HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Update: Marty St. Louis named Captain, A's: Stamkos, Thompson/Carle (away/home)

View Poll Results: Who should be the next Lightning captain?
Martin St. Louis 44 81.48%
Steven Stamkos 10 18.52%
somebody else 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-10-2013, 10:43 AM
jg39
SFY is great

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
The best question she asks as to why MSL shouldn't be captain:

"Since when has sports been logical?" (Grammatically incorrect btw...it's either "when has sport" or "when have sports")

"The safer bet is going with Stamkos over St. Louis, in that [MSL's contract runs through end of next season] regard."

I understand the article writer's position, but when you have only one player who won the franchise's only Stanley Cup, who is a six-time All-Star, a two-time Art Ross Trophy winner (including last season), a three-time Lady Byng Trophy winner, and a one-time Pearson Trophy and Hart Trophy winner, who will be going into his 13th season with the team...you give that guy the captaincy.

It would be different if MSL was just a scorer, who didn't provide leadership, and simply did his job on the ice and went home. We all know he's not that as he is a leader off the ice, in the community, etc.

It's not as though people who aren't Lightning fans would ask "Why the hell did the give it to MSL?!" Marty is still a marketable player, who has worked his ass off for this team through really good and really bad, and he should be the captain. Stammer will be a great captain after Marty, but I think now is the time for Marty to wear the C...he's earned it.

jg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 10:50 AM
newham89

Yeah, the only way Marty doesn't get this is if he turns it down to give it to Stamkos.

newham89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 11:35 AM
chasespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by newham89 View Post
Yeah, the only way Marty doesn't get this is if he turns it down to give it to Stamkos.
Was coming here to say this. Marty is the heart and soul of this team.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 03:51 PM
TheDaysOf 04

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...rves-a/2140980
Quote:
Stamkos on Tuesday, the day before the start of camp at the Tampa Bay Times Forum, said St. Louis deserves the honor.

"You have to think, from my point of view anyway, it will go to Marty," Stamkos said. "He's been a guy who has been here a long time. He deserves a chance to wear the C."
Quote:
"We all know what kind of guy Marty is and the leader that he is," Stamkos said, and added, "No matter who gets it, it's not going to change the way anyone looks at anyone in this room. But if I had to put some money down, I'd put it on Marty."

Old
09-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Stammer Time
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
Marty has 2 more years left on his deal. He gets the "C" for those two years. On July 1st of 2015 there is a joint announcement of a long term Stamkos deal on the first day he is eligible to sign one and he gets the "C".

Stammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killorn View Post
Marty has 2 more years left on his deal. He gets the "C" for those two years. On July 1st of 2015 there is a joint announcement of a long term Stamkos deal on the first day he is eligible to sign one and he gets the "C".
Why not allow St. Louis to have it until he retires (I don't think he retires after his current contract ends).

Last edited by Steve Yzerman: 09-10-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Yzerman View Post
Why not allow St. Louis to have it until he retires (I don't think he retires after his current contract ends).
My thoughts exactly, who cares if it's 2 years or if they want to prep Stamkos for the future, the team needs stability now especially after losing Vinny. Marty is the guy who's going to pull the team together this season.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 01:55 AM
TheDaysOf 04

http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/st-l...tend-20130910/
Quote:
The team is not expected to name the ninth captain in franchise history until after training camp concludes and St. Louis said he's not worried about whether he ends up with the C on his sweater. Instead, he is concentrating on getting through training camp on the preseason schedule.

“I'll be ready if called upon,'' he said.

The other leading candidate believed to be under consideration for the captaincy, Steven Stamkos, says naming St. Louis to that role seems a logical choice.

“Marty is a guy that I've been trying to learn from since Day One, everyone knows that,'' Stamkos said. “He's a heart-and-soul guy on this team and he's been here for a long time. He'd get my vote.''

That's the respect St. Louis has earned in his tenure with Tampa Bay.

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 05:18 AM
Felonious Python
Still Drej

Consider this, and I know I'm preaching to the choir.

If the players were to vote for their captain, who would they pick? I think unanimously they'd pick Marty.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Kusic
Be The Thunder

Send a message via ICQ to Kusic

Kusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Felonious Python
Still Drej

zeykshade is the cheese.

Old
09-15-2013, 05:13 PM
LeanMrfuzzles

Without question Marty Should get the C even Stammer said he deserved it. But knowing that a lot of teams are going for younger captains it wouldn't surprise me if the Bolts made Stamkos captain.

LeanMrfuzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:33 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Has MSL indicated at all whether he'll retire when his current contract is done?

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 10:35 AM
JFleegs

Gudas Beard should be an option

JFleegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 11:51 AM
CupsOverCash

Marty deserves to be captain and he will probably get it. My other thought is they might do a Captain A and B kind of thing. Stamkos is the future of this team and Marty only has so much time left. Wouldn't surprise me if they switched out the C once in a while. No doubt though that everybody in that locker knows Marty is the best leader in that locker room. It would just put a little more of that leadership role on Stamkos as well.

CupsOverCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 03:01 AM
LunaticNik
Go Bolts!

Stamkos should get it. 3 years left in his contract. Marty is getting old. Give it to the player we want to see stick around for the rest of his career, not someone on their way out.

LunaticNik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2013, 08:18 PM
JETZZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikInHD View Post
Stamkos should get it. 3 years left in his contract. Marty is getting old. Give it to the player we want to see stick around for the rest of his career, not someone on their way out.
Stamkos is already a few years into his career, therfore that much closer to retirement. Better give it to Drouin

JETZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 08:52 AM
behemolari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
With Lecavalier gone who do you think wears the C next season? My vote goes to Martin St Louis.
Filppula

behemolari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 12:04 PM
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by behemolari View Post
Filppula
It's just not happening.

Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 12:03 AM
TheDaysOf 04

http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/two-...medium=twitter
Quote:
“There are captains that have been quiet and captains that have been vocal,’’ Lightning coach Jon Cooper said. “But you have to have a presence, there is no doubt. So, whoever our captain turns out to be will have a presence.’’
Quote:
“You see both (stamkos and St. Louis) of them working together, how hard they work, it’s contagious,’’ center Nate Thompson said. “They both are (vocal) when they need to be. When they both say something everyone listens, because it’s usually something pretty important and it usually goes a long way.’’
Quote:
“He’s a leader in all regards. Whether it’s leading by example or in the room being vocal, he does it all,’’ Stamkos said of St. Louis. “Some guys are just one or the other, but he does both.

“You can’t teach that — you either have it or you don’t, and Marty has that in him. He is a heart-and-soul kind of guy, and he’s been doing it in this league for a long time and he’s definitely deserving.’’
Quote:
“I think Steven, the kind of player that he is, the way he plays the game, he plays pretty hard,’’ St. Louis said. “And Steven is a guy that can be vocal. He is developing into a pretty good leader, so on top of that he plays the game at a high level.

“I think he understands how you play in this league, how you survive and how you dominate. It’s a whole other level of hard work and he gets it.’’
Quote:
“It’s not just one guy, but one guy has to be the leader of that group as well,’’ Cooper said.

And there is a certain reverence that comes with being the captain of a hockey team.

“Hockey is the one sport where you are actually physically recognized as the leader. You are the guy that everybody looks to. You are the one that is accountable for your team, and there is just a ton of importance put on that. I don’t think in all the other sports there is anybody like the captain of the hockey team. “For me, it’s the highest honor possible.’’
https://twitter.com/erlendssonTBO
Quote:
Event is 6:30 - 9:30, so maybe between 7-8? RT @Aeriedk: about what time tomorrow night should we know our new captain?

TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 12:51 AM
2 Weekes Notice

Going on the record to predict St. Louis-C, Stamkos-A, Carle-A.

Though I don't think that's all that much of a limb to climb out on.

2 Weekes Notice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 03:40 AM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

vCash: 50
I'd prefer Thompson for the second 'A'.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 04:21 AM
Felonious Python
Still Drej

I'd expect Salo to get the 2nd 'A' at this point.

Old
10-01-2013, 06:33 AM
HoseEmDown

Any chance Drouin gets an A? Oh yeah forgot he busted already, oops.

They'll probably give the C to St. Louis just so they can get the people who have his jersey with the A to buy a new one. In three years they can then do the same with Stamkos.

Hope they give the second A to Crombeen just for RobertGuess. Think Hedman should get it though.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 08:20 AM
FDfranklin
Standclose

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Any chance Drouin gets an A? Oh yeah forgot he busted already, oops.

They'll probably give the C to St. Louis just so they can get the people who have his jersey with the A to buy a new one. In three years they can then do the same with Stamkos.

Hope they give the second A to Crombeen just for RobertGuess. Think Hedman should get it though.

I just bought my Jersey last season with an A. I think they can replace the patch? IDK..

It will be announced at 7:30.. please be Marty..

FDfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote