*OFFICIAL* Mississauga Steelheads 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2013, 02:32 PM
superspitfan99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
Are they holding an autograph signing or open practise? I'd like to get a Spencer Martin card signed.
If you are at a home game, if you go down below afterwards, the guys are usually pretty good about signing autographs as they leave. Last year the genius management held a signing almost at the end of the season and on a night where the team had to get on a bus right after the game to go to Ottawa! Hopefully they get it together this year and do something at the beginning of the season. As well, they did do a BBQ last year and signing before the season started for Season Ticket Holders I believe. Not sure if that's happening again this year.

Old
09-06-2013, 08:32 AM
flyersfan7

How does the goaltending situation look for the year?

Old
09-09-2013, 08:54 AM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan7 View Post
How does the goaltending situation look for the year?
Was at the exhibition game this weekend and....well, let's just say Martin better be on his game for every one of them and not get hurt at all this season. Not much in the bullpen so it seems.

Old
09-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheads101 View Post
Was at the exhibition game this weekend and....well, let's just say Martin better be on his game for every one of them and not get hurt at all this season. Not much in the bullpen so it seems.
How has Thomas Welsh looked, better than after he signed late last year?

Old
09-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
How has Thomas Welsh looked, better than after he signed late last year?
Haven't seen him at any scrimmages or exhibition games. My guess is they cut ties. I don't mind that at all. Was never really impressed with what he accomplished in the OHL.

Old
09-11-2013, 03:21 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
Haven't seen him at any scrimmages or exhibition games. My guess is they cut ties. I don't mind that at all. Was never really impressed with what he accomplished in the OHL.
Apparently he just didn't show up to camp. I would assume that he just quit. It's not like the team released him.

Old
09-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Apparently he just didn't show up to camp. I would assume that he just quit. It's not like the team released him.
Wow, shocked after all the back and forth with Sarnia, Penn State, etc.

Old
09-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Torts

Quote:
Wow, shocked after all the back and forth with Sarnia, Penn State, etc.
After his play last year I'm not shocked. I'm more excited to have DiTomaso in the lineup. Welsh only really brought a physical game. Not real reliable on either ends of the ice.

Old
09-12-2013, 11:40 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
After his play last year I'm not shocked. I'm more excited to have DiTomaso in the lineup. Welsh only really brought a physical game. Not real reliable on either ends of the ice.
That was a very miniscule showing. He came into the season at a disadvantage coming in December. He can definitely play in the OHL, he needed to improve on his skating most definitely but he had an edge physically. Sarnia wanted him, but honestly the fact that he didn't come to the OHL in year one, he should've just stayed with the NCAA route.

Old
09-13-2013, 06:27 AM
Torts

Quote:
That was a very miniscule showing. He came into the season at a disadvantage coming in December. He can definitely play in the OHL, he needed to improve on his skating most definitely but he had an edge physically. Sarnia wanted him, but honestly the fact that he didn't come to the OHL in year one, he should've just stayed with the NCAA route.
If the case is he did not show up then technically we still own his rights. If he decides to come back. We could potentially deal him.

He tweeted this earlier in the week. Not sure who he's playing with.

Thomas Welsh ‏@thomas_welsh 11 Sep
Looking forward to the first home game next friday vs. Laurier

Old
09-13-2013, 11:05 AM
superspitfan99

QUOTE=Torts;71066523]If the case is he did not show up then technically we still own his rights. If he decides to come back. We could potentially deal him.

He tweeted this earlier in the week. Not sure who he's playing with.

Thomas Welsh ‏@thomas_welsh 11 Sep
Looking forward to the first home game next friday vs. Laurier[/QUOTE]

Sounds like he's playing University hockey? From what I heard he needed an attitude adjustment!

Old
09-14-2013, 04:58 PM
NHL Fanatic

North Bay deals Bryson Cianfrone to the Steelheads for a 3rd round pick in 2014.

Old
09-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Torts

Quote:
North Bay deals Bryson Cianfrone to the Steelheads for a 3rd round pick in 2014.
I loved the way he played with the 95 marlies. Heard he's been less effective the past couple seasons so I'm excited to see what he can bring to our top 9 forwards.

Old
09-14-2013, 08:03 PM
Steel Toe

Quote:
I loved the way he played with the 95 marlies. Heard he's been less effective the past couple seasons so I'm excited to see what he can bring to our top 9 forwards.
I'm too excited to see what he brings to the Steelheads team, I've seen this kid play with the Toronto Jr Canadians 2 years ago as a underager. Let me tell u I was impressed with what I saw , he is in the smaller side but he competes and is a gamer . He reminds me of a Michael Cammalleri type of player .
Great skater and vision and smart defensive . I'm surprised when I read his name in this trade since he was commuted to Michigan 2 yrs ago. Coach Nobili coached him 2 yrs ago with the
Toronto Jr . Canadians so that's the leak between the two. Time will tell , but if he plays it would be bonus... :

Old
09-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Phenomenal pickup. Tremendous skill-set. I haven't seen him since his Minor Midget year with the Marlies, but back in his OHL draft year I thought he was the most skilled forward available.

Old
09-16-2013, 12:52 AM
herbst20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Phenomenal pickup. Tremendous skill-set. I haven't seen him since his Minor Midget year with the Marlies, but back in his OHL draft year I thought he was the most skilled forward available.
He does have a good skill set but his progression has dropped off. I have watched him for the last year in Cedar Rapids. Rumor is that Michigan was jerking him around. First pushing him back from a 2013 to 2014 commit. Then I have heard but not confirmed that they were cutting his scholarship $$. Combine this with being from Stoney Creek, he will get to play in front of his family a hell of a lot more.

Old
09-16-2013, 07:27 AM
Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbst20 View Post
He does have a good skill set but his progression has dropped off. I have watched him for the last year in Cedar Rapids. Rumor is that Michigan was jerking him around. First pushing him back from a 2013 to 2014 commit. Then I have heard but not confirmed that they were cutting his scholarship $$. Combine this with being from Stoney Creek, he will get to play in front of his family a hell of a lot more.
What do you think he can contribute to a team at the OHL level?

Old
09-16-2013, 09:51 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
I agree. Was the heart of the Marlies. I thought he was a 1st rd pick. He is so badly needed, there isn't even a 2nd line center on the team.

Old
09-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Too bad that a lot of kids don't realize that this happens a lot more than most expect!

Old
09-16-2013, 12:23 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Too bad that a lot of kids don't realize that this happens a lot more than most expect!
Unconfirmed rhetoric....getting "jerked" around happens everywhere in all leagues.

P.S. I KNOW for a fact he was moved quickly from the Blades because previous GM of OJHL got fed up with mom's demands for ice time for her 16 year old. Who knows if this also didn't contribute to lack of success since leaving minor midget marlies.....again, speculation.

Hopefully he has found a home and steps up.

Old
09-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Unconfirmed rhetoric....getting "jerked" around happens everywhere in all leagues.
Absolutely, I just wanted to point out that even though you have a NCAA scholarship offer that it can always be "put on hold", downgraded or withdrawn entirely. Ive known of a player who had an NCAA offer and didn't go the CHL route and when he ready to join the scholarship was downgraded that it wasn't worth his while. He was also too late for him to grab a OHL opportunity.

Old
09-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
What do you think he can contribute to a team at the OHL level?
Unless he's seriously regressed, 2nd line minimum. I think anyone who saw him regularly with the Marlies can say his overall skill-set compares favorably with Max Domi's.

Old
09-16-2013, 05:17 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up. I thought he'd have a lot better numbers with Cedar Rapids last year. Who knows why he underwhelmed. Didn't mesh with the coach/team, home sick, etc. Hopefully he gets back on track. Was a lot of fun to watch in his Minor Midget season.

Old
09-16-2013, 09:43 PM
WhoisJohnGalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Absolutely, I just wanted to point out that even though you have a NCAA scholarship offer that it can always be "put on hold", downgraded or withdrawn entirely. Ive known of a player who had an NCAA offer and didn't go the CHL route and when he ready to join the scholarship was downgraded that it wasn't worth his while. He was also too late for him to grab a OHL opportunity.
Absolutely right. When you hear kids committing to an NCAA school it holds as much legal reality as when a minor midget player commits to an advisor. Either side can walk away at any time.

Old
09-17-2013, 08:49 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoisJohnGalt View Post
Absolutely right. When you hear kids committing to an NCAA school it holds as much legal reality as when a minor midget player commits to an advisor. Either side can walk away at any time.
It is not in a school's interest to become known as an institution that reneges on commitments. Otherwise, no-one would commit.

Closed Thread