HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The book is out on Huet eh Pierre?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-20-2006, 05:36 AM
  #26
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,695
vCash: 500
the color guys reek of banality these days

so its refreshing to have an opinionated guy like Pierre work as a colour.

He's not perfect. He wont be right all the time but neither should people expect him to be.

I dont always agree with McGuire's point of view but so what? We all disagree with each other at some point on this board too.

Its Pierre's ability to stand out of the banality and his obvious passion and enthusiasm for the game which I admire.

As for the "book is out" comment... I think its no secret that the best way to beat goalies these days is to go high... not just huet... but any goalie at the NHL... easier said than done, of course.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 06:58 AM
  #27
onice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,527
vCash: 500
The book is out on Huet


And the writer has dyslexia.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 10:22 AM
  #28
laubelroc
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
book

the book is out on mcguire turn him off .I will turn off tsn when he is on it.

laubelroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 10:27 AM
  #29
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Personally I think Pierre has had a personal vendetta against the Habs since they made Andre Savard GM and he was never considered for the post. Before that he was pretty much a Habs kissass as a colour commentator on radio broadcasts.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 10:39 AM
  #30
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
I like Pierre McGuire. Yeah, he's often over the top, he expresses some opinions emphatically and makes them sound too black and white, but that's what he's paid to do. Sort of like when posters use capitalized bold all the time.

Melnick spoke last week about how guys like McGuire are expected to come on every day and have a clear, provocative opinion about every issue. Some will be incisive, some will stink. I learn more about the league when I listen to him, at least I believe I do.

I think because we hear so much of him we hear patterns and get tired of them. Certain things, like the drafting of Price, I wish he'd let go of. The point's been made,now time will tell.

Yeah, he plays some favorites at times and has his targets, yeah, I know he doesn't like Milbury, but what's the big deal. He's forgot more hockey than I'll ever know and at times I wish he'd tone it down, but if he's on, I make a point to listen. There aren't many others I do that for.

I'd hate to listen to guys who just repeat what they think we want to hear.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 10:47 AM
  #31
Mad Habber
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,712
vCash: 500
To those defending Maguire's comments on Huet, I seem to recall Maguire calling him a "Flash in the Pants". Which would mean that his career was supposed to go downhill this season because the book was out. I suspect Pierre is doing a re-write on that book. To me it was a personnal attack on Huet, because he played for the Canadiens. He doesn't miss an occasion to minimize any thing good that happens to the Habs.

I don't personnally like the guy. Sure he stands out, but too much in my eyes. He is a loud know-it-all who seems to think that his opinion matters more than anyone elses.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 11:12 AM
  #32
Montrealer
Registered User
 
Montrealer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chambly QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,470
vCash: 500
Habs Fans: Leaders in Threads About Subjects Discussed Ad Nauseum

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 11:13 AM
  #33
Artie
Registered User
 
Artie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal, Que
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
To those defending Maguire's comments on Huet, I seem to recall Maguire calling him a "Flash in the Pants". Which would mean that his career was supposed to go downhill this season because the book was out. I suspect Pierre is doing a re-write on that book. To me it was a personnal attack on Huet, because he played for the Canadiens. He doesn't miss an occasion to minimize any thing good that happens to the Habs.

I don't personnally like the guy. Sure he stands out, but too much in my eyes. He is a loud know-it-all who seems to think that his opinion matters more than anyone elses.
I don't recall him saying Huet was a "flash in the pan". The conversation came about because everybody was convinced that Huet was going to carry the Habs to the cup. Does everyone not recall the hype. McGuire responded that, Huet's success was in part due to him being an unknown and now that teams (and specifically Carolina) had a chance to watch the game films, the book on him was out. Think of how a pitcher sometimes has a more difficult time in a game the second time through the lineup as opposed to the first time.

What exactly did he say that was so offensive. Analysts make predictions all the time. Sometimes they are right sometimes they are wrong. Recently he has been very positive about the direction the clubs management is taking and that Habs fans should be very encouraged by the organization. He has also wieghed in on the Latendresse issue, as well as a bunch of other people. He has his beliefs and he's entitled to them. I, we, you don't have to agree with everything, but to call him an idiot just because of his point of view seems very short-sighted to me.

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 11:16 AM
  #34
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I like Pierre McGuire. Yeah, he's often over the top, he expresses some opinions emphatically and makes them sound too black and white, but that's what he's paid to do. Sort of like when posters use capitalized bold all the time.

Melnick spoke last week about how guys like McGuire are expected to come on every day and have a clear, provocative opinion about every issue. Some will be incisive, some will stink. I learn more about the league when I listen to him, at least I believe I do.

I think because we hear so much of him we hear patterns and get tired of them. Certain things, like the drafting of Price, I wish he'd let go of. The point's been made,now time will tell.

Yeah, he plays some favorites at times and has his targets, yeah, I know he doesn't like Milbury, but what's the big deal. He's forgot more hockey than I'll ever know and at times I wish he'd tone it down, but if he's on, I make a point to listen. There aren't many others I do that for.

I'd hate to listen to guys who just repeat what they think we want to hear.
Quoted for truth. I dont agree with McGuire all the time, But his general hockey knowledge is way up there. I like his energy and the fact that he takes positions. Some times he has me shaking my head or rolling my eyes. But I still find him iteresting and like listening to what he has to say. No one here is complaining when he says Higgins is a special player...

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 11:50 AM
  #35
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
To those defending Maguire's comments on Huet, I seem to recall Maguire calling him a "Flash in the Pants". Which would mean that his career was supposed to go downhill this season because the book was out. I suspect Pierre is doing a re-write on that book. To me it was a personnal attack on Huet, because he played for the Canadiens. He doesn't miss an occasion to minimize any thing good that happens to the Habs.

I don't personnally like the guy. Sure he stands out, but too much in my eyes. He is a loud know-it-all who seems to think that his opinion matters more than anyone elses.
I haven't had a good flash in my pants for awhile now.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 11:53 AM
  #36
LePoche69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,650
vCash: 500
I would say that, given the number of threads and posts on the topic, a library is out on Huet.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 11:54 AM
  #37
LePoche69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I haven't had a good flash in my pants for awhile now.
Even with the sheeps?

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 12:04 PM
  #38
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
Even with the sheeps?
As I type this, I'm out of breath from chasing the damn goat back into the pen. She was wandering down the driveway. Someone's going to have a project when they get home from school.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 12:14 PM
  #39
Gros Bill
Registered User
 
Gros Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Rwanda
Posts: 5,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
As I type this, I'm out of breath...
Yeah, typing is hard work. No wonder you don't get the ole flash in the pants anymore.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 12:28 PM
  #40
Mikhail Grabovsky*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: at your girlfriends
Country: Canada
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Personally I think Pierre has had a personal vendetta against the Habs since they made Andre Savard GM and he was never considered for the post. Before that he was pretty much a Habs kissass as a colour commentator on radio broadcasts.

Bravo.. someone who gets McGuires game.

Mikhail Grabovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 12:33 PM
  #41
Mikhail Grabovsky*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: at your girlfriends
Country: Canada
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Quoted for truth. I dont agree with McGuire all the time, But his general hockey knowledge is way up there. I like his energy and the fact that he takes positions. Some times he has me shaking my head or rolling my eyes. But I still find him iteresting and like listening to what he has to say. No one here is complaining when he says Higgins is a special player...
Because we and others already know this. It's not like he's taking a chance on saying how good Higgins is, any GM in the NHL would die for a Higgins.

Mikhail Grabovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 01:54 PM
  #42
AD
Registered User
 
AD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bigassofficetower
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 14,576
vCash: 500
I like Pierre McGuire.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 02:10 PM
  #43
Habnot
 
Habnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
I don't recall him saying Huet was a "flash in the pan". The conversation came about because everybody was convinced that Huet was going to carry the Habs to the cup. Does everyone not recall the hype. McGuire responded that, Huet's success was in part due to him being an unknown and now that teams (and specifically Carolina) had a chance to watch the game films, the book on him was out. Think of how a pitcher sometimes has a more difficult time in a game the second time through the lineup as opposed to the first time.

What exactly did he say that was so offensive. Analysts make predictions all the time. Sometimes they are right sometimes they are wrong. Recently he has been very positive about the direction the clubs management is taking and that Habs fans should be very encouraged by the organization. He has also wieghed in on the Latendresse issue, as well as a bunch of other people. He has his beliefs and he's entitled to them. I, we, you don't have to agree with everything, but to call him an idiot just because of his point of view seems very short-sighted to me.
I agree. I think that some of McGuire's unpopular opinions are due to his like and dislikes. It's just that everytime he as an opportunity he just hammers again at his point. Just once I would like him to stop being critical of Huet, Price, Latendresse, positions of his that have or are being proven wrong.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 04:43 PM
  #44
White Snake*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 267
vCash: 500
McGuire's Predictions:

2004: Bruins will beat the Habs in 5 games
2005-06: Habs will miss playoffs
2006-07: Habs will miss playoffs

Great predictions.

White Snake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 04:47 PM
  #45
White Snake*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 267
vCash: 500
Future McGuire Precitions:

2007 ist round: Opposing team in 5
2007 2nd round: Opposing team in 4
2007 3rd round: Opposing team in 5
2007 Stanley cup: Opposing team in 4

2007-08 prediction: Habs miss playoffs, Huet flashes without pants.

White Snake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 04:53 PM
  #46
yukoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Pierre McGuire is one of the best hockey minds in the world. There's no debating that. He understands the game better than anyone around. He was taught by Scotty Bowman and has the respect of every player and manager in the league.

He has the smarts to be a top coach, but in my opinion lacks the people skills. He would make an incredible assistant coach (and has, in the past), but I would rather be in his position, getting to go all over North America and watch games, than be an assistant coach.

He takes alot of unwarrented flack from Habs fans because he's critical about the team. That's his job. He praises the team a whole bunch but nobody mentions that. While he did say "the book was out on Huet", he also mentioned that he has full confidence that Rollie Melanson (who's he's praised as the best goaltending coach in the league) will help Huet overcome the weaknesses in his game.

A few weeks ago when Huet was struggling, alot of people were on here saying that he goes down too quickly, he has poor lateral movement, etc...That's the exact same thing McGuire was saying too.

Some fans just can't take the truth.
The truth is Huet is playing exactly the same way he was last year when he posted 7 shut outs in 35 games. Pierre is just hedging his statements by giving credit to Melanson, rather Pierre should man-up and admit he was WRONG. According to Pierre, the book was out weeks before the beginnign of the playoffs last year...he was wrong then, he's wrong now, and he STILL hasn't admitted it.

6 weeks ago, Pierre came on air and said Huet and Aebi had both shown they could not be starting goalies, already patting himself on the back for his call on HUet. (Somehow in his 'great' hockey mind, 6 mediocre games by Huet proved he wasn't a starter, although he played 35 straight the year before...go figure that one out)

Today he said: "Give me 45 games and we'll see where your at..."

OK Pierre, we'll give you 45 games, will you admit you're wrong? I HIGHLY doubt it.


Last edited by yukoner: 11-20-2006 at 05:01 PM.
yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 04:59 PM
  #47
yukoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
I agree. I think that some of McGuire's unpopular opinions are due to his like and dislikes. It's just that everytime he as an opportunity he just hammers again at his point. Just once I would like him to stop being critical of Huet, Price, Latendresse, positions of his that have or are being proven wrong.
That's Pierre's problem, he makes prediction's and then clings to them far too long when they don't pan out.

The other annoying thing, is when he does make the right call, like with Higgins, he talks like that player is god or something.

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 05:50 PM
  #48
znk
Registered User
 
znk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Snake View Post
McGuire's Predictions:

2004: Bruins will beat the Habs in 5 games
2005-06: Habs will miss playoffs
2006-07: Habs will miss playoffs

Great predictions.
Humm as I recall McGuire said the Habs would be arround 7-8-9-10 th this year. He also said the habs were better then he thought last year after a few games because of Markov.
It's fun to only remember the negatives if that's your thing but he has alot of positives to say about this team starting by his total admiration for the staff in place.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 06:07 PM
  #49
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner View Post
The truth is Huet is playing exactly the same way he was last year when he posted 7 shut outs in 35 games. Pierre is just hedging his statements by giving credit to Melanson, rather Pierre should man-up and admit he was WRONG. According to Pierre, the book was out weeks before the beginnign of the playoffs last year...he was wrong then, he's wrong now, and he STILL hasn't admitted it.

6 weeks ago, Pierre came on air and said Huet and Aebi had both shown they could not be starting goalies, already patting himself on the back for his call on HUet. (Somehow in his 'great' hockey mind, 6 mediocre games by Huet proved he wasn't a starter, although he played 35 straight the year before...go figure that one out)

Today he said: "Give me 45 games and we'll see where your at..."

OK Pierre, we'll give you 45 games, will you admit you're wrong? I HIGHLY doubt it.
Huet struggled pretty bad at the start of this season.

Today Carbo is quoted in the Gazette saying that Huet has improved and is working hard with Melanson. That's exactly what McGuire said.

__________________
Yours in Christ,

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 06:10 PM
  #50
CheeseSandwich*
 
CheeseSandwich*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Gloucester
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner View Post
That's Pierre's problem, he makes prediction's and then clings to them far too long when they don't pan out.

The other annoying thing, is when he does make the right call, like with Higgins, he talks like that player is god or something.
Yeah I think you're bang on here.

I don't mind when he's positive about players but what he says about Huet is garbage.

I still think he's one of the best though. Or at least my favourite.

CheeseSandwich* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.