HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Training Camp is Here!

Old
09-16-2013, 07:46 PM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Is Pirri injured?
yes. some non-descript "lower body injury". apparently it's not serious.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Hawkaholic

This is a fun game to watch.

Morin and Hayes are for sure making this team. Smith is very meh, but is solid defensively. I think Kruger could make a real push for #2C if given the chance. He looks pretty good out there, and is making some very nice plays. Beach has actually stood out to be honest. Very hard to get off the puck, cycles well, makes good passes. I think the physical aspect of his game is lacking, but could be just this game. Him and Shaw started to scrap before the zebras jumped in.

Kane and TT are kind of putting on a show, more so Kane than TT. But both are play makin like crazy.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 08:40 PM
wladyslaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
This is a fun game to watch.

Morin and Hayes are for sure making this team. Smith is very meh, but is solid defensively. I think Kruger could make a real push for #2C if given the chance. He looks pretty good out there, and is making some very nice plays. Beach has actually stood out to be honest. Very hard to get off the puck, cycles well, makes good passes. I think the physical aspect of his game is lacking, but could be just this game. Him and Shaw started to scrap before the zebras jumped in.

Kane and TT are kind of putting on a show, more so Kane than TT. But both are play makin like crazy.
Agree about Beach- he has been a pleasant surprise. How is his speed and skating?
He has been very good in the cycle game. He hasn't had to skate much. Another surprise is Nordstrom- he fits the Hawks 4th line speed/skating/forecheck. Still needs to put on weight but he looks like a skinny version of Frolik.

TT nervous in 1st- great 2nd.
Mcneill is invisible.
Leblanc- decent.
Fournier- good skater.
Carruth looked bad.

Nordstrom and Beach biggest surprises!

wladyslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:15 PM
wladyslaw

Raanta- looked the best out of all Goalies... no grade A stops- but his rebound control was outstanding. I think he will be a very good goalie. Too bad SB panicked into the 6yr. Deal w/ CC.

Leblanc is sneaky good and smart with the puck!

Old
09-16-2013, 09:45 PM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

Tracey Myers ‏@TramyersCSN 28s
Teravainen will be with Kane and Bickell tomorrow vs. Detroit. #Blackhawks

Old
09-16-2013, 09:48 PM
Illinihockey

Do they save a year on his ELC if TT goes to Finland for a year?

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:57 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wladyslaw View Post
Concerned-No. Because CC will have the same D in front of Him. But 67 and 36 missing (and being replaced w/ more offensive minded, less D minded prospects- will lead to higher GAA).

The CC contract length/amount is still too much- even w/ Cap exploding- cuz the Team is the reason CC and Emery looked so good.
Bolland of last year? He was bad in virtually every phase of the game, even defensively. I think there are a lot of players that could replicate his defensive performance. Even some of our rookies.

I'm not saying it's a given, rather that 2013 Bolland was bad enough that a drop shouldn't be a foregone conclusion. Frolik on the other hand is a big loss. One of the best role players in the NHL.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:58 PM
zac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Yes. He can be called up after the call-up period or play 8 games or less of regular season hockey avoid eating years off his ELC.

zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:01 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Yes, his ELC slides a year so in effect it's a 4-year ELC - providing he doesn't play 10 or more games if he plays in the spring after the season in Finland is over.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:20 PM
EbonyRaptor

Teravainen is smooth. He skates the puck around like Kaner. He has nice hands and controls the puck in a crowd pretty well. Very high skill level.

I wasn't impressed with Saad at center. I'm all for giving him more time though. It will take more than a week before he's playing center like he needs to - if he ever does.

I thought Kruger looked pretty good. Maybe he'll end up being the best option at 2C.

Morin has a knack for getting in scoring positions. I think he has a good chance.

Hayes looks like he has better endurance which was a problem when he played some games a couple years ago. Good enough straight line speed like he showed on the goal tonight. But his skating still looks a little cumbersome to me. He's showing better than I expected though. Keeping fingers crossed.

Shalunov didn't look as fast as he did when he played for Russia in the u20. Looked to be floating too much and too easily knocked off his skates.

LeBlanc looked pretty good. Looks like he's one of those heady players that can make nifty plays.

Fournier is a nice skater. A couple years down the road and he might be in the Hawks plans.

Didn't notice Clendening or Danault. Saw McNeill, Hartmann and Stanton a few times but nothing outstanding.

Old
09-16-2013, 10:50 PM
HockeySensible
NHL Says...

You could tell Teravainen and Kane liked playing together. They were looking for each other for most of the game, at times forcing passes - but hey, it's pre-season, and they're crazy good at hockey stuffs.

Kent Simpson was easily the best goalie for me. He looked poised, and big in net. Made a few nice saves through traffic, and was obviously solid in the shootout, stopping Kane. Obviously he's headed to Rockford, but he looked good and was good in his first Pro season. I think he's very much in Chicago's long-term goaltending plans.

Players stood out to me (besides the obvious names):

Teravainen - He's TT, it's to be expected.

Kruger - Looks a little thicker, a little faster. Was making plays. Him and Nordstrom looked good together.

Nordstrom - Made a nice pass on a Bollig (Yes, Bollg) goal. He's fast, big (tall, still lanky) and smart.

Hayes - He looked good. I never had a problem with his skating, but he looks a little quicker. At 6'6", it'll be interesting to see how physical he is in the pre-season, because that's how he'll make the team. The goals are good, but he won't be expected to score every night, he'll be expected to be a physical presence, go to the net, and work the puck well down low. Consistency will be key.

Olsen - Olsen didn't stand out per-se, but he didn't make any mistakes and his skating looks a bit better this year. He looks to have slimmed down a bit.

Dahlbeck - Simular to Olsen, in that he didn't really stand out too much, but I didn't notice any real mistakes. He's bigger than I thought (looks close to 6'4") and looked good defensively.

Simpson - He was the best goaltender tonight, IMO. Again, he looked big and poised. Was moving around the net very well. Was seeing the puck. The tools are there with Simpson, no doubt.

HockeySensible is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 11:22 PM
wladyslaw

TT has wicked hands- wicked shootout goal. Really good at passing to himself off boards.

nordstrom- might be the Frolik replacement in 1-2 years. Quick, smooth skater, and will hit you (even though he is pencil thin) when you are off balance.

Dahlbeck is a good defender!!! Knows when to close on people. Shaw- who has good speed- thought he could slide by him- Dahlbeck just rode him into boards- nice.

LeBlanc- is crafty/shifty.

Kruger is quick!

Hayes is fast- his issue, IMO- is his lack of agility, high center of gravity.

I still liked Raanta (rebound control) over Simpson- but neither were really tested

Old
09-16-2013, 11:28 PM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm impressed by how good Teuvo has seemed defensively. I had expected him to be far more one dimensional than he is. In fact, when I first heard that he and Kane would be playing together at camp I cringed a bit thinking they would combine to create a defensive black hole but obviously it's not that way at all.

If it turns out that he and Kane play really well together (I guess more next year, at the NHL level) that is very good because it creates a lot of versatility in the top 6.

Does anyone know off hand if Saad can play RW? I was thinking back to last year and can only recall him playing LW...but I could be off on that.

Old
09-16-2013, 11:58 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I'm impressed by how good Teuvo has seemed defensively. I had expected him to be far more one dimensional than he is. In fact, when I first heard that he and Kane would be playing together at camp I cringed a bit thinking they would combine to create a defensive black hole but obviously it's not that way at all.

If it turns out that he and Kane play really well together (I guess more next year, at the NHL level) that is very good because it creates a lot of versatility in the top 6.

Does anyone know off hand if Saad can play RW? I was thinking back to last year and can only recall him playing LW...but I could be off on that.
Saad played exclusively on the left side last season - either when he was with Toews and Hossa or when he took Bickell's spot on the third line with Shaw and Stalberg.

I don't recall him playing anything other than LW in Jrs either - but not sure about that.

Old
09-17-2013, 12:09 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Can't wait till TT sees some NHL action.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 12:16 AM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
Saad played exclusively on the left side last season - either when he was with Toews and Hossa or when he took Bickell's spot on the third line with Shaw and Stalberg.

I don't recall him playing anything other than LW in Jrs either - but not sure about that.
I don't recall that either (at least in the OHL, don't know re NTDP). If he's only ever played LW then that's interesting b/c he's been an elite player for a while (in fact, in early 2011 draft projections he was in the conversation for being in the top 10). Usually when players are young, the best players (offensively) on the team will play centre and will be bumped to wing if there are better kids (who can play centre) on the team...or they are younger than the rest of the team (playing up a year in youth hockey, or being a 16/17 yr old in jr. hockey). Now, my frame of reference is the GTHL/a bit of OMHA and the CHL...so it may well be different in the States. But, in any event, it's interesting (in a good way, of course) if he's spent most of his hockey career playing one position, given how skilled he is.

Old
09-17-2013, 12:32 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 1000
So who scored in the scrimmage last night? What was the result? The official site is unsurprisingly bad at giving this sort of basic information.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 12:36 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

can't wait to see some real hockey being played

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:06 AM
wladyslaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeticDonut View Post
So who scored in the scrimmage last night? What was the result? The official site is unsurprisingly bad at giving this sort of basic information.
Hayes- 2 on 1 break from sharp
Kane- skated thru the whole D like pylons wrister
Nightingale- bad goal let in by Carruth
Bolig- nice pass from Nordstrom (Looked like Saad's goal from Hoss vs. Bruins
Bickell- rebound while posting up - like playoffs - nice play by Kane/Keith
Stanton
Morin- a complete giveaway in front of net

TT- made the Shootout look simple- this guy can go top shelf from in tight, any angle!

Old
09-17-2013, 08:40 AM
ChemSteve

Thanks everyone for the updates. From what I'm reading about TT and the limited videos I've seen of Jokerit, I can't wait to see this kid on the ice next year. Perhaps he can help our PP??

ChemSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:43 AM
moose vasko

Quote:
Originally Posted by wladyslaw View Post

nordstrom- might be the Frolik replacement in 1-2 years. Quick, smooth skater, and will hit you (even though he is pencil thin) when you are off balance.

Hayes is fast- his issue, IMO- is his lack of agility, high center of gravity.
Nordstrom was great when Sweden won WJC. Much more upside than he gets credit for.

Agree re Hayes and the high center of gravity. He gets knocked around far too easily because of it. I don't expect him to morph into a bruising power forward because that isn't his game, but if he's going to stick he needs to be strong in the corners/on the wall and get to the net. He has the tools and there are jobs available, so its' pretty much on him now.

moose vasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:14 AM
fRiGi

fRiGi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:18 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
Yes, his ELC slides a year so in effect it's a 4-year ELC - providing he doesn't play 10 or more games if he plays in the spring after the season in Finland is over.
Makes a lot more sense why they have already decided to send him back for a year.

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Hawkaholic

Isn't Finland considered a pro league? And by playing in a pro league, does that not burn one of TT's ELC years? Or did they change that in the new CBA?

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Hawkscap

Quote:
In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a
Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season
under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry
Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that
this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to
Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December
31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC.
It's NHL games. TT just turned 19.

Hawkscap is offline   Reply With Quote