HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Florida interested in Gator?

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2004, 05:02 AM
nikeisevil

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to nikeisevil
Florida interested in Gator?

Is this just Robin Brownlee fodder or should we start talking about possibilities?

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam040113/nhl_edm3-sun.html

"Dudley is said to be willing to part with either Kristian Huselius or Niklas Hagman, both forwards, to get what he wants.

"Oiler GM Kevin Lowe inquired about Huselius, a left-winger who has just five goals this season but scored 20 goals in 2002-03 and 23 the season before that, in talks with Dudley when Mike Comrie was being shopped around."

Old
01-13-2004, 05:05 AM
Slats432

If the Comrie situation taught me one thing, it is believe it when you see it and a deal ain't in the bag until it's in the bag.

Old
01-13-2004, 05:11 AM
H-Bear

Is FLA interested? Sure, but so are 29 other teams, as Smith is a very good defenseman. The question is, are they willing to give up what we want? Personally, I doubt it.

Old
01-13-2004, 06:50 AM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeisevil
Is this just Robin Brownlee fodder or should we start talking about possibilities?

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam040113/nhl_edm3-sun.html

"Dudley is said to be willing to part with either Kristian Huselius or Niklas Hagman, both forwards, to get what he wants.

"Oiler GM Kevin Lowe inquired about Huselius, a left-winger who has just five goals this season but scored 20 goals in 2002-03 and 23 the season before that, in talks with Dudley when Mike Comrie was being shopped around."
No thanks.

Old
01-13-2004, 06:59 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Greeeeaaatt idea. Let's weaken our defense some more. Let's pick up more struggling players. Let's add more wingers. Let's get Huselius, who probably gets knocked on his ass trying to get to the check-out at Boxing-Day sales.

Old
01-13-2004, 07:43 AM
Bohologo

I agree that a Huselius trade is unlikely-not another LW, let alone one who is noted for his timid play. On the other hand, if Lowe could somehow get someone like Kraijcek, we'd have a future puck-moving defender.

Old
01-13-2004, 08:03 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

If its for Smith, I'd like someone like Krajicek or Mezei coming back. I haven't seen much of the two players so I might be off on their value.

Since the Panther fans hold Krajicek in very high regard, I could live with a Smith for Krajicek straight up.
I think Mezei suffered a serious eye injury, but I wouldn't mind getting another 6'5" hulking defenseman...so I'd settle for a package revolving around him and a few draft picks or prospects.
In terms of Huselius or Hagman, I'd say no thanks. Even though Huselius has shown the ability to score goals, he's a bit soft and we already have plenty of borderline 2nd line players.

Old
01-13-2004, 02:36 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Greeeeaaatt idea. Let's weaken our defense some more. Let's pick up more struggling players. Let's add more wingers. Let's get Huselius, who probably gets knocked on his ass trying to get to the check-out at Boxing-Day sales.
LMAO - couldn't have said it better myself.

If the Oil make a trade there's really only one thing we want in return for the current team (a big scoring center) and nobody trades those kinds of players away. Even if we are just getting a prospect in return I don't want to see any more defensemen, left wingers or goalies right now. Maybe a rw, or definitely a big center.

Old
01-13-2004, 02:51 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Yah, it would really weaken the defensive core a lot, but you have to think the captain might be here after or on this season. For a pure talent return Smith for Huselius I love it, but I think we have to extend the deal to make sense for this club ... perhaps Smith, {something} for Huselius and Filip Novak.

Not sure what the soemthing would have to be. Novak fits the bill, big, fast offensive, creative, and lots of vision .... great things going for him.

I wonder what itwould it take? Maybe Winchester and a pick ... Laraque ... hmmmm

Sam

Old
01-13-2004, 03:33 PM
Yanner39

Thing is, our defense hasn't really been the problem. I agree losing Smith will weaken it, but we need scoring. Now is Huselius the solution? Don't really know about mostly because I don't know him as a player. But alot of the games they lost this year was due to lack of offense (and PP, which is related to lack of offense).

Old
01-13-2004, 05:10 PM
TheChase

Jokinen & Mezei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Thing is, our defense hasn't really been the problem. I agree losing Smith will weaken it, but we need scoring. Now is Huselius the solution? Don't really know about mostly because I don't know him as a player. But alot of the games they lost this year was due to lack of offense (and PP, which is related to lack of offense).
If Dudley is so kean on Jason Smith, our best Dman, what would you consider fair trade for Jokinen & Mezei ?

Smith, 1st from Philly & Laraque?

Old
01-13-2004, 05:12 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersRRRock/Kim
If Dudley is so kean on Jason Smith, our best Dman, what would you consider fair trade for Jokinen & Mezei ?

Smith, 1st from Philly & Laraque?
Jokinen has 1 good season and suddenly he is worth a top 3 defenseman and a 1st round pick?

Old
01-13-2004, 05:21 PM
TheChase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Jokinen has 1 good season and suddenly he is worth a top 3 defenseman and a 1st round pick?
what would you consider fair trade for Jokinen & Mezei ?

Old
01-13-2004, 05:30 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersRRRock/Kim
what would you consider fair trade for Jokinen & Mezei ?
I honestly don't think that is a trade you can make... sort of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The Panthers have invested a lot of time in Jokinen and he finally came through last year, so in order to give up on him, they would want an overpayment...

But conversely, you don't want to give up a lot for a guy who has had one good year, and not much else.

Old
01-14-2004, 08:50 AM
t0mf00lery

How about Huselius and Biron for Smith and Chimera?

Sure, Biron hasn't done a whole lot in his career so far, but he does have loads of offensive potential.

I am sure that the Oilers would probably prefer Mezei, but I don't think the Panthers would give him up.

The Panthers sure have a lot of good young d-men in Boumeester, Biron, Mezei, Krajicek, and Novak.

Old
01-14-2004, 08:57 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerrick

Sure, Biron hasn't done a whole lot in his career so far, but he does have loads of offensive potential.

I am sure that the Oilers would probably prefer Mezei, but I don't think the Panthers would give him up.

The Panthers sure have a lot of good young d-men in Boumeester, Biron, Mezei, Krajicek, and Novak.
One thing about Biron. He has the size to be a tower on the blue line. The guy's huge.

Old
01-14-2004, 08:57 AM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerrick

Biron is nothing more than waiver-wire fodder. Until he develops an edge to his game, he will never be anything more than a marginal defenseman on a lower-echelon team.

For proof, go to the Panthers board and read the less than flattering thread about him. Mezei, on the other hand, I would overpay for. He is big, mean and skilled.

Old
01-14-2004, 09:07 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
Biron is nothing more than waiver-wire fodder. Until he develops an edge to his game, he will never be anything more than a marginal defenseman on a lower-echelon team.

For proof, go to the Panthers board and read the less than flattering thread about him. Mezei, on the other hand, I would overpay for. He is big, mean and skilled.
Yeah, Biron could've been had last year when he was put on waivers.
If we're looking for another towering defenseman, I'd look at Mezei instead. Wow, imagine a Semenov, Cross, Mezei blueline.

Old
01-14-2004, 09:42 AM
Hydroponic Harold

Smith ,Laraque and Phillys #1 for Bouwmeester .

I actually met Jay a couple of summers ago in your fair city ..i saw a pickup with Med Hat Tiger plate on the front and a Med Hat bag in the back and i pulled up beside him just past the Colliseum on Fort road and it was him and his Dad.I yelled something stupid like a love struck teen girl and they pulled over and signed an autograph for me ..i told him it would be nice if the Oilers or Habs drafted you and he just said , yes it would be .Very quiet and a real nice kid .Probably thought we were some psycho stalkers from BC .....oh well i am like a kid around NHLers .....ime such an IDIOT!!!!!!!! I really should grow up .

Last edited by Hydroponic Harold: 01-14-2004 at 09:48 AM.
Old
01-14-2004, 10:15 AM
aki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
I tend to agree, but he sure laid out Stoll last nite.

Old
01-14-2004, 11:30 AM
CanmoreMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
If its for Smith, I'd like someone like Krajicek or Mezei coming back. I haven't seen much of the two players so I might be off on their value.

Since the Panther fans hold Krajicek in very high regard, I could live with a Smith for Krajicek straight up.
I think Mezei suffered a serious eye injury, but I wouldn't mind getting another 6'5" hulking defenseman...so I'd settle for a package revolving around him and a few draft picks or prospects.
In terms of Huselius or Hagman, I'd say no thanks. Even though Huselius has shown the ability to score goals, he's a bit soft and we already have plenty of borderline 2nd line players.
I like the kid named Weiss. That's about the only guy on Florida I'd be interested in dealing Gator for. Dudley, take it or leave it.

Closed Thread