HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey News has us 4th in division that could challenge for first

Old
09-13-2013, 05:41 PM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
The biggest deciding factor in our division -- by far -- will be how the goalies respond to a full season. Look at Montreal's competition: Boston and Ottawa went as far as they did because of strong goaltending, but neither Anderson nor Rask has ever played nearly as well over a full season. It's one thing to start 30-40 games, another thing entirely to play 60-70 games -- these guys have proven zero over that longer span. Toronto is in the same boat, with two part-timers in a potential dogfight for the top spot. It may energize Reimer and Bernier, or it may leave a gaping weak spot.

On the other hand, as erratic as Price was for a few weeks, he's the only goalie in that group who has proven he can excel over an entire season. The guy's a workhorse who had his best season when he played 72 games.

Ottawa's offence may improve marginally, but I predict a fallback on goaltending and less success as a team than many expect. Rask may keep Boston's GA down, but I think people underestimate how much they lost in Horton, Ference and Seguin, plus an aging Chara. Still up there, but not elite. Toronto is in for a rude reality check, IMO. Montreal should make the playoffs easily, but will be competing against the Islanders and Detroit for the mid-pack positions. Ottawa and Toronto may be bubble teams.
Losing ference was addition by subtraction, imo. Guy was always out of position.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 06:06 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Hate to the pessimist around here but Montreal is not making the playoffs.

In no particular order these teams will all finish ahead of the Habs this year

Detroit
Ottawa
Boston
Toronto
NYR
Pitt
Philly
WSH

then you have teams that are similar to Montreal

Columbus
Buffalo
NYI
Carolina

Montreal will be in a dog fight for the 9th spot let alone number 8

Last year was a fluke, had it been a full regular season Montreal would have missed the playoffs and would have been better for it.

Expectations are now through the roof and the on ice product cannot meet that expectation.
So by adding depth, size and skill on defense and offense we got much worse than last year. Ok, thanks for coming out!

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Milhouse40

Quote:

Detroit
Ottawa
Boston
Toronto
NYR
Pitt
Philly
WSH

Columbus
Buffalo
NYI
Carolina

Last year was a fluke, had it been a full regular season Montreal would have missed the playoffs and would have been better for it.

Expectations are now through the roof and the on ice product cannot meet that expectation.
It's may be right to say that the Habs aren't build for the playoff, but they are build for the season.

Speed, agressive forecheck and small players will get you many powerplays.
Habs were the team with the most PP chances last year.

And when it comes to powerplay.....Subban, Markov, Brière, Pacioretty, Plekanec, Galchenyuk, Eller, Gallagher, Diaz, Bourque....we got talent, we might have one of
the most dangerous powerplay in the league cause we can put 2 extremely good waves on the ice.

Talking about Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher.....which of these teams have a better 3rd line than this one??? One of the most dangerous 3rd line in the league, if not THE best.

This is why some poeple as myself can see the Habs battling for the top 3 spots in our division.

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 07:23 PM
impudent_lowlife

Just by looking at 2013 Fenwick Close (which is a very good indicator of regular season and post season success) I see the Habs being top 5 in the conference.

Phil, Wash and Car are iffy and CBJ, TB, Tor and Buff will probably not make the playoffs.

impudent_lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 08:14 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 777
Detroits defense is going to get a rude awakening in the East, me thinks. Plus, I'm really just not that big of a believer in Jimmy Howard.

I'm predicting the streak is over for Detroit making the playoffs and Montreal and Ottawa fight over the division.

Boston is a good club but Horton is actually a big loss for them, Seguin was very good in the regular season and Chara has really slowed down. Plus Rask got his big contract and will probably struggle a bit since that does happen after people get paid.

I know this is incredibly homer but I think this club is actually better, and healthy going into the season for the most part. Having a motivated goalie with a new goalie coach shouldn't be understated, Price is going to be a beast this season.

Montreal
Ottawa
Boston
Toronto
Tampa Bay
Buffalo
Florida

Is how I see it barring anything major happening. I would have put Ottawa first but Anderson will at best be worse than last year and the dynamic of going from grinding out games to trying to be more offensive with all their players back is going to be a culture shock and not relate to the success they had in tights games last year.

Habsawce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 08:26 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Detroits defense is going to get a rude awakening in the East, me thinks. Plus, I'm really just not that big of a believer in Jimmy Howard.

I'm predicting the streak is over for Detroit making the playoffs and Montreal and Ottawa fight over the division.

Boston is a good club but Horton is actually a big loss for them, Seguin was very good in the regular season and Chara has really slowed down. Plus Rask got his big contract and will probably struggle a bit since that does happen after people get paid.

I know this is incredibly homer but I think this club is actually better, and healthy going into the season for the most part. Having a motivated goalie with a new goalie coach shouldn't be understated, Price is going to be a beast this season.

Montreal
Ottawa
Boston
Toronto
Tampa Bay
Buffalo
Florida

Is how I see it barring anything major happening. I would have put Ottawa first but Anderson will at best be worse than last year and the dynamic of going from grinding out games to trying to be more offensive with all their players back is going to be a culture shock and not relate to the success they had in tights games last year.
Bookmark this post and re-read after the season. Guaranteed you will have a WTF-Was-I-thinking moment.

Buffalo and the Florida teams in, Detroit out?
Rask and Howard not so good. Price a beast. Hmmm.

Can't agree with you much on this post but time will tell.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 08:36 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Bookmark this post and re-read after the season. Guaranteed you will have a WTF-Was-I-thinking moment.

I think he's just ranking the division and forgot to include detroit after boston.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 01:00 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post

Well ... Here's Agnostic, you didnt settle it down with Carey yet ? Man, what did he do to your sister...

Howard was barely a good starting goalie before last year if we listened to the concensus and Price was a top 5 goalie... Now everything is upside down ...

I'm still waiting for Rask to play games like he's a starter... Highest games played still at 45.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 02:50 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
People underestimate the loss of Alfredsson to Ottawa.
Silver+Alfie>Ryan, but they're a deep well-coached team. I can easily see them being in the playoffs again.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 03:02 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I think he's just ranking the division and forgot to include detroit after boston.
I guess I took "the streak is over for Detroit" as an exclusion.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 03:32 AM
Avim86

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
Silver+Alfie>Ryan, but they're a deep well-coached team. I can easily see them being in the playoffs again.
People also forget they acquired MacArthur.

MacArthur + Ryan > Alfie ( on the downhill) + Silf.

Michalek - Spezza - Ryan
MacArthur - Zibanejad - Conacher
Greening - Turris - Pageau

Vs

Michalek - Spezza - Alffy
Silfvberg - Zbad - Conacher
Greening - Turris - Pageau

Last edited by Avim86: 09-14-2013 at 03:37 AM.
Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 05:01 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

I'm as big a homer as anybody but we'll definitely be in tough this year.

Our depth is only getting better and will continue to do so for the next few years at the very least.

I absolutely love the direction we're going in. The cupboards are bursting and we finally have legit top end talent. This year though I think we can be a bubble team with definite potential to do better. 14-15 is when we start to get into contender mode.

15-16 I say we win the cup. The Gallys and Eller will be really hitting their stride then. Tinordi and Beaulieu will have a year or two under their belts. Collberg, Hudon and possibly McCaron will be filling out our lineup.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
I'm as big a homer as anybody but we'll definitely be in tough this year.

Our depth is only getting better and will continue to do so for the next few years at the very least.

I absolutely love the direction we're going in. The cupboards are bursting and we finally have legit top end talent. This year though I think we can be a bubble team with definite potential to do better. 14-15 is when we start to get into contender mode.

15-16 I say we win the cup. The Gallys and Eller will be really hitting their stride then. Tinordi and Beaulieu will have a year or two under their belts. Collberg, Hudon and possibly McCaron will be filling out our lineup.
Big picture wise we are definitely heading in the right direction. I felt like we could've done a whole lot more this offseason to improve and didn't do it but we might improve anyway.

I can understand the skeptiscm for this year as we do have flaws on this team. Size and defense are a concern and we're only one season (and it was a shortened one) removed from a disastrous year. But last year we had THREE players who emerged as good players and that's the difference. Eller, Galchenyuk and Gallagher are all good players going forward and that's really something to be optimistic about. Price, Subban and Max we already knew were good but adding those other three gives us a really solid base going forward.

Our D still sucks though. That's something that really bothers me. We are leaving Price to fend for himself and I hate the way we've forgotten how to kill penalties. Regular season wise I think we'll have a good year. Playoffs I still think we need a lot more sandpaper but we're up and coming. Regular season wise I'll be very surprised if we aren't solidly in the playoffs. I see us 4th or 5th in the conference. We could move up or down obviously but I think we're a playoff team.

I've said enough about Briere in other threads so I won't hammer it home again here but I felt like with a couple of the right moves this offseason we could really make some noise postseason. Now I don't think that will happen. We aren't built for the playoffs and I think we'll see that come April. Long haul though we're going the right way and that's something to be happy about.

One big legit top four blueliner who is stay at home and can kill penalties (this is on top of Tinordi) and one big power forward who will go to the net. One or two fewer smurfs... that's how far away we are from being a legit contender. Two players and maybe some addition by subtraction. (Ryan and Cobourn would've been nice) We're getting there.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 09-14-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 12:01 PM
No Team Needed

Biggest factor for the Canadiens and I'll say it over and over until people understand is that the Canadiens absolutely dominate Florida. The Panthers haven't got any better (they got worse) and the Bolts lost Lecavalier who was good at giving Montreal fits (not as good as St. Louis but still). Toronto and Ottawa were not good against them and they have to play more games against them. Montreal will dominate the weaker teams in the Atlantic which is necessary for a playoff spot. Sens and Leaf fans will be whining about why they can't beat the weak teams like the Panthers, Bolts and Sabres all season long.

Montreal will make the playoffs. I liked Hockey News' predictions. Thought it was fair for the most part.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 01:46 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:

Detroit
Ottawa
Boston
Toronto
NYR
Pitt
Philly
WSH

Columbus
Buffalo
NYI
Carolina

agreed in 48 games anything goes last year

we are in adog fight for a wildcard but this is my prediction

with the 10th pick the Montreal Canadians select.......

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 01:47 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Big picture wise we are definitely heading in the right direction. I felt like we could've done a whole lot more this offseason to improve and didn't do it but we might improve anyway.

I can understand the skeptiscm for this year as we do have flaws on this team. Size and defense are a concern and we're only one season (and it was a shortened one) removed from a disastrous year. But last year we had THREE players who emerged as good players and that's the difference. Eller, Galchenyuk and Gallagher are all good players going forward and that's really something to be optimistic about. Price, Subban and Max we already knew were good but adding those other three gives us a really solid base going forward.

Our D still sucks though. That's something that really bothers me. We are leaving Price to fend for himself and I hate the way we've forgotten how to kill penalties. Regular season wise I think we'll have a good year. Playoffs I still think we need a lot more sandpaper but we're up and coming. Regular season wise I'll be very surprised if we aren't solidly in the playoffs. I see us 4th or 5th in the conference. We could move up or down obviously but I think we're a playoff team.

I've said enough about Briere in other threads so I won't hammer it home again here but I felt like with a couple of the right moves this offseason we could really make some noise postseason. Now I don't think that will happen. We aren't built for the playoffs and I think we'll see that come April. Long haul though we're going the right way and that's something to be happy about.

One big legit top four blueliner who is stay at home and can kill penalties (this is on top of Tinordi) and one big power forward who will go to the net. One or two fewer smurfs... that's how far away we are from being a legit contender. Two players and maybe some addition by subtraction. (Ryan and Cobourn would've been nice) We're getting there.
far from contender

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Dekar

I'll just be happy if we can eliminate games where we completely get our ass handed to us, especially by those ****ing Leafs and Sens. That was a tough pill to swallow last season.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 06:17 PM
25get

Price, defense and injuries will determine our position.

Seems that we have depth enough to deal with injuries.

The offense we have 9 players who can handle top-6 duties and 11 who can play top-9 (Moen and Prust).
Plus we have many players who can come in from Hamilton:
Dumont, Leblanc, Thomas, Bournival, Blunden can all fill a spot on the bottom-6.

In defense also we have many players who can play in the bottom-2.
Among Tinordi, Pateryn, Beaulieu and Nygren we can have some players to fill in.
First two are physical d-men and last two can move the puck and play PP.
Markov, Subban and Gorges have all played top-4 and Diaz did pretty well before his injury.

Over the course of an 82 games season, we might be able to deal with injuries better than other teams.

Seeing us in fourth position could make sense but one of Boston, Detroit or Ottawa will have to deal with injuries.

The unknown card here is Price. Anything over .920 makes us a top-3 in the division.

25get is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 06:34 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
far from contender
Not contenders. But no, we're not that far.

We have a good offense. Great goaltender, one of the best blueliners (maybe the best) in the league.

Our D needs to be fleshed out and we need to be a little bigger up front. We aren't there yet but we're not far. That's why I'm so pissed off about our stupid moves this offseason.

Bobby Ryan and Cobourn instead of Murray and Briere... this team is contending. Favourite? No. But we'd have a shot. And we'd be stronger next year and the year after... we'd be real contenders in a pretty short period of time.

Instead we got smaller up front and our D is a question mark.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 09-14-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old
09-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Beendair Donedat

I see it as another fringe year of battling for the 8th spot. Injuries will be a factor. The Defense will be the key - it's time to put Frankie Bouillon away for good and let Tinordi sink or swim. Losing Emelin will be a big loss, having Tinordi back there with Murray, gives us much more sand paper.

This should also be Gionta's last year here. I hope he's shipped at the deadline.

They'll have their boots full to make the playoffs.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 10:07 AM
ti-vite

With 5 UFAs (Markov,Emelin, Bouillon, Diaz,Murray) and PK RFA contract to sign, this is definately a transition year for the defense. I expect alot of movement this year for the D corp.

ti-vite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 01:59 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite View Post
With 5 UFAs (Markov,Emelin, Bouillon, Diaz,Murray) and PK RFA contract to sign, this is definately a transition year for the defense. I expect alot of movement this year for the D corp.
The other thing that hasn't been talked about but remains a concern is Markov's health. Our D is thin WITH him in the lineup. If he goes down again this club is really screwed back there.

When does Emelin come back again? January?

Old
09-15-2013, 05:30 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Detroit
Ottawa
Boston
Toronto
NYR
Pitt
Philly
WSH

Columbus
Buffalo
NYI
Carolina

Boston and PIT: will be better than habs
WSH and NYR: strong chance they will but both have a very strong chance of underperforming or habs overperforming to overcome them

Toronto and Ottawa: These three teams will be neck and neck all season

Detroit: Will be right behind us all season

The rest will not be near us

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 05:38 PM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
The other thing that hasn't been talked about but remains a concern is Markov's health. Our D is thin WITH him in the lineup. If he goes down again this club is really screwed back there.

When does Emelin come back again? January?
Yes agreed.

Yes roughly January.

This is why I think we can expect a healthy dose of Tinordi, Pateryn and a surprise on D (I like surprises called Nygren ) company this year during regular season. We need them up to NHL speed for the playoff run.

ti-vite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 05:49 PM
xposbrad

We should be be better than average this year, probably finishing in 6-8th for the playoffs. I think we all know the regular story around here even if we do qualify, is that we'll be booted in the first or second round. But that's just always going to happen until we take necessary steps to dump players at the right time. Ie. trading a markov when he has value instead of thinking every year we can go all the way. Small moves that position ourselves with obtaining an asset back instead of leaving him walk or holding onto him until he has no value.

Making the playoffs is not a feat, half the teams do it, so this isn't baseball where we can celebrate making the playoffs as if it was an accomplishment. But, until the team is prepared to risk dumping and trading players at opportune times, I don't see us ever winning anything.

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote