HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Couturier vs. Brayden Schenn

Old
09-13-2013, 10:02 PM
The Dream
User Registered

vCash: 500
Sean Couturier vs. Brayden Schenn

What are your expectations for both players for this upcoming season and, which of the two will have the most productive season? And if the Flyers end up having a rough season all around could one of them be on the way out?

The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 05:41 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Without Briere hampering every chance that he creates, I can really see Schenn having a productive season as long as he is kept in the middle. He doesn't really have the skill set suited to a winger. I really hope the flyers see this. If he's down the middle I think 60 points will be the minimum he will hit.

I think this is going to be a strong year for Couturier but in a different way. I think he's going to be top 3 selke votes. 40+ points, Selke level defense, strong +-, strong corsi.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 09:06 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I think if Schenn is playing on the wing of VL like it is being talked about, Schenn will have a much better offensive season than Couturier, and that is pretty much a lock (barring any injury). He'll get more and better minutes than Couturier and will be playing with a top tier center. That being said, I think Couturier will likely have a bigger "impact" on the team this season. He'll be shutting down top lines and killing key penalties, while also putting in some points.

I'd say Schenn scores in the 50 point level, Couturier gets in the 30s (maybe 40s if he gets some PP time).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 11:02 AM
The Dream
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravyboatcaptn View Post
Without Briere hampering every chance that he creates, I can really see Schenn having a productive season as long as he is kept in the middle. He doesn't really have the skill set suited to a winger. I really hope the flyers see this. If he's down the middle I think 60 points will be the minimum he will hit.

I think this is going to be a strong year for Couturier but in a different way. I think he's going to be top 3 selke votes. 40+ points, Selke level defense, strong +-, strong corsi.
I would love to see that but, that might be too optimistic.

Schenn is capable of doing what you said, and he should do well with Vinny and Simmonds, but I wonder how productive he will be at the wing.

I have heard Couts has put on over 10 pounds this summer so, I am really interested to see how he does. I would love see Couts get some PP and PK time. Maybe some PP time would spark some offensive production for him.

Old
09-14-2013, 11:19 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I'm expecting about 55 points from Schenn as he continues to adjust to playing on the wing, likely with Lecavalier at center and Read or Simmonds at wing. For a 12 game stretch, 1/4 of the season, he was over a point a game with 14 points in that time. If last year was a full season, he would have had roughly 45 points. I don't think a 10 point increase is unrealistic. Their third year was when Richards, Carter, and Giroux broke out offensively(Carter more in his 4th year). And he's up for an extension, and I'm sure he would like to parlay that into a longer 4-5M contract instead of a 2 year bridge.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 11:21 AM
The Dream
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
I'm expecting about 55 points from Schenn as he continues to adjust to playing on the wing, likely with Lecavalier at center and Read or Simmonds at wing. For a 12 game stretch, 1/4 of the season, he was over a point a game with 14 points in that time. If last year was a full season, he would have had roughly 45 points. I don't think a 10 point increase is unrealistic. Their third year was when Richards, Carter, and Giroux broke out offensively(Carter more in his 4th year). And he's up for an extension, and I'm sure he would like to parlay that into a longer 4-5M contract instead of a 2 year bridge.
When I said unrealistic I was mainly referring too the Couturier prediction. I just don't think he will be in the top 3 of selke voting.

Old
09-14-2013, 11:26 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpinheiro4 View Post
When I said unrealistic I was mainly referring too the Couturier prediction. I just don't think he will be in the top 3 of selke voting.
Yeah I agree. Right or wrong, a lot of the Selke votes go to guys who will put up good numbers as well. Couturier scoring in the 30-40 point range likely won't crack the top three when guys like Toews, Bergeron, and Datsyuk are out there putting up those same numbers or better. That's my take anyway.

Old
09-14-2013, 11:58 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think if Schenn is playing on the wing of VL like it is being talked about, Schenn will have a much better offensive season than Couturier, and that is pretty much a lock (barring any injury). He'll get more and better minutes than Couturier and will be playing with a top tier center. That being said, I think Couturier will likely have a bigger "impact" on the team this season. He'll be shutting down top lines and killing key penalties, while also putting in some points.

I'd say Schenn scores in the 50 point level, Couturier gets in the 30s (maybe 40s if he gets some PP time).
Sounds about right to me.

09-14-2013, 12:18 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Yeah I agree. Right or wrong, a lot of the Selke votes go to guys who will put up good numbers as well. Couturier scoring in the 30-40 point range likely won't crack the top three when guys like Toews, Bergeron, and Datsyuk are out there putting up those same numbers or better. That's my take anyway.
I think the winners have always had this trend. But top 3 has had some great defensive players there too. Manny Maholtra is one, John Madden another. I think if Couts hits 40 points and puts up the best Corsi and +-, he will easily make the top 3.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 12:43 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:

I agree with this.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 12:53 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Sounds about right to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I agree with this.
Ok this is getting weird.

Old
09-14-2013, 01:14 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
In fairness though, Bergeron, Toews and Datsyuk also play in top six roles and with considerably better linemates than Couturier.

As for Couturier, I don't think it's out of reach to expect a 20 goal, 40 to 45 point season out of him. I also think that when all is said and done, it won't surprise me if Vinny gets moved to the Giroux - Voracek line, Couturier becomes the number 2 center and Laughton slides into the 3rd line center spot at some point during the season.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 01:21 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I was about to agree with you also.

Don't know what the worlds coming to.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 01:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
I disagree.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 02:28 PM
flyersfan28

couturier 45points
schenn 55points
if laughton play how manny point he score?for me 30points

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 02:38 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I disagree.
That's better.

Old
09-14-2013, 04:31 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
In fairness though, Bergeron, Toews and Datsyuk also play in top six roles and with considerably better linemates than Couturier.

As for Couturier, I don't think it's out of reach to expect a 20 goal, 40 to 45 point season out of him. I also think that when all is said and done, it won't surprise me if Vinny gets moved to the Giroux - Voracek line, Couturier becomes the number 2 center and Laughton slides into the 3rd line center spot at some point during the season.
much like coots and schenn playing in the ahl together. didn't they play well too?

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 11:30 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Schenn, Couturier remain building blocks

Patience Flyers...patience!

Quote:
In identifying all the problems piling up for the reeling Philadelphia Flyers, the dramatic trades that sent Jeff Carter and Mike Richards away are getting lumped in with other mistakes made by management.

And the optics of those deals aren't good right now. Carter and Richards have gone on to win a Stanley Cup with the Kings, and are a big reason Los Angeles is expected to contend for another championship this season.

But one NHL scout, after recently watching two of the biggest pieces GM Paul Holmgren got back in those deals, warned against forming judgment too soon.

"It's still really early to evaluate," he said.

As Flyers fans look for any sign of good news in the midst of the Philadelphia free fall during a season that was supposed to include a return to the playoffs, they can take solace in the notion that people around the league continue to see progress in both Brayden Schenn and Sean Couturier.

"I'm a fan of both of them," said one NHL team executive. "The question on both of them really at the end of the day is how much offense is either one going to produce?"

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog/...sean-couturier

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 01:46 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Patience Flyers...patience!
agreed!

Its not that cooter/schenn can't score, the TEAM can't score right now

Schenn has quietly been one of our best forecheckers/energy guys and is very skill w/ the puck

Cooter is doing all of the right things, but is still too young. I see him get knocked down about 3 times a game, but that means he's pushing his limits. Those limits will get much more impressive as he bulks up, he's only 20 and he's 6'4 ...ever heard of the saying big guys are late bloomers? It's 100% true, especially when you play a physical game!

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 02:00 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Right now the scale tips to Schenn. Schenn has scored goals, while Couts just looks out of place every game. I know that Couts is only 20yrs old but where is the grace and scoring touch he had 2 yrs ago? Schenn looks like he fits right in with Lecavalier on that 2nd line and when Vinny gets back I can see Schenn scoring a lot more goals.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 02:00 PM
BillDineen

Couts is a bit too much of a perimeter player for me. Likely only because he is concerned or arguably overly concerned about the defensive end. Schenn is stilll too slow with the puck on his stick, but has tremendous offensive instincts IMO. Both are longer term solutions rather than problems IMO.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 02:12 PM
Hiesenberg

I've seen promise with Couturier. His defensive prowess is back, which is great. Offense will come in time. Hopefully Raffl can bump Talbot down to the 4th when Vinny comes back.

Raffl/Couturier/Read I think can do some work.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 02:20 PM
blinds

I don't see the same thing that everyone who has been down on Couts this season is seeing. I think he's been fantastic in his role and his 2 assists is as much of a contribution as anyone is making. He lacks confidence in the offensive zone, but that will come with age and opportunity.

...And getting Talbot the hell off his line. Can't count the number of times he's been late to a rush, turns the puck over, positions himself wrong, or just anything to **** up the play. Guy can't hang on the 3rd line.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
I don't see the same thing that everyone who has been down on Couts this season is seeing. I think he's been fantastic in his role and his 2 assists is as much of a contribution as anyone is making. He lacks confidence in the offensive zone, but that will come with age and opportunity.

...And getting Talbot the hell off his line. Can't count the number of times he's been late to a rush, turns the puck over, positions himself wrong, or just anything to **** up the play. Guy can't hang on the 3rd line.
Same here. I see his line constantly keeping the puck in the offensive zone, with Couturier being a driving factor in that, despite Talbot making it essentially a two man line.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 02:30 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post

I love the guy but like I said he looks out of position on the ice and doesn't seem able to score. Couts, Schenn and Simmer really stepped up a while back when the Flyers were in the playoffs and I would really like to see that again, I do see it in Schenn but not in Couts. Simmer is a whole other story and thread.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote