HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Back From Philly

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2004, 05:47 PM
dawgbone

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Back From Philly

Got back from Philly about 4 hours ago...

Firstly, I would just like to say that Philly is a must see. It's an awesome mix of old style Europe and modern day North America. The subburbs, from the I-76, are all situated on hills, so there are houses both high and low, in seemingly no pattern. It's an awesome site, and there are several rather large churches scattered in the middle.

Downtown Philly has a mix of some rather old buildings, plus the newer all glass ones. There are some fantastic murals on several of the buildings, and the "sports park is awesome". There is the old Spectrum, the new Wachovia center, the "linc" and the stadium the phillies play out of (forget what it's called). They are all in the same area, and share a huge parking lot. My only beef with it was that there was absolutely no where to eat near the sports park, and they don't let you in until 1.5 hours before the game... and we got there 3 hours early.

On to the game.

Wow... it was a very solid game. Tommy definitely stole that game. He had a very Hasek-esque game, making all kinds of sprawling saves, but in complete control the whole time.

The Isbister-Oates-Smyth line reminds me a lot of fireworks... pretty, but don't really have any results. They had several beauty passing plays that led to some weak shots on net. They played well together, but the tangible results simply aren't there. Isbister made a really strong move to get around Desjardins, and the puck rolled to Horcoff for an easy goal... still, Izzy really worked his ass off for that goal, and had some really strong shifts out there. I don't know if it was just tonight, but Oates isn't nearly as slow as every made him out to be... either that or he positions himself extremely well, as he continually seemed to be in the middle of very quick rushes.

The Dvorak-York-Torres line scored a beauty first goal, and were consistantly dangerous all night long. Dvorak was double shifted alot (no pp or pk time, but still had what looked like about 20 minutes), and had a lot of jump that game. York has <b>incredible</b> hand eye co-ordination. He knocked about 5 or 6 waist high passes down in the neutral zone, and turned them into viable scoring rushes. Torres was okay... he took himself out of position to throw some hits (very uncharacteristic of him), but he scored a beauty goal, so I can't really comlain.

The defensemen all had very strong games, Fergie was invisible (which is exactly the game you want from him), Brewer was very good making some very good defensive plays and outlet passes, Ulanov was a bull, Staois was solid as usual, Cross was good in both ends (minus one play where he completely missed a pass in the offensive end), and Semi played a very physical game and man-handled quite a few forwards in front of the net.

Individually, Hemsky had a sound, but unspectacular play. You could tell his tank was low, but he showed a hell of a lot of heart and deternination. He won a couple of battles with Roenick, who is no slouch, and he continually was right on top of his man in the defensive zone. He has learned a very important NHL lesson very early... if you aren't scoring, you have to turn in a better effort defensively. Reasoner looked solid for his second game back, although he struggled a bit in defensive zone face-offs. He was very solid on the pk, especially one the 3 on 5's (so was Smyth). Horcoff had a lot of jump, scored a big goal, and won a couple of key face-offs. Moreau caused a lot of problems on the forecheck, and threw about 3 or 4 really solid hits.

General team notes:

The Good - P.K. was awesome. The flyers looked pathetic on the 5 on 3's (partially because the defencemen were in no position for a one timer, giving whoever was playing the top lots of time to move over and clog the shooting lane), and couldn't get anything going on the 5 on 4's. The Oilers forechecked with 2 players all game long and positively caused the Flyers fits, especially in the 3rd. The Oilers out-shot the Flyers in the 3rd 12-9 (or something like that), but 4 of the Flyers shots came from out-side the blueline, and their only real quality chances came after the score was already 3-0. Tommy Salo was huge. He made some early saves in the first and second period when the score was still 1-0, and definitely gave the Oilers confidence, especially to kill the penalties.

The Bad - The Oilers look absolutely horrible trying to get the puck out of their end. The forwards (for the most part), really struggled getting the puck out, and there were about 4 or 5 instances where Oiler forwards actually colided. However, in the 2nd and 3rd periods, the Oilers (especailly York and Dvo), started flipping the puck over the defecemen and out, using their speed to either get the puck in the neutral zone, or cause a turnover.

The Ugly - Flyer fans were extremely quiet... the only emotion they showed was yelling shoot, booing, or cheering when the announcers mentioned "Eagles", or a group in the crowd started and Eagles chant.

I got a few wicked photos, and I will post them on my website (with a link here) sometime in the next few days.

Old
01-11-2004, 06:40 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
glad the oilers made your day dawgbone

sadly for Boho they stunk it up

Last edited by rabi_sultan: 01-12-2004 at 06:12 AM.
Old
01-12-2004, 04:40 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
glad the oilers made your day hairball

sadly for Boho they stunk it up
lol... well they owed me one after my 5 hour drive to watch them get spanked around by the Wings earlier this season.

Old
01-12-2004, 10:46 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
lol... well they owed me one after my 5 hour drive to watch them get spanked around by the Wings earlier this season.
So I guess your streak is over now? :p

Thanks for the report.

Old
01-12-2004, 01:36 PM
Hydroponic Harold

Did you wear Oiler silks to the game????? I have been told to never wear other teams togs in US arenas ..and had a bad experieiance wearing Kelowna gear to aT-Birds game in the emerald city .

Old
01-12-2004, 02:48 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroponic Harold
Did you wear Oiler silks to the game????? I have been told to never wear other teams togs in US arenas ..and had a bad experieiance wearing Kelowna gear to aT-Birds game in the emerald city .
Yeah I wore my Jersey...

To be honest, I have never had a problem, and I have worn my Oiler Jersey in Detroit, Philly, Boston, Buffalo, New Jersey and Minnesota. It all depends on how you act, most don't care if you cheer, but it's when you start to get obnoxious that it gets to be a big problem. I won't point and heckle anyone or anything, there is a little trash talk for fun, but for the most part I think everyone realizes that we all paid a lot of money to watch the team play, and it makes no sense to have to spend $500 to get bailed out of jail.

Old
01-12-2004, 03:46 PM
Yorkiegirl161861

Quote:
Yeah I wore my Jersey...

To be honest, I have never had a problem, and I have worn my Oiler Jersey in Detroit, Philly, Boston, Buffalo, New Jersey and Minnesota. It all depends on how you act, most don't care if you cheer, but it's when you start to get obnoxious that it gets to be a big problem. I won't point and heckle anyone or anything, there is a little trash talk for fun, but for the most part I think everyone realizes that we all paid a lot of money to watch the team play, and it makes no sense to have to spend $500 to get bailed out of jail.
I wore my home blue Oilers jersey to the Philly game. All I got were "boos" from my section when I went to and from my seat. Since I'm female, I guess they went easy on me. However, I agree that if you become obnoxious and overbearing then you're asking for trouble. The Wachovia Center was relatively tame that night, not much they could cheer about with their team being shut out.

Old
01-12-2004, 05:56 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiegirl161861
I wore my home blue Oilers jersey to the Philly game. All I got were "boos" from my section when I went to and from my seat. Since I'm female, I guess they went easy on me. However, I agree that if you become obnoxious and overbearing then you're asking for trouble. The Wachovia Center was relatively tame that night, not much they could cheer about with their team being shut out.
Hehehe... they weren't booing at you, they were booing at the football game (you could see some of the private boxes with the game on). I didn't figure this out until early in the 3rd period (everyone kept booing and cheering at something over to the right of me).

Which section were you in?

Old
01-13-2004, 01:02 PM
Yorkiegirl161861

Quote:
Hehehe... they weren't booing at you, they were booing at the football game (you could see some of the private boxes with the game on). I didn't figure this out until early in the 3rd period (everyone kept booing and cheering at something over to the right of me).

Which section were you in?
I was in section 211 and those boos were for me. One girl said to me "Good thing we don't cross-check fans of the opposition". Welcome to Philadelphia. I still couldn't believe how they broke out into the Eagles' victory song during the hockey game. They are a big sports town.

Old
01-13-2004, 01:16 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
I was in section 211 and those boos were for me. One girl said to me "Good thing we don't cross-check fans of the opposition". Welcome to Philadelphia. I still couldn't believe how they broke out into the Eagles' victory song during the hockey game. They are a big sports town.
Damn... I was in 216, and no one said a peep towards me... then again between my friend (a flyers fan) and I, we'd probably make a good backfield combo size wise in the NFL, so maybe that had something to do with it... who knows.

But from what I had heard before I went, I was definitely ready for anything, but I'm glad nothing happened, and I think it was a case of a couple of isolated incidents being portrayed as the norm.

Old
01-13-2004, 01:28 PM
Yorkiegirl161861

I was with my husband and he wasn't wearing Oilers colors, so that probably kept it tame. The guy next to him asked if we drove in from Edmonton. Nope, we're from NJ across the state line.

I smiled and clapped when the Oilers scored, but I didn't rub it in or anything like that. I, too was ready for anything. Good thing nothing happened. Did you go see Oilers' warmups? I was there with my camera, but the focus was off and most of the pics didn't come out too well.

Old
01-13-2004, 03:18 PM
Meanashell11

I was at the Rangers game earlier this season (OILERS won) and my son was wearing an OILERS jersey. He took a little heat until some huge guy, and I mean 350 pounds, sat down a row higher wearing OILER silks. Never had a problem after that.

Old
01-13-2004, 04:38 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
I was with my husband and he wasn't wearing Oilers colors, so that probably kept it tame. The guy next to him asked if we drove in from Edmonton. Nope, we're from NJ across the state line.

I smiled and clapped when the Oilers scored, but I didn't rub it in or anything like that. I, too was ready for anything. Good thing nothing happened. Did you go see Oilers' warmups? I was there with my camera, but the focus was off and most of the pics didn't come out too well.
Oh yeah... we were there at like 4:30 (we had to stay in the box office until like 5:15 though).

When my friend gives me the cd full of pics, I will be putting them up on my site, you are more than welcome (as is everyone) to save them and print them or whatever.

Old
01-13-2004, 09:21 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11
I was at the Rangers game earlier this season (OILERS won) and my son was wearing an OILERS jersey. He took a little heat until some huge guy, and I mean 350 pounds, sat down a row higher wearing OILER silks. Never had a problem after that.
thats just hilarious.

tho iv only been to one hockey game in the Skyreach (back then) when the Hawks came to lose 3-1 at most the only thing happened was this guy was poked fun out of on the jumbotron, i missed what was said but i don't think it was anything rude or harsh banter just a small funny remark about it.

Old
01-14-2004, 01:20 PM
Pandastyle

Send a message via AIM to Pandastyle
Quote:
Damn... I was in 216, and no one said a peep towards me... then again between my friend (a flyers fan) and I, we'd probably make a good backfield combo size wise in the NFL, so maybe that had something to do with it... who knows.

But from what I had heard before I went, I was definitely ready for anything, but I'm glad nothing happened, and I think it was a case of a couple of isolated incidents being portrayed as the norm.
Thanks for saying that Dawgbone, I'm from Philly (and am a Flyers and Oilers fan) and live in Charlotte, North Carolina now. And all I've been hearing down here on the news is how Philly fans are "rude and crude" and how you better be extra careful if you go to the Eagles-Panthers game on Sunday. But you're right, it's all a bunch of crock, it's just a few rowdy fans that they're using to stereotype all Philly fans.

Old
01-14-2004, 01:27 PM
Yorkiegirl161861

Hey Dawgbone- just a quick question. On Saturday at the Flyers game, were you the guy in the road white Dvorak jersey? If so, I was standing across from you taking pictures of warmups.

Old
01-14-2004, 03:53 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Hey Dawgbone- just a quick question. On Saturday at the Flyers game, were you the guy in the road white Dvorak jersey? If so, I was standing across from you taking pictures of warmups.
No, I was in the 3rd Semenov one.

Closed Thread