HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread Part 3: Eskies 3-9, I ain't even mad now

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2013, 09:43 PM
Ser Woof
0b11111011000

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Didn't catch that Chiefs-Jaguars game last Sunday, eh?

Terrible teams provide terrible games in both leagues.
No doubt, much easier to single out a game or two in a 32 team league though.

Fact is, ever since the NFL became a more pass oriented league in the early 2000's, it has consistently been more exciting on a week to week basis. I'm as big a CFL fan as anyone but in an eight team league, there are far too many games that are played at a less than professional level.

Old
09-14-2013, 10:57 PM
Tyrolean

vCash: 500
Pretty sure the Bombers will win next game and that should hasten big changes in the off season.

Old
09-14-2013, 11:10 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
No doubt, much easier to single out a game or two in a 32 team league though.
I could have pointed out that gem that took place in the Meadowlands decided on a suspect roughing penalty, or the Pittsburgh-Tennessee barnburner. Percentage wise, I'd say the amount of terrible games is about the same, you'll just always notice one in the CFL because it's the only game on while those NFL games I mentioned were easily avoided due to 7 other decent games being on at the same time.

Old
09-14-2013, 11:46 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Well, went to the game today mostly due to great weather. Figured the Esks couldn't manage to blow this one.

That said we essentially played 1 quarter offensively. Think about it. One TD in 3 quarters of football after the first. If Bombers weren't so absolutely pathetic we find away to make this one close.

Even in the 4th quarter I didn't think this was in the bank yet and was pissed off when Coehoorn blew an esks TD by jumping offside then getting an unsportsmanlike penalty arguing about it. Nice Coehoorn, -50yds on that play and took us out of even FG position. This being the 2nd game in the row btw where due to penalties he's made a 1yds contribution. Why is this guy even on the field. Absolutely useless and I hope somebody starts to have a chat with him about the undisciplined penalties.

As mentioned this team is much different with Bowman in it. Who even missed Koch out there?

Hell Bowman and Stamps is our passing offense any time they are out there together. Routinely Bowman was getting 5yds on zero yds plays. Its literally impossible to stuff this guy for a no gainer.
meanwhile two more times today Coehoorn didn't hit the first down marker, what else is new?

Good performance by the D or the Bombers find their way back in this game. The Esks offence didn't put it away.

Old
09-15-2013, 01:36 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Well, went to the game today mostly due to great weather. Figured the Esks couldn't manage to blow this one.

That said we essentially played 1 quarter offensively. Think about it. One TD in 3 quarters of football after the first. If Bombers weren't so absolutely pathetic we find away to make this one close.

Even in the 4th quarter I didn't think this was in the bank yet and was pissed off when Coehoorn blew an esks TD by jumping offside then getting an unsportsmanlike penalty arguing about it. Nice Coehoorn, -50yds on that play and took us out of even FG position. This being the 2nd game in the row btw where due to penalties he's made a 1yds contribution. Why is this guy even on the field. Absolutely useless and I hope somebody starts to have a chat with him about the undisciplined penalties.

As mentioned this team is much different with Bowman in it. Who even missed Koch out there?

Hell Bowman and Stamps is our passing offense any time they are out there together. Routinely Bowman was getting 5yds on zero yds plays. Its literally impossible to stuff this guy for a no gainer.
meanwhile two more times today Coehoorn didn't hit the first down marker, what else is new?

Good performance by the D or the Bombers find their way back in this game. The Esks offence didn't put it away.
It was Bowman that got flagged for offside on that play, not Coehoorn. And the refs announced the wrong number (what a surprise) on the unsportsmanlike. It was Chambers, not Coehoorn. You almost had your argument for cutting Coehoorn, better luck next time!

Old
09-15-2013, 01:41 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
It was Bowman that got flagged for offside on that play, not Coehoorn. And the refs announced the wrong number (what a surprise) on the unsportsmanlike. It was Chambers, not Coehoorn. You almost had your argument for cutting Coehoorn, better luck next time!
I doubt it. Refs stated 85. I thought it was Coehoorn from watching the play at the game as well. Would be very uncharacteristic of Chambers and very characteristic of Coehoorn who has taken multiple unsportsmanlike penalties this year.

Bowman looked clean on the play. I thought he timed it perfectly.

Old
09-15-2013, 01:42 AM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

Quote:
And now you will be fined $15,000 from the CFL for throwing the player under the bus like that Be careful, they are watching you!

Old
09-15-2013, 04:46 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
I doubt it. Refs stated 85. I thought it was Coehoorn from watching the play at the game as well. Would be very uncharacteristic of Chambers and very characteristic of Coehoorn who has taken multiple unsportsmanlike penalties this year.

Bowman did look clean on the play, or at least what is now defined as on-side. Refs will let receivers jump offside by almost a full yard nowadays, never used to be that way. They did announce #4 as offside though, hard to blame it on somebody else without evidence to the contrary. The TSN crew stated that it was Chambers in some sort of scuffle down the field, and Coehoorn clearly mouthed "it wasn't me" to Reed as he came off the field.

Old
09-15-2013, 10:04 AM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
The Eskies D has been a huge let down this summer.

Reilly really has been great for the last handful of games. If our D ever starts shutting teams down, the Eskies could win a few.
the D has been quite good the last 3-4 games. it's the offense that has been the letdown recently.
For example, the defense shut down Calgary, but the offense blew the last home game.
Offense, Defense, coaching. very seldom have the esks had even 2 of the 3 do well in any one game.

nice to be able to sit in the stands, relax and enjoy a win for a change.
I've enjoyed Rennie Curran on defense. he makes me forget Sherritt even exists.
howard and Thompson have been great, too.
having a healthy Bowman though, is HUGE. the esks finally have two quality receivers.

Old
09-15-2013, 12:15 PM
jadeddog

Quote:

not it was 100% bowman who was offsides... as for the unsportsmanlike, i cannot comment

Old
09-15-2013, 12:17 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
the D has been quite good the last 3-4 games. it's the offense that has been the letdown recently.
For example, the defense shut down Calgary, but the offense blew the last home game.
Offense, Defense, coaching. very seldom have the esks had even 2 of the 3 do well in any one game.

nice to be able to sit in the stands, relax and enjoy a win for a change.
I've enjoyed Rennie Curran on defense. he makes me forget Sherritt even exists.
howard and Thompson have been great, too.
having a healthy Bowman though, is HUGE. the esks finally have two quality receivers.
this is pretty important actually... its been pretty obvious from the pre-season that curran was a legit LB... he has played well enough that if sherritt isn't willing to take a paycut on his massive salary, i'd likely trade/release him

Old
09-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Bowman did look clean on the play, or at least what is now defined as on-side. Refs will let receivers jump offside by almost a full yard nowadays, never used to be that way. They did announce #4 as offside though, hard to blame it on somebody else without evidence to the contrary. The TSN crew stated that it was Chambers in some sort of scuffle down the field, and Coehoorn clearly mouthed "it wasn't me" to Reed as he came off the field.
I was at the game so didn't see the telecast commentary initially. I watched the telecast later. But at the game I did see Coehoorn taunting after the TD even though he never had anything to do with it (and never does) I didn't see Chambers doing anything. Coehoorn was immediately pulled to the bench and did get lectured by Reed so perhaps they are starting to realize he's costing the club. Only one odd comment in the telecast countered that it was Chambers. There was no indication on the field that it was Chambers. The Penalty was taunting, clearly stated, and #85, clearly stated and he was taunting in the endzone after the Bowman TD. I doubt anybody would confuse Coehoorn with Chambers. So not sure how the telecast came up with that. Chambers has zero rep for that kind of thing.

Old
09-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
this is pretty important actually... its been pretty obvious from the pre-season that curran was a legit LB... he has played well enough that if sherritt isn't willing to take a paycut on his massive salary, i'd likely trade/release him
It's just my uninformed opinion, but to me, Curran is a much better defender against the run than Sherritt.

Old
09-15-2013, 06:38 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Wanted to comment on this:

http://www.esks.com/article/eskimos-...e-bizarre-play

It was the play of the game, play of the week, one of the plays of the season. A play that is legendary in nature and the type of thing that you see once in awhile that you remember a decade later with a grin. With several players making heads up in the moment brilliant decisions to make the magical play happen. For instance Willis decision to kick the ball down field is the kind of on field thinking we love about the CFL. Next, Howard managing to keep the ball in play before going out of bounds leading to the TD.

All that magic erased with one arbitrary made up call that Howard had interfered. Watching the play at the game it was clear the Bombers screwed up, pooched the snap back, and Howard was being held onto in his rush to get to the ball. To call joint interference on that play, bring the ball wayback on the play, and actually award Bombers 10yds differential on the play is beyond ridiculous. Really I would love to see these idiots try to be in a press conference and back up such a call.

Of course the players can't comment on that so I will.

**** CFL, I pay to watch the players make great plays on the field several of which happened on this play. Not to watch some group of **** ups defer on the play and come up with another idiotic resolution to the play that actually transpired on the field.

Trained monkeys with slide rulers out there.

Old
09-15-2013, 06:47 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:

It was the play of the game, play of the week, one of the plays of the season. A play that is legendary in nature and the type of thing that you see once in awhile that you remember a decade later with a grin. With several players making heads up in the moment brilliant decisions to make the magical play happen. For instance Willis decision to kick the ball down field is the kind of on field thinking we love about the CFL. Next, Howard managing to keep the ball in play before going out of bounds leading to the TD.

All that magic erased with one arbitrary made up call that Howard had interfered. Watching the play at the game it was clear the Bombers screwed up, pooched the snap back, and Howard was being held onto in his rush to get to the ball. To call joint interference on that play, bring the ball wayback on the play, and actually award Bombers 10yds differential on the play is beyond ridiculous. Really I would love to see these idiots try to be in a press conference and back up such a call.

**** CFL, I pay to watch the players make great plays on the field several of which happened on this play. Not to watch some group of **** ups defer on the play and come up with another idiotic resolution to the play that actually transpired on the field.

And this probably isn't amongst the 20 worst calls of the season to go against us. I was *THIS* close to getting up and walking right out of the stadium after that Cary Koch punt return fumble against the Stampeders that was blatantly a no yards penalty. CFL officiating has always been this bad, but usually it at least evens out. We've been screwed over and over this year though.

Old
09-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
And this probably isn't amongst the 20 worst calls of the season to go against us. I was *THIS* close to getting up and walking right out of the stadium after that Cary Koch punt return fumble against the Stampeders that was blatantly a no yards penalty. CFL officiating has always been this bad, but usually it at least evens out. We've been screwed over and over this year though.
I was amazed they even called back the bomber return that was the benefit of flagrant holding on the return and with the flag on the field early in the return. Before any of the return happened.

Yet there were the officials conferring close to us trying to figure out a way to make the flag go away and call it a TD. It was a lol instant with the exception I was enraged they were intently discussing it.

I was actually yelling "you threw the flag, you threw the flag" as if they would detect that influenced the play substantially.

****, they threw the flag on the play early, everybody saw it, its a null and void play, were they really deliberating on whether to overturn the call and make it a TD?

Speaking of which anybody can find half a dozen TD's opponents have scored against us this year where the flagrant holds leading to long runs are not even detected.

what a joke.

Old
09-15-2013, 07:11 PM
jadeddog

yeah the CFL is a joke, no question about it... its pretty sad when the NCAA reffing is miles and miles and miles better than the CFL reffing... its not even close

and people wonder why not many people take the CFL seriously... if the league can't take *itself* seriously by having full-time refs, then why should anybody else?

Old
09-15-2013, 07:53 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 219
Quote:

That wacky play was definitely the highlight of the game, if not the season.

Old
09-15-2013, 08:34 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
yeah the CFL is a joke, no question about it... its pretty sad when the NCAA reffing is miles and miles and miles better than the CFL reffing... its not even close

and people wonder why not many people take the CFL seriously... if the league can't take *itself* seriously by having full-time refs, then why should anybody else?
Refs deciding games is an epidemic in all three leagues.

Last weeks' San Fran-Green Bay game was influenced due to refs literally not knowing the rules and improperly enforcing offsetting penalties.

Last night Wisconsin got jobbed against Arizona St after the refs inexplicably allowed an ASU player to lay on top of the ball for 10 seconds as clock ran off, preventing the refs from spotting the ball and Wisconsin from attempting the game winning FG.

As bad as it sounds, I'd say NCAA refs are probably better than CFL and NFL refs at the moment. They probably decide the lowest percentage of games.

Old
09-15-2013, 09:07 PM
sundog

Quote:

As much as I can appreciate a good rant like yours, I have to tell you that you are wrong on this play.

1) The Bombers were guilty of interference on a loose ball (the QB waterskiing behind the Willis (I believe) after he kicked the ball

2) The Esks were guilty of the same infraction later in the same play as Howard clocked a Bomber as he neared the loose ball.

3) in this situation, the penalty that happened first is applied first: the Esks are given the option of declining the Bomber penalty (which they wouldn't do as the Bombers would get the ball because of the later penalty)

4) the Bombers are then given the option of declining the Esks penalty; which they wouldn't do because it would give the Esks a TD.

5) The first penalty (against the Bombers) is applied from the point where the ball is at the time of foul, (at this point, the ball was travelling downfield after the Willis kick). The Esks retain possession because of the Bomber penalty 1 and 10.

6) While this was a great play to watch, and I would have loved to have seen the Esks get a TD on the play, the fouls called were legitimate and the application was correct

7) it wasn't a great play by Willis to kick the ball. Had the Bombers recovered the loose ball they would have had a 1 and 10 situation; the kick by Willis interrupted the continuity of downs and the Bombers no longer had to make the yardage to retain possession. Simply recovering the loose ball would have given the Bombers 1 and 10.

Old
09-15-2013, 11:44 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog View Post
As much as I can appreciate a good rant like yours, I have to tell you that you are wrong on this play.

1) The Bombers were guilty of interference on a loose ball (the QB waterskiing behind the Willis (I believe) after he kicked the ball

2) The Esks were guilty of the same infraction later in the same play as Howard clocked a Bomber as he neared the loose ball.

3) in this situation, the penalty that happened first is applied first: the Esks are given the option of declining the Bomber penalty (which they wouldn't do as the Bombers would get the ball because of the later penalty)

4) the Bombers are then given the option of declining the Esks penalty; which they wouldn't do because it would give the Esks a TD.

5) The first penalty (against the Bombers) is applied from the point where the ball is at the time of foul, (at this point, the ball was travelling downfield after the Willis kick). The Esks retain possession because of the Bomber penalty 1 and 10.

6) While this was a great play to watch, and I would have loved to have seen the Esks get a TD on the play, the fouls called were legitimate and the application was correct

7) it wasn't a great play by Willis to kick the ball. Had the Bombers recovered the loose ball they would have had a 1 and 10 situation; the kick by Willis interrupted the continuity of downs and the Bombers no longer had to make the yardage to retain possession. Simply recovering the loose ball would have given the Bombers 1 and 10.
Nice rundown. Thanks. I follow what you wrote but it still seems odd that the Esks after everything is said and done scrimmage at least 10yds back of where the original infraction occurred (The Bomber interfering.) I don't have it PVR'ed but that was way up field from where the Esks ended up with the ball. How could the penalties not just be offsetting in terms of yds? The Esks should have scrimmaged around Center field at worst.

Next, while I was watching the telecast I replayed the play several times and saw no indication of Howard interfering with anybody. I didn't while watching the game either. I don't know that he did anything more than incidentally touch somebody in what was a mutual pursuit for the free ball. Lets be clear here. The bomber got the penalty because he was flagrantly skidooing off the eskimo. I'm still wondering what Howard got flagged for a day later. This was a judgement call that negated a brilliant play.

As far as the kick it was a great play because the ball was kicked well, 40yds, he got all of it, and if it goes out ob bounds its our ball, at worst if it goes back its anybodies ball in poor field position which was more important at that stage of the game then possession.

Finally, lets not forget that if the Eskimo didn't kick the ball, and a Bomber decided to grab it and run with it, or lateral or pass it, whatever, the Bombers could still have got a first down on a broken play. The potential is always there in the wacky CFL for something like that to occur and I've seen things like that happen against the Esks too many times. With the Esks in the lead by a few scores it was big to get the ball downfield at that point through whatever means.

Old
09-15-2013, 11:50 PM
sundog

Quote:
Nice rundown. Thanks. I follow what you wrote but it still seems odd that the Esks after everything is said and done scrimmage at least 10yds back of where the original infraction occurred (The Bomber interfering.) I don't have it PVR'ed but that was way up field from where the Esks ended up with the ball. How could the penalties not just be offsetting in terms of yds? The Esks should have scrimmaged around Center field at worst.

Next, while I was watching the telecast I replayed the play several times and saw no indication of Howard interfering with anybody. I didn't while watching the game either. I don't know that he did anything more than incidentally touch somebody in what was a mutual pursuit for the free ball. Lets be clear here. The bomber got the penalty because he was flagrantly skidooing off the eskimo. I'm still wondering what Howard got flagged for a day later. This was a judgement call that negated a brilliant play.

As far as the kick it was a great play because the ball was kicked well, 40yds, he got all of it, and if it goes out ob bounds its our ball, at worst if it goes back its anybodies ball in poor field position which was more important at that stage of the game then possession.

Finally, lets not forget that if the Eskimo didn't kick the ball, and a Bomber decided to grab it and run with it, or lateral or pass it, whatever, the Bombers could still have got a first down on a broken play. The potential is always there in the wacky CFL for something like that to occur and I've seen things like that happen against the Esks too many times. With the Esks in the lead by a few scores it was big to get the ball downfield at that point through whatever means.
Howard knocked a Bomber over while he was in pursuit of the loose ball. It was a legit call; it wasn't incidental contact.
And there were two separate flags thrown on the play, at different times and at different points on the field. These were not "offsetting" calls that happened at the same time.

Old
09-16-2013, 01:48 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 65
Quote:
Howard knocked a Bomber over while he was in pursuit of the loose ball. It was a legit call; it wasn't incidental contact.
And there were two separate flags thrown on the play, at different times and at different points on the field. These were not "offsetting" calls that happened at the same time.
That was my take as well. Nothing controversial at all IMO.

The refs in this league certainly have been worthy of criticism but not on that play.

Old
09-16-2013, 01:53 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Would love to see a video of the play again showing full angle and the alleged Howard infraction.

Also, still does not explain how the Howard infraction, which I'm assuming must've occurred around Center field, then results in the Eskimos being granted possession on their own 40 after all the smoke was settled.

For the Esks to be pushed back farther than where the alleged Howard infraction occurred despite both penalties being the same seems strange.

Old
09-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:

Not sure I would start calling that play as lofty a heights as you. Game nearly over, and a bunch of guys having some fun doing a chinese fire drill with a ball, kicking it and throwing it around. I've seen far better with some teams on desperation pitchouts on the last play of a clse game. No big deal.

Closed Thread