HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Prospect gems with a chance to make it

Old
09-14-2013, 08:26 AM
lfchockey

vCash: 500
Prospect gems with a chance to make it

I'm wondering if anybody has an inside track of making an NHL roster this year straight out of camp that may be a bit of a surprise?

With everyone watching their favourite respective teams during training camps, maybe we can compile a list for some long shots to cracking the lineup.

Comparison: I'm thinking of a guy like Brandon Saad a couple of years ago that stayed with the big club after beating a few guys out that were drafted higher than him that year in the second round.(eventually sent back)
Andrew Shaw was another player that year that played a good chunk of games after being drafted in the 5th round

lfchockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Exit Dose

It didn't look like there was anyone at Anaheim's prospect camp that would be a surprise if they made it.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 09:25 AM
Goodlad

vCash: 729
For the Flames two possibilities are Granlund and Ferland. Both looked surprisingly good in the rookie camp, and had very good showings at the prospects tourney in Penticton. Very surprising considering neither was very impressive at all this time last season. Granlund had an ok season in the SM-Liiga (30pts in 50gms), but certainly nothing head turning. Ferland really struggled last season. With the lockout inflated roster in the AHL (and possible conditioning issues) he was demoted to the ECHL, and later returned to Junior as an over-ager. He only put up 31 pts in 30 gms.

They're both still outside shots at this point, but the fact that they're even in serious competition for spots is surprising.

Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 09:40 AM
gudzilla

trocheck for florida, got a decent chance

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 09:46 AM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Erik Haula drafted 7th round (#182 overall) in 2009 by Minnesota.

If not this year, he'll play for the Wild next year.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 09:47 AM
HoseEmDown

Two players for the Lightning that have looked really good and might get the 10 game look are Koekkoek and Erne. I don't expect either to stay up full season just cause we have other young players who need a look first. Erne needs to continue to fill out his frame and Koekkoek needs to show he can stay healthy.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 09:59 AM
haveandare

Oscar Lindberg has a chance of taking a spot at NYR camp after a breakout season in the SEL last year. Not a huge surprise if you follow NYR's prospect pool, but if you haven't been following Lindberg closely the past year, you'd probably be surprised to hear that he's one of the guys with the best chances. I'd expect him to start in the AHL and be the first call up at forward, but I wouldn't be shocked if he made the team straight out of camp either.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 10:34 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Oscar Lindberg has a chance of taking a spot at NYR camp after a breakout season in the SEL last year. Not a huge surprise if you follow NYR's prospect pool, but if you haven't been following Lindberg closely the past year, you'd probably be surprised to hear that he's one of the guys with the best chances. I'd expect him to start in the AHL and be the first call up at forward, but I wouldn't be shocked if he made the team straight out of camp either.
Is Miller expected to stay with the club this year?

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Avs seems to have a crush on Chris Bigras (32nd overall 2013) but hopefully they'll send him back to juniors.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 11:41 AM
HoseEmDown

Two players for the Lightning that have looked really good and might get the 10 game look are Koekkoek and Erne. I don't expect either to stay up full season just cause we have other young players who need a look first. Erne needs to continue to fill out his frame and Koekkoek needs to show he can stay healthy.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 11:43 AM
SchultzSquared

Marc-Olivier Roy (EDM 2nd round in June) is playing third line tonight against CGY... on a line with Anton Lander Jesse Joensuu two other guys fighting for fourth line jobs... curious to see if he can play above those guys... good chance anyway to show his stuff

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Hawks have a few open roster spots and someone like Phillip Danault is being looked at as most likely to pull a Saad/Shaw if there is one

Morin/Pirri/Hayes/etc should have advantage of some NHL experience but we have seen in past that Bowman/Q aren't afraid of putting kids capable of handling NHL on roster right from start

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 11:58 AM
JGalt

Michael Raffl seems to be the darkhorse pick to fill the Flyers 3rd line LW spot.

JGalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 12:19 PM
geoo9

Tolchinsky

geoo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoo9 View Post
Tolchinsky
There's no way he even gets a sniff at it this year.

Patmac40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 12:44 PM
Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Hawks have a few open roster spots and someone like Phillip Danault is being looked at as most likely to pull a Saad/Shaw if there is one

Morin/Pirri/Hayes/etc should have advantage of some NHL experience but we have seen in past that Bowman/Q aren't afraid of putting kids capable of handling NHL on roster right from start
I would add Teravainen as well. He was expected to spend the year in Finland again, but is forcing the team to reconsider.

Teemu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 01:36 PM
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!

vCash: 116
For the Oilers there are three guys I think could suprise and make the team out of camp who would be considered suprises one who could be a big suprise and get 10 games is Marco Roy (2nd rounder this year) and the other two would be less suprising are Tyler Pitlick (2nd rounder 2010) and Martin Marincin (2nd rounder 2010), some Oilers fans have written off Pitlick as a bust, and as a top six guy he is, but Pitlick brings a very high energy and physical game too the table that is perfect fora bottom six role. Marincin was a project when we drafted him but has progressed beautifully into a player on the cusp of the NHL and with a very good camp I can see him getting a shot, but he has so many players to pass and in my opinion I would love for him to play one more year in OKC.

Mozesmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 01:52 PM
MAJackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozesmadness View Post
For the Oilers there are three guys I think could suprise and make the team out of camp who would be considered suprises one who could be a big suprise and get 10 games is Marco Roy (2nd rounder this year)
Granted it was just one tournament, but Roy was the Oiler that really stood out for me in the games in Penticton that I watched. Could turn out to be a great 2nd round pick.

MAJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

Sens dont really have anyone other than maybe Mike Hoffman, but that wouldn't surprise any Ottawa fans. He won't be an impact player regardless. Any other prospect that can/will make the team are the big names like Pageau, Stone, etc..

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Larry Hoover

Josh Leivo for the Leafs is a major dark horse. I truly think he's a steal.

**DISCLAIMER: This is all from memory, so some of the facts may be off**

The guy was drafted late in the OHL, something like the 11th round and was a scrawny forward. He had maybe 8 points in the first half of his draft year with Sudbury, and 22 points in the second half. After that, he followed his second half improvement with 13 points (6 goals) in 8 playoff games.

The Leafs drafted him in the 3rd round after the guy wasn't even rated by central scouting. I believe it was Dave Morrison who called him "the steal of the draft". He's grown 1 or 2 inches since being drafted and put on around 25lbs. He's grown so much physically, but also has improved his game leaps and bounds.

I believe he had something like 75 points and 40 goals last season in the OHL. While his numbers are good, I think it's his talents that will make him succeed in the NHL. He's an extremely smart, and creative player who uses his size well but isn't overly physical.

Leivo is a modern day power forward with soft hands in the same mold as a Joffery Lupul. I truly think Leivo will be a top-6 forward in the NHL (maybe not this season, but in the future) with the potential to be as good as Lupul.

Larry Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 03:35 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Flames will obviously be giving every prospect every chance to make the team but the most likely candidates are

Granlund
Monahan
Horak
Sieloff
Knight
Ortio - The real wild card.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Tom13Falcons

Boone Jenner

Tom13Falcons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 04:18 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
I would add Teravainen as well. He was expected to spend the year in Finland again, but is forcing the team to reconsider.
Good point

I still think the TT in NHL angle is extreme unlikelyhood for this coming season but I wouldn't be shocked if he is on roster

But I was always under the impression he didn't have an out in his clause for this season with his Finnish Club

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 04:33 PM
bigdirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJackson View Post
Granted it was just one tournament, but Roy was the Oiler that really stood out for me in the games in Penticton that I watched. Could turn out to be a great 2nd round pick.
I saw Roy play a few times last year and he is just built for pro hockey. Maybe not physically, but he's incredibly smart and nobody works harder than him. That combination makes him a real dark horse. He probably won't ever be a top line guy, but it's the Oilers, so it's not like they need him to be a top line guy. Such a good quality pick in the second round.

bigdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 04:37 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Avs seems to have a crush on Chris Bigras (32nd overall 2013) but hopefully they'll send him back to juniors.
Came here to start this thread with this player. Colorado brass, including Patrick Roy, have been raving about him.

per Adrian Dater
Quote:
Roy on Chris Bigras: “Every day, we’re having meetings after practice and he’s been the guy everybody’s been overwhelmed with so far.”
Colorado's put a 1st and 2nd round pick into the NHL before (Duchene and O'Reilly a few years back), it's early, but it's starting to look like they could do it again this year.

Oliver Bjorkstrand and Ilari Melart for Columbus are two other guys that seem to be impressing. Bjorkstrand has been skating with some guys who are going to be Top 6 for the big team this year, while Melart hasn't been making friends, but has been impressing coaches with his physical play and could be in the mix for the #5-7 spot with Columbus.

Darnell Nurse has supposedly had an amazing NHL training camp with the Oilers and with Anton Belove not reporting (yet) due to Visa issues, I wonder if Nurse might force his way onto the roster to start the season.