HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nothing is more frustrating then being a Habs Fan in BC

Old
11-19-2006, 01:34 AM
trbr86

vCash: 500
Well, perhaps. But, I really felt bad when I tripped that Leafs fan carrying her groceries.

trbr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 01:41 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickShift View Post
I spat on a Habs fan today.

Sorry takip. Nothing personal.
are you sure that wasn't Jan Bulis?

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 01:50 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

I live in Edmonton, and I am very lucky to have access to RDS. The last two seasons, I have been able to watch most games, and keep up with this team on a regular basis. I watch Sports 30 instead of Sportscentre, and watch the Canadiens pregame show with Crete and Demers.

However, I must admit that I feel let down by the RDS/SRC decision not to broadcast the games in French to the national audience on Saturday nights. I grew up during the 1990s, and that was my main access to Canadiens games. I really feel bad for one of my family's friends, who is a senior. We used to watch games together in the early 90s on Saturday nights, and I saw him earlier tonight. He mentioned that he was unable to watch the Canadiens this year on a regular basis, because SRC doesn't show the games anymore. This is a man who has supported the team since the 1960s, when he moved to Canada, and I feel absolutely terrible for him. I told him about RDS, and he is going to look into it. I hope for his sake that he can get access to it.

I also feel bad for some other friends who are Canadiens fans, and who can't access the games. One of my good friends (a poster on this site) is a hardcore fan who doesn't have RDS, so he can't watch the games. I feel terrible for him, since this was something that we did every Saturday night while growing up, and now we are unable to do it.

This whole issue has made me appreciate the Canadiens even more, if you know what I mean. Because I live in Western Canada, I now view the Canadiens as an exotic breed almost, that you rarely get to see unless you pay extra. The games that I do get to watch are in a different language! The mainstream Canadian media, like the Score, TSN and Sportsnet hardly treat Montreal like a Canadian city even (does theScore even have a Montreal reporter? Michael Whalen and Louis Jean rarely get airtime on their sports programs). Even on HNIC, the Canadiens are only shown when they face the Leafs or the Sens, and are excluded on nights like tonight, where one of the greatest talents in the league had his jersey retired (and Don Cherry had the odacity to not even know what was going on... he mentioned that he was "going into the HHOF or something...? or is he having his jersey retired.. or something like that."). For a national broadcaster, CBC does a terrible job at representing the country's interests at times. It almost seems sometimes that Manchester United (who I watch on a regular basis) is more of a local team than the Montreal Canadiens, who are losing ground in Western Canada with the decision made by SRC/RDS to not simulcast the games on Saturday nights.

On the CBC website a few years ago, they had a FAQ for HNIC. Somebody asked, "Why are the Toronto Maple Leafs games shown every week." The person who replied mentioned market size, advertisers, etc.. But he also mentioned that they don't show Canadiens games because "French CBC takes care of that." I wonder whether CBC will change their stance now that that last statement is no longer true. I hope that Bell Globe Media wins the rights for HNIC during the next round of negotiations, and they decide to open up 3 or 4 channels of HNIC where you can pick the game you want. Technology and media are changing at such a fast pace that it wouldn't surprise me if one day a company like CTV gave you the choice of what game you wanted to watch on a Saturday night. I don't believe in CBC in implementing technology like that, so that's why I am pulling for Bell/Globe Media to win the bid.

Last edited by Tricolore#20: 11-19-2006 at 01:56 AM.
Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 01:57 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
I live in Edmonton, and I am very lucky to have access to RDS. The last two seasons, I have been able to watch most games, and keep up with this team on a regular basis. I watch Sports 30 instead of Sportscentre, and watch the Canadiens pregame show with Crete and Demers.

However, I must admit that I feel let down by the RDS/SRC decision not to broadcast the games in French to the national audience on Saturday nights. I grew up during the 1990s, and that was my main access to Canadiens games. I really feel bad for one of my family's friends, who is a senior. We used to watch games together in the early 90s on Saturday nights, and I saw him earlier tonight. He mentioned that he was unable to watch the Canadiens this year on a regular basis, because SRC doesn't show the games anymore. This is a man who has supported the team since the 1960s, when he moved to Canada, and I feel absolutely terrible for him. I told him about RDS, and he is going to look into it. I hope for his sake that he can get access to it.

I also feel bad for some other friends who are Canadiens fans, and who can't access the games. One of my good friends (a poster on this site) is a hardcore fan who doesn't have RDS, so he can't watch the games. I feel terrible for him, since this was something that we did every Saturday night while growing up, and now we are unable to do it.

This whole issue has made me appreciate the Canadiens even more, if you know what I mean. Because I live in Western Canada, I now view the Canadiens as an exotic breed almost, that you rarely get to see unless you pay extra. The games that I do get to watch are in a different language! The mainstream Canadian media, like the Score, TSN and Sportsnet hardly treat Montreal like a Canadian city even (does theScore even have a Montreal reporter? Michael Whalen and Louis Jean rarely get airtime on their sports programs). It almost seems sometimes that Manchester United (who I watch on a regular basis) is more of a local team than the Montreal Canadiens, who are losing ground in Western Canada with the decision made by SRC/RDS to not simulcast the games on Saturday nights.
bingo, you hit right there.

the most concerning part is that the habs fanbase is going to slowly erode on a national basis.

I dont really blame the mainstream media though. The networks you listed are private companies. I understand that the habs dont do much for english canada in terms of ratings.

There is a certain "public" (and I use that term loosely) company that I cannot forgive, however

Old
11-19-2006, 02:14 AM
Adam91

GET DIGITAL CABLE!!!

I finally convinced my dad and its the best thing thats ever happened.

Like you the only games I would get to watch would be the nationaly televised ones but now I get to see every single game!!!

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 09:53 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Why is it CBC's responsibility to grow the Montreal fanbase. That's Montreal's responsibility, and if they thought it was necessary to simulcast french games on SRC to the rest of Canada, they would subsidize SRC to do it.

Noone was watching. Public broadcaster or not, CBC still has to collect revenue from advertising, otherwise the whole thing would be funded by our tax dollars.

HNIC is CBC's only serious revenue. I recall reading there that the advertising revenue from HNIC is more than 2 days worth of regular advertising. I know noone can get it in their head, but there are more Leafs fans than Habs fans, especially in English-speaking markets. Imagine CBC is only broadcasting to English-speaking Canadian residents. How can you possibly think that more people will watch a Habs game in that case, when (at least) 50% of the Montreal fanbase primarily speaks French?

Advertisers pay based on how many people are watching, so getting the highest ratings is the only thing CBC (or any other network, for that matter) should be thinking about.

11-19-2006, 09:59 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
why are we even talking about ratings? This is a public broadcaster after all... at least, its supposed to be

The CBC gets their cake and eats it too. They take our money... and operate like a private business. What a deal!
Because ratings represent the amount of people watching. And the amount of people watching is the amount of Canadians watching. And the more Canadians watching, the more the network is representing Canadian interests with a Canadian product. And that's what CBC wants: a Canadian product generating Canadian interest.

The CBC makes money on HNIC. If it wasn't for HNIC and its popularity, it would require more funding. So it's not getting its cake and eating it too; it's requiring you to spend less money by showing the Leafs on Saturday instead of the Habs.

And you and everyone else has plenty of alternatives to watch Montreal play.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 11:10 AM
habs86

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
i understand the frustration of my fellow posters, that live outside Montreal. I live in Saskatchewan and it is hard also to catch Habs games, I for one do not get RDS or any other channel besides TSN,Sportnet.

I grew up in Montreal and caught every single friggin game, and if I wanted to I would hope the metro and go buy tickets for any game i wanted.

So I am so understanding to lots of the comments here today. All that can be said I think right now is :

GO HABS GO

habs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 11:43 AM
skidboot

I'm on BellExpressVu and I think it is a joke that at 7PM on a Saturday Night I have to watch the Leafs. Even on CBC Montreal they have the Leafs game on.

CBC Ottawa has the Sens game on....

skidboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 11:46 AM
skidboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
What are you complaining about? I pay for the same services you do and get to watch only Leaf games on CBC even if I live two km away from the Bell Center.

Canada is the greateast Country.... weah!

lol.
maybe I should consider going to a different provider!!!

Old
11-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Kafka

What are you complaining about? I pay for the same services you do and get to watch only Leaf games on CBC even if I live two km away from the Bell Center.

Canada is the greatest Country.... yeah!

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 01:28 PM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidboot View Post
I'm on BellExpressVu and I think it is a joke that at 7PM on a Saturday Night I have to watch the Leafs. Even on CBC Montreal they have the Leafs game on.

CBC Ottawa has the Sens game on....

You have a Sat dish, you're a Habs fan, and you aren't subscribed to RDS?

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post

Canada is the greatest Country.... yeah!
So if CBC (which is showing the Habs 17 Saturdays this year, which is a lot more than usual, so it's a beginning) had the Habs on last night, you would have watched CBC?

Ah, it must be the Cherry fan in you.

Old
11-19-2006, 01:49 PM
BLONG7

Isn't CBC losing HNIC after this season?

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2006, 05:47 PM
Habs

Could be worse. The NDP could still be running the province.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
lets not even go there

you are opening a whole new can of worms

Old
11-20-2006, 12:17 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Because ratings represent the amount of people watching. And the amount of people watching is the amount of Canadians watching. And the more Canadians watching, the more the network is representing Canadian interests with a Canadian product. And that's what CBC wants: a Canadian product generating Canadian interest.

The CBC makes money on HNIC. If it wasn't for HNIC and its popularity, it would require more funding. So it's not getting its cake and eating it too; it's requiring you to spend less money by showing the Leafs on Saturday instead of the Habs.

And you and everyone else has plenty of alternatives to watch Montreal play.
And how much money did the CBC rake from us while competing for olympic rights?

Why is a public company competing against private industries for a product like the olympics or the World Cup?

Imagine PBS in the US competing for the olympic rights against NBC

Old
11-20-2006, 12:21 AM
Mike8

Quote:
And how much money did the CBC rake from us while competing for olympic rights?
Uhm, the Olympics is a major money-maker for the CBC.

Quote:
Why is a public company competing against private industries for a product like the olympics or the World Cup?

Imagine PBS in the US competing for the olympic rights against NBC
PBS and the CBC have different mandates and are entirely different stations with different objectives in vastly different market places. I don't see how this is a proper comparison.

The CBC has a lengthy history of providing sports in a traditionally quality, familiar format to Canadians. The CBC has, in general, been very good in this regard. Sports have also garnered good ratings for the CBC which has resulted in less money needed from the public to keep the station afloat. I don't see the problem: Canadian content on a channel dedicated for Canadians, popular enough to make money so that Canadians don't need to spend as much on the station to keep it running. Seems like a win all-around to me.

Old
11-20-2006, 01:29 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Uhm, the Olympics is a major money-maker for the CBC.

PBS and the CBC have different mandates and are entirely different stations with different objectives in vastly different market places. I don't see how this is a proper comparison.

The CBC has a lengthy history of providing sports in a traditionally quality, familiar format to Canadians. The CBC has, in general, been very good in this regard. Sports have also garnered good ratings for the CBC which has resulted in less money needed from the public to keep the station afloat. I don't see the problem: Canadian content on a channel dedicated for Canadians, popular enough to make money so that Canadians don't need to spend as much on the station to keep it running. Seems like a win all-around to me.
and where does that profit made from the olympics go?

I'm not doubting you that they make money on that but that's contrary to what I heard at least on recent olympics anyways.

If HNIC goes to a private industry, I whont whine about this. But I expect a more fair representation from the CBC. And if its not feasible, well, that's too bad... they shouldn't have the rights in the first place. It will be interesting to see where the CBC sports department end up in the next 10 years or so.

I make the PBS comparison because I believe they represent a true public broadcaster.

Old
11-20-2006, 09:17 AM
skidboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post

LOL.

I still hate the fact that Expressvu is showing the Leafs on CBC Montreal.

and, no.....I won't get RDS.....I'm a cheap SOB.

Old
11-20-2006, 09:53 AM
shutehinside

Maybe I'm worng, but I think I remember a time when I was a kid that CBC would play all or nearly all Canadians games, if only in the CBC East (Montreal) region. I'm not sure, but I really don't remember seeing this in the 80's and 90's where all the games it seems are the Leafs vs xxx across Canada. I also fondly remember Dick Irving in the broadcast and Harry Neale, it was like Montreal vs. Toronto in the broadcast booth as well..... AH the good ol' days.
Now all Montreal has to do is becom an elite team so CBC won't have a choice to broadcast more Habs games coast to coast.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 11:05 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidboot View Post
I still hate the fact that Expressvu is showing the Leafs on CBC Montreal.

and, no.....I won't get RDS.....I'm a cheap SOB.
So listen to it on the radio (via internet). That's absolutely free, considering you're already paying for internet to post here.

And you even get to watch 17 games on CBC and some others on TSN (which I assume you get as part of your basic package).

There you go.

If you truly, truly cared about watching all Habs games, you'd shell out the few bucks a month. Obviously, this is not the case.

Old
11-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Maybe I'm worng, but I think I remember a time when I was a kid that CBC would play all or nearly all Canadians games, if only in the CBC East (Montreal) region. I'm not sure, but I really don't remember seeing this in the 80's and 90's where all the games it seems are the Leafs vs xxx across Canada. I also fondly remember Dick Irving in the broadcast and Harry Neale, it was like Montreal vs. Toronto in the broadcast booth as well..... AH the good ol' days.
Now all Montreal has to do is becom an elite team so CBC won't have a choice to broadcast more Habs games coast to coast.
You're right....... they cut back in the late 90s when the Habs started losing a lot and CBC was making budget cuts all over the place. We went from every Saturday night down to about 5-6 a season.

This year they've got 17 Saturday games on the sched featuring Montreal (at least on CBC Montreal), so that's a step in the right direction.

Old
11-20-2006, 11:32 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealer View Post
If you truly, truly cared about watching all Habs games, you'd shell out the few bucks a month. Obviously, this is not the case.
This is not even necessary. Last year I spent much of the time away from Montreal and did not have access to Hab games. So I found a site that has Montreal games available for download. I didn't miss any Montreal games as a result. Simple free solution that I've posted about many times on this forum.

There are so many alternatives that people can seek to watch Montreal games that I've come to the conclusion that most prefer to complain than solve their problem(s).

Old
11-20-2006, 12:01 PM
mcphee

Quote:
This is not even necessary. Last year I spent much of the time away from Montreal and did not have access to Hab games. So I found a site that has Montreal games available for download. I didn't miss any Montreal games as a result. Simple free solution that I've posted about many times on this forum.

There are so many alternatives that people can seek to watch Montreal games that I've come to the conclusion that most prefer to complain than solve their problem(s).
I added RDS to my bell exp. package. Until last year, in rural eastern Ont. I could get Mtl games on SRC. I can afford RDS, for what I pay extra, it's easily woth it. My daughter lives in Mtl and can't afford any extra television service. She gets what comes in when she plugs in her TV. No matter how it's explained, it gets deeply under my skin that on many a Saturday night she'll get a Toronto game when she turns on the television.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote