HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bo Horvat vs the World (Nichushkin mostly)

Closed Thread

Old
09-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Zarpan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoo9 View Post
Mate did y see who was on ice when Nich scores ?
1 st 4th liners prospects
2 nd he doi ll alone
He's the type of player that can do it by himself against non-NHL calibre defenses though. Paajarvi, Stalberg, Zherdev are all players that had tremendous preseasons recently. They are all big and fast players with at least decent offensive skills. In the regular season they can't do the same consistently.

Horvat doesn't have one on one skills in the same Nichushkin does. Doesn't mean that he won't be offensively successful in the future, but it does mean that he's probably not going to produce as well with Sestito and Weise.

Old
09-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Zarpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Anyone here actually watch the game? I saw the highlights. Good highlights for sure, but can you really tell if somebody had a "great" game from that and a boxscore?

He looked as I expected him too, big, strong, and fast.

Anyone saying he was playing with plugs...do you really consider Jamie Benn a plug?
Benn - 0 points, -1. He's definitely a plug.

Old
09-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Zarpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
Well, the point is that he's not playing against a bunch of slouches that don't even belong in the same rink. These are guys who are good enough to wear an NHL pre-season jersey, good enough to shutout Jamie Benn, etc. As much as you seemingly want to deny and dismiss, a 2-goal, 9-shot performance in your first "professional" outing after being drafted is very, very impressive.

If Horvat does the same thing, tonight, there will be a lot of justifiable excitement around him.
Oh, it is certainly a very good performance. It also certainly does not mean that Horvat needs to immediately "step up and validate his taking at #9." as you suggested.

You can just say that it was an excellent game by Nichushkin without insinuating that we made a mistake taking Horvat at #9 if he dares to have a preseason debut that isn't as stellar. It really makes no sense to even contemplate judging the value of a draft pick after one preseason game as 18 year olds.

Old
09-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Royal Canuck
Go Jumbo Joe!

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarpan View Post

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
09-16-2013, 02:34 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
I really wanted Nichushkin at #9, especially since we traded Schneider to get that pick. I felt sick to my stomach when they drafted Horvat instead and was frustrated for a long time after draft day.

If Nichushkin goes on to light it up for the Stars in his rookie season and becomes a big time player in the future, that's going to be a tough one to live down.

2 goals for Nichushkin in his first preseason game? Like another poster said: your move, Horvat.
Honestly it might be too early to compare the 2 organizations are in different states. Canucks are still going for the cup and for the most part will have a group of vets with a few young players (honestly Horvat probably has likely at most a 1/4 chance of making the roster) while the Stars have been rebuilding (somewhat, more like a mix of rebuilding/not rebuilding since they have been a bubble team but they keep getting younger) and will be giving their young players every chance possible to get NHL experience (could also argue rushing them to the NHL).

Not to mention its not like we haven't seen players with outstanding pre-seasons only to disappear once the season starts so regardless its way too early to compare.

Old
09-16-2013, 02:54 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarpan View Post

Exactly. Did he have a good game? Can't tell by the boxscore/highlights. But, I can tell from the boxscore/highlights from Nichushkin. I'm just that good.

Old
09-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Tanevian*

Quote:
I really wanted Nichushkin at #9, especially since we traded Schneider to get that pick. I felt sick to my stomach when they drafted Horvat instead and was frustrated for a long time after draft day.

If Nichushkin goes on to light it up for the Stars in his rookie season and becomes a big time player in the future, that's going to be a tough one to live down.

2 goals for Nichushkin in his first preseason game? Like another poster said: your move, Horvat.
I think this thread will prove to be a good predictor of which posters had a panic attack after Brunnstrom looked great in game 1.

Old
09-16-2013, 03:31 PM
geoo9

guys just let kids to play ) your pressure is bad helper to Bo / Hes your player so all questions to GM or coach

Old
09-16-2013, 03:32 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please Let Us Win View Post
I think this thread will prove to be a good predictor of which posters had a panic attack after Brunnstrom looked great in game 1.
I think it's already a good indication of how adept certain posters are at making mountains out of molehills.

I wasn't active here during the summer so I'm not familiar with the Horvat vs Nichushkin debate that apparently raged on ever since the draft, but I can already tell it's got some posters a bit too uptight.

Old
09-16-2013, 03:37 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
I didn't say Nichushkin's 2 goals necessarily meant anything significant. I just want to see if Horvat has an answer for it. That's my prerogative.
But why does this particular game matter? Hovat doesn't need to match ever game Nichushkin does. It's ****ing idiotic to think so.

Old
09-16-2013, 03:43 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lph View Post
But why does this particular game matter? Hovat doesn't need to match ever game Nichushkin does. It's ****ing idiotic to think so.
Lol, it doesn't really matter. That's my whole freaking point. I'm just curious to see if Horvat can make a big impact in his first preseason game, like Nichushkin. THAT'S. IT.

In any case, it's none of your business what matters to me or not and why. That's my other point. Some of you need to stop managing everyone's "fandom" for them.

Old
09-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

I typed Nichushkin into Goolge (just curious to see what # he was wearing) and Nichushkin vs Horvat was the second search on the list.

Maybe Dallas fans wished they had drafted Horvat instead?

Old
09-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Linden

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
Well, the point is that he's not playing against a bunch of slouches that don't even belong in the same rink. These are guys who are good enough to wear an NHL pre-season jersey, good enough to shutout Jamie Benn, etc. As much as you seemingly want to deny and dismiss, a 2-goal, 9-shot performance in your first "professional" outing after being drafted is very, very impressive.

If Horvat does the same thing, tonight, there will be a lot of justifiable excitement around him.
There is a lot of CHL/AHL talent still in these games. Just look who made it past our first cuts, would you want all of those guys playing regular NHL games?

It's not about dismissing VN's game, as of course it's a great start, but there is some people overvaluing/undervaluing depending on their opinion on the players. All of the poster that prefer Nichushkin are over-hyping a preseason game, while some others are discarding it completely. Neither is really right, because VN should get full credit for a good game, we should just realize it's a preseason game.

Old
09-16-2013, 03:47 PM
Linden

Quote:
Lol, it doesn't really matter. That's my whole freaking point. I'm just curious to see if Horvat can make a big impact in his first preseason game, like Nichushkin. THAT'S. IT.

In any case, it's none of your business what matters to me or not and why. That's my other point. Some of you need to stop managing everyone's "fandom" for them.
No need to be so defensive, I am just as curious as you are to see if Horvat can have a strong 1st game or not, but in the end it doesn't really matter and says nothing for their careers. I know you're backtracking hard in this thread after coming out saying that Horvat needs to answer VN's first game, but whatever

Old
09-16-2013, 03:52 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lph View Post
No need to be so defensive, I am just as curious as you are to see if Horvat can have a strong 1st game or not, but in the end it doesn't really matter and says nothing for their careers. I know you're backtracking hard in this thread after coming out saying that Horvat needs to answer VN's first game, but whatever
I'm not backtracking at all. The "Your move, Horvat" was an offhand comment and people chose to cling to that like it was me stating it's Horvat's mission in life to surpass every single little thing Nichushkin does. There was nothing in any way serious about it. Admittedly, I still feel the Canucks should have chosen Nichushkin and I'll stick to that. If Horvat proves me wrong: great! I have no personal bias or agenda, just an opinion.

I'm not being defensive either. I just wish that one could state their own thought, even if it's a bit against the grain, and not be totally bombarded.

Old
09-16-2013, 04:02 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
I'm not backtracking at all. The "Your move, Horvat" was an offhand comment and people chose to cling to that like it was me stating it's Horvat's mission in life to surpass every single little thing Nichushkin does. There was nothing in any way serious about it. Admittedly, I still feel the Canucks should have chosen Nichushkin and I'll stick to that. If Horvat proves me wrong: great! I have no personal bias or agenda, just an opinion.

I'm not being defensive either. I just wish that one could state their own thought, even if it's a bit against the grain, and not be totally bombarded.
Your post count currently has a 666 in it.

Quick, post something.....anything

Old
09-16-2013, 04:02 PM
Win One Before I Die
Former Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to Win One Before I Die
Id rather have a Canadian player who doesn't disappear in the playoffs. A lot of people *****ing about this for years with the Sedins and Naslund.

Old
09-16-2013, 04:04 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Your post count currently has a 666 in it.

Quick, post something.....anything
Um....uh...uhh....Praise the Lord?!

Old
09-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTheTerror View Post
Id rather have a Canadian player who doesn't disappear in the playoffs. A lot of people *****ing about this for years with the Sedins and Naslund.
Your post count currently has an upside down 666 in it.

Quick, post something upside down...... anything.

Old
09-16-2013, 04:07 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
In fairness, we don't know that Horvat won't disappear in the playoffs any more than we know Nichushkin will be a 40 goal scorer. If we can't be quick to predict Nichushkin's career, we can't be quick to predict Horvat's either.

I think it's fair to just let both of them play.

Old
09-16-2013, 04:13 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Horvat's the type of guy who I think will be a monster in the playoffs. I was livid when we picked him because I wanted Shinkaruk. Worked out very well in the end.

09-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Horvat's the type of guy who I think will be a monster in the playoffs. I was livid when we picked him because I wanted Shinkaruk. Worked out very well in the end.
Well, as all things Horvat vs Nichushkin are concerned thats still yet to be determined... and it may never be a cut and dry answer.

But I like the guy we got..... if VN was any other nationality I might have thought different.

Old
09-16-2013, 04:33 PM
Vankiller Whale
Spread the love

vCash: 1212
Quote:
Nichushkin's playoff performance was great this past year.

Old
09-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Nash

Way too early to have a discussion of how they stack up. I think everyone probably knew that Nichushkin was far more NHL ready for this season after playing in the KHL. You don't draft a player for what they can do in the immediate following season. I'm still very happy with Horvat and can't wait to see him develop over the next 5+ years.

Old
09-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Tanevian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Nichushkin's playoff performance was great this past year.
As was Jan Bulis. Of course I didn't actually watch the games like most of you did.

Closed Thread