HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Mouth guards?

Old
09-14-2013, 09:30 AM
SCBruCrew4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmutter View Post
The rink has lots of threads where the visor vs cage debate can happen. The OP asked about mouthguards.

I've tried several boil and bites rom the cheapo's to top of the line and they all suck. A professional one is worth it even if it's more expensive. My kids wear them and I've found that the professional ones will last until they need a new one for fit while the boil and bites are loose in their mouth so they chew on them and they are wrecked in a month or less plus they never sit where they need to be anyway. A professional one will stick to your teeth allowing you to breathe, talk and drink. Call around to several dentists for prices, it varies in my area from $25 to $110 for the exact same thing.
THANK YOU! This is exactly what I wanted to hear. I didn't mean or want to start a visor vs cage argument obviously. And again I may do so in the near future. Thanks again.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 12:42 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBruCrew4 View Post
Lol thanks for all the advice guys. I went with a mouthguard from a local hockey store that has a $5000 dental coverage. I have read the insurance on it and it's clear and concise.

And on the plus side (I guess in a way) I won't actually be playing in a league this year, instead I'll be playing in the pick-up "league" that I played in last year. No benders or any kind of BS that beer leagues do typically bring.

I appreciate all the input and when I do join a league I'll think long and hard about buying a cage for it.

(and to the dope, yes dope, who is calling someone a pansy for wearing a cage..I'm sure you look beautiful)
I very much doubt that. Would you dare tell us what brand and model it is or post the insurance text so I can explain what's wrong with it? You might want to read this in the meantime:
http://dcmouthguards.wordpress.com/2...print-is-read/

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 01:28 PM
SCBruCrew4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
I very much doubt that. Would you dare tell us what brand and model it is or post the insurance text so I can explain what's wrong with it? You might want to read this in the meantime:
http://dcmouthguards.wordpress.com/2...print-is-read/
Wow...yeah the first "fine print" is more like the one I bought.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 01:40 PM
Trevor3

I went to the dentist and had a custom one done up from them. It was covered by dental insurance and fits perfectly, I can actually still communicate on the ice.

For what it's worth, I've never seen a rec league player wear a full cage. It's probably a local thing, but I've never seen a guy keep his cage on after finishing minor hockey. Most of the older guys who play rec just go bare face, no visors etc...

Trevor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 01:49 PM
CanucksSayEh

I like having something to bite on when going into the corners and taking some contact. The cheap ones make me gag though, and it's hard to talk. Think I'll get a proper one from the dentist.

CanucksSayEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 01:36 AM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by intangible View Post
Mouth guards aren't just good for protecting your teeth, but also to reduce the incidence or magnitude of concussions.
All medical research and journals say that there is no evidence of it reducing the incidence or magnitude of concussions. I used to think the same thing until a family member who is in the medical field heard me say it and didn't believe me. We then looked it up on various reputable websites and books and she was correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
A mouthguard will lessen the impact of your teeth coming together on a bad fall, though, protecting your jaw.
Protecting your jaw isn't protecting you from a concussion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo10 View Post
Not completely true. A mouth guard will absorb some of the kinetic energy from a direct (Straight on) impact to the lower jaw, lessening the concussion causing brain-rattle. Having said that, most concussions are from side / rear impacts to the head, which a mouthguard will not help prevent. The spirit of your post is correct, but technically incorrect.
There is no medical evidence of this unfortunately. You could follow the 'better safe than sorry' mantra with it though.

I've never liked mouth guards and don't use them as an adult. I do wear a full cage now though after I had a tooth knocked out and it cost thousands to have an implant put in.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 04:03 AM
howeaboutthat

I can't get on with mouth guards. I've tried everything from 'boil and bite' guards up to a custom-made one paid for by the military. When I spoke to the dentist about this he said that I'd probably always struggle with them as (technically) I have quite a small mouth.

I also hate wearing a cage. Tried many different sorts and don't get on with any of them.

howeaboutthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:20 AM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by howeaboutthat View Post
I can't get on with mouth guards. I've tried everything from 'boil and bite' guards up to a custom-made one paid for by the military. When I spoke to the dentist about this he said that I'd probably always struggle with them as (technically) I have quite a small mouth.

I also hate wearing a cage. Tried many different sorts and don't get on with any of them.
Have you tried the fishbowl? I mean, I never have, but I assume it'd give you better visibility as long as it isn't fogging up.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:38 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
All medical research and journals say that there is no evidence of it reducing the incidence or magnitude of concussions. I used to think the same thing until a family member who is in the medical field heard me say it and didn't believe me. We then looked it up on various reputable websites and books and she was correct.

Protecting your jaw isn't protecting you from a concussion though.

There is no medical evidence of this unfortunately. You could follow the 'better safe than sorry' mantra with it though.

I've never liked mouth guards and don't use them as an adult. I do wear a full cage now though after I had a tooth knocked out and it cost thousands to have an implant put in.
The part you failed to mention is that the reason there is no proof that they help to prevent concussions is that there is no way to prove it, even though there is data that supports the claims. The only way to prove that mouthguards or helmets work would be to test the claims on real people and that ain't gonna happen.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:59 AM
howeaboutthat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
The part you failed to mention is that the reason there is no proof that they help to prevent concussions is that there is no way to prove it, even though there is data that supports the claims. The only way to prove that mouthguards or helmets work would be to test the claims on real people and that ain't gonna happen.
Woah there tiger, that isn't right at all, there are plenty of ways to test the claims. Human analogues have been used since the late 40's for collision research and current computer modelling is amazingly accurate and data produced from such modelling is accepted as accurate in many fields, from vehicle manufacturing, aerospace engineering all the way through to medicine, which includes sports medicine.

Its not up to the doubters to 'prove' mouth guards can prevent/reduce concussions, (they aren't trying to hawk a product on such claims) its up to the manufacturers to do so, using peer-reviewable data.

Joecool16 - Yes I have tried a fishbowl, it felt very claustrophobic.

Old
09-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I can't recommend anything because I wear a cage and no mouthguard.

There is no evidence of mouthguards preventing concussions. There's speculation, but nothing has been proven, just like with helmets.

Also, if someone says something extremely dumb again, please report the post and the mods will take care of it. Thank you to everyone who was reasonable and an adult!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 03:23 PM
JoeCool16

vCash: 1000
Quote:
How long for? You might get used to it eventually. Don't like cages, don't like fishbowls, don't like mouthguards... stop being so difficult!

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 06:20 PM
howeaboutthat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
How long for? You might get used to it eventually. Don't like cages, don't like fishbowls, don't like mouthguards... stop being so difficult!
I'm starting to go off pucks too after taking a slap shot tonight in that tiny gap between legs guards and pants armour.

Old
09-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's kind of veering off topic but I didn't like a fishbowl for the fogging and heat. A thin bar cage was the best compromise. And since I have a bit of sports asthma, ditching the mouthguard helps breathing.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 11:42 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Woah there tiger, that isn't right at all, there are plenty of ways to test the claims. Human analogues have been used since the late 40's for collision research and current computer modelling is amazingly accurate and data produced from such modelling is accepted as accurate in many fields, from vehicle manufacturing, aerospace engineering all the way through to medicine, which includes sports medicine.

Its not up to the doubters to 'prove' mouth guards can prevent/reduce concussions, (they aren't trying to hawk a product on such claims) its up to the manufacturers to do so, using peer-reviewable data.

To prove it you actually have to subject real people to real impacts, not models to simulated hits. All the models do is support existing data, not prove anything. There is no way to simulate exactly the forces and impacts that cause or don't cause concussions since no one has yet been able to determine what will and won't cause a concussion. The data is out there, the "proof" is not. In case you haven't been told, peer-reviewable data and proof ain't the same thing.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote