HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs lose to the Sabres in Shootout - Tank Mode On.

Old
09-16-2013, 08:52 AM
Nedved

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locks View Post
Drewiske does not need to go to Hamilton. He was signed as a seventh D to be in the pressbox. And Tinordi does not compete with Drewiske because he will either be playing in Hamilton or with the Habs - he competes with someone like Bou. The fact that he is the only player to play back to back gives an indication that he is being looked at very closely.
And someone who thinks Pateryn was just ok please watch the game again if possible. He had a very good game and is closer to the NHL than Nygren who clearly needs some time in Ham to make adjustments.
And I was pleasantly surprised by McCaron - he combination of size, skating and hockey sense look very promising.

Have to agree. Those big guys seem like huge projects, who either boom or bust, and can be found throughout the draft. looked like a huge risk for a 1st rounder.

that said, he was showing much more than size and if he puts it all together, wow, he's going to be good. My only concern is he needs to be stronger with the puck, and crash the net way more, but that will come with time and better line mates, I'm sure.

He's impressive in all 3 zones, in the head. Can't wait to see what he learns in the o.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 08:58 AM
Dagistitsyn

I missed most of the second and all of the third. Really good to see McCarron get some assists on those nice passes. He showed good poise with the puck near the net.

I missed the Kaleta incident but I knew before the game that he would do something stupid. I wish White had have been dressed, he would have jumped him the same way that moron did to Galchenyuk. Prust called him out on his ******** after the game.

Grigo's shootout goal was so nice. Where the hell was Goalberg? The **** MT?

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:05 AM
Cape Bretoner
Sydneyite

Happy Fucale got some action. Looked really good.

That McCarron line was unstoppable lol. McCarron made a few nice plays and skated better than I expected him too. Bournival finished very well. St-Pierre had a good game too.

I really enjoyed the Eller line too. They'll have to be quick lest they get pushed around by bigger defensemen this year. Love how Gallagher battled last night.

I was pleasantly surprised with Reway's game last night. I'm sure he'll have a productive season in Hull with Poirier.

Tinordi had great presence last night. Nice to see a young defensemen who uses their size. He'll be a good one.

I was concerned with Diaz's decision making last night.

Cape Bretoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:06 AM
bsl

Quote:
Drewiske does not need to go to Hamilton. He was signed as a seventh D to be in the pressbox. And Tinordi does not compete with Drewiske because he will either be playing in Hamilton or with the Habs - he competes with someone like Bou. The fact that he is the only player to play back to back gives an indication that he is being looked at very closely.
And someone who thinks Pateryn was just ok please watch the game again if possible. He had a very good game and is closer to the NHL than Nygren who clearly needs some time in Ham to make adjustments.
And I was pleasantly surprised by McCaron - he combination of size, skating and hockey sense look very promising.
Logic. The fact that Tiny is getting looked at very closely is not good, it's bad.

I question his intelligence. With his size, and growing up steeped in Hockey, trained every day the last 18 years by his controlling dad, he should be better. I mean FFS what does it take?

Come on, if Tinordi does not start with habs, there is a problem. WTF does the guy need? A hug from mommy?

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:11 AM
HCH

Quote:
I agree 100%... simple game, few mistakes and he has a shot from the point that seems to find the net more often than not.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:14 AM
Treb

vCash: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Logic. The fact that Tiny is getting looked at very closely is not good, it's bad.

I question his intelligence. With his size, and growing up steeped in Hockey, trained every day the last 18 years by his controlling dad, he should be better. I mean FFS what does it take?

Come on, if Tinordi does not start with habs, there is a problem. WTF does the guy need? A hug from mommy?
What are you going on about?

Since when 21 yo late first round pick are expected to make the team or bust? He was good during his time here last year and is getting better.

Treb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon

Ok. My evaluation of the game:

The ones who I was impressed with:

- Michael McCarron: Wow. This monster has some serious hands. Showed some good positional game in the offensive zone as well and already looks very, very hard to counter along the boards. Had 5 hits, but left the impression of attempting more than that. He's already rock solid... I don't remember the name, but one player tried to hit him in the 3rd just to bounce on him and fall on his back. I definitely see much more where Grant is coming from now with this guy. A memorial cup campaign with the Knights and some tough love from the Hunter is going to do wonders for him. With a late 1st rounder spent on a project, this is the kind of project we HAD to take. Seeing him and Tinordi out there at the same time was orgasmic.

- Greg Pateryn: Said he'd be more physical, and he lives up to his promise thus far. Noticeably more mobile, and winning all of his 1-on-1 battles along the boards. The 3 assists are just pure bonus. I loved his game.

- Michael Bournival: I'm not even going to talk about both of his goals; this kid is STRONG. It's so obvious out there just watching him on the TV. Wins one-on-one after one-on-one. A threat to watch. Reminds me of Chris Kelly in a lot of ways.

- Jarred Tinordi, version 1st period. That period, Tinordi showed us what he has the potential to become. He was amazing, a pain to play against, and noticeably physical. THAT BEING SAID, the last 2 periods and the overtime period, he was considerably less implicated in the play. Which happens in the beginning of the season. But I think in those last two periods, he ruined a very good opportunity to get miles ahead of a very good Pateryn in the depth chart. It's as if they switched their jerseys as the game went on.

The ones I was not impressed with:

- Martin Reway: Way too one-dimensional, and as Grant said, he is a puck hog more often than not out there. Nearly got decapitated by tough guy Steve Ott out there too.

- Rafael Diaz: Seriously. WTF Calisse?! Already not physical, he also was very soft WITH the puck. With two seasons in the NHL under his belt, I was looking at him and comparing his game to Nygren, since he was the most similar D in style on the lineup yesterday. Some might say he's a veteran taking it easy, but the way he ended last season, I was hoping for something more than this. To me, Nygren was just as good and looked like the vet on the PP. Not a fan, never will be.

Random observations:

- Man. This St. Pierre guy is shifty.

- Collberg is more solid on his feet than what I anticipated. It shows that he's used to playing against men.

- Patrick Holland looks like he got bigger, and he is noticeably more physical than what I saw last season.

- In opposite to what someone said here, Galchenyuk looks definitely more involved in the play than last season.

- Andrighetto is intriguing.

Son Oncle Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:04 AM
dreamingofdrouin*

Bournival surprised me. I thought his first goal was a fluke...then he scored again and started to get my attention and it seemed like he played with even more intensity after that..like he really wanted that 3rd one...good hands.

Mccarron surprised me as well....he is definitely not just another mike blunden...he's got good skating, alot quicker than I thought he'd be for his size, and he's got some skills with the puck as well.

Martin Reway knocked my socks off. I had no idea who this guy was when we drafted him, nor that his name was pronouned, Riv-eye, but what a set of hands and skating ability..god damn.

Tinordi is almost ready to make the jump as well....he was fantastic...man he can hit.

Gallagher seems eve better. So does gally and eller. What a third line.

dreamingofdrouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
He's already rock solid... I don't remember the name, but one player tried to hit him in the 3rd just to bounce on him and fall on his back.
IIRC, it was Henrik Tallinder, who is not a small man (6'4", 210 lbs). He just bounced off McCarron.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:27 AM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
IIRC, it was Henrik Tallinder, who is not a small man (6'4", 210 lbs). He just bounced off McCarron.
Yeah, there were two points where I lol'd watching the game. Tallinder bouncing off of McCarron and someone else trying to run into Eller behind the net and just getting flattened.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:29 AM
ScottFC

Was at the game and I found the players that were the most involved were Bournival and Tinordi. I was very impressed by Bournival compared to last time I saw him play.

McCaron and Reway also played very good but they still have a long road before they can become effective in the NHL.

Last edited by ScottFC: 09-16-2013 at 10:34 AM.
ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:30 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFC View Post
Was at the game and I found the players that were the most involved were Biurni al and Tinordi. I was very impressed by Bournival compared to last time I saw him play. .
When auto-correct attacks! Next on Fox.

Jokes aside, he looked great out there. He has a nose for the net.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:36 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I wouldn't put much of any stock into a preseason game but was most impressed with McCarron. Tinordi played well but really hope he improves his lower body strength in the future. Also was suprised with Holland who looks like he's filled out some and was actually involved physically.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I wouldn't put much of any stock into a preseason game but was most impressed with McCarron. Tinordi played well but really hope he improves his lower body strength in the future. Also was suprised with Holland who looks like he's filled out some and was actually involved physically.
Thanks. I thought I was the only one to notice it, but it's great to validate my opinion and to find out I'm not alone to have thought that.

Son Oncle Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:42 AM
JAVO16

Quote:

Where the **** in your twisted mind did that opinion come from ?

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:45 AM
CaptCrunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
I haven't seen enough of Kane play to make a comparison but I saw a lot of Oleg Petrov play and that's who I see when Reway has the puck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuQGiwdAprA

Too bad I can't find any old footage of Petrov playing for the Habs...
Ah Petrov! The player that was so good he succeeded more often than not in deking his own socks off. (I still say "Il vient de faire un Petrov" when a player loses the puck in a maneuver in which his hands cannot follow his own feets)

I don't know why, Reway reminds me of a young Maxim Afinogenov with his waterbug way of playing.

Dany Dubé compared McCaron with Keith Primeau. I guess I prefer's Dubé's projection than Gaston Therrien's Turner Stevenson (Turner Stevensson? What's next? Projecting Tinordi as a future Popovic?)

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 11:01 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Well that's certainly random as hell.
Well we lost right? Aren't we supposed to fire him when this happens?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

Not sure I follow you.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 11:09 AM
Rosso Scuderia

I really liked Tinordi's game.

Makes me wonder what would be better for his development?

Playing 22+ minutes in Hamilton on the top pair in Hamilton or playing with the big club on the bottom pair and gain more NHL experience?

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Not sure about Gagne and I really don't see the fit on this team

I heard there being like 4 or 5 scouts from around the league
Wonder who they're watching.... maybe we'll end up making room for a rookie.

Draft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 11:22 AM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
I really liked Tinordi's game.

Makes me wonder what would be better for his development?

Playing 22+ minutes in Hamilton on the top pair in Hamilton or playing with the big club on the bottom pair and gain more NHL experience?
As much as I liked his game, I still see some consistency issues and I want him to play 25+ minutes in Hamilton, for at least 20-30 games. Perhaps even getting more time to continue working on his passing and shooting skills that impressed me, the guy could be worth so much if he can bring some offense (20-30 pts a season, and some 2nd PP wave in the NHL).

IMO he will soon put Gorges job in danger, especially if he doesn't step up from last season level...

Last edited by Forsead: 09-16-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 11:45 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treb View Post
What are you going on about?

Since when 21 yo late first round pick are expected to make the team or bust? He was good during his time here last year and is getting better.
seriously. D have longer learning curves to begin with.

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
As much as I liked his game, I still see some consistency issues and I want him to play 25+ minutes in Hamilton, for at least 20-30 games. Perhaps even getting more time to continue working on his passing and shooting skills that impressed me, the guy could be worth so much if he can bring some offense (20-30 pts a season, and some 2nd PP wave in the NHL).

IMO he will soon put Gorges job in danger, especially if he doesn't step up from last season level...
How did you come with >20-30 games?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
How did you come with >20-30 games?
Well the time for injuries to strikes on the big club and similar to Pacioretty last AHL development time in 2010-2011. Enough time to really learn and improve. It could be much more though.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 12:02 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Well we lost right? Aren't we supposed to fire him when this happens?
how's the honeymoon going Mrs. Price?

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote