HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread

Old
09-08-2013, 03:09 PM
vapor11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
when do you know its worth it to shell out the extra cash for top end skates?

I dont ever feel like my skates have been holding me back, and im usually one of the faster guys on the ice north/south. im sure there is an experience thing involved here though.
I was also one of the faster guys growing up but had never owned a high end pair of skates.. The big thing I notice is less fatigue especially when doing lots of turning and stopping/starting.. I use Vapor x60s(2 Gen ago).. Also the added protection.. I have been hit on the inside of my foot with the puck over the years and I can remember the pain vividly.. Takes your feet right out from under you.. Now I don't have to worry about that

There was a skate or two in the beginning where I thought I made the wrong decision as the stiffness was something I was not used too but now they are broken in they are great

Last edited by vapor11: 09-08-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old
09-08-2013, 06:25 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
when do you know its worth it to shell out the extra cash for top end skates?

I dont ever feel like my skates have been holding me back, and im usually one of the faster guys on the ice north/south. im sure there is an experience thing involved here though.
If there's one piece of equipment where I'd pay extra, it would be for skates. But if you are good with what you got, then don't worry about an upgrade.

My newest pair, Bauer Nexus 600s, you definitely feel alot more support. I don't think I'm any faster, but they do feel better in turns and transitions. Far more comfortable than my Reebok 6Ks were atleast.

Old
09-15-2013, 04:46 PM
MeltingPlastic

So 5 weeks to the day I ordered my skates showed up at my LHS. I ordered Nexus 1000s. The options I went with are the following: Increased stiffness to 3 (factory is a 2, max is a 4), LS3 runners (Bauers answer to Step Steel), Black Clarino Liner, APX2 tongue and the skate sizes are Left: 10EEEEB and Right: 10EEA. This size difference is why i'm required to go custom otherwise I would never spend what i spent on these.

I went and got them baked Friday and went to a public session Sat to just skate in them and played a pickup game today.

The skates felt great, just going to take a while to get used to. I can tell that the toe-box is not as wide on the Nexus as they were on the Flexlites I used to have but once these break in they should be great. As mentioned I went with the black clarino liner as that was what I had gotten previously and it definitely helps keep your foot from slipping etc. Much better grip than the factory liner. Also went with the APX2 tongue. Now it's weird, I chose the black felt and I guess that does not come in the 3 piece like white as its a 2 piece tongue. That's fine with me because I used the older supreme tongues in my last skates and these feel just like that only with APX2 on it.

The LS3 steel takes some time to get used to. The open skate I did not feel comfortable at all with them. Almost like too much of my blade was contacting the ice. I may get them profiled if after skating a few times if i cant get used to them. I will say though, I definitely felt a lot more stable in turns etc with the added height and just felt overall faster in this steel with a lot less effort! Skating today was a lot better and I can tell I'm getting used to them more. A taller/different steel with brand new skates makes it a bit awkward for now.

The only complaint I have so far is that unlike the retail Nexus, the drainage holes on the bottom of my skate were just drilled and not clean. It doesn't really bother me but to me, with the amount of money I spent, you'd think they have made it look nice like they do on the retail skates.

Overall I know i'm going to like these skates and are obviously worth it as its the only way I can skate. Now to continue with the break-in process as these things are very stiff!

Old
09-15-2013, 05:31 PM
AIREAYE

Yeah, they probably could've put some eyelets on them like on retail. Nice skates though!

Old
09-16-2013, 02:51 AM
Fanned On It

I wish my custom skates actually fit me perfectly... sigh. I'll never find a solution to my super narrow heels...

Old
09-16-2013, 11:06 AM
Chau Vo
Hockey's Future Staff

When you filled out the custom order form was there an option for black stitching instead of white?

Old
09-16-2013, 11:45 AM
MeltingPlastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chau Vo View Post
When you filled out the custom order form was there an option for black stitching instead of white?
Looking at the form now I do not see anything for black stitching. I'm guessing you mean on the sides of the boot so that it would be all black right? I think that portion is not custom but you could always talk to a rep to see if they could do it

Old
09-16-2013, 11:47 AM
MeltingPlastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
I wish my custom skates actually fit me perfectly... sigh. I'll never find a solution to my super narrow heels...
What size are your current heals? They go down to a AA on a D width boot, If you need smaller, C width goes down to AAA. And when it comes to custom skates, they are true to measurement size, none of that E~D stuff

Old
09-17-2013, 03:39 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltingPlastic View Post
What size are your current heals? They go down to a AA on a D width boot, If you need smaller, C width goes down to AAA. And when it comes to custom skates, they are true to measurement size, none of that E~D stuff
Yeah I have C width with AAA I believe. Still no good. They're custom NXG's. The length is perfect and the forefoot is fine.. it's just the heels. The heel-box itself just isn't narrow enough. I'm depressed about it and I'm using my old skates until they die while these brand new NXG"s sit on my shelf and collect dust. Eventually I will be forced to use them and I'll probably have to wear three pairs of socks like I do with my S17's.

Old
09-17-2013, 03:46 AM
Pablooo

Quote:
Yeah I have C width with AAA I believe. Still no good. They're custom NXG's. The length is perfect and the forefoot is fine.. it's just the heels. The heel-box itself just isn't narrow enough. I'm depressed about it and I'm using my old skates until they die while these brand new NXG"s sit on my shelf and collect dust. Eventually I will be forced to use them and I'll probably have to wear three pairs of socks like I do with my S17's.
You cloud try heating just the heel, and aply some sort of pressure from the outside. I saw another guy with anti-heel slip patches in his skates, seemed to do the trick. Or try growing a bauer bump or stick some anti-slip material on the back of your socks. or different insoles

Old
09-17-2013, 06:48 AM
jazzykat

I've read a lot about how most amateurs will actually have their performance impeded by top of the line hockey skates. How do you know that a skate is "too good" for you?

Old
09-17-2013, 06:56 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
I've read a lot about how most amateurs will actually have their performance impeded by top of the line hockey skates. How do you know that a skate is "too good" for you?
When it impedes movement/mobility enough that it controls you, not you controlling the skate.

Quote:
Take a look at Stable 26 socks. Several others have liked it for the heel lock properties it supposedly gives.

Old
09-21-2013, 09:29 PM
goodriddance628

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Timer View Post
Thanks Guys, I am in NJ and live between a Pure Hockey, Hockey Monkey, and not much further is a Hockey Giant. They have lots of skatsat each location and that is what got me thinking of making a switch. I coach, Ref , and play mens league according to most I've spoken to those old XX's were one of Bauers best products produce, which is why through that they have held up. I went to the HM and th wall of skates blew my mind. That is why I am asking around. I like the Bauers fit my whole life but at 40 I want to try somthing new. Again thanks for the advice.
I recently went through the same thing, just getting back into hockey after some years off and still skating on a pair of CCM 652 tacks from a LOOONG time ago I went to the LHS that has good reputation and a good selection of skates I ended up going with a pair of Graf G35's they where a couple years older model but they fit really well in the store had them baked and hit the ice a couple days later and they tore my ankles up really bad both ankles on the out sides right above the ankle bone I've had them baked again wear them around the house all the time and still they tear my ankles up unless I tape them up really well it's to the point that I'm going to start looking for another pair of skates or just use my old dinosaur CCM's so even though they felt like running shoes in the store skating in them was pretty disappointing

Old
09-22-2013, 07:18 PM
goodriddance628

just got home with a new pair of CCM RBZ 90 with the CCM high arch foot beds, they fit pretty good before the bake some tight spots but not horrible so I took the chance had them baked and it's amazing even with a mid level skate how much they formed to my feet with just one baking, I'm pretty pumped but won't be able to hit the ice with them for a couple weeks due to work. I will say that I spent a lot of time of the LHS today trying on different skates and foot beds to make sure I didn't make the same mistake I did with the Grafs the Bauer nexus 600's where very comfortable right out of the box but with my severely high arch it put top of the boot right where the Grafs have been rubbing. so if anyone is looking for a pair of Graf G35's in size 10w with about 12 skates on them I'm willing to make someone a great deal

Last edited by goodriddance628: 09-22-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old
09-29-2013, 11:47 AM
Ipa
Rookie User

Also need some advice for buying new skates, currently wearing my third pair of Easton Stealth S17 in size 9R, great fit overall and most comfortable skate i have tried. It's quite hard to find these skates anymore, so need some advice from former Stealth users, what would be the closest to Stealth fit? There isn't much of models in my LHS so I would have to order a new skates. I have tried Bauer APX and the new X100, and they don't fit quite well. Same thing in CCM CL. Sorry bad english.

Old
09-29-2013, 01:40 PM
goodriddance628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipa View Post
Also need some advice for buying new skates, currently wearing my third pair of Easton Stealth S17 in size 9R, great fit overall and most comfortable skate i have tried. It's quite hard to find these skates anymore, so need some advice from former Stealth users, what would be the closest to Stealth fit? There isn't much of models in my LHS so I would have to order a new skates. I have tried Bauer APX and the new X100, and they don't fit quite well. Same thing in CCM CL. Sorry bad english.
I never had Easton skates but from my experience last weekend with the CCM RBZ skates if your LHS has them I would try them on for sure I'm still amazed at how well these skates fit out of the box and how much baking them made them fit even better the CCM arch foot beds really finish the job, I know everyone's foot is different and they might not work for you but would be worth a try on for sure.

Old
09-29-2013, 03:58 PM
AIREAYE

Start afresh and try on different fits. I used to wear S15s and now fit beautifully into RBZ. I like the supreme fit too

Old
09-30-2013, 08:44 PM
ChrisNI

vCash: 3322
Anybody know if you can pick up new old skates?

I'm looking to go back to wearing Vapor XXXX's as they were the last skates I wore that felt like slippers! Can't find them anywhere though!

I also don't fancy spending the $1000 for the APX skates

Old
09-30-2013, 09:06 PM
AIREAYE

eBay or similar sites or get lucky at a used sporting goods store. Nobody at this time will have access to new stock for very obvious reasons...

Or consider the X80/X90.

Old
10-01-2013, 09:40 AM
windycity

Insoles for Pronation/Flat Feet?

Not a skate issue per se but has anyone ever used an insole to help better align their skates? I've been playing for like 4 years now and had never really noticed bc of the ambient noise when other people around but went to a rat where I had the whole rink to myself and I noticed that my right skate tends to default to my inside edge when I'm supposed to be gliding. It's not super pronounced but I definitely heard the drag. Since I have flat/pronated feet, looking for some insights from anyone else who has dealt with it before.

Old
10-01-2013, 11:06 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
Not a skate issue per se but has anyone ever used an insole to help better align their skates? I've been playing for like 4 years now and had never really noticed bc of the ambient noise when other people around but went to a rat where I had the whole rink to myself and I noticed that my right skate tends to default to my inside edge when I'm supposed to be gliding. It's not super pronounced but I definitely heard the drag. Since I have flat/pronated feet, looking for some insights from anyone else who has dealt with it before.
Try these:

http://www.superfeet.com/en-us/hockey

Old
10-01-2013, 06:39 PM
goodriddance628

I have really high arches when I bought my new skates I tried the superfeet foot beds and they where pretty nice I then tried the CCM foot beds designed for high arches and they really made a difference if your LHS has both I would take your skates in and try them and see witch feels better

Old
10-10-2013, 10:40 AM
ConoR187

Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
with my nexus 800 skates they fit my foot pretty well due to the width.. but i noticed that there is a lot of negative space and my foot can lift sometimes pretty easily.. should i try superfeet to help with some arch support and to fill those gaps?

Old
10-10-2013, 12:10 PM
AIREAYE

Superfeet isn't designed to help with heel lift, though you might notice your foot sitting differently inside the skate. Worth a try and you can return it within 60 days if it doesn't work out.

Some other people have claimed that Stable 26 socks have helped in that regard.

Old
10-10-2013, 02:12 PM
ConoR187

Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Superfeet isn't designed to help with heel lift, though you might notice your foot sitting differently inside the skate. Worth a try and you can return it within 60 days if it doesn't work out.

Some other people have claimed that Stable 26 socks have helped in that regard.
its not so much my heel but my forefoot... i have wide feet which is great for my skates but i dont have thick feet, so theres a lot of negative space

Closed Thread