HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pre #3| Monday, Sep. 16, 2013|Washington at Flyers (split squad) | 7:00 p.m. ET

Old
09-16-2013, 09:50 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

vCash: 500
Raffl looked comfortable. Wouldn't have thought he played in SWE-2 last season. I think the more he gets used to it the better his shots will be also. He is more known for his playmaking skills but was just missing the net.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:53 PM
Danko
...the way she goes

vCash: 420
Went to the game tonight.

The Good: Jason Akeson, Voracek, Morin, Raffl in the first period, Emery.

The Bad: Simmonds Skating - looked like Hartnell out there,
Manning/Konan - Konan looked out of position most of the night.

Thoughts - Morin had a great game and played nasty, a couple of times he let people get under his skin, if he wants to play like prongs he needs to realize he cant take penalties and needs to be on the ice as much as possible, giving it back is great and all but some times you gotta lay off.
I love his board battles though.

Straka was invisible.

Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 09:58 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Wouldn't be surprised to see Morin get a 5 game tryout. He doesn't look out of place at all. He shouldn't stay in the NHL for longer than his 5 games, but I feel like kids tend to have big years after being returned to juniors from an NHL tryout. Could be something to think about.

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:02 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
John Boruk ‏@JohnBorukCSN 4m
Lecavalier on Morin: "He'll be playing in this league for a long time." #FlyersTalk

He had a heck of a game.
Missed the game..sounds like Morin played exceptionally well....very encouraging to hear. Lecavalier's comment is great but please no jinx Vinny.....Timonen said the same thing about Bourdon!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:02 PM
Danko
...the way she goes

Another note about Morin, he needs to learn to get his shot off quicker

Old
09-16-2013, 10:19 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Wouldn't be surprised to see Morin get a 5 game tryout. He doesn't look out of place at all. He shouldn't stay in the NHL for longer than his 5 games, but I feel like kids tend to have big years after being returned to juniors from an NHL tryout. Could be something to think about.
It's back to a 9 game tryout this year because of the the full season. The 5 game tryout was just because of the shortened season last year.

Morin hasn't signed a ELC yet at least not officially so he couldn't as of now.

If he does indeed sign one I could see the argument & under normal circumstances I would agree but I don't know how they would make it work there's too many bodies back there as of now to fit him in. Unless if a trade happens than this all a moot point.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 11:24 PM
PhilaFlyers

I feel like Morin still has a lot of work to do. Just send him back to juniors, give him a look next season.

PhilaFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 11:50 PM
Broad Street Elite

Guys are going off the deep end a little here with Morin. Firstly, we already have like 12 NHL defensemen on the roster and are over the cap. I just can't imagine a scenario where we both free up the roster spot and cap space for the ELC he would need to sign even for those 9 games while we left Gustaffson or Mez in the press box.

If there is a major injury in camp, I guess all bets are off.

Having watched some of the game, he looked a lot better than I expected as one of the more vocal detractors. I saw enough right now to suggest that this guy does in fact have 1D potential. He needs to bulk up because given his physical style of play, he will put his body through a lot of abuse by dishing out the hits and his strong corner work. Being physical requires endurance and toughness nearly as much as receiving the abuse does.

He also still needs a fair bit of offensive refinement getting his shot more efficient and making crisp passes on a little more consistent basis. Literally every tool is there though and he just needs some strong development time to put it all together.

I also think his arrival is less than the 3-4 years out I expected. Morin could very well get to the NHL by 20. Very exciting.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 12:02 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
Another note about Morin, he needs to learn to get his shot off quicker
This is the only significant issue I've seen thus far.

But other than that, I've been ridiculously impressed with him. He has a whole lot more poise than was advertised. If he can keep up this level of play, I'd have no problem giving him his nine games. I don't know who would sit, but he brings something to the game that no one else on the team has at this point, and that's a blend of size, aggressiveness, and mobility. He's been moving the puck in transition well also.

Other bright spots-- Raffl and Akeson. I wouldn't mind either of them on the opening day roster if it weren't so congested already. I really want Raffl, Akeson, and Laughton to get their chance.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 12:17 AM
Harold Bingo
what

Maybe I missed some posts, but am I the only one who thought Lecavalier played pretty well? I thought he created some good opportunities and looked good on the power play, even scored a sweet goal. It'll be interesting to see what they do with the power play this season with Vinny now in the fold. It's also nice to have another forward besides Giroux who can take one timers.

Oh, and John Erkine's a real piece of work, huh? I think he lost his mind tonight. Where's Jody Shelley when you need him?

Harold Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 12:25 AM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
I dont think anyone mentioned Vinny because he's expected to come out and do well. There are other ?'s we're worried about right now.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 01:23 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
good thing Morin is 18.
He may run out of time to work on that shot.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:02 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

One thing that can't be ignored is how good Akeson look. Like honestly I wasn't one putting him in the lineup but he was easily the teams best player last night, on both sides of the ice. Scored a goal, slick pass for a goal, and came charging back to save a goal. Kid is hustling this year. If he continues to do this the rest of preseason, can we seriously still not keep him. I'm not Akeson's biggest fan but one can not ignore his play last night. Looked like an NHL game. Only problem is where he goes.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:23 AM
Danko
...the way she goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevD10 View Post
Maybe I missed some posts, but am I the only one who thought Lecavalier played pretty well? I thought he created some good opportunities and looked good on the power play, even scored a sweet goal. It'll be interesting to see what they do with the power play this season with Vinny now in the fold. It's also nice to have another forward besides Giroux who can take one timers.

Oh, and John Erkine's a real piece of work, huh? I think he lost his mind tonight. Where's Jody Shelley when you need him?

I wasnt overly impressed with Vinny or Simmonds outside of the first 10 minutes of the first. Simmonds was falling all over the place and Vinny was making dumb passes. A lot of sloppy play but granted thats to be expected.

He waited to long on his shootout move but i did like some of his physical play, his ability to close off a guy from the puck was pretty impressive in the board battles.

Old
09-17-2013, 07:36 AM
Hiesenberg

If the Flyers were desperate for D-men, I could see Morin getting an extended look, god knows Holmgren loves to do that.

But they have easily 8 NHL defense men before you get in the territory of the Morin's. No way this kid takes the job of somebody else. He's gonna go back to juniors, there is no rush, take your time with this guy, don't ***** him up.

Hiesenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 07:40 AM
Hiesenberg

Strehle just tweeted that Morin isn't on the Flyers website anymore. One and done for the kid maybe.

Old
09-17-2013, 08:30 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

If Morin stays up, which i HIGHLY doubt, we can forget about him ever really developing an offensive game. We all know what type of roles Flyers put their rookies in.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:51 AM
tade

Any highlights from the game? Thanks.

tade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:11 AM
HighOFFHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenbergg View Post
If Morin stays up, which i HIGHLY doubt, we can forget about him ever really developing an offensive game. We all know what type of roles Flyers put their rookies in.
No way hes kept with the Flyers. No cap room, plus having way too many D-men as it is. I agree with you and he will develop it with Ramouski.

HighOFFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:09 AM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Strehle just tweeted that Morin isn't on the Flyers website anymore. One and done for the kid maybe.
This might be why, from Seravalli:

Expect a large majority of cuts to be made today/tonight. Flyers probably aren't taking more than 30 to Lake Placid. There are 57 left now.
10:05am - 17 Sep 13

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I'm all for this anyways. Give them a taste so they know what to work towards.

09-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Hiesenberg

It may be a valid option, but you are going to set Gervais/Gus/Meszaros for Morin?

I feel like that isn't the smartest move there.

Old
09-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Larry44

Quote:
If the Flyers were desperate for D-men, I could see Morin getting an extended look, god knows Holmgren loves to do that.

But they have easily 8 NHL defense men before you get in the territory of the Morin's. No way this kid takes the job of somebody else. He's gonna go back to juniors, there is no rush, take your time with this guy, don't ***** him up.
Morin can get his 9 games in next year, before he goes back to Jr. then.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:33 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
It may be a valid option, but you are going to set Gervais/Gus/Meszaros for Morin?

I feel like that isn't the smartest move there.
Gervais is basically the past and Mez should be gone.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:40 AM
briererocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
One thing that can't be ignored is how good Akeson look. Like honestly I wasn't one putting him in the lineup but he was easily the teams best player last night, on both sides of the ice. Scored a goal, slick pass for a goal, and came charging back to save a goal. Kid is hustling this year. If he continues to do this the rest of preseason, can we seriously still not keep him. I'm not Akeson's biggest fan but one can not ignore his play last night. Looked like an NHL game. Only problem is where he goes.
This. I know he does not get any love on these boards, but Akeson has improved defensively and offensively he is by far the best player not yet on the team. He really does deserve to be on the team. Laughton may make the team because he is a better defensive player and can play the pk. Raffl may also beat out Akeson, but I really love watching Akeson play. He would give us three legitimate dangerous scoring lines:

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Simmonds-Lecavalier - Read
Akeson-Couturier-Schenn

I doubt he will make the team out of camp. But I think he deserves to.

briererocks is online now   Reply With Quote