HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Enough Guff Already!

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2004, 08:32 PM
OYLer

vCash: 500
Enough Guff Already!

It's time for the 'let's write-off this season' crew to shape-up or ship out. Hey, I'm for staying real, but if the Oilers could manufacture the bad luck they've experienced over this last 6 weeks it would be astounding. Their first and last names would be Murphy's L Murphy's. The L of course stands for Law. What could go wrong, did go wrong, and maybe bad luck has become so statistically significant only good luck will affect play over the next 39 games. So can we please try to enjoy this win without all the BS about Tommy letting in soft goals. Plus Horcoff started slow and is now he playing well, can't those that have been hounding him put a muzzle on it for a while?

Plus everybody whose looking to trade away everyone on this team over the age 24 might want to reflect upon that fact that no team ever wins the Stanley Cup with an inexperienced line-up. Plus, MacT, I would appreciate it if we'd let some consistency ooze into the the specialty teams and allows repetition to be become ingrained into the PP! Can we unplug the blender for a while?

Last edited by OYLer: 01-13-2004 at 09:05 PM.
Old
01-13-2004, 10:36 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

That's true. I'm not ready to write off the season yet either.

- We're only two games below .500
- We have a winnable schedule ahead of us (Anaheim, Nashville, Columbus, Dallas, Tampa Bay, Nashville, Colorado, Chicago, LA). There's no reason we can't win at least five of them, although this team HAS surprised me for all the wrong reasons this season
- We're heading towards February and March. Traditionally, our 10 game winning streak comes around this time. (But again this team has been unpredictable)
- Salo is at least half-decent now
- Our defense, PP, and PK is starting to show signs of life

Just a few points to keep optimistic here.

Old
01-13-2004, 10:41 PM
The Rage

As one of the proponents of cutting our losses, I think we can all agree that it's too early to give up. If we're 8 or more points out by the trade deadline, it's time to throw in the towel and think more about the future.

Old
01-13-2004, 11:01 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
As one of the proponents of cutting our losses, I think we can all agree that it's too early to give up. If we're 8 or more points out by the trade deadline, it's time to throw in the towel and think more about the future.
I think we have the luxery of time in thatSmith is just coming back from injury and regardless of what happens we will want to have him in fine playing form for a trade anyways.

Old
01-14-2004, 01:55 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos1
I think we have the luxery of time in thatSmith is just coming back from injury and regardless of what happens we will want to have him in fine playing form for a trade anyways.
With the way Ulanov has played, having Smith in the lineup would give them a pretty defense. If they trade Smith, the return sould be good enough to provide more offense. Trade or no trade, this team will get better with Smith coming back for sure. When is that BTW?

Old
01-14-2004, 02:50 AM
Allan

From Tuesday's Journal:
Quote:
While Smith could return Thursday against Anaheim, the best bet is he'll be ready to go Friday in Nashville against the Predators or Saturday in Columbus against the Blue Jackets.
<LINK href="<LINK rel="nofollow" target=_blank href=" <a>

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam040113/nhl_edm2-sun.html

Last edited by Allan: 01-14-2004 at 02:55 AM.
Old
01-14-2004, 04:59 AM
Mr Sakich

the panthers are a good example of a team that has too many young players. You need some vets to teach the kids. Smith may be available because of his soon to be ufa status but we have to keep guys like smyth, staois, and Ethan around to mentor the kids.

Salo may be available because he isn't a mentor for anyone and he is a little pricey for the unpredictable play he brings.

Old
01-14-2004, 06:12 AM
Obsessed

Salo would be a good mentor for Telequist. Although TO has no room for him. Salo will be let go for nothing at the end of the season or he will resign here for considerably less $$. Either way he isn't getting traded.

Old
01-14-2004, 06:23 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
ya, we are only four points out, and it's insane to think that the Oilers can't make the playoffs. The Coyotes had their nice little run... they'll slip simply because their team isn't playoff caliber IMO. The Kings don't have Palffy, they'll slip as well. So of the rest of the teams ahead of us, who do you guys think is the most likely to fall out of the playoffs? To me there are four teams(in order of likelyhood):
1.Nashville
Not enough skill. Playing decent, but they'll cool off I would wager.
2.Calgary
C'mon it's calgary.... except they are having two good months instead of one this year.
3.Dallas
high priced, lack of drive, a owner who's getting fed up. Modano playing poorly as that "c" on his chest looks heavy.
4.San Jose
Were really low last year, and although Wilson is a good coach, I don't see enough up front after Damphouse and and Marleau. I think they are the least likely cause their depth is pretty impressive.... 10 guys with 15+ points.

Old
01-14-2004, 11:35 AM
Hemsky4PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
ya, we are only four points out, and it's insane to think that the Oilers can't make the playoffs. The Coyotes had their nice little run... they'll slip simply because their team isn't playoff caliber IMO. The Kings don't have Palffy, they'll slip as well. So of the rest of the teams ahead of us, who do you guys think is the most likely to fall out of the playoffs? To me there are four teams(in order of likelyhood):
1.Nashville
Not enough skill. Playing decent, but they'll cool off I would wager.
2.Calgary
C'mon it's calgary.... except they are having two good months instead of one this year.
3.Dallas
high priced, lack of drive, a owner who's getting fed up. Modano playing poorly as that "c" on his chest looks heavy.
4.San Jose
Were really low last year, and although Wilson is a good coach, I don't see enough up front after Damphouse and and Marleau. I think they are the least likely cause their depth is pretty impressive.... 10 guys with 15+ points.
Don't forget about Phoenix. They were in the same boat as the Oilers before Boucher's streak. They've lost two straight now and are definately catchable considering we have 3 games left against them.

I say the playoff picture will remain the same except Dallas will finish 7th and the Oilers 8th. These two teams have the experience that Nashville and Phoenix lack and head to head they will prevail.

Also, Dallas and Edmonton never miss the playoffs without each other.

Old
01-14-2004, 11:48 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

sorry buddy but i dont give a damn about your shape up or ship out comment, everybody on this board is entitled to their opinion regardless if they are right or wrong. no offense intended here but you have been rather critical as well in previous posts about this team.
i stick by my comments about this not being a playoff team, why due to special teams. cmon last night was great but the pp has not been consistent all season. does this mean i dont follow the team no i will die an oiler fan however it is my opinion and if you dont like it, dont bother reading.

Old
01-14-2004, 12:50 PM
Lowetide

hmminvisiblecola said it before I could, that's why this board doesn't need a lot of moderating. Everyone's opinion is welcome.

I hope the team finishes out of the playoffs, but guess what? What I think doesn't amount to a hill of beans, and if the Oilers play as well as they did last night then they have a real shot.

I started a thread a few days ago called '12th with a bullet' and in it is a long look at where this team is, or more accurately, was, 2 games ago. They're 1-1 since, but looked like a million bucks last night. I also mentioned in that thread that IF the Oilers make the playoffs, then it would represent a damn good coaching job by MacT and exceptional play from the team.

I suggest:

-trading Jason Smith before another costly arbitration hearing.
-seeing what might come back in a deal for Salo.
-Same with Oates.
-IF someone overwhelms with an offer, then Brewer might be someone they could look at moving.

Does this post make me unwelcome?

Old
01-14-2004, 12:59 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Does this post make me unwelcome?
Nah, you were unwelcome LONG before...

KIDDING! Just a joke, don't ban me!

You do a great job man, I can tell you're a good dad because you ride that fine line between too lenient and too authoritarian quite well. I imagine your kids might have a differing view, but that's kids for you.

Old
01-14-2004, 01:06 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Nah, you were unwelcome LONG before...

KIDDING! Just a joke, don't ban me!

You do a great job man, I can tell you're a good dad because you ride that fine line between too lenient and too authoritarian quite well. I imagine your kids might have a differing view, but that's kids for you.

Don't tell anyone, but I don't know HOW to ban people.

Old
01-14-2004, 01:24 PM
jadeddog

while i dont think the oilers will make the playoffs this year, ive never siad that it CANT happen..... they could play .600 hockey for the rest of the season and squeak into the playoffs in 8th, though i dont think its likely to happen

i have been one of the biggest, if not *the* biggest critic of salo on this board.... and i will continue to be his biggest critic as long as he plays games like he did against florida every 2nd or 3rd game.... i have added conklin to y ***** list as well for his very bad/inconsistant play over the past couple games..... goaltending is by FAR the most important position on a team, without a good, reliable goalie, a team will be a distinct disadvantage..... ill stop complaining about salo when he puts together 4-5 games that lead me to believe that he has turned it around

Old
01-14-2004, 01:36 PM
Mr Sakich

in the lst 10 games, the oilers gaa is barely over 2. I think 7 of those games were road games soo I think the goaltending/defense has turned it around. Now we need some of our scorers to score a few more goals.

Looking at our sched for the next 7-8 games, we are in good shape. We still have played the toughest sched of any team so far so we are due for some easier games.

Closed Thread