HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens sign goaltender Zachary Fucale to a three-year contract

Old
09-15-2013, 07:13 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Good looking goalie....seen some camp highlights. Habs may found a steal in 2nd round.
wouldn't exactly call him a steal, he was the best-ranked goalie of his draft.

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 07:51 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
He was excellent value where he was drafted. Usually a guy that calbre would have gone in the 15-25 range. Deep draft plus not a lot of teams in that range needing a young goalie helped us.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 07:52 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
I would call that a steal, we get the best ranked goalie in the second round. It means 29 other teams passed on him (some more than once).

But then again, I think it's been shown that you can get a good goalie later in the draft compared to players.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 08:16 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

The only reason to sign him, and given the signing bonus would be that he needed money.

It's why Toronto signed Pogge. It was just him and his mother.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 08:51 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
The only reason to sign him, and given the signing bonus would be that he needed money.

It's why Toronto signed Pogge. It was just him and his mother.
You think teams do that? They'll help out a young player in need by giving him a contract with a bonus? Maybe if they know they're going to sign him eventually, but I don't seem teams helping out players like that.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 09:00 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
You think teams do that? They'll help out a young player in need by giving him a contract with a bonus? Maybe if they know they're going to sign him eventually, but I don't seem teams helping out players like that.
If they draft them high enough they will. Burmistrov sent a letter to Datsyuk when he was younger asking him for money for equipment because his family couldn't afford it. Datsyuk bought him equipment and just last year Burmistrov was in the NHL. Thrashers signed him right away based on talent and more so because he'd need the money.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 09:12 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
If they draft them high enough they will. Burmistrov sent a letter to Datsyuk when he was younger asking him for money for equipment because his family couldn't afford it. Datsyuk bought him equipment and just last year Burmistrov was in the NHL. Thrashers signed him right away based on talent and more so because he'd need the money.
that a true story? awesome if so

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 09:22 AM
MTLSandman*

I can pretty much confirm that Zach isn't in dire need of money... He lives in rosemere about 10 houses away from mine, and I've known him for a while. Not that he's living in a mansion or anything, but I'm sure he can afford equipment and other stuff ( like the guy above was saying with burmistrov). Now maybe it was to finally payoff his parents mortgage or something like that than sure. But he isn't poor.

MTLSandman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 09:50 AM
Sorinth

According to capgeek depending on the contract his caphit can be affected. I believe the cap hit for the signing bonus gets spread over more years which results in a lower cap hit if/when he does make the NHL.

Quote:
Depending on the contract's structure, the player's cap hit can be affected either by an increase or a decrease. Players who sign at age 18 can have their contract extended (or "slide") two seasons.
http://www.capgeek.com/faq/how-does-...contract-slide

Sorinth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Blackshad

Quote:
I am sure they do that so they can concentrate on hockey and not doing ****y jobs over the summer.

Blackshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 10:34 AM
Teufelsdreck

Some posters were nervous because the Habs lack depth in the goaltending department. I'm glad that's settled. Fucale should appeal both to those who favor drafting for need and those who favor BPA. To the best of my knowledge there were no Galchenyuks available in the second round, but then again I haven't cleaned my crystal ball recently.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 10:41 AM
yoyo999

The Canadiens are in a situation where they can potentially have the Olympic goalie and the World Junior goalie in the same year. Has that ever happened?

yoyo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 12:15 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Why the skepticism about the quick signing? The Habs want Fucale , Fucale wants the Habs , why does a smooth negotiation make people nervous?

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 12:23 PM
shutehinside

ABergevin is making a habit of signing young players recently drafted. It's a sign to them they have faith in them and see them as part of the organization going forward.

Not a sign they expect him to play this year or next or after that. It's not implying Price won't be or isn't considered the Habs no. 1 goalie. Just a nice gesture to a high draft pick that he's part is the Momtreal Canadiens organization now.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Why not? If money is a big worry, it'd be harder to focus all his time on improving his hockey.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 08:21 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Why the skepticism about the quick signing? The Habs want Fucale , Fucale wants the Habs , why does a smooth negotiation make people nervous?
Yeah this is kind of a nothing-burger. Fucale's going back to Halifax this year and next (he can't play in the AHL next year) so his contract won't even start until the 2015/16 season. Then he's got at least one full season in Hamilton ahead of him. Price is locked in as #1 until at least 2016/17.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Yeah this is kind of a nothing-burger. Fucale's going back to Halifax this year and next (he can't play in the AHL next year) so his contract won't even start until the 2015/16 season. Then he's got at least one full season in Hamilton ahead of him. Price is locked in as #1 until at least 2016/17.
Woah, yea he is at least three years out and that is fine because Price will be at the peak of his career just as Fucale is breaking in.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:36 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Fucale's confidence alone is reason enough to sign him, Zach's play will dictate when he's ready to challenge for the backup goalie position. Slow and steady learning under the watchful eyes of Stephane Waite, will assure Fucale's progress.

The Habs may use a Gillis (Van. GM ) move by 2015 - 2016, trading a world class goalie for a Top Ten pick. Vancouver getting NJD's #9th OV pick for the rights to Schneider and drafting Bo Horvat a player Timmins coveted. At #9th OV the Habs could have chosen Nicushkin or Morin, so drafting Fucale can be considered a steal. If he progresses like Schneider the Habs will be in a position to trade for a potential gamebreaking talent in 2015- 2016.

Bergevin's team should be in the elite playoff contention by then and adding a Top Ten pick might put them over the Top. That's with everything being ideal, so congratulations Zach a Stanley Cup ring may also be just around the corner.

S Bah is online now   Reply With Quote