HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pre-Season Game #1 - 09.15.13 - vs St. Louis - 1120 AM (KMOX in STL)

Old
09-15-2013, 09:34 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Pre-Season Game #1 - 09.15.13 - vs St. Louis - 1120 AM (KMOX in STL)

Projected Lines:

Quote:
Mark Stepneski ‏@StarsInsideEdge

Stars lines this morning: Benn-Seguin-Cole; Horcoff-Eakin-Nichushkin; Roussel-Fiddler-Chiasson; Gazdic-Mueller-Ritchie
Quote:

Stars defense pairings this morning: Goligoski-Klingberg; Dillon-Oleksiak; Connauton-Benn
Quote:

Stars goaltenders this morning: Dan Ellis; Jack Campbell

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 09:41 AM
BigG44

According to STL forum, you can listen to the game on KMOX in STL.

Here is a link to the station. Listen Live in the top, right corner.

Old
09-15-2013, 09:46 AM
Primetimey

vCash: 83
Hockey

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 09:47 AM
BigG44

Yesterday, Ruff said he wanted to get all of the new players into this game so I wouldn't read anything in to Horcoff on wing, IMO. Probably just wanted to give his potential Top 9 center a chance to play in a Top 6 role tonight.

Roussel - X - Chiasson could also be a potential 3rd line, probably with Horcoff in the middle, if Peverley does miss a game or two to start the season.

Old
09-15-2013, 09:55 AM
Klockis
I need girl

SeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSe guinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSegu inSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguin SeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSe guinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSegu inSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguin

*deep breath*

SeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSe guinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSegu inSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguin SeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSe guinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSegu inSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguinSeguin

Klockis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 09:56 AM
Primetimey

Also, just realized Nichushkin is on the right side again.. lol

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 10:06 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post
Also, just realized Nichushkin is on the right side again.. lol
Yeah ... all of TC and camp up until yesterday at LW. I'm wondering if it has something to do with Peverley missing some time.

Maybe they prefer a guy like Roussel sliding up in the Top 9 and feel he's better at LW. Nuke and Chiasson could end up competing for that 2nd RW spot in the meantime.

Another wild ass guess ... The reason they slid Horcoff to LW today was so he can get use playing with Nichushkin, and they wanted to experiment with both in the Top 6 role.

Who knows ... but I agree with you that I was surprised Nuke is back at RW after mostly playing LW ... not that he'll have much of an issue going back and forth.

Old
09-15-2013, 10:29 AM
Starry Knight

vCash: 844
1st and 3rd defense pairings are heart attacks waiting to happen

Starry Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 10:52 AM
Klockis
I need girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starry Knight View Post
1st and 3rd defense pairings are heart attacks waiting to happen
Are you suggesting that Jordie Benn is not a legit top pairing defenseman?

Klockis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 11:08 AM
BigG44

Explanation on Horcoff at wing:

Quote:
“There will be a little versatility there,” Ruff said. “There will be time Shawn will be at the wing and times he will be in the middle. When Rich (Peverley) is available this season, there will be times when someone will have to go to the wing, and there will be times when Rich may have to go to the wing. Early on I want to get guys comfortable with either or.”

Old
09-15-2013, 11:09 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Damn. I wanted to see:

Goligoski - Dillon
Oleksiak - Klingberg

Oh well.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 11:10 AM
BigG44

More from that link:

Quote:
“I said to the team, I want to do the little things better than the other team,” Ruff said. “I want the execution part, I want the discipline in the game. We’re looking for all the little areas, the passing, how were defending and coming back in our own end and how we are playing in the offensive zone. Are we having enough zone time? All those little areas.”
... so all things that Dallas has struggled with since 2008. That man deserves a bonus if he can ice a Dallas team that does those things.

I hope he gets it done. I'd love to see less dumb penalties and attention to details.

Old
09-15-2013, 11:12 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Damn. I wanted to see:

Goligoski - Dillon
Oleksiak - Klingberg

Oh well.
While I've personally said I'd like to see Nemeth-Oleksiak long term, Dillon could also be an excellent long term partner for Big Rig.

I still feel like you Dillon and Goligoski is a pair I want to see more of, I'm looking forward to see how Dillon and Oleksiak mesh.

Old
09-15-2013, 11:16 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
I also tend to prefer having one guy on each pairing run the offensive part and one run the defensive if you know what I mean, which isn't always the best thing for the team (just my personal preference). Unless you're seeing Oleksiak as the offensive catalyst there, that's where we differ.

Regardless, the future's looking bright for our defense, especially if Klingberg really is a surprise later on.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 11:24 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I also tend to prefer having one guy on each pairing run the offensive part and one run the defensive if you know what I mean, which isn't always the best thing for the team (just my personal preference). Unless you're seeing Oleksiak as the offensive catalyst there, that's where we differ.

Regardless, the future's looking bright for our defense, especially if Klingberg really is a surprise later on.
Technically ... Oleksiak and Dillon could both be that offensive player down the line, but I actually agree with you about the breakdown.

For arguments sake, you could look at Nemeth, Gaunce, or Jokipakka down the line as the defensive plug on the other two pairs ... maybe even Bystrom. Then look at Goligoski, Connauton, Klingberg, and then again even Bystrom as the offensive plug.

This season though .. I do feel Dallas would be better served splitting up Oleksiak (assuming he makes the team) and Dillon.

Personally I'd really like to see Oleksiak-Gonchar and Dillon-Goligoski for this season. Yeah that probably pushes Connauton out since you'd expect Daley and Robidas to fill out the bottom pair, but I hope, hope, hope that contract structure would help Connauton sneak through waivers. A full year in Texas with Gaunce could do wonders for him. That could honestly be the top pair if Oleksiak is a full time NHLer. Of course ... Texas could have 3 top pairs considering the quality of depth they have. Benn-Fortunus could be top pair on any AHL team, and Nemeth-Jokipakka could be excellent as well.

Old
09-15-2013, 11:27 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

vCash: 500
Man do I wish this game was air tonight ... sucks.

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 11:52 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Technically ... Oleksiak and Dillon could both be that offensive player down the line, but I actually agree with you about the breakdown.

For arguments sake, you could look at Nemeth, Gaunce, or Jokipakka down the line as the defensive plug on the other two pairs ... maybe even Bystrom. Then look at Goligoski, Connauton, Klingberg, and then again even Bystrom as the offensive plug.

This season though .. I do feel Dallas would be better served splitting up Oleksiak (assuming he makes the team) and Dillon.

Personally I'd really like to see Oleksiak-Gonchar and Dillon-Goligoski for this season. Yeah that probably pushes Connauton out since you'd expect Daley and Robidas to fill out the bottom pair, but I hope, hope, hope that contract structure would help Connauton sneak through waivers. A full year in Texas with Gaunce could do wonders for him. That could honestly be the top pair if Oleksiak is a full time NHLer. Of course ... Texas could have 3 top pairs considering the quality of depth they have. Benn-Fortunus could be top pair on any AHL team, and Nemeth-Jokipakka could be excellent as well.
Connauton could sneak through waivers but I will be pretty damn worried if they try it. To me it would mean he is basically not very likely to be an NHL contributor. At 23 years old he should be NHL ready and if he is not expectations really drop for him.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 11:59 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
At 23 years old he should be NHL ready and if he is not expectations really drop for him.
He honestly probably is, but that doesn't mean, IMO, he should play above Oleksiak if Jamie keeps playing like he did in TC and camp so far. That's not a knock on Connauton, that's just getting passed by a top notch prospect.

It would be nice to see Kevin force a trade of a guy like Robidas and Daley, but despite as much as we hate on them, they are good NHLers played in the right role.

I don't know that it will be a negative against Kevin if he doesn't make the NHL roster for Game 1 this season.

Old
09-15-2013, 12:10 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
He honestly probably is, but that doesn't mean, IMO, he should play above Oleksiak if Jamie keeps playing like he did in TC and camp so far. That's not a knock on Connauton, that's just getting passed by a top notch prospect.

It would be nice to see Kevin force a trade of a guy like Robidas and Daley, but despite as much as we hate on them, they are good NHLers played in the right role.

I don't know that it will be a negative against Kevin if he doesn't make the NHL roster for Game 1 this season.
I absolutely agree it wouldnt be a knock to get passed by Oleskiak. I really don't want the team to feel like its worth risking Connauton on waivers at all. I would definitely hope he both he and Oleksiak look great the organization would have the stones to make room for them to both be on the roster.

It is going to be very very interesting to watch the Stars d situation over the next 3 years or so. Next year we should get at least one opening with Robidas leaving. At that point we might have 3 guys who are ready to fight for it. The year after that Gonchar will likely be gone and hopefully Klingberg is the guy to take that spot.

To be clear on Connauton what I am saying is if he is NHL ready and the team still thinks its worth it to risk him on waivers then they probably don't think that highly of his overall potential. If they really think he can be a pretty good player they will find a way to keep him.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 12:20 PM
BigG44

Stones was something I use to worry about with Dallas management, but drafting Nichushkin and trading Eriksson for Seguin gives me some confidence in Nill.

So then I do agree with you, if they don't make room for Connauton ... they don't have confidence in him, and that sucks. I wish he was better overall, but I really do want to see that special shot on Dallas' PP. Tough to keep him and Goligoski on the team though. It's hard to have two offensive guys that are just average on D ... you could argue slightly below at times.

Old
09-15-2013, 12:26 PM
BigG44

This Cowboy's game is just killing time until 6:00PM ... Really excited to at least get to listen to tonight's game from STL radio.

This is BS though ... and someone needs to get in Gaglardi's ear. There's no reason every Dallas game isn't being broadcast on the Ticket. That is just stupid. Colorado has been doing it for years .... Dallas can do it.

Old
09-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Starry Knight

vCash: 844
If connauton goes on waivers I would assume that a team like Carolina (major holes on defense) would pick him up.

Starry Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 12:29 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Hell, MSG is broadcasting all 6 of the Rangers' preseason games. No reason Dallas can't at least do radio.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 12:33 PM
BigG44

Not really trying to make excuses or anything ... but I just realized Dallas has essentially neutered Connauton. I get practicing the PP is dangerous because you expect guys to block shots, and often in practice they'll even use soft pucks ...

Not playing a single PP in the scrimmage prevented Connauton from showing his strength. Hopefully STL is starting a young, inexperienced lineup that takes a ton of penalties. I want to see what Connauton, Klingberg, and Goligoski can do.

Old
09-15-2013, 12:48 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starry Knight View Post
If connauton goes on waivers I would assume that a team like Carolina (major holes on defense) would pick him up.
I don't think they really have room for him. The huge hole was filled with Hainsy who is a very good defender, and the offense lost has a good chance of being filled by rookie Ryan Murphy.

They aren't a great D by any stretch of the imagination, but they're deep enough that Connauton doesn't exactly make them better.

I think between Faulk, Gleason, Sekera, Hainsey and Harrison, they'll have a solid Top 4, and Murphy is a hell of a guy to add to that mix. Plus, I think Komisarek is better than the player we saw in Toronto so he provides some nice depth.