HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey stop

Old
09-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Bruins1050
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Hockey stop

Relatively new playing ice hockey. My hockey stop isn't there. I'm having a hard time trying to get it down. Every time I try to put pressure on my front foot I lose control. Any suggestions or tips?

Bruins1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 11:08 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins1050 View Post
Relatively new playing ice hockey. My hockey stop isn't there. I'm having a hard time trying to get it down. Every time I try to put pressure on my front foot I lose control. Any suggestions or tips?
It's just practice... keep repeating it until you get it down. Bend your knees, lean away from where you're stopping and keep practicing it.

Until you get it down you can drag one foot horizontally or use the "V" stop where you angle your skates like an upside down v.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 11:25 AM
do0glas

stop being a wussy about it...best advice i got.

go faster than you think you should when trying it.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 11:34 AM
jazzykat

Unfortunately, learning to skate better involves falling and looking like a spazz.

Wear hockey pants, hockey gloves/wristguards and elbow pads when you practice. You will still fall but it won't hurt as much.

Try to practice when there are less people around. I have often slipped and slid at relatively high speeds into the boards, you don't want to take anyone with you when you do.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 02:54 PM
LarryO

Don't lean your skates too much when you're first learning it. Bend your knees. Apply pressure more to the front of your blades than to the back of them. Start with these things.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 03:15 PM
nullterm

It isn't just trying, it's about knowing what to try.

First, get your skates sharpened with a shallower hollow. Like 3/4". It will make it easier as your skates won't bite the ice as much.

Then standing still just practice pushing one foot to the side scraping a thin layer of snow with blade. Balance all weight on the other foot, then scrape.

When doing this, try keep your blades a bit vertical. Don't try to angle the blade edge into the ice too much or they will just bite into the ice.

Then after you figure out how to weight shift, balance, scrape then work on skating forward but at slow speed. Shift all weight/balance to one foot, then put the other foot in front in a "T" shape. Start with no weight then slowly shift more to the front foot and use it like a snow plow to slow down.

Practice that over and over. Then with more and more speed.

Once you can stop like that, developing balance and coordination then a full hockey stop will be easier to learn.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Can you snow plow? I found the best for me was to start by doing a snow plow and then turning to one side or another. I did that until i felt comfortable stopping on both feet individually (front foot).

From there i started doing "T" stops to practice using the back foot. I'm still not great at doing back foot stops, but my hockey stops have gotten pretty good.

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 12:23 AM
Fanned On It

Doing T-Stops with my front foot first while keeping my back foot normal really helped me get the feel for it. Before that I was lost.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 03:23 AM
AntsSheffield

Components of learning to hockey stop. I think you need to work your way through these things to get it. Ideally these should all be done for both sides, but you'll find one side learns way faster than the other:

1. One-footed stop, ie one foot out front.
2. Standing still shaving ice; inside edge of leading foot, outside edge of trailing foot.
3. Standing still 90 degree fast hip swivel from bent knees. Unbending the knees allows you to unweight your skates. Turning your upper body to the side you intend to stop on kinda loads the spring ready for the hip swivel.
4. Putting 2 & 3 together from slow movement. Do one or two strides, bend the knees, turn the upper body, then swivel the hips.

It takes a while to learn but those are the component parts, AFAIK.

Have a look at some vids too. I like this guy's stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI8kezdduEg

AntsSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote