HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Trade proposal w/Chicago - Esche

Old
11-15-2006, 12:44 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newham View Post
Clearly you don't understand. A good captain should have his team waking up thinking that they want to play, Forsberg is their captain after all! It's not acase that they're not trying because it's Forsberg, it's more a case of Forsberg not motivating them enough.
If the million dollar contracts and playing a game for your career isn't enough motivation, they shouldn't be in the league.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 01:15 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
If the million dollar contracts and playing a game for your career isn't enough motivation, they shouldn't be in the league.
Well said.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 05:05 PM
krantan

I don't think either team would be interested in the trade. Boucher has played much better then Esche this year, and Lapointe is very similar to Sanderson. Slightly grittier, much slower and without the offensive upside.

In reference to the concept (in general) of trading for someone who would be a "better captain" then Forsberg, I don't think it's realistic. Whether or not he is a "good" captain, I think Forsberg puts significant value on it, to the point that if we tried something like this he would probably demand a trade. I don't see any scenario where our team has a chance this year trading Forsberg, even if Scotty Bowman came out of retirement with a new found passion for the game and brought a late 90s Yzerman with him.

I think 90% of our forwards problems are mechanical (not directly effort) and I am cautiously optimistic about Stevens getting to the bottom of them. I also think we need to focus our resources on SIGNIFICANTLY rebuilding our defense corps. If we can't fix that, there is no point in making short-term trades, because this year is toast. (Well, I guess it is at this point anyway)

krantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 05:21 PM
mikedifr

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by krantan View Post
I don't think either team would be interested in the trade. Boucher has played much better then Esche this year, and Lapointe is very similar to Sanderson. Slightly grittier, much slower and without the offensive upside.
I think you are really wrong here on the Lapointe vs. Sanderson. Sanderson is much better offensively obviously, but he is no where near the gritty and vocal leader that Lapointe is. LaPointe is slower then Sanderson (so are a lot of other players in the league) but I would hardly call him slow.

Quote:
In reference to the concept (in general) of trading for someone who would be a "better captain" then Forsberg, I don't think it's realistic. Whether or not he is a "good" captain, I think Forsberg puts significant value on it, to the point that if we tried something like this he would probably demand a trade. I don't see any scenario where our team has a chance this year trading Forsberg, even if Scotty Bowman came out of retirement with a new found passion for the game and brought a late 90s Yzerman with him.
I dont disagree, which is why I changed my original post and said no need to change the captaincy.

Anyway, these two are irrelevant now. They brought in that great Messier like leader Todd Fedoruk!!

Quote:
I think 90% of our forwards problems are mechanical (not directly effort) and I am cautiously optimistic about Stevens getting to the bottom of them. I also think we need to focus our resources on SIGNIFICANTLY rebuilding our defense corps. If we can't fix that, there is no point in making short-term trades, because this year is toast. (Well, I guess it is at this point anyway)
You may be right about the forward issues. Who knows what the heck the problem is at this point

Old
11-15-2006, 06:21 PM
Gardebut30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Do you want Calder back?
With Handzus being out for the season and some available cap space as a result, I'd take Calder back in a second.

Gardebut30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2006, 06:36 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardebut30 View Post
With Handzus being out for the season and some available cap space as a result, I'd take Calder back in a second.
You can have him for some good Chicago style pizza!!

Old
11-15-2006, 07:07 PM
Gardebut30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
You can have him for some good Chicago style pizza!!
Delivery charge will be a ***** though!

Old
11-16-2006, 07:48 AM
Stuy

Lapointe makes 2.4 mill with another year left.

11-16-2006, 10:45 AM
Hammerwise

calder and meyer or lars for

seabrook and a 3rd

Hammerwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Gardebut30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerwise View Post
calder and meyer or lars for

seabrook and a 3rd
not a chance

Old
11-16-2006, 09:33 PM
sickamore

What exactly has Lapointe done to make anyone think he's a good leader? If anyone should be brought over from Chicago, besides youth with big upside, it should be Vandermeer. It doesn't make them a contender, but bringing in more toughness, hitting and fighting will at least create an atmosphere teams won't want to play in. Yes it's the Broad Street Bullies mentality, and yes this is the "new" NHL(excuse), but the league was a much more skill oriented when those guys beat everyone up to get the reputation, or even better created the identity. No trade will make this team a contender this year, but fear will put them in the running in another year or two.

Forsberg is not a great leader, but so much has gone wrong for this team in the stability department it can hardly be put on his shoulders to turn this around. If he can be resigned and Richards can take over in the next couple of years in a Bullies mentality atmosphere, then Forsberg can be a big part of them making Philly a tough team to play again, regardless of Sabrespeed or the flukey first season under the new rules teams like Carolina and Edmonton.

sickamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 07:33 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

The Hawks have enough g-men

Habby is back, they got Boucher and the got Lalime coming back in awhile

deal does not make sense from a hawks point of view

trading a guy who plays 15 to 20 minutes a game for a back up? who might play 17 games the rest of the way

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote