HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Looking around the papers today...

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2004, 07:41 AM
Digger12

vCash: 500
Looking around the papers today...

I found a couple of interesting tidbits.

From Fat Terry:

Quote:
Two power-play goals and SportsNet must have shown power-play coach Craig Simpson about a dozen times last night. Funny, all of a sudden he was getting credit for the power play instead of it being a team coaching thing when it wasn't working.

Simpson became real smart overnight.

But a win against Pittsburgh and a win against Florida ... sorry.

The heat's still on.
Looks like he's still on his Simpson headhunting safari.

From Ireland, of all people:

Quote:
During the morning skate, it looked as if Oilers winger Georges Laraque was slated to play against the Panthers. However, not long after he left the ice, early as he usually does, he was called back out for extra work -- some hard skating. But he ended up not playing.
'early as he usually does'? Is that a bit of a dig at BG's work ethic?

I think it's safe to say that BG is no longer a favoured son in this organization. I'd say they were looking to trade him, but it's hard to get much for him when you either scratch him or play him less than 5 minutes a night when he actually gets a game.

Old
01-14-2004, 07:54 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Fat Terry
This guy likes to run people out of town. Let's run him out of town.

Old
01-14-2004, 08:34 AM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's on it.

Terry Jones has lost his position as the "go-to guy" for Oilers news, and is obviously bitter about it. He's not even his own paper's "go-to guy" for Oilers news anymore. That must be hard to swallow for a guy that used to have the Magic Key to Glen Sather's Sanctum Sanctorum. He tries to mask the pain by pretending he cares about figure-skating and indoor soccer, or writing about boxing and football and track & field whenever the opportunity is there. But this is obviously a bitter, broken man who is angry at the world, and I think it's time for him to move on to a place where those qualities are an asset-- movie reviews.

Old
01-14-2004, 08:47 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Terry Jones has lost his position as the "go-to guy" for Oilers news, and is obviously bitter about it. He's not even his own paper's "go-to guy" for Oilers news anymore. That must be hard to swallow for a guy that used to have the Magic Key to Glen Sather's Sanctum Sanctorum. He tries to mask the pain by pretending he cares about figure-skating and indoor soccer, or writing about boxing and football and track & field whenever the opportunity is there. But this is obviously a bitter, broken man who is angry at the world, and I think it's time for him to move on to a place where those qualities are an asset-- movie reviews.
Like good old Marc Horton from the Journal?

Old
01-14-2004, 11:16 AM
bodydrop

vCash:
I dont care for that comment about Laraque. Its not uncommon for a player who is playing to leave the ice early in fact some guys dont skate.

Old
01-14-2004, 11:33 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodydrop
I dont care for that comment about Laraque. Its not uncommon for a player who is playing to leave the ice early in fact some guys dont skate.
I believe that's only true (that some guys don't skate) if it's an *optional* practise, or if a guy's too banged up to add the extra stress on his body.

I thought that was an interesting comment on BG - not entirely sure what it means, but it's possibly changed my view on how the organization feels about him.

Could this be the year that Georges actually does get traded? Looked to me like the team handled themselves fairly well against the Florida tougher guys last night...hmm...

Bart

Old
01-14-2004, 11:47 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
I believe that's only true (that some guys don't skate) if it's an *optional* practise, or if a guy's too banged up to add the extra stress on his body.

I thought that was an interesting comment on BG - not entirely sure what it means, but it's possibly changed my view on how the organization feels about him.

Could this be the year that Georges actually does get traded? Looked to me like the team handled themselves fairly well against the Florida tougher guys last night...hmm...

Bart
I'd more easily dismiss the Laraque bit if it had come from someone more sensationalistic (Jones, Barnes, Brownlee), I'd just write it off as someone trying to stir crap up. But Ireland's not like that, she's probably the blandest, vanilla-style writer going. She doesn't seem to have any axes to grind.

Not quite sure how to take it either, but BG still looks to be on somebody's feces list.

Thing is, if they want to trade him why aren't they showcasing him?

Old
01-14-2004, 03:10 PM
theoil

Quote:
I'd more easily dismiss the Laraque bit if it had come from someone more sensationalistic (Jones, Barnes, Brownlee), I'd just write it off as someone trying to stir crap up. But Ireland's not like that, she's probably the blandest, vanilla-style writer going. She doesn't seem to have any axes to grind.

Not quite sure how to take it either, but BG still looks to be on somebody's feces list.

Old
01-14-2004, 03:35 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
It's a pretty tough time to show case players.

Defcon 3.

Closed Thread