HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pre #3| Monday, Sep. 16, 2013|Washington at Flyers (split squad) | 7:00 p.m. ET

Old
09-17-2013, 11:42 AM
OgbertTheNerd
what

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Gervais is basically the past and Mez should be gone.
Yea right! Did you see his bomb last night?

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Akeson might get traded, if the team doesn't have a future for him, you know they'll do him a solid and move him. I'm sure just get a pick.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 12:18 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Akeson might get traded, if the team doesn't have a future for him, you know they'll do him a solid and move him. I'm sure just get a pick.
Considering how low the Flyers' prospect talent level is, why give away a player who is really starting to sniff the opportunity to get NHL playing time? I'd understand if they swapped Akeson for a defenseman or goaltender of equal promise, but just "doing him a solid" is not good business sense.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 12:20 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevD10 View Post
Yea right! Did you see his bomb last night?

that was a hellava goal on a ECHL goalie

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Considering how low the Flyers' prospect talent level is, why give away a player who is really starting to sniff the opportunity to get NHL playing time? I'd understand if they swapped Akeson for a defenseman or goaltender of equal promise, but just "doing him a solid" is not good business sense.
But they do that, a lot.

Also, this kid is eyeing up a Top 6 spot, right?

Where in the top 6 can he slide in that isn't already taken?

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 12:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
But they do that, a lot.

Also, this kid is eyeing up a Top 6 spot, right?

Where in the top 6 can he slide in that isn't already taken?
Well, if he can perform well enough to push one of the current forwards out of the top 6 that will just further strengthen the 3rd line and the roster in general. It would be nice to see a strong 4 line offense again.

That's "if" he can do it, though. Like I was with Read, I'll remain skeptical until it happens and probably for a bit afterwards, too.

09-17-2013, 12:28 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I really dont think Akeson is a top 9 NHL player right now. What are you going to get for him? a 5th or 6th round pick? leave him ADK, that team is going to be looking for guys to put the puck in the net.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 12:36 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Wouldn't be surprised to see Morin get a 5 game tryout. He doesn't look out of place at all. He shouldn't stay in the NHL for longer than his 5 games, but I feel like kids tend to have big years after being returned to juniors from an NHL tryout. Could be something to think about.
I to think he may get a shot to play a few games with the big club when the season starts if he continues to impress. I really liked his composer so far. However no matter what I still think he should go back to junior to mature. But I really was impressed with how he looked last night. Hey its only one game, but the kid looks like the Flyers got it right when they selected him.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 01:21 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I really dont think Akeson is a top 9 NHL player right now. What are you going to get for him? a 5th or 6th round pick? leave him ADK, that team is going to be looking for guys to put the puck in the net.
He may not a top 9 player here but most teams don't have the flyers depth. He could make an NHL roster now IMO. Points stand though that as unproven as he is he wouldn't be worth much.

I maintain that he will be one of the last guys competing for a spot this year.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 01:23 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
If he continues to look like he did last night though how can you not? I know he was a long shot two years ago but the kid worked extremely hard to fix his problems. If he shows he helps the team, would be stupid to deny him a roster spot.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 01:54 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Guys are going off the deep end a little here with Morin. Firstly, we already have like 12 NHL defensemen on the roster and are over the cap. I just can't imagine a scenario where we both free up the roster spot and cap space for the ELC he would need to sign even for those 9 games while we left Gustaffson or Mez in the press box.

If there is a major injury in camp, I guess all bets are off.

Having watched some of the game, he looked a lot better than I expected as one of the more vocal detractors. I saw enough right now to suggest that this guy does in fact have 1D potential. He needs to bulk up because given his physical style of play, he will put his body through a lot of abuse by dishing out the hits and his strong corner work. Being physical requires endurance and toughness nearly as much as receiving the abuse does.

He also still needs a fair bit of offensive refinement getting his shot more efficient and making crisp passes on a little more consistent basis. Literally every tool is there though and he just needs some strong development time to put it all together.

I also think his arrival is less than the 3-4 years out I expected. Morin could very well get to the NHL by 20. Very exciting.

I agree with everything you said. The only reason I would keep him up for the 9 games would be to let him see how the guys prepare for games and train in between games so he can learn how to keep his weight during the season.

Playing now would do the kid a disservice. The style of game he plays he would have grown men targeting him. I'd like to see him around 220-225 when he makes the jump. That isn

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 02:00 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
If he continues to look like he did last night though how can you not? I know he was a long shot two years ago but the kid worked extremely hard to fix his problems. If he shows he helps the team, would be stupid to deny him a roster spot.
plus, how can you make a decision on Akeson until you know what is happening with Read. If Read can't be signed wouldn't that make it possible for Akeson to find a spot.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 02:53 PM
MP92

Akeson belongs in the NHL imo. His skill level and vision support that. With our depth though, it will be hard for him to crack a spot. So what if he's not a good two way player. Not every player in the league is well rounded. Briere has had a great career and he doesn't know the first thing about defense.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 04:55 PM
healthyscratch

So Akeson is the next best thing since slice bread I see.

healthyscratch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 05:11 PM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Akeson belongs in the NHL imo. His skill level and vision support that. With our depth though, it will be hard for him to crack a spot. So what if he's not a good two way player. Not every player in the league is well rounded. Briere has had a great career and he doesn't know the first thing about defense.
The Flyers already have too many forwards who don't exactly excel defensively and putting someone like Akeson in the top 9 could be trouble. Then again, I've only ever seen him play two or three games and am just going off of what I've read. Maybe he's improved his two way play.

Also, for all the people that supported not bringing Gagne back, putting a player like Akeson in his spot doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 05:46 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevD10 View Post
The Flyers already have too many forwards who don't exactly excel defensively and putting someone like Akeson in the top 9 could be trouble. Then again, I've only ever seen him play two or three games and am just going off of what I've read. Maybe he's improved his two way play.

Also, for all the people that supported not bringing Gagne back, putting a player like Akeson in his spot doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Absolutely he has. He worked hard last year on playing in his own zone and it paid off. He was on the phantoms top pk unit to end the season as well. Granted they didn't have holmstrom at that point. IMO at this point he'd be about average in his own zone at the NHL level. Considering McGinn was really bad defensively last year and Briere is gone I really don't see his defense being a factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
So Akeson is the next best thing since slice bread I see.
I've been pulling for him since he was signed. So my routing for him now should come as a surprise to no one.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
This will be interesting. I've watched both the Toronto games and Cousins looks like a really good player who will be NHL ready by next year. He just has the skill. McGinn looked good last night too. So did Brown, who could help in a checking role. Laughton looked good last night too, so there are lots of guys pushing for spots.

Never a dull moment. If Akeson looks that good with Couts and Voracek, maybe he will look just as good with Read at RW....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote