NHL 14 & General Video Game Discussion Part Cinq

Closed Thread

Old
09-14-2013, 12:28 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
EASHL is still incredibly unfair at times. Shots 30-18, we had much better chances yet lose in OT thanks to a bs penalty (tripping, didn't even touch the guy).

The division system is an improvement, sure, but I hate to lose games that we are better in.

Old
09-14-2013, 12:42 PM
StealthClobber
FLYNN LIVES.

Don't get me started on the tripping penalty lol. Tripping on poke checks, slashing on stick lifts (WOW as I'm typing this the AI takes a slashing penalty off of a stick lift. Point proven)

Old
09-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Sharppi
5 more years of Dub.

vCash: 1139
I really needed to take a break on the EASHL, I got quite a bit annoyed. Now I'm still watching as Finland is taking it in the ass from Spain in basketball.

I'll probably go to sauna next and then start losing more in the EASHL. It's so ****ing fun.

Old
09-14-2013, 01:28 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharppi View Post
I really needed to take a break on the EASHL, I got quite a bit annoyed. Now I'm still watching as Finland is taking it in the ass from Spain in basketball.

I'll probably go to sauna next and then start losing more in the EASHL. It's so ****ing fun.
Yeah, we stopped playing two games after you left, since Eki had to go too.

When do you reckon you'll be back? Around 9-10 PM? I'll contact the guys before that so we can get most of the posse together.

Old
09-14-2013, 01:49 PM
Billy Mays Here*
#Yeolo'd Too Hard

vCash: 827
Got the game now and have started building my HUT team. Here's what I got so far:

Havlat - Filppula A - Hemsky C
Hagelin - Legwand - Setoguchi A
Zucker - Granlund - Coyle
Greening - Brodziak - Condra

Kulikov - Faulk
Hjalmarsson - Wideman
Irwin - Potter

Bishop
Scrub goalie

Coach Samuels

Got about 115k from my returning user bonus and still have about 40k left. Time to start working the market.

Old
09-14-2013, 03:57 PM
GMAN23
My grammer lacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here View Post
Got the game now and have started building my HUT team. Here's what I got so far:

Havlat - Filppula A - Hemsky C
Hagelin - Legwand - Setoguchi A
Zucker - Granlund - Coyle
Greening - Brodziak - Condra

Kulikov - Faulk
Hjalmarsson - Wideman
Irwin - Potter

Bishop
Scrub goalie

Coach Samuels

Got about 115k from my returning user bonus and still have about 40k left. Time to start working the market.
Gotta add some Bacon to that D-Line.

Old
09-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Billy Mays Here*
#Yeolo'd Too Hard

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN23 View Post
Fel plays with all Wild players but I don't. Brodin isn't rated quite good enough yet for me to use him, maybe next year (or if he ends up getting a TOTW version this season then I'll probably use him).

Old
09-14-2013, 10:13 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN23 View Post
Agreed. He's pretty good in HUT, too. Stoner... not so much. He always seems to take end of game penalties it's not even funny.

To be honest, overall(s) means nothing in HUT.

My lines as of tonight:

Heatley - Koivu (C) - Pominville
Zucker - Granlund (MN wild card) - Coyle ---> 99 chemistry
Bouchard (MN wild card) - Brodziak - Clutterbuck (MN Wild card)
Cooke - Konopka - Mitchell

Brodin - Ballard
Stoner - Spurgeon (only for chemistry)
Scandella (MN wild card) - Blum

Backstrom
Harding
Drouin-Deslauriers

I'm 23-1-0 so far with this lineup. It helps when you start at 150k pucks though. Now at 85k after everything. I just need Nino, Parise and Suter to complete my collection and 4 Iowa players. I got all jerseys and both logos already.

Old
09-15-2013, 12:02 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

My first line is Zucker - Mitchell - Coyle.

Yeah.

Well, at least I've got Spurgeon. And Ballard. Haven't played a single online game with my line-up, as EASHL pretty much eats up my time.

Old
09-15-2013, 09:12 AM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

AI just somehow took control of my pro and skated an too long shift (3 minutes, half of it with 0 energy), shot a couple of times and ended up getting an second assist.

Old
09-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
#Boudreau4Adams

vCash: 1068
You and your NHL 14 talk..

I thought I'd wait a while, but ****, I think I'll go buy NHL 14 soon

Old
09-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

I was very bored and our EASHL team needed a logo/crest, in addition to the in-game one. Why? Rule of cool.

Old
09-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Wueste

I'm somehow worse at NHL 14 than I was at NHL 13 and it is really annoying. Maybe it's from not having played the series in a long while. I never got into HUT. There isn't much incentive to play difficult CPU games because the return always stinks, and easy CPU games are just going through the motions. Meanwhile playing other people online is an exercise in hoping that your found the one player in a thousand who isn't a D-bag.
I debated whether or not to even purchase this years version, but due to NHL realignment it was pretty much a must if you wanted any sort of accuracy in a GM mode. I do like the small tweaks they made to the game, but I wish they would release it as a DLC update for $20 or $30 instead, since that is really what it is.

Old
09-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wueste View Post
I'm somehow worse at NHL 14 than I was at NHL 13 and it is really annoying. Maybe it's from not having played the series in a long while. I never got into HUT. There isn't much incentive to play difficult CPU games because the return always stinks, and easy CPU games are just going through the motions. Meanwhile playing other people online is an exercise in hoping that your found the one player in a thousand who isn't a D-bag.
I debated whether or not to even purchase this years version, but due to NHL realignment it was pretty much a must if you wanted any sort of accuracy in a GM mode. I do like the small tweaks they made to the game, but I wish they would release it as a DLC update for $20 or $30 instead, since that is really what it is.
360 or PS3? I can play you sometimes if you want an opponent that's not a D-bag. Fel and Fake Billy Mays play NHL 14 on PS3 as well as Sharppi.

Old
09-15-2013, 05:34 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Had an EPIC game in Live the Life just now. I'm playing power forward C, as a 19-year old in Prince Albert Raiders.

3 games left in the regular season, I've had a good season and team's been good. Anyway, we faced Regina Pats, who've been... less than stellar lately, to put it mildly.

After 1st, Pats led 2-0, and were able to pot one more in 29 seconds into the 2nd. Then we scored twice in the middle of the 2nd, with me scoring the second one. They weren't done yet though, replying quickly with two goals before Leon Draisaitl finished off from my assist to make it 5-3 at the end of 2nd.

The 3rd period started with a shocker, as they scored twice AGAIN, and within 1 minute and 15 seconds they had extended their lead to 7-3 on their home ice. At this point, I just focused on hitting in order to intimidate them, but I never lost hope despite the desperate score. And it paid off. Dakota Conroy scored twice within 2 minutes, from my assists, and completed his hatty. Four minutes later, I spotted one of their guys admiring his pass and made him pay, but also had to defend myself in a fight as a result. I won the fight, but my team was down 7-5 with 7 minutes remaining. I knew it would be a tall order for them.

When I got back to the ice, there were 7 SECONDS remaining in the game, and my guys had just scored to make it 7-6. However, the face-off was in the middle, and I had to win it. I did, immediately spurting forward and requesting a pass from the D who delivered it right to my tape as I split their blue line and made a desperate sprint for the net. There was a giant D-man standing in front of me, and I had very little room, but I was able to take the puck backhand-forehand and sniped it short side. Boom, top corner. Not over yet!

So, into the OT we go. 22 seconds into it and I was in the sin bin again, this time for slightly demolishing their D-man behind their net. The problem was that he never got the puck I thought he'd get from the corner, so I got 2 for interference.

I got back halfway through the 5min OT, and to my surprise we were 4 on 3 PP. A minute later, after some offensive pressure, I was able to get myself free from the D with an odd-man rush and, with the last energy that my player had, took a couple of strides, entered the offensive zone, just evaded the D-men and scored forehand-backhand-forehand. My hatty was complete.

In the end, we recovered first from 3-0, 5-2 and 7-3 situations to win it 8-7 in OT. I scored 3+3 which is about 6 points more than I usually do and I did actual fist pumps after the game.

Old
09-15-2013, 05:43 PM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

So if anyone wants to play on Xbox live add White Sampsa, and no its not a white supremacy thing.

Old
09-15-2013, 11:24 PM
tyratoku

****ing A, I suck at Madden 13. Yeah, 13.

I dominate most games(offline, I have yet to play online) and win 30s-10s but I can never throw less than four to six interceptions. It never fails.

Today, I played against the Packers in the NFC conference finals. Threw seven interceptions. Four with my starting QB, three with my back-up after I switched.

I was down 27-13 for a long time, ended up coming back to tie it 27-27 with 1:31 left in the game.

They score on their first play. 34-27. ****.

I score on my next play. 34-34 end of regulation. They win the toss, I can do absolutely nothing to stop them, they win in OT.

Ended up drafting two bossy players in the 1st round afterwards so that helped...until my Xbox froze before I could save. ****.

Old
09-15-2013, 11:47 PM
Avder
Animated to Explode

vCash: 64
Sounds like a lot of rubber-band AI and random number generators that are stacked against the player.

Old
09-15-2013, 11:59 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

I might've overachieved a little on my first (and only) WHL season. As a 19-year old overager, I won the scoring race by about 30 points, potted 20 goals more than anyone else, had over 100 hits more (357) than anyone else during the regular season. Then came the WHL playoffs, and we lost a total of 4 games and won the championship as well as the Memorial Cup later.

I got drafted 1st overall by the Winnipeg Jets. That was the first really unrealistic thing, as Edmonton didn't have the 1st overall pick. I was interviewed by Jets, Flames and Detroit.

One thing I really like about Live the Life: The difference between major junior and NHL is HUGE. I was able to absolutely dominate WHL physically as well as scoring wise, but in the first pre-season game VS Nashville I had "only" 11 hits, of which maybe 2 or 3 were proper, big hits. Had a goal which was quite lucky but otherwise I felt like I belonged in the 3rd line in which I played. Definitely a lot of room for improvement despite getting a good start, and I like the challenge.

Old
09-16-2013, 12:08 AM
tyratoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Sounds like a lot of rubber-band AI and random number generators that are stacked against the player.
Oh, it's ridiculous.

I'll preface this by saying I am to blame for probably 50% or more of my interceptions. I make a ton of boneheaded plays that immediately after throwing, while the ball is in the air, I'll audibly say "Oh ****. Interception."

It's to the point that my girlfriend is always making jokes about it. "Again?" "Really?" and so on

But yes, the rubberband AI is ridiculous. There are plays where they are probably 15-20 yards away from the receiver, I bullet the pass to make it arrive there quicker because I know if I just lob it they'll get there before the ball does, and all of a sudden the defender can run 40MPH and will jump up, one hand catch the ball, and then run 10-15 yards back before being tackled.

Happens at least once, sometimes twice a game. I understand I can't be perfect every game and that I should be challenged and all that, but holy **** there is no reason to arbitrarily force me to get some dumb one or two interceptions a game when I am already throwing 4-5 more.

Old
09-16-2013, 12:18 AM
Avder
Animated to Explode

vCash: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Oh, it's ridiculous.

I'll preface this by saying I am to blame for probably 50% or more of my interceptions. I make a ton of boneheaded plays that immediately after throwing, while the ball is in the air, I'll audibly say "Oh ****. Interception."

It's to the point that my girlfriend is always making jokes about it. "Again?" "Really?" and so on

But yes, the rubberband AI is ridiculous. There are plays where they are probably 15-20 yards away from the receiver, I bullet the pass to make it arrive there quicker because I know if I just lob it they'll get there before the ball does, and all of a sudden the defender can run 40MPH and will jump up, one hand catch the ball, and then run 10-15 yards back before being tackled.

Happens at least once, sometimes twice a game. I understand I can't be perfect every game and that I should be challenged and all that, but holy **** there is no reason to arbitrarily force me to get some dumb one or two interceptions a game when I am already throwing 4-5 more.
Here, read this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...FakeDifficulty

And I apologize for robbing you of the many many hours you will be on that site.

Old
09-16-2013, 05:29 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
#Boudreau4Adams

vCash: 1068
So, just got NHL14. Had to pay 10€ more as the other store didn't have any left.

Puhis, if you need players, I'm available.

Old
09-16-2013, 05:48 AM
Goldmember

I play EASHL a lot but I use xbox360. Any other xboxers here?

Bought the early release seasonticket to NHL14 but lost my mind with the new fight-system. I was pretty much sitting in the penaltybox all the time. I allready decided that I will not buy this crap this year but probably I am gonna change my mind

Old
09-16-2013, 05:55 AM
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
One of our players just asked if it's possible to put points into face-offs.

During the 2nd period.

In a playoff game.

As a center.

Sounds like a traditional finnish center

Old
09-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
So, just got NHL14. Had to pay 10 more as the other store didn't have any left.

Puhis, if you need players, I'm available.
PS3? Excellent. I'm gonna need your PSN ID, and if you want, add me on FB (PM me for name) so I can add you to our FB group.

Closed Thread