HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Gagne on Flyers: 'I can't believe I'm not back'

Old
09-14-2013, 02:15 PM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Gagne on Flyers: 'I can't believe I'm not back'

Kinda messed up.

Quote:
“All summer, the Philadelphia Flyers kept hinting that they wanted to offer me a new contract and I even told Robert Sauvé, my agent, not to negotiate with other teams,” Gagne said. “We trusted them. We put all our eggs in one basket and we got caught. We never thought we’d be stuck in this situation at this time of the year…”

“I’m disappointed,” Gagne said. “I knew that hockey was a business, but with all the positive discussions we had with the GM Paul Holmgren, I can’t believe I’m not back with them.”

Gagne also told La Presse that when reports surfaced about Dan Cleary being offered a tryout with the Flyers, he and his agent, Bob Sauve, felt, “it was like a slap in the face."

Link to the CSNphilly story by Tim P: http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...ve-im-not-back

Full story: http://www.simongagne.com/2013/09/13...p-in-the-face/

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 02:15 PM
WhiskeySeven
Keeps hot stuff hot

Disgraceful

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 02:21 PM
poneill27

I don't want Gags back, but if they treated him this way than that sucks!!

poneill27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 02:23 PM
MP92

Cry me a river Simon. Thanks for all you've done for this organization but don't ***** like a little baby on your way out because you didn't get your way.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 02:28 PM
BernieParent

For all that Paul Holmgren expresses about loyalty, he seems to have greatly mishandled discussions with Simon Gagne. The least you can do as a GM is be upfront with a player over if you have a genuine interest in him. If they aren't even interested in inviting Gagne to camp, he deserved to know that a long time ago.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 02:29 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I highly doubt that's the reason why he's currently unemployed.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 02:48 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I highly doubt that's the reason why he's currently unemployed.
What's your theory?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 02:48 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Disgraceful
Stupid if you ask me. This is a business and he should have had his agent kicking tires to see if there was "any" interest from other teams for his services. To put all his eggs in one basket at this point in his career was not bright at all. Something is wrong here and I just cannot put my finger on it. But if I was Simon's advisor. I would be giving him better advice than what he was getting that's for sure. To sit tight on a "hint" at best is not very bright. I would love to see him with the Habs.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 02:55 PM
bungle
Casual Observer

Yeah this sucks but Gagne and his agent should've known better. Especially after Carter. If I was a player I wouldn't believe a word Homer says.

bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 02:56 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
What's your theory?
My theory has been the same, he's just not good enough anymore.

Old
Prongo
Beer

Was it Jeff Carter's agent who said Homer made the promise he wasn't being traded? If so, I love how we all believe a lawyer(presumably) like he would never tell a lie.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
For all that Paul Holmgren expresses about loyalty, he seems to have greatly mishandled discussions with Simon Gagne. The least you can do as a GM is be upfront with a player over if you have a genuine interest in him. If they aren't even interested in inviting Gagne to camp, he deserved to know that a long time ago.
This. After all the guy has done for this organization, the least you can do is be honest with him. Don't string him along and then kick him to the curb.

I usually defend Homer, but this is a **** move by him and the organization.

The Couturier Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 02:57 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Simon Gagne just texted me and said he regretted "a little of what I said because I have too much respect for the flyers." Story up soon
Source: Rob Parent @ReluctantSE

Old
09-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16

vCash: 400
He earned at least a try out

Disappointed

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 03:23 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

It is what it is.

I can't fault him for being upset/pissed even. But, the agent needs to see what else is out there, that's the job.

dingbathero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Mota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg LeClair View Post
He earned at least a try out

Disappointed
Yeah I agree. This organization has treated far worse players a lot better (R. Jones, Cote, Shelley, Hatcher, Shelley, Lappy, Little, Leighton, etc). I understand that doesn't mean hand the guy a contract, but he is pretty much saying he wants to be a Flyer and is willing to tryout to prove himself...I dont see the harm in giving him that opportunity considering what he has done for their organization. The worst part of Gags is this isn't the first time he's been screwed over by them.

Cote brought absolutely nothing to the table...yet they gave him a roster spot for multiple years, then let him retire into a coaching job. They can do all that but not give Simon Gagne a tryout? C'mon.

Watch him sign with the Pens and put up 30-40 goals playing on Crosbys wing.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 04:04 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Flyers have every intention of giving Gags a shot, someone new comes to organization that know Gags most recent seasons, and now we pass. I 100% beleive this is all Hexy and i trust him with his decision. I love Gags ( only current guy in my top 5) but Gags doesnt fit the 3rd line role we would need him to play and am ok with passing on him.

He is not a top 6 player anymore on a team with good offense, hope he plays somewhere tho.

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 04:10 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Cry me a river Simon. Thanks for all you've done for this organization but don't ***** like a little baby on your way out because you didn't get your way.
why? I believe him. Holmgren's a cutthroat piece of garbage when it come to dealing with people. we all know this is a business but if he lied and led them to believe the only reason there was no contract was because of the cap and they had to wait until we got closer to the season to sign him because of room then that's just insanely F'd up to do to any player especially a guy who's been a part of your organization for a long time. None of us know what happened in terms of the conversations but i would be more inclined to believe gagne than homer. Just have some goddamed respect for people as humans and let him know its up in the air and there's no guarantee. doesn't sound like that's what happened. The guys only 34, he wants to play. I know because we got lecavlier it doesn't seem like it but this has to hurt us when it comes to signing players. There's probably a ton of guys we could've gotten but didn't because of this B.S.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 04:18 PM
JGalt

This is easily the most upset I have been with the organization in my time as a fan. Truly shameful.

JGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 04:20 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Stupid if you ask me. This is a business and he should have had his agent kicking tires to see if there was "any" interest from other teams for his services. To put all his eggs in one basket at this point in his career was not bright at all. Something is wrong here and I just cannot put my finger on it. But if I was Simon's advisor. I would be giving him better advice than what he was getting that's for sure. To sit tight on a "hint" at best is not very bright. I would love to see him with the Habs.
I don't think it was a "hint". I get the impression from this that they told him "your coming back". That said i didn't want him back but i do like him as a player and think he should have gotten a better chance earlier in the summer to sign with another team. we obviously hogged him and led him on cause we didn't know if we needed him or not. I'd think Holmgren was a genius for things like that but then you look at the retarded contracts he gives people and i realize he's just a desperate a hole. Can't wait til Hextall takes over.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 04:24 PM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Rob Parent ‏@ReluctantSE 3h
Holmgren says front office army discussed tryout contract for Gagne after Cleary opted out. He/they decided not to offer, go with young guys

They couldn't even offer him a tryout? What would be the harm in that?

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 04:34 PM
zarley zelepukin

Boy, I continue to be just thrilled with the way the team is run these days. Oh wait, no... No.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 04:40 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
Boy, I continue to be just thrilled with the way the team is run these days. Oh wait, no... No.
So the team passing on an old injury prone player to give time to young guys is a stupid move ?

If they have zero intention of him makimg team, why waste his time with a tryout? Flyers need to move off these sentimental moves to give young guys chances.

Gagne is out begging for teams to take him , yet still unsigned ?

A 3rd line of Gags Couts Read would get pushed around by a jr high girls team, he doesnt fill a need on his team, its pretty simple.

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 04:51 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
why? I believe him. Holmgren's a cutthroat piece of garbage when it come to dealing with people. we all know this is a business but if he lied and led them to believe the only reason there was no contract was because of the cap and they had to wait until we got closer to the season to sign him because of room then that's just insanely F'd up to do to any player especially a guy who's been a part of your organization for a long time. None of us know what happened in terms of the conversations but i would be more inclined to believe gagne than homer. Just have some goddamed respect for people as humans and let him know its up in the air and there's no guarantee. doesn't sound like that's what happened. The guys only 34, he wants to play. I know because we got lecavlier it doesn't seem like it but this has to hurt us when it comes to signing players. There's probably a ton of guys we could've gotten but didn't because of this B.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
I don't think it was a "hint". I get the impression from this that they told him "your coming back". That said i didn't want him back but i do like him as a player and think he should have gotten a better chance earlier in the summer to sign with another team. we obviously hogged him and led him on cause we didn't know if we needed him or not. I'd think Holmgren was a genius for things like that but then you look at the retarded contracts he gives people and i realize he's just a desperate a hole. Can't wait til Hextall takes over.

You're way too emotional over this.

Old
09-14-2013, 04:57 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
So the team passing on an old injury prone player to give time to young guys is a stupid move ?

If they have zero intention of him makimg team, why waste his time with a tryout? Flyers need to move off these sentimental moves to give young guys chances.
It's the fact that they jerked him around the whole offseason making him think he was gonna have a shot at making the team. If they didn't want him, they should've been up-front with him from the beginning.

The Couturier Effect is online now   Reply With Quote