and apparently still can't walk the length of a mall, said he's in constant pain every day still today. He also said his was a bit different then Pitkanen's his not only broke in 5 places it also twisted upside down. Pitkanen's broke in 8 places but for the most part was stable. The doctor that surgically repaired it said it was something they see in construction injuries when someone falls a couple stories or a car accident with people pressing the brake, rather then an athletic injury. Super weird.
Wow...such a freak injury and sounds nasty to recover from. Pitkanen has turned into a solid big minutes defender for Carolina so that is a pretty significant loss for him. I remember Pitkanen's rookie year..he looked so good and was kind of mean. The second year he became all aloof and apparently he was still adjusting culturally.

Old
09-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Hiesenberg

7 year deal for Pietrangelo.

6.5 per year.

Really? This was the giant hold up?

Closed Thread