HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Pronger (Hired to work for NHL Player Safety, Oct. 9, 2014)

Old
04-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Broad Street Elite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
The biggest shame is that Holmgren didn't understand the rule. The way he structured the deal shows that Pronger never intended to play the last 2 years, if not 3.
No doubt, but I'm over it. Literally was a misinterpretation of a new rule. Not an excuse, but not much can be done about that now.

Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 11:56 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1010
In the pre-Cap world, there was the removal of Clarkie's captaincy when he joined Pat Quinn's coaching staff while continuing as a player. He regained the captain's role eventually, when Bob McCammon was named head coach and Clarke was no longer an ass't coach.

Quote:
Such is the life of a former player, struck down by post-concussion syndrome, and living between two worlds -- permanently disabled player and club scouting.

“I have yet to be told what my duties are,” said Pronger, who still suffers from headaches from an ocular concussion and likely will for the rest of his life.

“As still an active player and a dues-paying member of the [NHLPA] and all that, I know my role will be somewhat limited still in what I can and can’t do," Pronger said on Thursday at Flyers training camp.

Pronger is not an active player in the true sense. He can’t retire without harming the Flyers' salary infrastructure. Under the CBA, they would be stuck with his near-$4.9 million cap hit for the remaining four years of his contract without the ability to place him on LTIR.

By not retiring, he goes on LTIR once the season begins, gets his money, the club gets to use his salary for cap benefits, and he gets to try his hand at evaluating talent off video and in-person scouting.

The problem is, Pronger is from a generation of players that prefers things black and white without shades of grey.

In short, Pronger doesn’t like the potential conflict of interest.

“I’m not saying I can’t [do this],” Pronger said. “There’s a lot of things I would rather not know. I don’t think I need to be part of a lot of things that go in management’s office.

“Still being part of the PA and still being a player on the team and all the rest of that stuff. Scouting is something anybody can do. Putting in reports on teams and systems is something I don’t see a problem with [doing].”

He planned to meet with general manager Paul Holmgren on Thursday to discuss living in two worlds and setting some guidelines he would feel comfortable with.

“I’m not pulling back,” Pronger said. “It’s just a matter of having a conversation."
http://nbcphiladelphia.csnphilly.com...s?extpar=csnph

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Hiesenberg

Nobody is saying he can't retire, obviously the Flyers would have to deal with it, but is he really going to sacrifice 4.9M a year in addition considering there is an alternative? I know I wouldn't.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 04:17 PM
Larry44
Where's Hovercraft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Nobody is saying he can't retire, obviously the Flyers would have to deal with it, but is he really going to sacrifice 4.9M a year in addition considering there is an alternative? I know I wouldn't.
Even when it goes down to $500K for the final years, why would he forego that? It's more than he can make as a scout, or, I'm assuming, an Ass't GM.

All he has to say is 'I would love to play if I can pass a physical' then fail the physical. No brainer.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2013, 05:41 PM
RonHextall27

Yeah, I can't see him ever leaving 12.5M on the table just to 'officially' retire. I'd say he doesn't want to be jerked around to watching Jr games all over the place. Maybe it would be better for him to just disappear for 4 years until his contract is up and then join the team in a development or front office position if he wants.

RonHextall27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 12:22 AM
bauer

he doesn't need to retire. what needs to happen is after this year they need to trade him to a team that can use his caphit to hit the floor.

Pronger's salary drops 3m after this season. he has 3 years left and only gets 5m over those 3 years. 4m next year, and 500k the two after that. there will definitely be teams that will like the idea of only having to pay a player 1m in 2015 and 2016 with a caphit close to 5m.

trading Pronger is the best thing to do at this point. but it likely wouldn't happen until next summer at the earliest.

bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 12:47 AM
Jtown

If that cap does go up maybe we can swing a deal with St. Louis. They would be doing us a favor but they would be doing Chris a huge favor. Plus they could start the process of him being groomed for a front office position or even coaching.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 02:09 PM
youthoftoday

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer View Post
he doesn't need to retire. what needs to happen is after this year they need to trade him to a team that can use his caphit to hit the floor.

Pronger's salary drops 3m after this season. he has 3 years left and only gets 5m over those 3 years. 4m next year, and 500k the two after that. there will definitely be teams that will like the idea of only having to pay a player 1m in 2015 and 2016 with a caphit close to 5m.

trading Pronger is the best thing to do at this point. but it likely wouldn't happen until next summer at the earliest.
Could they trade cash as well? Pronger + $5 mill for whatever. Basically saying, "we'll even pay his salary for you".

youthoftoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Hiesenberg

I don't believe you can trade an injured player (see Meszaros, Andrej)

Old
09-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
I don't believe you can trade an injured player (see Meszaros, Andrej)
You can if both teams stipulate that the injury exists.

I don't think it matters. I can't imagine that team wants to take on a long term cap hit commitment like that without some serious compensation coming back with it (i.e, 1st rounder).

Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 03:12 PM
Curufinwe

A cap floor team, might, especially in the last two years of Pronger's deal.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 03:38 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
If I entertain this thought, its very possible that there will be teams wanting cap hits to reach the floor, the Cap ceiling may be 80M in a few years, meaning the cap floor will be 60-65?

Old
09-16-2013, 03:42 PM
bauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
exactly. the cap might be rising as much as 5-6m next year, which means the floor should be rising as well. there are too many teams losing money as it is, it would be incredibly enticing for a team to be able to add 5m in cap but only have to pay 1m of it. many teams would be interested.

i believe you can trade an injured player as long as both teams are aware of it. Thomas got traded to the Isles last year and he never had to pass a physical. both teams accepted it was a cap deal and that Thomas wasn't going to play.

bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 06:11 PM
Gert B Frobe

why would a team acquire a player who can't play to get to the cap floor?

couldn't they acquire a player who can actually play?

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 06:16 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
why would a team acquire a player who can't play to get to the cap floor?

couldn't they acquire a player who can actually play?
Quote:
...there are too many teams losing money as it is, it would be incredibly enticing for a team to be able to add 5m in cap but only have to pay 1m of it. many teams would be interested...
Bauer explained it perfectly.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 01:42 AM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:

That sounds an awful lot like cap circumvention, especially if Pronger retires right after being traded. It sets a bad precedent if teams like Florida are allowed to simply acquire retiring players to meet the salary floor.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 02:36 AM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
I think "cap circumvention" is geared more towards teams trying to get under the max, not over the minimum.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 02:42 AM
iLandHer

An Isles fan just browsing the thread, but the Pronger situation reminds me of the Islanders and Tim Thomas last year.

The Isles were able to acquire Thomas from the Bruins, even though he wasn't playing, in order to get his cap hit to keep the team over the floor. It gave them more flexibility with the roster. The team didn't end up having to pay Thomas anything because he didn't play and they didn't toll his contract, so it ended up being a free cap hit (and cap reduction for the Bruins) with no money actually being paid out. An important note though is that Thomas wasn't injured, he just wasn't playing.

So for those of you saying teams might be looking to grab 5 million in cap space for only 1 million in money actually paid are correct, if a team is that close to the floor and needs some flexibility. Teams could be interested in it because of the 5 million. Getting a player for 1 million may not give them the flexibility they would like or require.

iLandHer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 04:25 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
You can't trade an injured player anyways. And if Pronger is healthy we sure as hell aren't trading him for cap relief.

PS thank you phone for finally saving Pronger as a word so it doesn't constantly auto correct to printer every time I type it in

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 08:27 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm MacDonald View Post
That sounds an awful lot like cap circumvention, especially if Pronger retires right after being traded. It sets a bad precedent if teams like Florida are allowed to simply acquire retiring players to meet the salary floor.
I don't think the thought is of him retiring, again, he's not going to give up millions of dollars when there is a solution for him.

The Islanders did exactly what is being proposed.

Old
09-17-2013, 09:03 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
You can't trade an injured player anyways.
Yes you can. Both sides just have to agree to it.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 03:05 PM
Appleyard

5 videos of Pronger interview. Talking about a few things.

Appleyard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 03:13 PM
Akanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
5 videos of Pronger interview. Talking about a few things.
Thanks for the info!

Pronger on the Flyers

Pronger on filling his role

Pronger on his role

Pronger on his career

Pronger on his progress

Akanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 06:28 PM
ericWONT
Nick Grossmann Hater

Glad to see he's doing ok. It's a shame that his career had to be cut short. I feel as though if it weren't for a handful of those hits he'd still be contributing big time. He's exactly what we're missing from the team it seems.

ericWONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2014, 07:04 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:

Can't trade players that are on LTIR, unless it's a trade in the off season but who would take him and his salary? I don't get your reasoning.