HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Columbus vs. Pittsburgh | 9/15 6PM EDT | Preseason Game 1

Old
09-16-2013, 02:11 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
The key between all of those youngsters coming in is that, on their teams at the time, they were clear-cut NHLers because they were in the top four almost by default. In my opinion, Murray isn't in that position right now, and probably won't be by the end of the year.
There it is. Of course come December, injuries may dictate the situation.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
See, of the 4 defensmen fighting for 1-2 spots, (All played last night), I'd say Goloubef was the least impressive.

Not sure how much of that came from Murray and Savard playing with NHL vets, but that's just my .02

If I had to rank them based on play last night.

Murray
Savard
Melart
Goloubef

But nobody permanently distinguished themselves last night by any means.
Again, I DVR'd it and did a lot of fast forwarding, but I think our bread and butter needs to be with defensive awareness, which I'm not so confident in Savard with. I like him on the PP, which arguably he should be kept on the team because of his QB ability, but if I had to choose between him and Golo, I'd choose Cody because I think he fits our system better.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 04:07 PM
thebus2288

You have to look at how a player plays. The fact that we are comparing Melart with Murray is part of the problem. While Savard didn't look bad you have to look a where he would fit. Wiz, Nikitin, JJ, and Tyutin are all better with the puck at the point. Golobeuf, Murray and Erixon are all better defensively with also not being too far behind offensively. Could you even imagine Savard jumping in, beating guys down ice, and scoring the way Murray did? How bout Erixon doing the same. Would rather lose Savard than Golobeuf and it's actually possible Savard would have more trade value. Melart left me wanting more, definitely after the fight.

RJ can skate? Hooray!! Dude still has so much trouble completing a simple pass. **** look at how bad the pass was to Murray at the end. Guy deserves to be playing no higher than the 3rd line this year with minimal PK time and NO please NO PP time.

thebus2288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebus2288 View Post

RJ can skate? Hooray!! Dude still has so much trouble completing a simple pass. **** look at how bad the pass was to Murray at the end. Guy deserves to be playing no higher than the 3rd line this year with minimal PK time and NO please NO PP time.
I don't know a lot, but in the replay I've seen, it sure seemed to me the pass was nicely laid out in space for Murray. He didn't have to break stride and simply stroked into the net.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 06:01 PM
candyman82

Quote:
What game were you watching?

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
Again, I DVR'd it and did a lot of fast forwarding, but I think our bread and butter needs to be with defensive awareness, which I'm not so confident in Savard with.
Didn't see any deficiencies in that regard, but the stream I was watching was such that I was occasionally having trouble telling blueliners apart, so the PP was where I saw the most of Savard and was sure it was him. (For example, there was that one time when I thought it was Melart opposite Wiz on the PP... Teams shouldn't be allowed to add two guys playing the same position with similar-ish looking names and similar numbers simultaneously! )

Quote:
RJ can skate? Hooray!! Dude still has so much trouble completing a simple pass. **** look at how bad the pass was to Murray at the end.
Yeah, it was so horrible it ended up right on Murray's stick without Murray breaking stride or even blinking, with plenty of time to get the shot on net and in the net. Utterly unforgivable.

It never ceases to amaze me just what some people think they're seeing when they watch their favorite Whipping Boy.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 06:55 PM
FlaggerX

Yeah, Umby did whiff one one sure goal though admittedly the puck was behind him and there was one play where he should have just backhanded the puck ahead and tried to corrall it, but he did have two assists that I saw, including a beauty on the game winner. He looked pretty good. NIkitin didn't look so good, despite the goal. His defense suffered.

FlaggerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 07:00 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
I was very impressed with Murray. I absolutely think he one of our best 6 defensemen. He looks effortless to me, like the game slows down for him. Sure he made a couple of errors, but those will sort themselves out. He looks like he belongs to me. On the GWG, he knew exactly where he needed to join the rush. You don't teach that, it's instinct. Check out twitter, apparently Wiz was pretty impressed with Murray. I would be shocked if he isn't on the club come opening night.
Exactly. He read the play, saw they had an odd man rush if he joined the play and knew his partner was staying home, his positioning was perfect as the 3rd man/trailer. Of course it's not going to work like that every time, but that's huge for Murray to start his season here. As long as he can stay calm and collected now and he/the coaching staff can keep him from trying to do too much I think he won't have a problem in the NHL. Erixon averaged 15/min a game last season, and I could see Murray starting out around there, obviously with a full season to prove he's worth more.

slightlystewpid420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:02 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Bob McElligott's call of the GWG: http://bluejackets.nhl.com/v2/ext/20...ray%20Goal.mp3

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:28 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Yeah, it was so horrible it ended up right on Murray's stick without Murray breaking stride or even blinking, with plenty of time to get the shot on net and in the net. Utterly unforgivable.

It never ceases to amaze me just what some people think they're seeing when they watch their favorite Whipping Boy.
Looked fine to me.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:42 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
...that'll do.

Old
09-16-2013, 09:47 PM
Doug19

I don't know what stream you guys were watching, but on the actual stream Umberger whiffed on the shot attempt, the defender poked the puck and the poke went right to Murray, which Murray buried of course.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:53 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
I don't know what stream you guys were watching, but on the actual stream Umberger whiffed on the shot attempt, the defender poked the puck and the poke went right to Murray, which Murray buried of course.
You're missing a right?

09-16-2013, 10:12 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
You forgot to mention the part where he kicked a puppy that had wandered onto the ice.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:15 PM
Crede777
Deputized

I don't care if he passes the puck off everyone's skates including the refs', as long as he gets it to his teammate and the teammate buries it it's a good play.

Hopefully he can keep it up. I don't want the new Umberger to show up in September but leave in December. Let's get a solid season.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:41 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Because all defensemen, when they do a pokecheck, do so with a one-handed backhand smack that sends it two meters towards an oncoming opponent. And you can truly tell when someone screws up a shot attempt because he's aiming towards the far wall rather than the net.

For ****'s sake, people,. This is just ****ing sad. Give it up already. He Made The Play. You Don't Get To Bash Him Today.

Last edited by Viqsi: 09-16-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old
09-16-2013, 10:47 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Deleted since Viqsi edited her post.

1857 Howitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 11:29 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

I'd like to see Umberger make that play in about 100 more games this season.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:02 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I'd like to see Umberger make that play in about 100 more games this season.
That's pretty optimistic on two counts. Umbie making that play 100 times ain't gonna happen and I don't see the Jackets going 16-2 in the Cup-unless you are counting the remaining x games then 16-8 doesn't seem unreasonable.

Last edited by EspenK: 09-17-2013 at 09:09 AM.
EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:42 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
And you can truly tell when someone screws up a shot attempt because he's aiming towards the far wall rather than the net.
I'll watch the vid again, but it sure looked like he was looking at Murray when the pass came. Looked like, at first glance, that he was putting it in space for the trailer.

I'll be shocked, when I watch it again, that if I can see any evidence that he attempted a shot. My first impression was pass all the way.

But then again it could be just not watching it for a couple of days. But above is the impression I got when I watched the replay (twice) on Sunday.

Regardless, he's certainly in massive whipping boy territory. There was no reason to jump on him.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:31 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

It was a pass, plain and simple.

It was not a shot attempt

It was not a poke check

It was a pass all the way

Great play by Umby, followed by a great finish by Murray.

End of story.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:34 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

I've watched this 15 times now and I see nothing but a pass. If anything after watching it over and over I'm more impressed with the pass because it seems like he saucers the puck over the defenders stick. Maybe that is what Doug is seeing as a whiffed shot?

Last edited by 1857 Howitzer: 09-17-2013 at 09:40 AM.
1857 Howitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:55 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
It was a pass, plain and simple.

It was not a shot attempt

It was not a poke check

It was a pass all the way

Great play by Umby, followed by a great finish by Murray.

End of story.
Indeed.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Socks
SharkCat Knows

Umby passed the puck to Murray. Anyone who can't see that is too blinded by their hatred of him to be able to view any play he's involved with rationally. He passed the puck. Period. End of story. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I'll watch the vid again, but it sure looked like he was looking at Murray when the pass came. Looked like, at first glance, that he was putting it in space for the trailer.

I'll be shocked, when I watch it again, that if I can see any evidence that he attempted a shot. My first impression was pass all the way.

But then again it could be just not watching it for a couple of days. But above is the impression I got when I watched the replay (twice) on Sunday.

Regardless, he's certainly in massive whipping boy territory. There was no reason to jump on him.
That was kind of my point, actually.