HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

What to do when Bouchard is ready

Old
11-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Mr Islander

vCash: 500
What to do when Bouchard is ready

What do you people think the Isles should do when Joel Bouchard is ready to return to the lineup?

Personally, I would like them to go with six veteran defensemen (Zhitnik, Poti, Witt, Hill, Martinek, and Bouchard), and let Campoli and Gervais continue to develop in the minors. Then if one the the veteran D gets injured (which is not uncommon in the NHL), one of these two young guys would get called up.

As is true in most team sports, it is usually good to let young players continue to develop in the minors, where they can learn from their mistakes without having to perform under stress at the major league level. It's particularly good to let NHL defensemen develop in the minors, because the position requires more reacting to plays, which a defensemen learns though experience. Young forwards have more leeway because their defensive mistakes can be less costly than those of defensemen.

The argument can be made that Campoli can help the Islander's offense right now. Would Ted Nolan be willing to use a young guy like Campoli on the point during a powerplay? Or would he be better served continuing to learn how to play the point in the minors? It's a coach's decision, and it will be interesting to see what they do.

Your thoughts?

Mr Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 02:30 PM
CosmoKramer

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Islander View Post
What do you people think the Isles should do when Joel Bouchard is ready to return to the lineup?

Personally, I would like them to go with six veteran defensemen (Zhitnik, Poti, Witt, Hill, Martinek, and Bouchard), and let Campoli and Gervais continue to develop in the minors. Then if one the the veteran D gets injured (which is not uncommon in the NHL), one of these two young guys would get called up.

As is true in most team sports, it is usually good to let young players continue to develop in the minors, where they can learn from their mistakes without having to perform under stress at the major league level. It's particularly good to let NHL defensemen develop in the minors, because the position requires more reacting to plays, which a defensemen learns though experience. Young forwards have more leeway because their defensive mistakes can be less costly than those of defensemen.

The argument can be made that Campoli can help the Islander's offense right now. Would Ted Nolan be willing to use a young guy like Campoli on the point during a powerplay? Or would he be better served continuing to learn how to play the point in the minors? It's a coach's decision, and it will be interesting to see what they do.

Your thoughts?
Were winning so again the same with Campoli, unless injury or really bad play neither of them will be playing.

Old
11-20-2006, 02:32 PM
E_Godard

Im a big fan of Bouchard regardless of what others think of him from here. But I think this agrument is kinda pointless. I really think they see Campoli being a step over Joel, so unless if we get 2 injurys to our D, I doubt youll be seeing chris and joel in game together.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 02:48 PM
Eman Resu

I think it's clear that as long as we are dressing 6 d-men the guy who would have to sit in order to get Bouchard into the lineup is Gervais. That said, I think Gervais has been playing pretty well and at 12 minutes or so a night, I'd say he's developing at an even pace. Among our D, he's the worst with a -6, but at the same time, he's taken far fewer penalties than the others (only 4 all year). I think overall he's been solid. I'm not sure I think it's worth removing him from the lineup for Bouchard. Especially right now when we've been winning.

I loved Bouchard last year though, he really showed a lot of heart so I'd like to see him in the lineup. And then there's Campoli...

It's a nice problem to have... too many good defenders and too few spots to play them in.

Anyone think we should dress 7 d-men? Who's faster on their skates? Bouchard or Gervais?

Eman Resu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 03:05 PM
driveforfive*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu View Post
I think it's clear that as long as we are dressing 6 d-men the guy who would have to sit in order to get Bouchard into the lineup is Gervais. That said, I think Gervais has been playing pretty well and at 12 minutes or so a night, I'd say he's developing at an even pace. Among our D, he's the worst with a -6, but at the same time, he's taken far fewer penalties than the others (only 4 all year). I think overall he's been solid. I'm not sure I think it's worth removing him from the lineup for Bouchard. Especially right now when we've been winning.

I loved Bouchard last year though, he really showed a lot of heart so I'd like to see him in the lineup. And then there's Campoli...

It's a nice problem to have... too many good defenders and too few spots to play them in.

Anyone think we should dress 7 d-men? Who's faster on their skates? Bouchard or Gervais?
Exactly - It is a good problem. The Isles actually have 3 D men and 3 or 4 forwards in the minors that we could bring up and work well in our game. Rick Berry is also an experienced NHL D man.

driveforfive* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 05:10 PM
Mr Islander

Quote:

Definitely a good "problem" to have. Kudos to The Committee. They could dress 7 d-men if they wanted to, true. Don't know, they're both pretty fast, Gervais skates very smoothly.

Old
11-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Mr Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveforfive View Post
Exactly - It is a good problem. The Isles actually have 3 D men and 3 or 4 forwards in the minors that we could bring up and work well in our game. Rick Berry is also an experienced NHL D man.
I thought of Rick Berry also, as an emergency call-up. I would like them to call up a young forward, to get a Jason Blake "Energizer Bunny" effect. They could benefit from a guy who's fast, energetic, and skilled, to keep the opposing D honest. Sort of a younger guy to complement Blake. Then they could scratch Simon or Park, depending on who is or is not needed per game.

Nilsson probably fits the bill the most right now. Tambellini is fast, but seems to have a laid-back personality. Don't know anything about Comeau, anyone have a scouting report on him? Bergie would have been perfect.

Old
11-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Isles Never Quit

Quote:
I don't see a problem dressing 7 dmen, although it doesn't seem like a long term solution.

As for who's faster: I think Bouchard takes this one. Last year Joel seemed like he was as quick as Marty or Z; this year Gervais looks about on pace with Witt and Hill, IMHO.

Isles Never Quit is offline   Reply With Quote