HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's going on with Perreault?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-20-2006, 05:49 PM
  #1
Mathieu_habsfan
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6
vCash: 500
What's going on with Perreault?

It's really interesting to see that Yanic Perreault is doing really well with the coyotes of phoenix so far... 6 goals and 3 assists in only 8 games! Good for a player with a contract of 700 000 dollars a year.

what's going on with him!? 22 goals and 35 assists in 69 games last year and he's doing very well this year. Here, we have to consider that he has one of the best face off pourcentage around the league with 62.7% (that's means that he is very important when we have to win the face off). Last year, 10 power play goals and 2 ppg this year in eight games, not really really good but interesting because last year the second best in montreal was kovalev with 9 goals. He's not so bad in his defensive play -3 for last year and this year too.

My question is : Did Montreal made a mistake to not resign him after the season he had with the predators last year? Or it was a mistake to let him go in 2003-2004

I think he was not the kind of player that Montreal needed... I was'nt happy to see him go and I think that he would be a good fourth line center...

(sorry for the mistake i made in this text, i'm not very good in english...)

Mathieu_habsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 05:53 PM
  #2
go_habs_go
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,213
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to go_habs_go
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu_habsfan View Post
It's really interesting to see that Yanic Perreault is doing really well with the coyotes of phoenix so far... 6 goals and 3 assists in only 8 games! Good for a player with a contract of 700 000 dollars a year.

what's going on with him!? 22 goals and 35 assists in 69 games last year and he's doing very well this year. Here, we have to consider that he has one of the best face off pourcentage around the league with 62.7% (that's means that he is very important when we have to win the face off). Last year, 10 power play goals and 2 ppg this year in eight games, not really really good but interesting because last year the second best in montreal was kovalev with 9 goals. He's not so bad in his defensive play -3 for last year and this year too.

My question is : Did Montreal made a mistake to not resign him after the season he had with the predators last year? Or it was a mistake to let him go in 2003-2004

I think he was not the kind of player that Montreal needed... I was'nt happy to see him go and I think that he would be a good fourth line center...

(sorry for the mistake i made in this text, i'm not very good in english...)

lol...i agree he is a good player, i have always liked him as well..but i really dont think you would sign Perreault to play him on a fourth line...so what? you would play him with Downey and Murray? that would be a joke..if you want Perreault he would have to be in the top 2 lines in order for him to produce..although he might of looked good in between Kovalev and Samsonov..but then again maybe not..i dont really think the Habs have the need for him.

go_habs_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 05:59 PM
  #3
Mathieu_habsfan
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6
vCash: 500
Does someone know on what line he's playing this year and with who? is it with really good players?

Here you have a good point because Perreault is not a good playmaker, he is good to score some goals but i think that he would be good with kovalev because he is good to make passes. The only reason why i think he would not be a great center for kovalev and samsonov is that he is not fast on the ice...

Mathieu_habsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 06:02 PM
  #4
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,365
vCash: 500
Perreault is a Kind of role player . His problem is his slow speed and his defensive game . But when you ask him to do a job , he will do it . Don't forget that the season Koivu was out , he bring the team to the playoffs , something that Saku didn't make himself the previous season ...

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 06:05 PM
  #5
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
Perreault is a Kind of role player . His problem is his slow speed and his defensive game . But when you ask him to do a job , he will do it . Don't forget that the season Koivu was out , he bring the team to the playoffs , something that Saku didn't make himself the previous season ...
And don't forget that with Saku out, the Habs failed miserably at winning in the playoffs.

Funny how that is, eh?

__________________
Yours in Christ,

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 06:08 PM
  #6
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
Perreault is a Kind of role player . His problem is his slow speed and his defensive game . But when you ask him to do a job , he will do it . Don't forget that the season Koivu was out , he bring the team to the playoffs , something that Saku didn't make himself the previous season ...
Are you really claiming Perreault brought Montreal to the playoffs?

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 06:14 PM
  #7
TheRocket
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu_habsfan View Post
Does someone know on what line he's playing this year and with who? is it with really good players?
The only player I remember playing with Perrault is Nagy. Not sure if they play together all the time, but they have some good chemistry from what I have seen.

TheRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 06:15 PM
  #8
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Are you really claiming Perreault brought Montreal to the playoffs?
I am going to answer you with a question ; do you know the meaning of this ;

I just made a joke because i was sure that Waffledave was going to answered something ( he's very emotive concerning Saku )

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 06:15 PM
  #9
KaptainKourage*
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: St-Georges de Beauce
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,151
vCash: 500
Yanci Perreault dont get respect at all. He dont get any when he was with the Habs, because of this... of Claude Julien that keep benching him, and he dont get anymore more because he's playing with the Coyotes and no one give a **** about the coyotes.

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 06:19 PM
  #10
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
I am going to answer you with a question ; do you know the meaning of this ;

I just made a joke because i was sure that Waffledave was going to answered something ( he's very emotive concerning Saku )
Oh so you were baiting then? That's against the rules you know.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 06:47 PM
  #11
Mathieu_habsfan
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
Perreault is a Kind of role player . His problem is his slow speed and his defensive game . But when you ask him to do a job , he will do it . Don't forget that the season Koivu was out , he bring the team to the playoffs , something that Saku didn't make himself the previous season ...
-3 in a season of 69 games and 57 points is not a problem IMO considering that Mike Sillinger had a season of 63 points and -17, Paul Kariya with 85 points and -6. Those players are in the same team last year...

Mathieu_habsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 06:49 PM
  #12
Little Nilan
Registered User
 
Little Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Praha
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainKourage View Post
Yanci Perreault dont get respect at all. He dont get any when he was with the Habs, because of this... of Claude Julien that keep benching him, and he dont get anymore more because he's playing with the Coyotes and no one give a **** about the coyotes.
I'm pretty glad Perreault is on another team, I think if the Habs wanted a center like him, they'd have kept a better player in Ribeiro.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 06:53 PM
  #13
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu_habsfan View Post
-3 in a season of 69 games and 57 points is not a problem IMO considering that Mike Sillinger had a season of 63 points and -17, Paul Kariya with 85 points and -6. Those players are in the same team last year...
+/- isn't a reflection of a player's defensive abilities.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 06:58 PM
  #14
Mathieu_habsfan
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6
vCash: 500
Why not? It's not the better proof that I can do its true... but its a good way to see how many goals were scored when he was on the ice... i think it can be a good indice... (dont know how we say it in english...)

Mathieu_habsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 07:02 PM
  #15
NewGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu_habsfan View Post
Why not? It's not the better proof that I can do its true... but its a good way to see how many goals were scored when he was on the ice... i think it can be a good indice... (dont know how we say it in english...)
A better indicator of Perrault's contribution to the Predators is the number of playoff games he sat out as a healthy scratch (5 of 6).

NewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 07:12 PM
  #16
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, cālisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,737
vCash: 500
Contrary to general belief, Yanic Perreault is a self-centered human being, caring only about his stats. When he was in Montreal, he complained galore about his icetime. It wasn't known to the general public, because the media was protecting him. But the truth of the matter was that he whined alot behind closed doors.

Does it surprise you that he signed with Pheonix? He was offered the chance to play for the Hens but preferred playing for a team bound for the dumpster from the get go. The reason? He would get more ice time, thus having more chance to get some points and help his cause next season for a bigger contract.

That's how Yanic Perreault thinks.

I'm just happy he's far from the Habs.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 07:13 PM
  #17
Tatay Farlo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: India
Posts: 1,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Tatay Farlo Send a message via MSN to Tatay Farlo Send a message via Yahoo to Tatay Farlo
Julien was an idiot to screw with Perreault. Best face-off guy in the NHL and we let him rot on the 4th line. Good for him to get his scoring going. It's obvious he has skill but never really got the chance to make it happen in Montreal. I think he would look great right now between Kovalev and Samsonov.

Tatay Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 07:14 PM
  #18
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, cālisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatay Farlo View Post
Julien was an idiot to screw with Perreault. Best face-off guy in the NHL and we let him rot on the 4th line. Good for him to get his scoring going. It's obvious he has skill but never really got the chance to make it happen in Montreal. I think he would look great right now between Kovalev and Samsonov.
Perreault was good on faceoffs. That was it. He was a whiner. A hypocrite.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 07:14 PM
  #19
Little Nilan
Registered User
 
Little Nilan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Praha
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 8,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatay Farlo View Post
Julien was an idiot to screw with Perreault. Best face-off guy in the NHL and we let him rot on the 4th line. Good for him to get his scoring going. It's obvious he has skill but never really got the chance to make it happen in Montreal. I think he would look great right now between Kovalev and Samsonov.
Perreault was a liability more often then not and I'd say Julien's hockey knowledge far exceeds yours.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 07:19 PM
  #20
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 20,466
vCash: 700
I don't think better stats will do anything for him, last season he had good numbers and no one dared to sign him.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 07:29 PM
  #21
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, cālisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
I don't think better stats will do anything for him, last season he had good numbers and no one dared to sign him.
Would you sign a guy that's more interested in his stats than in winning? I wouldn't.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 08:08 PM
  #22
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu_habsfan View Post
Why not? It's not the better proof that I can do its true... but its a good way to see how many goals were scored when he was on the ice... i think it can be a good indice... (dont know how we say it in english...)
Indice = indication. Not so far from eachother.

Anyway, it's not a good indication because coaches know Perreault's a liability in his own zone, for example, so he'll be protected. By protecting a player, a coach only puts the player out on the ice against the opposition's third or fourth lines, and limits their ice-time on even-strength in general. That's what coaches do with Perreault, Ribeiro, and every player that is a liability in the neutral and defensive zone.

Perreault is known to be a problem-player in every area of the game outside of his shot and his faceoff ability. His faceoff ability is also an overstated stat because he's just not a quality faceoff player when it comes to sticking with your man if you lose the draw. Let me explain:

Rod Brind'Amour and Chris Drury are both excellent on faceoffs. They both will tend to score lower in faceoff win % than Perreault, yet they are still superior faceoff centermen to Perreault.

How?

Because if either Brind'Amour or Drury lose a defensive zone faceoff, you can rest assured that they'll do everything humanly possible to stick to their man and ensure he does not get a scoring chance against.

A major part of being a good faceoff man is the physicality of what happens after the draw's been taken. It is not infrequent to see Perreault win a draw straight back but forget to take his man who winds up hammering Perreault's teammate along the boards and winning a battle because Perreault failed to compete physically after the draw was taken.


Further, you don't need to believe me on this sort of thing, but you do need to admit there's something fishy if a known commodity like Perreault who's been in and around the league for over a decade, put up career numbers last season at a bargain-basement salary, had serious problems finding a job this year.

Perreault's a mercenary; not a good player, but has a couple of good attributes which make him filler for bad teams. Good teams do not want Perreault.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 08:09 PM
  #23
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
I don't think better stats will do anything for him, last season he had good numbers and no one dared to sign him.
I disagree. If Perreault doesn't put up good stats he never cuts it in the NHL. His game revolves around stats and he's survived in the league as a filler for bad teams this long as a result of that fact.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 08:11 PM
  #24
saskhab
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 994
vCash: 500
He had off-season surgery which is why he wasn't signed until recently.

He was a healthy scratch for the Preds, but I wonder if he was injured (since he did need off-season surgery). It certainly seemed to come out of nowhere, though I admit I wasn't following the Preds closely late in the regular season.

But he's a good regular season performer. His liabilities do beome more pronounced come crunch time, though.

It'd be interesting if he pads his stats and gets traded at the deadline.

Did Montreal make a mistake? We finished 7th with him and 7th without him. Hard to say it had an effect. We got Bonk instead, remember.

saskhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2006, 08:13 PM
  #25
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhab View Post
He had off-season surgery which is why he wasn't signed until recently.
I don't believe this to be true. Perreault claimed many times he was in shape and taking offers.

EDIT: And his low salary is evidence enough to demonstrate how much of a demand there is for Perreault.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.