HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Training Camp is Here!

Old
09-15-2013, 10:57 AM
Teemu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
If Beach and Hayes make a push for a spot (haven't heard Morins name much)

Bickell Toews Kanes
Sharp Saad Hossa
Hayes Shaw Kruger
Beach Handzus Smith

Or

Bickell Toews Kane
Sharp Pirri/Leblanc Hossa
Saad Shaw Kruger
Beach Handzus Hayes
I think--at least to start the year--we can pencil in Handzus at 2C. We'll see how he holds up.

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 11:10 AM
wladyslaw

Re: Shalunov- I don't expect him to make the team. But, what else can this kid do? It appears he can put the puck in the net. Is he fast, agile, good IQ, does he play D? Know he put up great #'s in Russian Jr.

Wouldn't that shake things up if a TT or Shalunov make the team? There appears to be a hell of a fight/competition for the bottom 3-4 spots? And Beach wasn't even a real contender before camp.

wladyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Illinihockey

Would be crazy if TT made the team as 2nd line center

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 11:28 AM
jrc494

Sharp actually finishes a breakaway then teuvo snipes one. Wow teuvo looks good. What a release. 3-2 red.

jrc494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 11:29 AM
helicon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
I think--at least to start the year--we can pencil in Handzus at 2C. We'll see how he holds up.
I think it more likely that after a strong camp/pre-season one of the young guys (Pirri, Leblanc, Saad, whoever) will start opening night at 2C. Sometime in the 2nd period, after their first defensive miscue Handzus will be shifted back there. And not just for one game either. Seems to fit Q's typical MO better. I hope we're both wrong though.

And thanks for the updates jrc.

helicon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 11:37 AM
krazyhawk

Send a message via MSN to krazyhawk
Still think TT stays in Finland for the year.He'll probably come over after Jokerit's season ends like Kruger did.It's Jokerit's last year in the FEL and he would probably like to "finnish" with them,plus there's the WJC and the need to add some more musclemass.The Hawks can afford to wait another year for him so why rush him.

krazyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyhawk View Post
Still think TT stays in Finland for the year.He'll probably come over after Jokerit's season ends like Kruger did.It's Jokerit's last year in the FEL and he would probably like to "finnish" with them,plus there's the WJC and the need to add some more musclemass.The Hawks can afford to wait another year for him so why rush him.
If you're ready, you're ready. It's not rushing. If he's on the roster it's because he deserves it

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 11:42 AM
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting

I think the Hawks are probably more concerned with starting the clock on his ELC than anything else. I agree with Illini though, if he's ready, he's ready.

Kurtosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 11:43 AM
krazyhawk

Send a message via MSN to krazyhawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
If you're ready, you're ready. It's not rushing. If he's on the roster it's because he deserves it
Very true but I still believe the plan is for him to stay in Finland for the year.That said,if he continues to shine at camp like he has and keeps it going thru exhibition games then all bets are off!! Either wat I'm happy knowing the Hawks are only going to get better with the likes of TT,Danault and others joining the club in the next couple of years.It's all good.

Last edited by krazyhawk: 09-15-2013 at 11:52 AM.
krazyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
It's one thing to shine in inter-squad scrimmages than in actual games against other teams.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 11:50 AM
wladyslaw

Quote:
Torn on TT. He is skilled/gifted enough now.

One more year - will be stronger, bigger, and be more aware to elude the cheap shot/check. (which is my biggest fear/concern for him)

Want him now- he will be better with elite guys like 88-81-10-19, they are elite skill/IQ. 10-81 won't be "as elite in 2-3 yrs."

Hearing about TT backchecking- who better to watch and learn from than Hossa?
The entire Hawks team became better at back-checking when 81 started playing for them in 2010!

Old
09-15-2013, 11:51 AM
Kurtosis
Patiently Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
It's one thing to shine in inter-squad scrimmages than in actual games against other teams.
Of course. We'll all get a chance in a couple days to see how his play in practice translates to an actual game.

Kurtosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 12:03 PM
EbonyRaptor

One thing to keep in mind when evaluating TT vs the other players in camp is that unlike the other players, TT has been playing for a few weeks already in the European Trophy games - so he has already knocked the rust off.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 12:15 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus 8m
Teravainen says that while he feels he can play at this level, he could use another year in Finland, playing big minutes, getting stronger.

I don't get the impression he's particularly anxious to play in the NHL. So even if he looks good, the Blackhawks may just want to leave him until he himself feels confident about playing at this level.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Hagged

Wouldn't there also be one year ELC "lost" if he made the team already this season. As he propably wouldn't be as good of a top 6 player as he will become just yet.

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2013, 12:26 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagged View Post
Wouldn't there also be one year ELC "lost" if he made the team already this season. As he propably wouldn't be as good of a top 6 player as he will become just yet.
yes, if he plays this year (more than 9 games) then it burns a year on his elc.

...and this settles things:

Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 7m
The decision to have Teuvo Teravainen return to Finland to play another season has already been made. #Blackhawks

Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 3m
Teuvo Teravainen is scheduled to play in a few #Blackhawks preseason games before he returns to Finland for another season.

^^ it's too bad he won't play *any* NHL games...i.e < 9.

Old
09-15-2013, 12:31 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post

Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 7m
The decision to have Teuvo Teravainen return to Finland to play another season has already been made. #Blackhawks

Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 3m
Teuvo Teravainen is scheduled to play in a few #Blackhawks preseason games before he returns to Finland for another season.

Quote:
ESPN Chicago ‏@ESPNChiHawks
Quenneville says Teravainen is definitely going back to Finland, but he will play in a few preseason games.
So it's pointless to discuss it anymore.

Old
09-15-2013, 12:40 PM
Hagged

Quote:

I think it is a wise decision to not play a guy 9 games in top 6 and then just send him home however he plays. Sending him back is wise asset management even if he was able to make the top 6. And there won't be a risk of him dropping from the line-up and losing a year of his ELC.

But even being able to have this kind of discussion is a positive thing. Teravainen's bust potential seems to be diminishing year after year. If he seems like a fringe top 6 player now, there should be quite small chance of him not making the NHL in his prime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
So it's pointless to discuss it anymore.
Now we can discuss about the decision

Old
09-15-2013, 12:41 PM
wladyslaw

Quote:

Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 7m

Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 3m

That makes life for SB/Q easier too. If TT makes team, and let's say someone else surprises like Beach or Shalunov- where does that put 1 or 2 guys like Smith, Pirr, Hayes, Morin? What a good/tough problem to have.

+ listening to TT- he does seem ok/wanting to stay at home for his own reasons.

Old
09-15-2013, 12:49 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wladyslaw View Post
That makes life for SB/Q easier too. If TT makes team, and let's say someone else surprises like Beach or Shalunov- where does that put 1 or 2 guys like Smith, Pirr, Hayes, Morin? What a good/tough problem to have.

+ listening to TT- he does seem ok/wanting to stay at home for his own reasons.
well, they'll have the same problem next year, too...one would think.

from what i've heard about his play so far from camp...and then factoring in another season playing in finland...it could very well be he won't need any time in rockford and is able to play directly in the nhl.

when does jokerit's season end? i wonder if we see him after that...isn't that what happened with kruger?

Old
09-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Hagged

Quote:
when does jokerit's season end? i wonder if we see him after that...isn't that what happened with kruger?
Last regular season game is March 13th. Jokerit most propably makes the play-offs though. Possible last (7th) final game is April 26th.

Old
09-15-2013, 01:01 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagged View Post
Last regular season game is March 13th. Jokerit most propably makes the play-offs though. Possible last (7th) final game is April 26th.
maybe he will play at IIHF WC after that...one of the hawks scouts said he *might* be invited.

Old
09-15-2013, 01:15 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
maybe he will play at IIHF WC after that...one of the hawks scouts said he *might* be invited.
If Jokerit make it to the finals, he would almost have to be chosen for the team outright as there wouldn't be time to test him much. Worlds begin on May ninth and the last opportunity to test players is during the last Euro Hockey Tour event in Sweden during May 1st and 4th and the team for that is usually chosen while the finals are still going on.

Old
09-15-2013, 01:22 PM
wladyslaw

Quote:
well, they'll have the same problem next year, too...one would think.

from what i've heard about his play so far from camp...and then factoring in another season playing in finland...it could very well be he won't need any time in rockford and is able to play directly in the nhl.

TT will not play in Rockford. He is good enough to play top 6 on Best team in Hockey now! It appears TT - for whatever his reason- has convinced himself that 1 more yr. w/ Jokerit his best.

Hawks will have "less of same problem" next year. Cuz SB/Q will get a chance to see these 3-4 new guys play a lot in NHL- and make much better projection of WHO can play within system and who can't. 3-4 of these New guys will be given 30+ games to ***** NHL abilities. For example, I am not a believer in Pirri for one- perhaps he plays 30-50 games and Hawks don't trust him, decide to trade him for pick next summer?

Most encouraging about TT- his Speed and Back-checking, we know he is a beast on O!

Old
09-15-2013, 01:24 PM
Hagged

Add to that he would have to outplay two of M.Koivu, Lehterä, Kontiola, S.Koivu and Barkov to get that top 6 center spot. It will be hard for Teravainen but it is in realms of possibility. If Jokerit makes it to the finals he will have to break some records to be chosen.